Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,676 members, 7,837,502 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 05:36 AM

Why Did The Bible Not Continue After The Book Of Revelations? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did The Bible Not Continue After The Book Of Revelations? (1501 Views)

The Most Blessed Woman In The Bible (not Mary) / Does Life Continue After Death. Psalm 146 Vs 4, Genesis 3 Vs 19, Job 14 Vs 14 Ex / Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did The Bible Not Continue After The Book Of Revelations? by Steep(m): 8:30pm On Nov 14, 2023
tctrills:

Oga you obviously did not read it. Here is the very first line,
For we know in part and we prophesy in part...
Even the apostles of Christ only knew part and prophesied in part. So there again, you are wrong.
start from the beginning of chapter 13, Paul is speaking of spiritual gift. The scripture is completed. Paul already said the mysteries of christ has being revealed, but that does not mean God no longer reveals things but however they are subject to scriptures.
Re: Why Did The Bible Not Continue After The Book Of Revelations? by tctrills: 8:56pm On Nov 14, 2023
Steep:
start from the beginning of chapter 13, Paul is speaking of spiritual gift. The scripture is completed. Paul already said the mysteries of christ has being revealed, but that does not mean God no longer reveals things but however they are subject to scriptures.
Sir it's obvious that Paul speaks of spiritual gifts and he also clearly stated that he knows in part and prophesies in part. Or did you not read it.
Again what is the meaning of a mystery?
It means something that is difficult or impossible to understand or explain.
Does this mean that everything about Christ has been revealed.
Do you really think that everything God knows can be contained in the 66 books in the bible.
Oga there are more things about God that are not in the bible then what we have in the bible.
All the books cannot contain all the works of God.
Again why would God raise up 2 witnesses at the last days if the bible contained everything.
You have so many questions unanswered.
Re: Why Did The Bible Not Continue After The Book Of Revelations? by paxonel(m): 9:01pm On Nov 14, 2023
tctrills:

Oga science and the gospel of Jesus Christ are not of equal importance.
Now what would happen to me if I have no understanding of science but I believe in Jesus Christ?
believing in Jesus has nothing to do with understanding your world.
If you were to be employed as a caterer and you don't know how to cook rice when it is needed, there is nothing Jesus can do for you in that aspect except you learn the science of cooking rice which is important for the job.

Answer; I would be saved in the kingdom of God.
you being saved in the kingdom only require Jesus.
That has nothing to with whether you understand science or not.

So you see, both are important for you equally.
Jesus is important where it is needed, which is your salvation. And science is important where it is needed, which is this world.
You can't do away with any of them.

It is important to understand that science encompasses everything you do to be alive
Re: Why Did The Bible Not Continue After The Book Of Revelations? by tctrills: 10:14pm On Nov 14, 2023
paxonel:
believing in Jesus has nothing to do with understanding your world.
If you were to be employed as a caterer and you don't know how to cook rice when it is needed, there is nothing Jesus can do for you in that aspect except you learn the science of cooking rice which is important for the job.
you being saved in the kingdom only require Jesus.
That has nothing to with whether you understand science or not.

So you see, both are important for you equally.
Jesus is important where it is needed, which is your salvation. And science is important where it is needed, which is this world.
You can't do away with any of them.

It is important to understand that science encompasses everything you do to be alive
Are both important? Yes
Are both equally important? No
Many human beings have lived without understanding science but no one would have eternal life without Jesus Christ.
Not every knowledge is of equal importance.
There is no knowledge more important than the knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus.
The Knowledge Peter the fisherman had is of greater worth than the knowledge of Albert Einstein.
Re: Why Did The Bible Not Continue After The Book Of Revelations? by tctrills: 12:24am On Nov 15, 2023
Steep:
Sir I hope you read my last post in reply to these points you rose here. But now I want to point you to other verses in the bible to give you more understanding.
Let's begin with Revelations 19:10
And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
The highlighted phase gives us some answers.
The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
As long as the testimony of Christ has been present, there has always been the spirit of prophecy.
Prophecy would end only when the testimony of Jesus Christ ends.
Now to another verse.

Numbers 11:29
And Moses said unto him, Enviest thou for my sake? would God that all the Lord'S people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!

God actually wants us all to be his prophets. We all can receive his revelations. Even though the bible is finished, revelations are not ended.
God still speaks to man
Re: Why Did The Bible Not Continue After The Book Of Revelations? by paxonel(m): 1:38am On Nov 15, 2023
tctrills:

Are both important? Yes
Are both equally important? No
Many human beings have lived without understanding science but no one would have eternal life without Jesus Christ.
Not every knowledge is of equal importance.
There is no knowledge more important than the knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus.
The Knowledge Peter the fisherman had is of greater worth than the knowledge of Albert Einstein.
Ok, I agree with you on this and I'm getting it now because it is important to shift grounds when I see something new to learn..
What you are saying is, on the basis of, if the individual is not saved then he needs salvation first which is most important than anything else ?

But all i have been saying is, when the individual already has the knowledge of Christ and is saved which is most important, then acquiring the knowledge of how his environment works is also important .

To this effect, i totally agree with you that the revelations given to modern pastors are most important than the revelations of science. But only on the backdrop that the revelations are only of Jesus Christ and his salvation. grin
Re: Why Did The Bible Not Continue After The Book Of Revelations? by Steep(m): 4:34am On Nov 15, 2023
tctrills:

Sir it's obvious that Paul speaks of spiritual gifts and he also clearly stated that he knows in part and prophesies in part. Or did you not read it.
Again what is the meaning of a mystery?
It means something that is difficult or impossible to understand or explain.
Does this mean that everything about Christ has been revealed.
Do you really think that everything God knows can be contained in the 66 books in the bible.
Oga there are more things about God that are not in the bible then what we have in the bible.
All the books cannot contain all the works of God.
Again why would God raise up 2 witnesses at the last days if the bible contained everything.
You have so many questions unanswered.
We are talking of scriptures, which is specifically for the purpose of revealing christ and guiding the doctrines including making corrections.
You have to understand that context is important in anything, "The mystery of Christ" is actually referred to the plan of salvation for men in christ Jesus and that is the ultimate purpose of the scripture, that mystery has already being revealed and this also include the book of revelations ehich shows us the future the event leading to the coming of Jesus kingdom.l
John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

You ignored where I told you God still reveals things but they are subject of scriptures.
Every prophecy has a purpose but only the scriptures can form the basis of doctrines and teachings for the church. The scripture is literally the authority by which all other prophecy would be judged.
In the days of Moses there were prophets who prophesy yet none of them had their prophecy as scripture, in time of Paul and the other apostles there were prophets and teachers but none of them were recognized as scripture.

God's knowledge is infinite but he only reveals what is necessary and sufficient for us.
Even when Paul was taken to the third heaven he was not allowed to reveal anything why its not necessary for the church to know.

"We know in part, prophecy in part" This is our individual knowledge of God and of his kingdom.
What God has given us is all we need to know to enable is to be fruitful and bring others to christ and that is the scriptures.
Re: Why Did The Bible Not Continue After The Book Of Revelations? by Steep(m): 4:42am On Nov 15, 2023
tctrills:

Sir I hope you read my last post in reply to these points you rose here. But now I want to point you to other verses in the bible to give you more understanding.
Let's begin with Revelations 19:10
And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
The highlighted phase gives us some answers.
The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
As long as the testimony of Christ has been present, there has always been the spirit of prophecy.
Prophecy would end only when the testimony of Jesus Christ ends.
Now to another verse.

Numbers 11:29
And Moses said unto him, Enviest thou for my sake? would God that all the Lord'S people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!

God actually wants us all to be his prophets. We all can receive his revelations. Even though the bible is finished, revelations are not ended.
God still speaks to man
Only the words that are necessary and sufficient enough those are what God gave us as scripture.
Imagine if every prophecy are included as scripture the whole words will not contain.

After the death of the apostles the scripture was closed, why the apostles were the ones that received authority directly from Jesus yo lead and teach the church.
Every other pastor after them are just leaders of a local assembly which are subject to the teachings of the apostle.
Re: Why Did The Bible Not Continue After The Book Of Revelations? by tctrills: 8:25am On Nov 15, 2023
[quote author=Steep post=126974148]
Only the words that are necessary and sufficient enough those are what God gave us as scripture.
Imagine if every prophecy are included as scripture the whole words will not contain
You and I do not have the power to decide what is necessary or when the revelations of God should end.

After the death of the apostles the scripture was closed, why the apostles were the ones that received authority directly from Jesus yo lead and teach the church.
I partly agree with you. After the death of the Apostles, the bible was complied but the idea that the revelations of God came to an end is your opinion and not supported by the word of God.
Every other pastor after them are just leaders of a local assembly which are subject to the teachings of the apostle.
Every true pastor is entitled to the direction of the spirit. Every true pastor is entitled to revelations. Every true pastor is entitled to receiving the word of God. The duty of a pastor is not just to read the bible to his sheep, anyone can do that. A pastor is entitled to receiving heavenly instructions just like the apostles did.
Re: Why Did The Bible Not Continue After The Book Of Revelations? by tctrills: 8:34am On Nov 15, 2023
Steep:
We are talking of scriptures, which is specifically for the purpose of revealing christ and guiding the doctrines including making corrections.
You have to understand that context is important in anything, "The mystery of Christ" is actually referred to the plan of salvation for men in christ Jesus and that is the ultimate purpose of the scripture, that mystery has already being revealed and this also include the book of revelations ehich shows us the future the event leading to the coming of Jesus kingdom.l
John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

You ignored where I told you God still reveals things but they are subject of scriptures.
Every prophecy has a purpose but only the scriptures can form the basis of doctrines and teachings for the church. The scripture is literally the authority by which all other prophecy would be judged.
In the days of Moses there were prophets who prophesy yet none of them had their prophecy as scripture, in time of Paul and the other apostles there were prophets and teachers but none of them were recognized as scripture.

God's knowledge is infinite but he only reveals what is necessary and sufficient for us.
Even when Paul was taken to the third heaven he was not allowed to reveal anything why its not necessary for the church to know.

"We know in part, prophecy in part" This is our individual knowledge of God and of his kingdom.
What God has given us is all we need to know to enable is to be fruitful and bring others to christ and that is the scriptures.

Let's discuss what you wrote here. You quoted the words of Christ to the Jews.

At the time Christ made this sentence, the only scripture available was the old testament. There was no new testament. He was telling the Jews that the old testament testifies of him. He was not telling them that it was the end to revelations.

Then you said, God still reveals things but they are subject of scriptures.
That again counters everything you have said. If as you say, everything has already be revealed then there is absolutely no need for him to still reveal. Secondly, it is not written anywhere that his revelations are subject of scripture. That is your opinion.
If his revelations are subject of scripture, we don't need revelations, we only need to read the scripture.
Re: Why Did The Bible Not Continue After The Book Of Revelations? by tctrills: 8:37am On Nov 15, 2023
paxonel:

Ok, I agree with you on this and I'm getting it now because it is important to shift grounds when I see something new to learn..
What you are saying is, on the basis of, if the individual is not saved then he needs salvation first which is most important than anything else ?

But all i have been saying is, when the individual already has the knowledge of Christ and is saved which is most important, then acquiring the knowledge of how his environment works is also important .

To this effect, i totally agree with you that the revelations given to modern pastors are most important than the revelations of science. But only on the backdrop that the revelations are only of Jesus Christ and his salvation. grin
100% agreed

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bible Not Continue After The Book Of Revelations? by tctrills: 9:56am On Nov 15, 2023
Steep:

Now you seem to forget that the bible was not compiled by the Apostles of Jesus Christ. It was put together 100s of years after there death but the Roman Catholic church.
Now we can't tell how they decided to compile the bible but it's so clear that not every scripture was compiled in the bible. Maybe these records were lost at the time or maybe the leaders for there personal reasons chose not to add them.
I am sure you have never come across these but then, we learn everyday.
Here are a list of some of these records.
There are many sacred writings mentioned in the scriptures that we do not have today, among which are these books and writers: the covenant (Ex. 24:7), the wars of the Lord (Num. 21:14), Jasher (Josh. 10:13; 2 Sam. 1:18), the acts of Solomon (1 Kgs. 11:41), Samuel the seer (1 Chr. 29:29), Nathan the prophet (2 Chr. 9:29), Shemaiah the prophet (2 Chr. 12:15), Iddo the prophet (2 Chr. 13:22), Jehu (2 Chr. 20:34), the sayings of the seers (2 Chr. 33:19), Enoch (Jude 1:14),

Let's talk after you have made your research.

Also research the below

An epistle of Paul to the Corinthians, earlier than our present 1 Corinthians (1 Cor. 5:9); possibly an earlier epistle to the Ephesians (Eph. 3:3); an epistle to the Church at Laodicea (Col. 4:16); and some prophecies of Enoch, known to Jude (Jude 1:14). To these rather clear references to inspired writings other than our current Bible may be added another list that has allusions to writings that may or may not be contained within our present text but may perhaps be known by a different title; for example, the book of the covenant (Ex. 24:7), which may or may not be included in the current book of Exodus; the manner of the kingdom, written by Samuel (1 Sam. 10:25); the rest of the acts of Uzziah written by Isaiah (2 Chr. 26:22). The foregoing items attest to the fact that our present Bible does not contain all of the word of the Lord that He gave to His people in former times and remind us that the Bible, in its present form, is rather incomplete. Matthew’s reference to a prophecy that Jesus would be a Nazarene (2:23) is interesting when it is considered that our present Old Testament seems to have no statement as such. There is a possibility, however, that Matthew alluded to Isa. 11:1, which prophesies of the Messiah as a Branch from the root of Jesse, the father of David. The Hebrew word for branch in this case is netzer, the source word of Nazarene and Nazareth. Additional references to the Branch as the Savior and Messiah are found in Jer. 23:5; 33:15; Zech. 3:8; 6:12; these use a synonymous Hebrew word for branch, tzemakh.
Re: Why Did The Bible Not Continue After The Book Of Revelations? by Steep(m): 9:39am On Nov 16, 2023
Steep:

Imagine if every prophecy are included as scripture the whole words will not contain.
You and I do not have the power to decide what is necessary or when the revelations of God should end.

I partly agree with you. After the death of the Apostles, the bible was complied but the idea that the revelations of God came to an end is your opinion and not supported by the word of God.
Every true pastor is entitled to the direction of the spirit. Every true pastor is entitled to revelations. Every true pastor is entitled to receiving the word of God. The duty of a pastor is not just to read the bible to his sheep, anyone can do that. A pastor is entitled to receiving heavenly instructions just like the apostles did.
Oga you have no point at all.
No one can preach any gospel beside what the apostles have preached.
There is no revelation that can go beyond what the apostles have taught.

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

You think God is like a man that contradict himself, no he does not.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

An Interview With God / The Antichrist: Read It Here Again, Is It True?, Do U Believes In It? / "really? You Don't Look/talk Like A Muslim O!"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.