Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

Bayelsa: Voters Get N40,000 In Massive Vote-buying - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayelsa: Voters Get N40,000 In Massive Vote-buying (295 Views)

Peter Obi Caught In Massive Lie About His Achievements! - Reno Omokri (Video) / Christian Will Show APC The Meaning Of Massive Vote In 2023 / Ondo Decides 2020: Massive Vote-buying By Alleged APC Agent At Polling Unit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bayelsa: Voters Get N40,000 In Massive Vote-buying by Kuginzi: 7:26am On Nov 12, 2023
Voters said they were paid between N12,000 and N40,000 in a massive vote-trading that characterised the gubernatorial election in Bayelsa on Saturday.

Governor Duoye Diri of the PDP and his main opposition, Timipre Sylva of the APC, also traded blames and accusations over violence; while Labour Party (LP) candidate, Udengs Eradiri, said he was overwhelmed by the level of vote buying.

Eradiri, who spoke at Agudama-Ekpetiama after voting at the poll, said that voters approached him to negotiate but he declined because his interest was for a better Bayelsa State.

“My greatest disappointment was with a woman from this community whom I offered a scholarship to her son, she sold her vote for N14,000 and I was disappointed,” he said.

Speaking after voting, Sylva accused security agents, especially the army of conniving with the PDP to rig his party out.

Sylva, who voted at Polling Unit 4, Dukuraku Central Open Space, Okpoama, Ward 4, Brass Local Government, alongside his wife, Alaingi, however expressed confidence that his party will coast to victory at the end of the day.

"For INEC, there is a lot of improvement, this is a human system, we expect there will be lapses but I was very shocked how that register was not uploaded in my ward, but we believe there is still room for improvement,” he said.

Also, Governor Diri accused Sylva and his party of aiding the attack on PDP members in Nembe-Basambiri, Nembe LGA of the state.

Diri, who voted at Kalama-owei Wari Unit 4 Ward 6 Sampou in Kolokuma/Opokuma LGA, commended the INEC for improving their facilities and training of personnel.

He said: “I think this is an improvement on all other elections that we have participated in, and it’s very seamless, very fast and if it continues like this, then I want to believe that INEC is improving not only on their facilities but the training of their personnel that are handling the process.

But we have concerns about Nembe-Basambiri, our party members, most of them have been excluded, our agents have been stopped from going into Nembe, that is a very serious concern. Our party has written to INEC and they have to take drastic action to ensure our people are allowed to vote.”

Earlier, suspected armed thugs had gone on rampage in some parts of the state.

The thugs, who invaded polling units in Southern Ijaw and Sagbama local Government Areas, with heavy gun shots, had hijacked elections materials.

The incident, which happened at about 9am at Agorogbene, unit 6, 7 and 8 in Ward 11 of the Local Government, had the thugs from Southern Ijaw chase away voters and destroy election materials.

Attempts by the electorate to challenge the armed men were replied with heavy gun shots.

Also, around 9am, the armed thugs stormed the RAC centre and carted away election materials for five out of the seven units.

At Olodiama ward 9 in Unit 14 of Southern Ijaw Local Government area, gunmen stormed the unit but were repelled after an emergency call to security men.

Sporadic gunshots were also reported around the Abuja/Imbikiri area of Brass ward 2 and at about 3.30am on Saturday, gunmen suspected to be political thugs attacked the RAC centre in Oginibiri in Brass Ward 8, but they were resisted.

Kogi: INEC staff nabbed with pre-filled result sheets

The Kogi State off-cycle governorship election witnessed pockets of skirmishes in some areas.

The major contenders in the poll were Usman Ododo of All Progressives Congress (APC), Muritala Ajaka of Social Democratic Party (SDP) and Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)’s Dino Melaye.

Our correspondents report that there was high turnout of voters across the 21 local government areas of the state.

In Lokoja, the state capital, and several other places, voters trooped out as early as 7am to their polling units to exercise their civic duty.

Security was beefed as military personnel and those of other sister security agencies mounted road blocks in strategic places, streets and major highways in the state to curtail criminal activities.

A chopper was seen hovering in Lokoja metropolis and its environs to ensure safety of the voters.

Daily Trust on Sunday gathered that the electoral umpire, the INEC delivered voting materials at appropriate time while voting commenced as scheduled at about 8:30am.

BVAS performance

There were reports of technical glitches in uploading results after declaration in some parts of Kogi East senatorial district.

https://dailytrust.com/bayelsa-voters-get-n40000-in-massive-vote-buying/#google_vignette

Re: Bayelsa: Voters Get N40,000 In Massive Vote-buying by FarSide: 7:58am On Nov 12, 2023
One good reason I don't pity Nigerians no matter how hard the country is. I will be the last idiot to sell myself out for a token. I have conscience that judges my actions. Why would someone trade son's scholarship award for 14k?? That's madness
I think all of us are mad in this country.
Re: Bayelsa: Voters Get N40,000 In Massive Vote-buying by rolams(m): 7:59am On Nov 12, 2023
Is God not wonderful?
Re: Bayelsa: Voters Get N40,000 In Massive Vote-buying by Bliss62: 8:05am On Nov 12, 2023
Voters get 40,000 politicians get SUV convoys and Allowance

Good transaction
Re: Bayelsa: Voters Get N40,000 In Massive Vote-buying by abhosts(m): 8:06am On Nov 12, 2023
Re: Bayelsa: Voters Get N40,000 In Massive Vote-buying by abhosts(m): 8:06am On Nov 12, 2023
LOL. They would vote the worst among their ranks, then resort to prayers so the useless choice they made can transform to Mandela or Ghandi overnight. When their useless leaders do what useless leaders do, like degrading the quality of their lives, they start blaming Colonialists and White people for their plight.
Re: Bayelsa: Voters Get N40,000 In Massive Vote-buying by Available9: 8:11am On Nov 12, 2023
Silver distributing public funds
Re: Bayelsa: Voters Get N40,000 In Massive Vote-buying by tungamaje: 8:29am On Nov 12, 2023
No wonder Nigerian politicians pauperized their citizens so that they must vote them to continue to rule them else they die of hunger. 40000 naira equivalent to less than $4

(1) (Reply)

Kano Governorship Appeal: Judge Faces Judicial Council Wrath Over Clerical Error / No More Free Money / LABOUR Party National Youth Leader Beaten To Stupor In Edo By Party Members (VID

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.