Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,592 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) (32266 Views)

Mikel Obi Spends Time With His Twin Girls, Ava And Mia / Olga Diyachenko Welcomes Nigeria To Russia With Loved Up Photo With Mikel Obi / Olga Diyachenko, Mikel Obi's Wife Reveals How They Met & Started Dating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by DesChyko: 5:53am On Nov 14, 2023
orohbirodeysmel:
Did Kanu win Nations cup, winning Nations cup made Mikel bigger than him.

Quick question: Ronaldo De Lima has won 2 World Cups with Brazil. Dani Alves did not win any World Cup with Brazil. Out of those two, who is the most decorated player?
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by Hausa(m): 5:53am On Nov 14, 2023
neatguy:
The fact remains that Mikel is still the most successful and decorated Nigeria footballer and most of his haters who compare and rate him below certain players are simply Anambra hating, fellow Igbos who just hate him because he is from Anambra, plain and simple.

If Mikel were to come from Enugu or Imo state, no player would be compared to him with all the decorations he got unless the person raising such argument would be roasted by online molesters.

If you watched the scintillating moments of Mikel on the pitch, you would not but understand why Chelsea kept him for up to 10yrs even as champions in England.

If you think it's easy, go to Manchester City now as it stands today and sit on the bench for 10 years, let's see how you are going to do that.
Nwanne, chillax.
I'm from Anambra.
While Mikel won accolades, I wouldn't put him anywhere near Kanu. At all at all.
It hurts me till tomorrow that something was lost after he moved to Chelsea. Because the Mikel of the u20 wc in 2005 was totally different. A beast, to put it mildly. Just like something was lost in Iheanacho's game after moving to City - as compared to his game play at the 2013 u17 wc.

But that's for achievement.
When talking about skill, ability, football iq, technicality, etc., Kanu & Okocha arguably stand out at the top in Nigeria football.

***Note this caveat:
For someone that have played this football very well and studied the game properly, it's important to note that footballers from Imo and Abia are far more gifted than those from Anambra, Enugu and Ebonyi.
You heard it from an Anambra son of the soil.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by BigIyanga: 5:59am On Nov 14, 2023
Guyman01:
Also the only player who grew up in Nigeria precisely Jos and could easily switch from Nigeria to British accent unlike Kanu Nwankwo, JayJay Okocha and Garba Lawal whose Owerri, Enugu and Sokoto Igbo and Hausa phonetics interference increased by 70% after spending 20 years across Europe grin
Does Ronaldo speak with British accent? Is accent trophy… Naija always ranking useless things
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by victorazyvictor(m): 6:04am On Nov 14, 2023
Grace attracted by team mates.
How many African & World best did you win to match your claim?
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by BigIyanga: 6:05am On Nov 14, 2023
neatguy:
The fact remains that Mikel is still the most successful and decorated Nigeria footballer and most of his haters who compare and rate him below certain players are simply Anambra hating, fellow Igbos who just hate him because he is from Anambra, plain and simple.

If Mikel were to come from Enugu or Imo state, no player would be compared to him with all the decorations he got unless the person raising such argument would be roasted by online molesters.

If you watched the scintillating moments of Mikel on the pitch, you would not but understand why Chelsea kept him for up to 10yrs even as champions in England.

If you think it's easy, go to Manchester City now as it stands today and sit on the bench for 10 years, let's see how you are going to do that.
Story. Per capita, Imo, Abia and Delta produce better and more skillful players than Anambra.. Nobody is hating on anybody here. Kanu won UCL at 19/20 yrs.. his 1st intl club. Got signed by Inter Milan.. went for heart surgery and still got signed by Arsenal the biggest club in EPL at that time. Mikel played for only 1 club as an average midfielder.

1 Like

Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by victorazyvictor(m): 6:06am On Nov 14, 2023
orohbirodeysmel:

Did Kanu win Nations cup, winning Nations cup made Mikel bigger than him.

Did Mike win African best?
Una go just dey talk like ppl wey dey open their heads. Mikel achievements was affiliated by other teammate's abilities.

1 Like

Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by Nobody: 6:07am On Nov 14, 2023
Hausa:
Nwanne, chillax.
I'm from Anambra.
While Mikel won accolades, I wouldn't put him anywhere near Kanu. At all at all.
It hurts me till tomorrow that something was lost after he moved to Chelsea. Because the Mikel of the u20 wc in 2005 was totally different. A beast, to put it mildly. Just like something was lost in Iheanacho's game after moving to City - as compared to his game play at the 2013 u17 wc.

But that's for achievement.
When talking about skill, ability, football iq, technicality, etc., Kanu & Okocha arguably stand out at the top in Nigeria football.

***Note this caveat:
For someone that have played this football very well and studied the game properly, it's important to note that footballers from Imo and Abia are far more gifted than those from Anambra, Enugu and Ebonyi.
You heard it from an Anambra son of the soil.

I was so pissed after he moved to Chelsea. The dude totally changed. At the U20 WC, Mikel was a bigger star than Messi and we expected him to shine, he just went to Chelsea and became something else.

1 Like

Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by Hausa(m): 6:10am On Nov 14, 2023
BigIyanga:

Story. Per capita, Imo, Abia and Delta produce better and more skillful players than Anambra.. Nobody is hating on anybody here. Kanu won UCL at 19/20 yrs.. his 1st intl club. Got signed by Inter Milan.. went for heart surgery and still got signed by Arsenal the biggest club in EPL at that time. Mikel played for only 1 club as an average midfielder.
Okay, I'm guessing you're from the east to have noticed this.
Apart from producing, even those that didn't end up becoming stars (grass root), Imo and Abia have better football IQ than the other eastern States.

I've observed this not on those that blew, but from those that didn't end up blowing.

1 Like

Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by Hausa(m): 6:13am On Nov 14, 2023
Skyview01:

I was so pissed after he moved to Chelsea. The dude totally changed. At the U20 WC, Mikel was a bigger star than Messi and we expected him to shine, he just went to Chelsea and became something else.
You get!
I'm glad I wasn't the only one paying attention that year.
Something was lost. He never recovered.
Thankfully sha, the trophies compensated.

Even at Kanu and Okocha's age today, their game remains the same. They might not have speed or intensity, but nothing has been lost in their game. It's still always the same.

1 Like

Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by blesdman(m): 6:24am On Nov 14, 2023
Truths9ja:
"I am still the most successful and decorated football player in Nigeria"

- Mikel Obi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xioYzAk09D0?si=OPE1PtwD94iYb5vt
True becos u aligned with the best team during ur era. The great Chelsea club
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by Ekalerdehan: 6:30am On Nov 14, 2023
warlordd:

Abeg, Yekini no be player at all. Somebody that was our worst player in US 94.
That’s the Oduduwa way, sneak in their brother into any conversion. The Bleep is Odegbami and Rashidi
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by Ikpongiton: 6:34am On Nov 14, 2023
The local champion has spoken.
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by Gajagojo: 6:51am On Nov 14, 2023
casualobserver:

Is he the only one that lives abroad? Has he spent as many years abroad as Okocha or Kanu? We know those who have been in the Uk longer than him, they don’t have funny accent, they have the same accent they have when they left for the Uk. Has he been abroad as long as Okonjo Iweala?

It is a fake accent, I was born in the uk, i cam back as a 5 yr old before again leaving, I spent more years in the uk than he has been there, I have a Nigerian accent. We know those who have been there longer than him. Don’t tell me what I know. It is a fake accent , it is an accent that betrays inferiority complex probably because of his background.

As for the Soyinkas and the Achebes, they were Colonial era Nigerians brought up to speak queens English. They were programmed to speak that way. In their days they not only studied English, many of that era also studied English phonetics/diction as a subject in school…it used to be called oral English. A slave colonial mentality concept. I am sure it has since been scrapped. Nigerians who were brought up in Nigeria post independence and who spent their formative years in Nigeria do not have fake accents.

Once you spent your formative years in Nigeria, your accent is fixed. Anyone who has lived abroad will tell you the difference between someone with a fake accent and someone with an inferiority complex seeking acceptance by white. Obis accent is a product of an inferiority complex. Bush man from the ghetto trying to sound like Oyinbo. You rarely see people properly educated with good social status/background speak with a fake accent….like I said it,s a clear sign of insecurity and an inferiority complex.

Can he be more Oyinbo than odemwinge? Odenwinge get fake accent? Abeg stop this nonsense.
Why are you quoting me alongside that clown?

Not sure what you mean by Queens English. What has that got to do with accents
I wonder if you watched the clip? Not sure you are getting the point
Wole Soyinka Sounds different today than he did then. There are unconscious tendencies to change the way one speaks depending on the listener and forum
I am sure Mikel will not speak that way on the streets of Nigeria and I suspect he spent a lot of money and hours training to speak that way .At his age of leaving Nigeria it does not happen naturally but can happen with training and practice
Clearly It is a priority for him
People come to London and lose their Scottish accents with training

1 Like

Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by Hausa(m): 6:52am On Nov 14, 2023
casualobserver:

Is he the only one that lives abroad? Has he spent as many years abroad as Okocha or Kanu? We know those who have been in the Uk longer than him, they don’t have funny accent, they have the same accent they have when they left for the Uk. Has he been abroad as long as Okonjo Iweala?

It is a fake accent, I was born in the uk, i cam back as a 5 yr old before again leaving, I spent more years in the uk than he has been there, I have a Nigerian accent. We know those who have been there longer than him. Don’t tell me what I know. It is a fake accent , it is an accent that betrays inferiority complex probably because of his background.

As for the Soyinkas and the Achebes, they were Colonial era Nigerians brought up to speak queens English. They were programmed to speak that way. In their days they not only studied English, many of that era also studied English phonetics/diction as a subject in school…it used to be called oral English. A slave colonial mentality concept. I am sure it has since been scrapped. Nigerians who were brought up in Nigeria post independence and who spent their formative years in Nigeria do not have fake accents.

Once you spent your formative years in Nigeria, your accent is fixed. Anyone who has lived abroad will tell you the difference between someone with a fake accent and someone with an inferiority complex seeking acceptance by white. Obis accent is a product of an inferiority complex. Bush man from the ghetto trying to sound like Oyinbo. You rarely see people properly educated with good social status/background speak with a fake accent….like I said it,s a clear sign of insecurity and an inferiority complex.

Can he be more Oyinbo than odemwinge? Odenwinge get fake accent? Abeg stop this nonsense.
I needed to point out a few things quickly.
Mikel has probably spent more years abroad than Okonjo - who mostly studied abroad but didn't necessarily live there as long as Mikel.
Odemwingie came to Nigeria early in life but he wasn't also born in an English speaking country but Russian speaking.

That said, I was worried about Mikel's accent and quickly went to do a research. Turns out he's been speaking almost same way for close to 20 years - as there's a video of him on YouTube with a timestamp of about 16 years ago - same accent.
It might be fake ooo, but you've made it sound like such accents can't be learned. It can. Tbh, there's nothing a big deal there. He probably put a lot of effort in learning it and that's possible too.

I'm not saying your assessment on the matter isn't profound, but we shouldn't rule out the fact that such can be learned and learned properly.
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by superjaks(m): 7:18am On Nov 14, 2023
yinkeys:
no nations cup
Mikel did win everything besides the World Cup
Should have won best African player but got robbed
Agreed

But Kanu won African Player of the year award twice ×2
Mikel only came second to Yaya Toure

That's decoration enough, besides he won more trophies more than Mikel

Your argument holds no water

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by geoworldedu: 7:23am On Nov 14, 2023
Bannedlargedx2:

Mikel got 2nd in 2013
We are only talking about winning it, not second.
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by GreatrAnalyst: 7:39am On Nov 14, 2023
DesChyko:
Mikel no suppose talk this thing for outside o.

Kanu dust the shiiiit out of am 🤣🤣

Which website is this please?
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by justmondris: 7:46am On Nov 14, 2023
Stupid football that was only giving back passes
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by briggster: 7:52am On Nov 14, 2023
gracealonev:
Mike Obi and Vincent Enyeama refused to join the Dream Team for 2008 Beijing Olympics. I believe their involvement could have made a difference for our team in clinching the gold medal. But, however, the joke is on both of them.

Get your facts right man. Mikel was dropped by Siasia for his bloated ego.
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by BalogunIdowu(m): 8:19am On Nov 14, 2023
Guyman01:
Also the only player who grew up in Nigeria precisely Jos and could easily switch from Nigeria to British accent unlike Kanu Nwankwo, JayJay Okocha and Garba Lawal whose Owerri, Enugu and Sokoto Igbo and Hausa phonetics interference increased by 70% after spending 20 years across Europe grin

That's the problem with some of you, wanting to speak like a foreigner because you're there...

Indians, Germans, Arabs etc still speak English with their origin showing and it doesn't matter. It's not a sign of intellectual superiority, or success.

Anyways,...
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by saysoo: 8:45am On Nov 14, 2023
Truths9ja:

- Mikel Obi

Mikel Obi, hear this, why are all the Obis deluded? You can't lace Kanu's boot.
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by casualobserver: 8:57am On Nov 14, 2023
Hausa:
I needed to point out a few things quickly.
Mikel has probably spent more years abroad than Okonjo - who mostly studied abroad but didn't necessarily live there as long as Mikel.
Odemwingie came to Nigeria early in life but he wasn't also born in an English speaking country but Russian speaking.

That said, I was worried about Mikel's accent and quickly went to do a research. Turns out he's been speaking almost same way for close to 20 years - as there's a video of him on YouTube with a timestamp of about 16 years ago - same accent.
It might be fake ooo, but you've made it sound like such accents can't be learned. It can. Tbh, there's nothing a big deal there. He probably put a lot of effort in learning it and that's possible too.

I'm not saying your assessment on the matter isn't profound, but we shouldn't rule out the fact that such can be learned and learned properly.

Oga with due respect you are talking nonsense. Kemi Adeosun grew up in England. Okonjo is more than 60 years old she has lived abroad for more than Obi’s time on this earth. Do you hear fake accents from any of them?

My point is he deliberately changed his accent. As you yourself have highlighted, the fact that he changed his accent as soon as he got to the Uk tells you it is deliberate and fake.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by Quebec91(m): 9:02am On Nov 14, 2023
cheesy
Guyman01:
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by gracealonev: 9:05am On Nov 14, 2023
briggster:

Get your facts right man. Mikel was dropped by Siasia for his bloated ego.
So what did you expect? After he rejected invites for the qualifiers. Would that have been fair to the lads that sweated it out?
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by saysoo: 9:09am On Nov 14, 2023
I think Kanu Nankwo is the most decorated footballer in Africa by virtue of the Olympic medal. Is Ronaldo CR7 more decorated than Enzo Fernandez of Chelsea?
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by kushercain: 9:33am On Nov 14, 2023
Emmexguy123:
You got everything free of charge and without contributing anything.

Mikel Obi has the highest Bench in Chelsea.

MIKEL was instrumental to chelsea champions league victory in 2012
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by Ungodly: 9:37am On Nov 14, 2023
Truths9ja:

- Mikel Obi

Nwankwo Kanu (papilo) says hi
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by IkePeters(m): 10:13am On Nov 14, 2023
Kanu Nwankwo is the most decorated and successful player from Nigeria. Records don't lie. You may have more laurels in England, but Kanu has more aggregately from England and other leagues

Truths9ja:

- Mikel Obi

Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by wunmi590(m): 10:14am On Nov 14, 2023
superjaks:
I think Kanu Nwankwo is the most decorated Nigerian player

Don't mind the boy, let him continue capping
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by wunmi590(m): 10:14am On Nov 14, 2023
DesChyko:
Mikel no suppose talk this thing for outside o.

Kanu dust the shiiiit out of am 🤣🤣

Don't mind him, let him continue capping
Re: I Am The Most Successful & Decorated Football Player In Nigeria - Mikel Obi(vid) by mayor1814: 10:37am On Nov 14, 2023
Being the most successful and decorated player doesn't translate to the best or greatest. Last season, Alvarez was more decorated than messi, does that make him greater or better than messi in overall ranking or performance?

Mikel go and sit down. I will rate many Nigerian players more than u in regard to the greatest or best Nigerian players of all time.

Christian "chairman" Chukwu
Segun "mathematical" Odegbami
Austin "Jay Jay" Okocha
Nwankwo Kanu
Emmanuel Amuneke
Finidi George
Rasheed Yekini

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Doctor Canice Ebirim Dies While Watching Nigeria VS Argentina Match / Maduka Okoye : Continue As Nigeria's Goalkeeper? / Ballon D’or: Full List Of Men’s Award Winners From 1956 To 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.