Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,628 members, 7,816,588 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:34 PM

Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo (60848 Views)

Meet Gosiame Thamara Sithole Who Gave Birth To 10 Babies In South Africa / Brothers Visit Akara Seller Who Gave Them Free Snacks Everyday On Way To School / A Thread To Celebrate Our Mothers On Mother's Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by CaptainFM1: 3:38pm On Nov 14, 2023
illicit:
Placebo

Not just placebo effect, but the subtle power of African magic.

If a child is crying in Africa, the mere look from the mother's face will shush the mouth. You look Oyinbo child like that and he/she will increase the volume.

Let us not underestimate what we have. This is how it started and we ditched our local deities and started carrying spiritual books with fictitious stories. Those stories have more placebo effects than these ropes our grand parents used.

3 Likes

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Agunesinjaweola: 3:40pm On Nov 14, 2023
Lasgidi90:
Some mumu things wey our elders dey believe in. Na wa o
Sé O fe dàgbà

2 Likes

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Chidibe212(f): 3:42pm On Nov 14, 2023
Make the baby cry and it will stop. Hiccup occured when air is swallowed, aside other reasons.
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Mayflowa(m): 3:42pm On Nov 14, 2023
BlackhatMentor:
Fishbrain BlackMan

They do it because it works...

It's a natural remedy for hiccup passed down on your mothers from different generations before Oyibo came with their medicine.

It doesn't have to come from overseas and a whiteman before you believe it works.

Same way you can cure cold and flu by placing onion under your foot.

It's like asking a lion why it's chewing a leaf when it feels it has stomach ache or pains.

With your pig brain when you travel abroad and your child develops uncontrollable Hiccups and you take them to the hospital and a whiteman place same stuff on your child's head and it helps stop the problem.

You'll shine your 32 and happily hand them $1000

Why all the insults? Can’t you just make your points politely?

3 Likes

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by BlackhatMentor: 3:43pm On Nov 14, 2023
Mayflowa:

Why all the insults? Can’t you just make your points politely?

Honestly, I can't.
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Angelschofield8(m): 3:49pm On Nov 14, 2023
BlackhatMentor:
Fishbrain BlackMan

It's a natural remedy for hiccup passed down on your mothers from different generations before Oyibo came with their medicine.

It doesn't have to come from overseas and a whiteman before you believe it works.

It's like asking a lion why it's chewing a leaf when it feels it has stomach ache or pains.

With your pig brain when you travel abroad and your child develops uncontrollable Hiccups and you take them to the hospital and a whiteman place same stuff on your child's head and it helps stop the problem.

calm down na,e no reach this extents
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by adioolayi(m): 3:50pm On Nov 14, 2023
Deprofessional:
My grandmother once forbid myself and my brother from taking our medications at the same time.

Reason: it will work on one person only.

grin cheesy grin grin
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by eepeepook: 3:52pm On Nov 14, 2023
I’ve never seen this nor heard of it. Na for trenches una grow.
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Mayeldah(m): 3:56pm On Nov 14, 2023
Before cotton threads were made what were they using then?

3 Likes

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by thedio(m): 3:59pm On Nov 14, 2023
Deprofessional:
My grandmother once forbid myself and my brother from taking our medications at the same time.

Lol. She was afraid of the drug reaction. She was using the first person as specimen grin

2 Likes

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Coolcat95: 4:07pm On Nov 14, 2023
Lasgidi90:
Some mumu things wey our elders dey believe in. Na wa o

TO YOU NA MUMU THINGS

AKPA AMU LIKE YOU

1 Like

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Balablue64: 4:12pm On Nov 14, 2023
BlackhatMentor:
Fishbrain BlackMan

On colos

2 Likes

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by ekwerendi(m): 4:13pm On Nov 14, 2023
Whatever a man believes, it works for him.

2 Likes

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by topatee: 4:13pm On Nov 14, 2023
BlackhatMentor:
Fishbrain BlackMan

It doesn't have to come from overseas and a whiteman before you believe it works........

You don't have to insult and vent your venom on everyone on sm. I can bet you are not using stones and cowries to express your opinion on NL.

2 Likes

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by aremubabs: 4:14pm On Nov 14, 2023
illicit:
Placebo

It is not placebo?

Placebo effect is experienced by people who actually have or feel like they have a medical/health/psychological issue. The placebo is administered by someone of trust like a doctor or pastor who then tells the patient that he is giving them medicine.

Babies don't have such knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by R0LL0N(m): 4:14pm On Nov 14, 2023
Water na the modern solution. Drink water he go go

1 Like

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Godsongang: 4:15pm On Nov 14, 2023
It works alot even for adults
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by kareemkamil(m): 4:16pm On Nov 14, 2023
All I know, we black didn't believe in our self.
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by aremubabs: 4:16pm On Nov 14, 2023
Mayeldah:
Before cotton threads were made what were they using then?

They must have used something else. Then someone experimented with cotton threads.

The whites don't want us to know that we were versed in our own type of medicine. In fact, we had our own anaesthesia for surgery before the whites ever dreamt of coming to our shores.
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Kukutente23: 4:18pm On Nov 14, 2023
princeemmma:
Have you seen any parent do this when there baby have hiccup, do you think it works?
grin grin grin
I asked my mum then and she couldn't explain the relationship between that and hiccup
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Kukutente23: 4:19pm On Nov 14, 2023
Deprofessional:

grin grin grin
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Kukutente23: 4:21pm On Nov 14, 2023
eliwa47:
It has been like that for a long time and it do work!
Work kwa grin grin

1 Like

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Zyggy: 4:21pm On Nov 14, 2023
Ignorance is bliss when you apply placebo
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by AngelicBeing: 4:23pm On Nov 14, 2023
cheesy
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by occfx: 4:27pm On Nov 14, 2023
uncleck:
A lot of useful native technologies have been lost to western civilization disorientation

Cure for leg cancer, convulsion etc are all been lost gradually.
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Lasgidi90(m): 4:32pm On Nov 14, 2023
Coolcat95:

TO YOU NA MUMU THINGS

AKPA AMU LIKE YOU
Na wa o, so I can't give my opinion again?
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Lasgidi90(m): 4:34pm On Nov 14, 2023
Agunesinjaweola:

Sé O fe dàgbà
So I can't give my opinion again?
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Sabiwellwell: 4:40pm On Nov 14, 2023
I disagree with you on this simply because
How would the brain be aware that something is placed on the head. Most times the child will be unaware that something is placed on him, you mught want to say the scalp will feel the thread , but what if the child has much hair on his her ?so how would the brain detect this...??
TotoIsGud4boy:
The white thread serves as a form of distraction for the child’s brain.
As silly as it may sound, the distraction helps to reduce hiccups.

Children as you know are naturally curious. And placing the white thread on either their forehead or hair triggers some sensation that the child may want to know and find ways to adapt.

So the brain direct its activity or concentration towards finding out the new thing on the head. And that tricks the phrenic and vagus nerves to act towards that.
That combination of concentration and distraction cause by the white thread as noted help reset the brain to stop or reduce the number of hiccups.

3 Likes

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by emmatuegbe(m): 4:42pm On Nov 14, 2023
Genzy will always question traditions that worked for our parents. To them, all traditions are myth. lol
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by febble: 4:45pm On Nov 14, 2023
how i fit give 100likes sef

TotoIsGud4boy:

Children as you know are naturally curious. And placing the white thread on either their forehead or hair triggers some sensation that the child may want to know and find ways to adapt.

So the brain direct its activity or concentration towards finding out the new thing on the head. And that tricks the phrenic and vagus nerves to act towards that.
That combination of concentration and distraction cause by the white thread as noted help reset the brain to stop or reduce the number of hiccups.
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by progressing(m): 4:48pm On Nov 14, 2023
All but the insults
BlackhatMentor:
Fishbrain BlackMan

2 Likes

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Angelfrost(m): 4:48pm On Nov 14, 2023
TotoIsGud4boy:

Brilliant...!

It's always refreshing to see people with good IQ on this forum.

Kudos chief!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"My Husband Wants To Kill Me" - Nigerian Woman Cries Out For Help / Help! An Unwanted Pregnancy Is Ruining My Life. / How Many Ladies Can Act Like This Lady If They Catch Their Husbands Cheating?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.