Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,980 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:20 AM

Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo (60832 Views)

Meet Gosiame Thamara Sithole Who Gave Birth To 10 Babies In South Africa / Brothers Visit Akara Seller Who Gave Them Free Snacks Everyday On Way To School / A Thread To Celebrate Our Mothers On Mother's Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Anijay1212(m): 4:49pm On Nov 14, 2023
FalseProphet1:
When I was a young prophet, an old prophet once told me that I don't need to pray, that whenever he's praying I should just say amen and the prayer would cover me. I nearly died during that period.

This I have seen.
grin grin grin
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by pacespot(m): 4:52pm On Nov 14, 2023
One of those old African superstitions

1 Like

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by ispreloaded(m): 4:54pm On Nov 14, 2023
TotoIsGud4boy:
The white thread serves as a form of distraction for the child’s brain.
As silly as it may sound, the distraction helps to reduce hiccups.

Children as you know are naturally curious. And placing the white thread on either their forehead or hair triggers some sensation that the child may want to know and find ways to adapt.

So the brain direct its activity or concentration towards finding out the new thing on the head. And that tricks the phrenic and vagus nerves to act towards that.
That combination of concentration and distraction cause by the white thread as noted help reset the brain to stop or reduce the number of hiccups.
.... U're a G boss.... đź‘Ť
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Exceed15: 4:59pm On Nov 14, 2023
Exactly, I think it's the faith attached to it.
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by DeZoro(m): 5:02pm On Nov 14, 2023
It works only on African soil

1 Like

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by ispreloaded(m): 5:02pm On Nov 14, 2023
Exceed15:
Exactly, I think it's the faith attached to it.
aaahhh grin wahala Africa and backward thinking b like 5n6

1 Like

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by brainhgeek(m): 5:11pm On Nov 14, 2023
illicit:
Placebo
..but, does it work for babies who are not conscious of the function of the mythical treatment?
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Tonymegabush1(m): 5:40pm On Nov 14, 2023
As Africans transfer we transfer our native sense to the younger generation.

Could remember my sister doing this, I will be like help me with baby water the next thing I will see her do is cut a thread from her scarf voom unto baby head shocked na so una dey do for here.

Native sense till tomorrow
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Organiccourses: 5:59pm On Nov 14, 2023
Lasgidi90:

So I can't give my opinion again?

Mabinu, aburo, I apologize on his behalf you will grow older than you expect, just nairaland is full of hateful comments, tribalism etc, he doesn't mean what he said
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Ibromixdem: 6:15pm On Nov 14, 2023
It is a fantastic remedy for hiccups
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by MrSly(m): 6:23pm On Nov 14, 2023
Deprofessional:
My grandmother once forbid myself and my brother from taking our medications at the same time.

Reason: it will work on one person only.
grin grin grin
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by MrSly(m): 6:24pm On Nov 14, 2023
princeemmma:
Have you seen any parent do this when there baby have hiccup, do you think it works?
I did it on my daughter just last week and magically or coincidentally it served it's purpose almost immediately.
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by o123456789(m): 6:26pm On Nov 14, 2023
Placing that little thread on the baby's head don't work, because Hiccups stop on its own after some minutes. If it still continue drink cold water, or stop breathing for at least 15 seconds. If it still continue after some days or months, then go and test for Diabetes... That thread on the baby's head is superstition!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by MrSly(m): 6:27pm On Nov 14, 2023
TotoIsGud4boy:

Children as you know are naturally curious. And placing the white thread on either their forehead or hair triggers some sensation that the child may want to know and find ways to adapt.

So the brain direct its activity or concentration towards finding out the new thing on the head. And that tricks the phrenic and vagus nerves to act towards that.
That combination of concentration and distraction cause by the white thread as noted help reset the brain to stop or reduce the number of hiccups.
So simply put our mother's were right because it works. Judging from your write up.

1 Like

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by ProfGday(m): 6:32pm On Nov 14, 2023
TotoIsGud4boy:

So Oga teacher,so what you're telling us now is that a young baby can see what's on her/his head abi?

Lies from the pit of bulaba.....But Broz I like the way you lied
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Banhammy717: 6:41pm On Nov 14, 2023
God makes it work.
My mother did it on us and I did it for my children also.
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Monday60655(m): 6:51pm On Nov 14, 2023
Nothing like this work at all, just placebo.

1 Like

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by pikechukwu6(m): 7:04pm On Nov 14, 2023
Nothing special about this but people still mumu dey do it... grin grin grin if you want to argue ask the white women if it work for them
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by SharingIsLife(m): 7:07pm On Nov 14, 2023
illicit:
Placebo
If placebo can stop a baby's hiccups, then, maybe it can turn me into a billionaire. Placebo can't work on a baby brosis.
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Franky9584(m): 7:19pm On Nov 14, 2023
Ur faith saves u....that's the believe of over 90% women
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Pearl1910: 7:42pm On Nov 14, 2023
princeemmma:
My wife does it too, so i wonder why is she doing that

it has been what parents do to stop baby from hiccup

U know the reason but u r still wondering...weldone

1 Like

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by dadalicious: 7:51pm On Nov 14, 2023
If it didn't work, it wouldn't have been passed down.
Although because of civilization, our old traditions have lost value.
Before once a married woman commits adultery, there are repercussions. But now civilization don pursue juju go shrine

1 Like

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Amagoodfellow05: 8:12pm On Nov 14, 2023
When my baby was an infant, i used to do that and it works but now that he can drink water, I used to give him water, but my 8yrs daughter will always run to get thread to put on his head anytime he hiccups. Even if a shouting bring water, she will bring thread instead. And it works
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Cmeo(m): 8:15pm On Nov 14, 2023
In the olden days, our ancestors consult oracles for their problem which most probably include things like this. It could be the oracles that told them to do that.
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by Dannydavito: 9:15pm On Nov 14, 2023
That's their beliefs as at then. And it worked. Take for example, when you see a flamengo flying and you begin to wave and be murmuring to take a black fingernails and give a white fingernails. Does it works? The answer is absolutely YES.
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by benjanny(m): 9:49pm On Nov 14, 2023
Mythology
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by DeOTR: 9:57pm On Nov 14, 2023
Mayeldah:
Before cotton threads were made what were they using then?
Small time now, you'll say it's the whites that introduced threads to Africa as if we no dey make fabrics before we had contact with the western world.
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by DeOTR: 10:11pm On Nov 14, 2023
Sabiwellwell:
I disagree with you on this simply because
How would the brain be aware that something is placed on the head. Most times the child will be unaware that something is placed on him, you mught want to say the scalp will feel the thread , but what if the child has much hair on his her ?so how would the brain detect this...??
I hope you know that the cells in our hair are not dead cells right? No matter how long your hair is, you'll definitely feel it if a fly perches on your head.
Whenever you feel a touch, that's your brain telling your something is somewhere on your body.
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by oneman2k7: 10:33pm On Nov 14, 2023
It works.

I remembered when we are young and we see cattle eagrets flying in the sky, we waived our fingers singing one song in yoruba. Alas, white patches will appear on our finger after repeatedly waiving d fingers.

All these things work for he that believe

1 Like

Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by gaskiyamagana: 10:45pm On Nov 14, 2023
Lasgidi90:

So the thing dey work for your side abi?
If it does not work our olden mothers will not be doing it. I believe that other cultures too have something different from this, but with belief of meeting purpose it means for which is not in other culture and we children of nowadays did not believe them.
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by rhemix15: 10:56pm On Nov 14, 2023
The funny thing about it is that it works from what I can remember seeing it done to my younger siblings. Placebo remedy for hiccups. grin
Re: Who Gave Our Mothers This Idea? Photo by oyatz(m): 11:20pm On Nov 14, 2023
African culture is largely conservative and doesn't encourage critical thinking, in ways that could challenge the status quo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"My Husband Wants To Kill Me" - Nigerian Woman Cries Out For Help / How Many Ladies Can Act Like This Lady If They Catch Their Husbands Cheating? / 17-Year-Old Girl Got Pregnant, Chased Out Of Family House, Turns Beggar (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.