Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,671 members, 7,820,356 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death (33237 Views)

Mallam Yathabalwe: Most Wanted Boko Haram Commander Surrenders To Military / The Moment Dino Melaye Fainted, Dragged On The Floor As He Surrenders To Police / Dino Melaye Surrenders To Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by SamuelLoch: 7:02pm On Nov 14, 2023
Some things are so unnecessary!!!
I have both parties to blame... The LASTMA and the driver.

On the path of the LASTMA officials, why are you chasing a vehicle over violation of traffic regulations. I thought they brought in cameras to stop this nonsense GTA on Lagos roads! Just book the guy a ticket, when his papers are due for renewal, he will pay his fines!!!

For the driver, such a pity!!! From a frying pan to fire!
He will forfeit the vehicle and serve jail term. The world must have moved on to AI by his release date

1 Like

Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by CaptainFM1: 7:13pm On Nov 14, 2023
Absuchat:
cry
Painful.
Don't drive against traffic..... don't run if you are at fault and the LASTMAN accosted you.... you may end up in bigger problem

Your points are good. Also equally important point is that Lastma should not chase cars too. Car chase often lead to accidents/incidents.

All they need is the particulars of the car. What are they doing with all the data captured?

1 Like

Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by heysquare(m): 7:16pm On Nov 14, 2023
Sad thing is that the two are siblings and they are preparing for their late mother burial
Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by frog12: 7:25pm On Nov 14, 2023
they speed too much in those lagos roads. even pass those sweepers. may their souls rests in peace

wendixx:

The sweepers were wearing reflective clothing, and it wad broad dwy light. I passed by the incident yesterday morning and saw their bodies sad sad.

It WAS an accident. There was nothing anyone could have done. May their souls rest in peace.
Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by Ceeman2o: 7:38pm On Nov 14, 2023
Angelfrost:
If truly he was trying to evade LASTMA, then he deserves to go to jail...!

I was in a bus that drove dangerously trying to evade the traffic police in that Lagos... Na God save person that day. Death stared me in the face.

On top wetin??! On top how much fine??!... Which fine big pass attempted murder, Manslaughter, or fatal accident??!

Nigerian drivers, make una dey use common sense always. Smh!

Pray to own and drive in Lagos. Either commercial or private. You'll understand while some drivers including me can either kill someone than be caught by this state backed evil demons on uniform. Upon the economic hardship, go to lasma lots or festac lasma lots and see people fathers crying like small children begging to atleast allowed to pay any amount they could gather. How can you forcefully arrest danfo and collect 70k from him. A struggling poor man.Don't you think it's a suicide mission when next he sights you?

After paying through my nose. I've resolved to either kill anybody in my front whether intentional or my mistake. I'll never be caught on this pains again. A week ago I blocked @ ago palace when I pull over in a safe corner to urinate. After all the pain nd heartbreak I had to borrow nd pay 70k. What wickedness pass this?. Motorist in Lagos are in pains from this demons . More manslaughter to be recorded
Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by Ceeman2o: 7:47pm On Nov 14, 2023
nedu666:
Stupid man. You killed 2 people because you are running from lastma. Lastma that las las you will settle with nkwobi and cold beer

Stupid comment. Guess you don live or drive in Lagos. Go and settle them with nkwobi and cold beer nah. Upon the economic pain and agony everybody is facing, nothing will make you pay less than 50k to this demons. The way things are going on, of you're in Lagos always be observant on the road especially when lasma is around or operates on same road. Make you no become manslaughter victim.i myself after what I've been through from this people will kill anything killable to have my way from this demons. So do any motorist that had been there victim
Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by Bluffly: 7:57pm On Nov 14, 2023
KillahPriest:
LASTMA hooligans looked for a way to exonerate themselves by all means.
That aside, the Lagos State government should enforce the use of safety equipment like reflective clothings, cones etc by their street sweepers so drivers can see them on time especially in the dark. I personally, nearly hit one at Lekki while driving home one night but saw her on time luckily. LASTMA hooligans should also be called to order
Sweepers do not work in the dark. They usually place safety cones when working

1 Like

Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by yewit37486: 8:22pm On Nov 14, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
I was SHOCKED people were blaming LASMA. What is wrong with us as a people? You crush people to death because police is chasing you in sane countries...you are considered dangerous....and most likely wont be caught alive. We want random checks knowing the level of drugs and guns being moved in Nigeria. Blame the right people...do not be an IDIOT

I doubt you have any idea how notorious some LASTMA officials are in Lagos, people who would be jumping into cars and struggling with the driver for the steering wheel, this is not the first time they have caused similar incidents, so please they also EQUALLY share the blame with the driver.
Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by yewit37486: 8:23pm On Nov 14, 2023
Christistruth03:

What a Pity

I plead with the Lagos State Govt to grant the Children or 2 Siblings Scholarships if they have no Children up to Tertiary Education in Lagos State owned Institutions and please Compensate their families well

They died in Service

Well said. I believe the government will do something, and I hope all their benefits will be paid to their dependants.
Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by roundman: 8:59pm On Nov 14, 2023
KillahPriest:
LASTMA hooligans looked for a way to exonerate themselves by all means.
That aside, the Lagos State government should enforce the use of safety equipment like reflective clothings, cones etc by their street sweepers so drivers can see them on time especially in the dark. I personally, nearly hit one at Lekki while driving home one night but saw her on time luckily. LASTMA hooligans should also be called to order
I know they were going to deny their involvement, but i know one day will be one day.
Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by MasterTeeUSA: 9:07pm On Nov 14, 2023
No they do not. There is no proof they jumped into this vehicle, and why did the driver run? What is he running from? Is he driving without a license? We just LOVE lawlessness. Police will pull you over in sane country and even bring out a gun...you sit silently and follow instructions. They can also pull you over and delay you for 45mins...you follow instructions. Any mistake, you are dead. Why? They are considered the LAW to protect against lawlessness. Please blame the person that needs to be blamed. In sane country, the driver is as good as dead...cos with 2 life sentences, endangering the public, reckless driving, running away from the scene of an accident, failure to yield to law enforcement....lets just say...he will die in prison.

yewit37486:

I doubt you have any idea how notorious LASTMA is in Lagos, people who would be jumping into cars and struggling with the driver for the steering wheel, this is not the first time they have caused similar incidents, so please they also EQUALLY share the blame with the driver.
Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by yewit37486: 9:18pm On Nov 14, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
No they do not. There is no proof they jumped into this vehicle, and why did the driver run? What is he running from? Is he driving without a license? We just LOVE lawlessness. Police will pull you over in sane country and even bring out a gun...you sit silently and follow instructions. They can also pull you over and delay you for 45mins...you follow instructions. Any mistake, you are dead. Why? They are considered the LAW to protect against lawlessness. Please blame the person that needs to be blamed. In sane country, the driver is as good as dead...cos with 2 life sentences, endangering the public, reckless driving, running away from the scene of an accident, failure to yield to law enforcement....lets just say...he will die in prison.

He was being chased by LASTMA so they must share the blame. Simple.

Would police in those countries chase a driver in a manner that would endanger other road users? No. Because they have other means of getting the driver penalised. The ones here act in a most reckless manner and definitely must share in the blame. Other people here have shared countless experiences with LASTMA so let's not act like they conduct themselves in a way that is safe to other road users.

The eye witness comments are below:

https://www.nairaland.com/7909473/driver-evading-lastma-raid-crushes
iwaeda:

According to eyewitnesses, the victims who were said to be from the same family, were hit by a vehicle whose driver lost control, swerving to escape an early morning raid by LASTMA.

“This has been happening for a very long time, the exploitation and the wickedness by Lagos state government and LASTMA, this wickedness must stop.

“Look at what happened, two family members died because a LASTMA official was chasing a bus. This has been happening for a very long time,” said a resident, identified as Friday.

At the venue, some street cleaners were seen ranting, accusing the state government of endangering their lives.

All civil attempts to take them off the road fell on deaf ears until the intervention of a horde of police officers who dispersed them after sporadic gunfire in the air.

Meanwhile, there was a mild protest against the operation of LASTMA at Ile Zik bus stop close to Ikeja Along.

Drivers who participated in the protest carried placards bearing inscriptions to express their grievances against LASTMA.
Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by KillahPriest: 9:49pm On Nov 14, 2023
Bluffly:

Sweepers do not work in the dark. They usually place safety cones when working
I've come across sweepers working very early in the morning and it's understandable, my encounter at Lekki was around past 10pm and I have no idea why she was working that late but she was busy while I was distracted, thank God nothing happened
Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by Never4getU: 9:51pm On Nov 14, 2023
BadMaster:
Given the reason for crushing two humans to death, he should be charged with second degree murder, not manslaughter.

That's Nigeria police for u. They're already exonerate him even before taken him to court, imagine Hundeyin is already saying it wasn't deliberate so the lives he took was standing there deliberately? Infact enh this country is just hell
Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by Caseless: 1:42am On Nov 15, 2023
Christistruth03:

What a Pity

I plead with the Lagos State Govt to grant the Children or 2 Siblings Scholarships if they have no Children up to Tertiary Education in Lagos State owned Institutions and please Compensate their families well

They died in Service
The sad part is, I heard they're both sisters.

I hope the government of Lagos does something for their family.
Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by Caseless: 1:47am On Nov 15, 2023
Absuchat:
cry
Painful.
Don't drive against traffic..... don't run if you are at fault and the LASTMAN accosted you.... you may end up in bigger problem
How would anyone commit traffic offence in a congested city like Lagos and trying to run? You'll just go and kill people and create more problems.

I remember one man like that who knocked a LASTMA off the bridge rail and when he couldn't get a way, he started crying and begging.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by Emdebby2: 1:50am On Nov 15, 2023
BadMaster:
Given the reason for crushing two humans to death, he should be charged with second degree murder, not manslaughter.
You read my mind.
Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by NaMe4: 3:18am On Nov 15, 2023
ceasare:

The lastma guys too should be charged for culpable homicide along with the driver...why chase him? J's snap his plate nos and wait for him at his next renewal....somebody with sense need head that lastma unit.they are suppose to manage traffic situation and not enforcing traffic regulations.a separate squad that's tech savvy can even stay in there office with drones and catch traffic offenders including stupid danfos blocking road to pick n drop passengers ,track and seize the vehicle discreetly for infringement but guess what it won't happen because Nigerians like chaotic systems that's not auditable so they can fester in there corruption and that's d only reason why we don't protest the ineptitude and shenanigans of our politicians.
Am sure a danfo would hv plied that same one way n d lastma officers look away but once they see my car they jump in front or chase

There may be a flaw in this approach; what if the car is sold (transferred) to someone else before the next renewal or someone other than the owner drove the car the day the offence was committed? What if the last renewal was within the week the offence was committed?
The approach of capturing data of offenders works when there is an effective data system in place. For instance, linking the vehicle info to an existing NIN, BVN, TIN, etc and rendering these other instruments useless once an 'offender' evades law enforcers.
Also, effective surveillance systems must be in place to monitor activities of the law enforcers, as notably in many parts of Southern Nigeria, a lot of charlatans seem to be recruited into these agencies.
Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by ceasare: 8:38am On Nov 15, 2023
NaMe4:

There may be a flaw in this approach; what if the car is sold (transferred) to someone else before the next renewal or someone other than the owner drove the car the day the offence was committed? What if the last renewal was within the week the offence was committed?
The approach of capturing data of offenders works when there is an effective data system in place. For instance, linking the vehicle info to an existing NIN, BVN, TIN, etc and rendering these other instruments useless once an 'offender' evades law enforcers.
Also, effective surveillance systems must be in place to monitor activities of the law enforcers, as notably in many parts of Southern Nigeria, a lot of charlatans seem to be recruited into these agencies.

My dear brother we will get there hopefully pretty soon....
Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by AGIDAPETER(m): 8:50am On Nov 15, 2023
This lasma have caused so many damages than good.
Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by MasterTeeUSA: 3:23pm On Nov 15, 2023
Your answer...YES...Police will chase drivers and endanger other motorists....its all on YouTube...and even if police kills someone in a chase...the driver will be charged for the crime of endangering the people leading to the chase...and involuntary manslaughter. So there you have it...you can study it yourself with USA as a case study.

yewit37486:

He was being chased by LASTMA so they must share the blame. Simple.

Would police in those countries chase a driver in a manner that would endanger other road users? No. Because they have other means of getting the driver penalised. The ones here act in a most reckless manner and definitely must share in the blame. Other people here have shared countless experiences with LASTMA so let's not act like they conduct themselves in a way that is safe to other road users.

The eye witness comments are below:

https://www.nairaland.com/7909473/driver-evading-lastma-raid-crushes

Re: Driver Surrenders To Police After Crushing LAWMA Officials To Death by yewit37486: 3:43pm On Nov 15, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
Your answer...YES...Police will chase drivers and endanger other motorists....its all on YouTube...and even if police kills someone in a chase...the driver will be charged for the crime of endangering the people leading to the chase...and involuntary manslaughter. So there you have it...you can study it yourself with USA as a case study.

Well, this is not USA, and as long as LASTMA contributed to the death of those bystanders, they are equally culpable with the motorist and will be held to account.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bode George: Tinubu Has Begged Me For Forgiveness / Dino Melaye Shuns American Reporter Who Works For Sahara Reporters (Throwback) / Saraki Loses International Appointment As Ambassador-at-Large of IHRC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.