Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,147 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? (4068 Views)

DSS Explains Why Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Allowed To Change His Clothes / Mainland Hospital: We Are Not Allowed To Release Bodies Of #ENDSARS Protesters / Constitutional Review: Zone Us To Southwest, Okun People Write Nass (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by SOSinNigeria: 11:43am On Nov 15, 2023
Something funny is happening in Kogi state. This state has three major ethnic groups i.e. Ebiras, Igalas and Okuns (Yorubas). But sadly, since the creation of the state, only the Igalas and Ebiras have been ruling back to back. No Okun/Yoruba has ever ruled Kogi state since its creation.

In Delta State, there are three major ethnic groups i.e. Urhobos, Anioma/Igbos and Itshekiri. All of them have ruled accordingly. In Rivers State, both the Igboid upland areas and the Ijoid riverine areas have ruled.

So, why is Kogi state different? Even Dino Melaye, an Okun man who contested under PDP was disgraced. A major opposition party like PDP performed so woefully that ordinary SDP candidate almost won against APC.

SDP candidate was Igala.
APC candidate was Ebira.
PDP candidate was Okun/Yoruba.

Yet the contest was between SDP Igala and APC Ebira. Why are the Okuns maltreated in Kogi state?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by BOSSkesh(m): 11:48am On Nov 15, 2023
Because politics is a unity game
And the yorubas don’t have the numbers that’s why they have to merge
But after the government of usman Ododo
Know that it’s the turn of the yorubas

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by SOSinNigeria: 11:52am On Nov 15, 2023
BOSSkesh:
Because politics is a unity game
And the yorubas don’t have the numbers that’s why they have to merge
But after the government of usman Ododo
Know that it’s the turn of the yorubas

I don't see that happening. Igalas almost won with an unknown party like SDP, if not for massive rigging. Then what do you think will happen if the Igala candidate was in a party with structure like PDP?

Igalas will be too angry that Ebiras has ruled for 12/16 years unbroken to let the next opportunity slip.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by Ooni: 12:09pm On Nov 15, 2023
Smh
Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by yarimo(m): 12:15pm On Nov 15, 2023
Nobody is stopping anyone from contesting, election is a matter of majority of votes cast.
SOSinNigeria:
Something funny is happening in Kogi state. This state has three major ethnic groups i.e. Ebiras, Igalas and Okuns (Yorubas). But sadly, since the creation of the state, only the Igalas and Ebiras have been ruling back to back. No Okun/Yoruba has ever ruled Kogi state since its creation.

In Delta State, there are three major ethnic groups i.e. Urhobos, Anioma/Igbos and Itshekiri. All of them have ruled accordingly. In Rivers State, both the Igboid upland areas and the Ijoid riverine areas have ruled.

So, why is Kogi state different? Even Dino Melaye, an Okun man who contested under PDP was disgraced. A major opposition party like PDP performed so woefully that ordinary SDP candidate almost won against APC.

SDP candidate was Igala.
APC candidate was Ebira.

Yet the contest was between SDP Igala and APC Ebira. Why are the Okuns maltreated in Kogi state?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by Zooposki(f): 12:15pm On Nov 15, 2023
SOSinNigeria:

I don't see that happening. Igalas almost won with an unknown party like SDP, if not for massive rigging. Then what do you think will happen if the Igala candidate was in a party with structure like PDP?

Igalas will be too angry that Ebiras has ruled for 12/16 years unbroken to let the next opportunity slip.

You guys like poke-nosing too much. Haba. Trying to sow discord everywhere. Only the devil does that, roaming to and fro the earth looking for whom to devour.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by burp18: 12:19pm On Nov 15, 2023
SOSinNigeria:

Politics is a game of numbers and have the most population in kogi state. The ebiras are second and the Okuns are third. Igalas have always produced the governors in Kogi and Bello, an ebira man would never have become governor if it wasnt for the death of Audu.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by NaijirianKing: 12:22pm On Nov 15, 2023
Kogi is not SW. SW is Mainly Yoruba with Ijaw, Ijebu, and other smaller minority groups. Simple logic tells you that Kogi is not Yoruba.

SOSinNigeria:

SDP candidate was Igala.
APC candidate was Ebira.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by ejimatic: 12:58pm On Nov 15, 2023
SOSinNigeria:

SDP candidate was Igala.
APC candidate was Ebira.

Yorubas are minority in Kogi state.However the candidate PDP presented is a Yoruba man. His people did not vote him because he offended Yoruba kingdom by making jest of Tinubu the Yoruba kingdom candidate in the last election.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by helinues: 1:15pm On Nov 15, 2023
Go to court for clarification and stop asking us dumbo question

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by BadMaster: 1:24pm On Nov 15, 2023
I know where you are from and I know you intentions. However, I will indulge you a bit.

I am an Ebiraman, and the only reason we're governing today is because of divine intervention. If Audu had not died, I very much doubt Ebira would have had the opportunity to govern. Hopefully, after Ododo, there would be a credible candidate from kogi west vying for the office.

Dino was an unpopular candidate, hence the reason he didn't do well.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by yommen: 1:29pm On Nov 15, 2023
NaijirianKing:
Kogi is not SW. SW is Mainly Yoruba with Ijaw, Ijebu, and other smaller minority groups. Simple logic tells you that Kogi is not Yoruba.

Baba, Ijebu is still Yoruba o. Gbenga Daniel is Ijebu man o.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by aswani(m): 1:30pm On Nov 15, 2023
SOSinNigeria:

SDP candidate was Igala.
APC candidate was Ebira.

Dino Melaye is damaged goods that was imposed on Kogi state PDP by National to reward him for supporting Atiku during the presidential primaries. Even those PDP people at state level worked against him because they hated the unprincipled rascal.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 1:57pm On Nov 15, 2023
How can the Yoruba people of Kogi State present someone like Nollywood Politician Dino and expect to win a Gubernatorial election.

The Yoruba/Okun people of Kogi state need to really strategize now and now to have good hope of winning majority votes in 20 years time.

God bless Kogi state

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by ednut1(m): 2:06pm On Nov 15, 2023
Have idomas ruled in Benue Dino Melaye that was mocking Tinubu, the same Dino that flaunts luxury cars on social media, the same Dino that behaves like a fool on SM Its not about tribe. The 5 local governments where yorubas dominate he lost. So his people rejected him too.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by Christistruth03: 2:14pm On Nov 15, 2023
SOSinNigeria:

SDP candidate was Igala.
APC candidate was Ebira.

Has Christian Ruled Kogi Before even an Igala one?
Kogi has a huge Christian Population close to half of the State
Did you see what happened to James Faleke when he should have taken over?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by orisa37: 2:19pm On Nov 15, 2023
THE EGBIRAS ARE MORE WICKED YORUBA RACE AND MORE OPPORTUNISTIC.
Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by YoungBlackRico(m): 2:21pm On Nov 15, 2023
Lol, how do you expect anyone to vote Dino Melaye? When Okun has a better candidate they may get it, even the ebiras just got lucky with Yahaya Bello and he used his might to get another ebira man into it.u

Okuns have never been lucky with leaders, another Dino is Smart Adeyemi, another wrong man. Okun best bet would have been James Faleke, but we all know how it played out at the end.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by Christistruth03: 2:25pm On Nov 15, 2023
NaijirianKing:

Kogi West is Yoruba

But apart from that Yorubas Traditionally see Egbira and Igala as very Close relatives and
Historically they work together when the need arises for example Together they Chased and kicked the Fulani Jihad out of the Kogi Area and there is not a Single Emirate there

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by Blue3k(m): 2:35pm On Nov 15, 2023
SOSinNigeria:

SDP candidate was Igala.
APC candidate was Ebira.

You're allowed to compete you're not guaranteed to win. The people will vote who ever they please. If you think it's because they hate them what do you want to do about it?

Look at your favorite sports league and as your self has every team won and if they all won an equal number of times. I don't see why you guys expect it equality in competitive ventures when you don't see it play out anywhere else in life.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by SOSinNigeria: 3:06pm On Nov 15, 2023
Christistruth03:

Kogi West is Yoruba

But apart from that Yorubas Traditionally see Egbira and Igala as very Close relatives and
Historically they work together when the need arises for example Together they Chased and kicked the Fulani Jihad out of the Kogi Area and there is not a Single Emirate there

You mean, Yorubas helped to kick Fulani jihadists out of Kogi area? Yorubas helped Igala and Egbira to chase Fulanis away yet same Yorubas couldn't help their own people in Kwara? Today, Kwara is under emirate authority.

What an irony😂😂

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by SOSinNigeria: 3:07pm On Nov 15, 2023
Zooposki:

You guys like poke-nosing too much. Haba. Trying to sow discord everywhere. Only the devil does that, roaming to and fro the earth looking for whom to devour.

What you described there applies to Yorubas than any other ethnicity in Nigeria. Is that you, mr. Hypocrite?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by udede(m): 3:15pm On Nov 15, 2023
SOSinNigeria:

SDP candidate was Igala.
APC candidate was Ebira.

In the last election, The Okun ie the Yoruba man in the gubernatorial contest by name Dino malaria did not win because he could not give to himself the advice he gave to Peter Obi. I do not think it was because of tribe.
Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by Christistruth03: 3:16pm On Nov 15, 2023
SOSinNigeria:

You mean, Yorubas helped to kick Fulani jihadists out of Kogi area? Yorubas helped Igala and Egbira to chase Fulanis away yet same Yorubas couldn't help their own people in Kwara? Today, Kwara is under emirate authority.

What an irony😂😂

Attah Igala was the leader of the Coalition

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by LOVEALAIGBO: 3:18pm On Nov 15, 2023
burp18:
Politics is a game of numbers and have the most population in kogi state. The ebiras are second and the Okuns are third. Igalas have always produced the governors in Kogi and Bello, an ebira man would never have become governor if it wasnt for the death of Audu.

Politics is much more than a game of numbers! That’s just the excuse some greedy, power-hungry cretins use to seize power or hold on to it! If there’s no fairness in politics then it will lead to all manner of complications!

If politics was just a game of numbers, then apparently Delta, Rivers and the south-east didn’t get the memo! The aforementioned are places where even those with the least amount of ‘numbers’ are supported to have a go -either at state or national level- when it’s clear to all that the numerically strong ones have had their turn or had more than their fair share when others are yet to have theirs!
Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by Christistruth03: 3:22pm On Nov 15, 2023
SOSinNigeria:

What an irony😂😂

If you don't know History ask those who do

The British fought the Yoruba Ruler of ilorin called Balogun Inakoju alanamu in 1900 to take Over Ilorin

The Emir had already been defeated and deposed by him and his followers

Balogun alanamu was the Yoruba Ruler of ilorin

The rest is Tribal Politics

There are some Historians who even claim the real reason the British reinstated the Emir in Ilorin was because he was the one that gave Lord Lugard the information that was used to Track down and kill the fleeing Sultan of Sokoto Caliphate Attahiru and his Jihadist Army at Gombe
So the British reinstated hin as Emir of Ilorin as a reward

Many Fulani even see the Emir of Ilorin as a Traitor who sold out the Sultan of Sokoto Attahiru and his Sokoto Caliphate to the British

The Yorubas also deposed the Emir of Ilorin in 1934 he fled to Kaduna and was again reinstated by the British after 2 years

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by olril17(m): 3:40pm On Nov 15, 2023
BadMaster:
I know where you are from and I know you intentions. However, I will indulge you a bit.

I am an Ebiraman, and the only reason we're governing today is because of divine intervention. If Audu had not died, I very much doubt Ebira would have had the opportunity to govern. Hopefully, after Ododo, there would be a credible candidate from kogi west vying for the office.

Dino was an unpopular candidate, hence the reason he didn't do well.
‘The only reason We are governing’🤣
Funny statement,apart from sharing ethnicity does Usman ododo send you?
We Nigerians like to deceive ourselves sha🤣🤣

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by Kenneth4u205(m): 3:47pm On Nov 15, 2023
Yorubas will never rule out darling kogi it . It will be easier for our chickens and house cockroach 🪳 to rule than for a Yoruba to win election in kogi state election
Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by Meagainstthem: 3:53pm On Nov 15, 2023
They're wetin for when yigbo who constitutes 95% of Lagos State are allow to be speaker of house assembly In lasgidi. Were lo po ju ninu yin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by alizma: 4:12pm On Nov 15, 2023
Ok
Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by stuffs2002: 4:20pm On Nov 15, 2023
Christistruth03:

Kogi West is Yoruba

Kogi West is not Yoruba

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yorubas (okun) Not Allowed To Rule In Kogi State? by stuffs2002: 4:22pm On Nov 15, 2023
Christistruth03:

Has Christian Ruled Kogi Before even an Igala one?
Kogi has a huge Christian Population close to half of the State
Did you see what happened to James Faleke when he should have taken over?

The population of Christian in Kogi is not large. Maybe 20%

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NANS Commends Tinubu For Approving Reduction In Transport Fare / Nigerian Policemen Caught Yesterday Sleeping On Duty At Asokoro Pics / The Gov Said They Were Sooo Shocked By President Buhari In Their Recent Trip To

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.