Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,266 members, 7,811,758 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:56 PM

Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye (4883 Views)

My Boss Only Pays Half Salary, What Can I Do ? / Disquiet In NAMA Over Secret Recruitments As Half Of Candidate Are From Katsina / 10 Lessons I Learnt From Making A Million A Week In This Covid Times. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by faaz24: 8:47am On Nov 16, 2023
MultiChoice lost nearly half a million DStv subscribers in South Africa in the past year, according to the company’s latest interim results (1H FY2023).

As of the end of September 2023, the pay-TV broadcaster’s 90-day active subscribers in its country of origin stood at 8.629 million.

This was 486,000 less than the 9.115 million it had at the same point in 2022.

MultiChoice attributed most of its subscriber losses to a decision that ended pricing promotions it launched in 2022 to provide financial relief to customers amid load-shedding hardships.

“While the group has supported its subscribers with similar campaigns during challenging periods like the Covid-19 lockdowns, we can only do so for limited periods of time,” MultiChoice said.

This resulted in 311,000 non-revenue generating customers on its temporary “Surprise and Delight” offers being removed from DStv’s 90-day active subscriber base. These subscribers accounted for 3% of the total 5% decline.

DStv’s 90-day active subscriber base includes all customers with an active package for up to 90 days before 30 September 2023.

The active customer base — including subscribers who had valid packages on 30 September 2023 — also declined by 382,000 customers. This number dropped from 8.204 million to 7.822 million.

The other major factor MultiChoice blamed for its subscriber decline was increased load-shedding.

Premium is no longer the biggest headache
MultiChoice said “more stable” trends in its mid and upper customer segments, and inflation-linked average price increases of around 4%, helped limit the decline in monthly average revenue per user (ARPU) to 2%.

DStv divides its subscriber base into three main categories:

Premium segment — Premium and Compact Plus packages
Mid-market segment — Compact and Commercial packages
Mass market segment — Family, Access, and EasyView packages
The Premium package has been in decline for several years.

Customers with this package are most likely to be able to afford and have access to uncapped broadband packages and video streaming services, which have become a major rival for traditional TV services.

Surprisingly, MultiChoice said it recorded a 5% increase in subscribers on this package. It is possible that this was a temporary boost driven by sign-ups for the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

However, the Premium segment, which also includes Compact Plus, saw an overall decline of 5%.

Due to MultiChoice rounding its subscriber numbers — it is unclear exactly how many subscribers were lost in this segment, as the number remained 1.3 million.

The mid-market segment experienced a significant drop, with subscribers in this category declining 14% from 2.7 million to 2.3 million.

The damage was less severe in the mass market, where DStv lost 1% of its subscribers.

The graphics below from MultiChoice’s results presentation compare DStv’s subscriber base trends in South Africa from its interim results for the 2022 financial year (H1 FY2022) to H1 FY2023.

In the Rest of Africa (RoA), MultiChoice increased its 90-day active subscriber base by 70,000. Overall, its RoA subscriber numbers remained at just over 13 million.

However, the subscriber base measured on 30 September 2023 across the Rest of Africa declined by 25,000 customers — dropping from 8.906 million to 8.881 million.

Overall, DStv subscribers across all markets dropped from 17.110 million to 16.703 million

4 Likes

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by BOSSkesh(m): 9:12am On Nov 16, 2023
Outdated
Very expensive

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by PARADIZEPRIEST: 9:20am On Nov 16, 2023
dstvdstv dieing of greed angryhope naija people learn

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by Inspirer1: 9:30am On Nov 16, 2023
Is that why they are milking us dry here in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by psucc(m): 9:38am On Nov 16, 2023
Inspirer1:
It's not compulsory that you must subscribe to their offers. You only decide to patronize them and so never ever complain again.

There's FTA.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by Quranisforfools: 10:06am On Nov 16, 2023
This isn't just happening with DSTV, it's happening all over the world.

Traditional cable and satellite TV is being challenged by streaming services as Internet data prices get cheaper

17 Likes

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by francisbarrack(m): 10:10am On Nov 16, 2023
Inspirer1:

Try strong or digister... free to air. Dstv don belle full

2 Likes

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by descarado: 10:10am On Nov 16, 2023
Can't remember when I watched cable TV last when streaming service is there. So also music.
Even cheaper. You go straight to what you want with ease.

3 Likes

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by daveP(m): 10:27am On Nov 16, 2023
Greed will kee DSTV

I expect more loss before January 1st.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by lyriclekidd(m): 11:08am On Nov 16, 2023
Quranisforfools:
This isn't just happening with DSTV, it's happening all over the world.

Traditional cable and satellite TV is being challenged by streaming services as Internet data prices get cheaper

Internet data prices dy cost more for Nigeria I tire 😂😂

5 Likes

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by dominique(f): 11:26am On Nov 16, 2023
So that's why they decided to increase our subscription by over N700. Very soon they'll be the one watching their overpriced content filled with repetitions. With all sorts of streaming platforms available, it's only a matter of time before cable TV goes into extinction.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by Nobody: 12:03pm On Nov 16, 2023
dominique:
So that's why they decided to increase our subscription by over N700. Very soon they'll be the one watching their overpriced content filled with repetitions. With all sorts of streaming platforms available, it's only a matter of time before cable TV goes into extinction.
just subscribe showmax or Netflix and buy airtel 20gb for 3k you can watch whatever you want instead of watching what dstv decides to show you

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by Kharol1234: 12:04pm On Nov 16, 2023
After you subscribe na old something person don watch them go they repeat again.

Rubbish people

9 Likes

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by Inspirer1: 1:01pm On Nov 16, 2023
francisbarrack:

Try strong or digister... free to air. Dstv don belle full
Which one is digester pls?

3 Likes

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by jared007: 1:42pm On Nov 16, 2023
descarado:
Can't remember when I watched cable TV last when streaming service is there. So also music.
Even cheaper. You go straight to what you want with ease.
Nice one. You go straight to what u want with ease:

1)DSTV could be showing me wildlife about marine instead of Savannah.
2) I want to watch wildlife in African Savannah and all I need to do is type and stream on YouTube.

3 Likes

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by LLSAINT(m): 1:47pm On Nov 16, 2023
Such is the life of every business
They just need to re brand to align with the trend

1 Like

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by CedarHoldings: 1:57pm On Nov 16, 2023
Na star time wan buy now at least is cheaper combine with netflix

1 Like

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by shox(m): 2:03pm On Nov 16, 2023
Spirit04:
just subscribe showmax or Netflix and buy airtel 20gb for 3k you can watch whatever you want instead of watching what dstv decides to show you
how you take dey activate am

2 Likes

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by jamesversion: 4:09pm On Nov 16, 2023
DSTV wahala reach SA also.
Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 16, 2023
shox:
how you take dey activate am
*312# then select 2

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by pafun(m): 7:26pm On Nov 16, 2023
I wonder why this obsession of Nigerians with DSTV. Una no get work?

To you all I dedicate Take Your Time by Iska Tribe. Check out the new single on Spotify. https://open.spotify.com/track/25TlMIRKoxOKpegEiDft2Z?si=97cb606a3eae4377
Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by TalkTalkTwins(m): 8:14pm On Nov 16, 2023
When I subscribed my GoTV and didn't watch it for one day until it expired, I knew it was time to move on kiss

3 Likes

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by MyExpression(m): 9:18pm On Nov 16, 2023
Tt
Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by LegallyBlunt: 9:47pm On Nov 16, 2023
wink
Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by Adewale1603(m): 9:52pm On Nov 16, 2023
DStv is so overrated. I prefer startimes

1 Like

Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by LOVEGINO(m): 6:19am On Nov 17, 2023
Spirit04:
tell dem bro. I ve dumped my dstv but home and office.
Re: Death By Half A Million Cuts — South Africans Kiss Dstv Goodbye by Meerahbel: 10:53am On Dec 01, 2023
Google CyberStick & thank me later.

(1) (Reply)

Jobforall.ng(federal Government Unemployment Scheme): new way to access the site / More Fresh Graduates Wanted For Immediate Employment Across Lagos As Marketing Executives / Updates On Nigeria Jubilee Fellowship Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.