Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,920 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

How To Control Fleshly Desires - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How To Control Fleshly Desires (1243 Views)

Kenya Enacts New Tough Rules To Control Churches / Saudi Ponders Banning Nigerians From Hajj Pilgrimage In Bid To Control Ebola / Archeaological Cover-ups ~ A Plot To Control History. Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Control Fleshly Desires by yommyuk: 10:38pm On Oct 27, 2011
Being in the flesh can be defined as allowing sinful desires or urges to dominate the way you live. Cravings for wealth or a sexual desire are typical examples. These yearnings in their basic form may seem natural and harmless, but the problem arises when we allow them to take over the rightful place on the throne of our hearts. In some cases, these sinful appetites can land us in trouble.

According to human wisdom, the way to overcome desires is by adhering to a series of rules and guidelines. But remembering the Israelites and the Law of Moses should tells us that laws and rules are made to be broken. It becomes obedience by force. People will start showing outward purity while the inside stinks. Godliness becomes alien to them because their conduct does not come from the heart. Therefore how do we go about it? Here are a series of helpful steps in addressing fleshly desires that gets out of control

CONFESSION
Take a moment to confess your sin and receive God’s forgiveness. Admit before God that pampering an unruly desire is disobedience.
Remember the joy that comes to those whose sins are forgiven – Psalm 32:1

SURRENDER
You must admit that you can’t conquer a harmful appetite on your own. Ask the Holy Spirit to provide the strength you need to resist it.

Phil 4:13
“For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength”

Galatians 2:20
My old self has being crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me”

Surrender the thorn over to Christ whose power works best when we are weak. – 2 Corin 12:8

ADDRESS THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM
Prayerfully analyze why you indulge certain desires. For the most part, sinful behavior has its root in legitimate needs, such as loneliness, sadness, exhaustion, insecurity, discomfort, etc.

Psalms 51:3
“For I acknowledge my transgression………, ”

King David recognized the consequences of his sin. Likewise reflect on the desires. How do you think God will feel about it? Be true to yourself and take a stand.

FIND A REPLACEMENT
In general, the more a person focuses on not giving in to a temptation, the more he or she will want to indulge that particular sinful craving. The solution is to ask the Lord for healthier ways to respond to life’s challenges.

Colossians 3:10
“Put on your new nature and be renewed as you learn to know your creator and become like him”

All those habits and hobbies that trigger the fleshly desires in you must be discarded immediately. Throw them into the river of forgetfulness. Learn new hobbies and go to new places. Mix with the right people and start doing things that will feed your spirit with good spiritual fruits. Read the bible more frequently, engage in spiritual discussions.

WORSHIP
Humans are designed to worship. Either we will live for the Creator, or we will passionately sacrifice for possessions, people, power, accomplishment, appearance, comfort, or something else. As believers, we are not immune to this tendency.

Psalm 29:2
“Worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness”

John 4:24
“For God is Spirit, so those who worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth”

We all know how Satan took Jesus Christ to the peak of a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world. Likewise Satan will try to induce you to indulge in your fleshly desires. Christ said
“Get out of here, Satan,” Command your fleshy desires to get out of you in Jesus name. For the Scriptures say,
“You must worship the Lord your God and serve only him.”

CONCLUSION
In your time of prayer, confess any areas where your appetites are out of balance. Ask God to open your eyes to the emptiness and dissatisfaction sin brings. Pray for His help in breaking the unhealthy patterns you have developed. When you surrender fully to the Lord, He will satisfy your needs as He sees fit.

God bless wink
Re: How To Control Fleshly Desires by Natasha2(f): 1:26am On Oct 28, 2011
God bless you too cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Witchcraft In The Church / Tithe Calculation Please! / Where Lies The Truth Of Our Religion? What The Meaning Of This...verse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.