Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,622 members, 7,816,563 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Where Lies The Truth Of Our Religion? What The Meaning Of This...verse - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where Lies The Truth Of Our Religion? What The Meaning Of This...verse (1240 Views)

4 Lies The Church Taught Me About Sex / Ten Lies The Church Tells Women / Islamic And Christian Religion What Is The Difference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Lies The Truth Of Our Religion? What The Meaning Of This...verse by channel190(m): 6:16am On Jan 24, 2013
We have heard these two contrasting principles many a time.
I therefore bring them on this forum so we tackle it.
The base of this is to see if it is the same God that prompted the inception of these obvious contradicting principles.
Re: Where Lies The Truth Of Our Religion? What The Meaning Of This...verse by channel190(m): 6:28am On Jan 24, 2013
my post will not be offensive to islam not christianity either!

I'm just curios in knowing the stands of our religions.
Islam up holds same measured retaliation.
Christianity says, if slapped on a cheek turn the other cheek.

Which is from God.

Please check out the following verse from Qur'an and Bible.
Which is more logical?

◄ Luke 6:29 ►
New International Version (©1984)
"If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic."

New Living Translation (©2007)
"If someone slaps you on one cheek, offer the other cheek also. If someone demands your coat, offer your shirt also".

English Standard Version (©2001)
"To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either."

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"Whoever hits you on the cheek, offer him the other also; and whoever takes away your coat, do not withhold your shirt from him either".

Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
"If anyone hits you on the cheek, offer the other also. And if anyone takes away your coat, don't hold back your shirt either".

International Standard Version (©2012)
"If someone strikes you on the cheek, offer him the other one as well, and if someone takes your coat, don't keep back your shirt, either."

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
"And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that takethaway thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also".

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
“And to him who strikes you on your cheek, offer the other, and from whoever takes away your cloak, withhold not your coat also.”

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
"If someone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other cheek as well. If someone takes your coat, don't stop him from taking your shirt".

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
"And unto him that smites you on the one cheek offer also the other; and he that takes away your cloak forbid not to take your coat also".

American King James Version
"And to him that smites you on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that takes away your cloak forbid not to take your coat also".

American Standard Version
"To him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and from him that taketh away thy cloak withhold not thy coat also".

Douay-Rheims Bible
"And to him that striketh thee on the one cheek, offer also the other. And him that taketh away from thee thy cloak, forbid not to take thy coat also".

Darby Bible Translation
"To him that smites thee on the cheek, offer also the other; and from him that would take away thy garment, forbid not thy body-coat also".

English Revised Version
"To him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and from him that taketh away thy cloke withhold not thy coat also".

Webster's Bible Translation
"And to him that smiteth thee on the one cheek, offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke, forbid not to take thy coat also".

Weymouth New Testament
"To him who gives you a blow on one side of the face offer the other side also; and to him who is robbing you of your outer garment refuse not the under one also".

World English Bible
"To him who strikes you on the cheek, offer alsothe other; and from him who takes away your cloak, don't withhold your coat also".

Young's Literal Translation
"And to him smiting thee upon the cheek, give also the other, and from him taking away from thee the mantle, also the coat thou mayest notkeep back."
Re: Where Lies The Truth Of Our Religion? What The Meaning Of This...verse by channel190(m): 6:29am On Jan 24, 2013
From Surah Baqarah, Ayah 178:

"{O ye who believe! Retaliation is prescribed for you in the matter of the murdered; the freeman for the freeman, and the slave for the slave, and the female for the female. And for him who is forgiven some what by his injured brother, prosecution according to usage and payment unto him in kindness. This is an alleviation and a mercy from your Lord. He who transgresses after this will have a painful doom.}"

It appears God is calling for a salve for a slave, a woman for a woman, etc.

Is this translation appropriate?

If my sister kills your brother, then do you kill me even if I had nothing to do with it?

Can Arabic speakers explain.
Re: Where Lies The Truth Of Our Religion? What The Meaning Of This...verse by BetaThings: 9:30am On Jan 24, 2013
channel 190: my post will not be offensive to islam not christianity either!

I'm just curios in knowing the stands of our religions.
Islam up holds same measured retaliation.
Christianity says, if slapped on a cheek turn the other cheek.

Which is from God.

The one that human beings, being human, are able to practise
Not the one that is quoted and spoken about repeatedly but has proved impracticable
Re: Where Lies The Truth Of Our Religion? What The Meaning Of This...verse by channel190(m): 11:06am On Jan 24, 2013
BetaThings:
Not the one that is quoted and spoken about repeatedly but has proved impracticable
christians really have to come and defend the quoted text from the bible.
Re: Where Lies The Truth Of Our Religion? What The Meaning Of This...verse by channel190(m): 11:12am On Jan 24, 2013
if we go by the literal meaning of scriptures we maybe misled by its grammatical presentation.

We need good clergy men to put us through, because if I keep giving my cheek out for a slap my face no go remain before people will intervene o.

And if I retaliate, how do I pay back in the same measure, how do we measure the extent of injury, anger, provocation, and of course the heat of a SLAP.
The retaliation can never be equal?

I need answers o
Re: Where Lies The Truth Of Our Religion? What The Meaning Of This...verse by Rafidi: 2:00am On Jan 25, 2013
you turn the other cheek when you are too weak to ensure justice is administered.Jesus (as) was in no position back then from the political and worldly perspective to administer justice or defend his right.so his choice is to turn the other cheek.if he does not turn the other cheek in a state where he does not have the means or power to administer justice,then that would be suicide.even Islam tells us before defending ourselves we must be prepared and "prepare for them what you can of power".

when you defend your right and a criminal is handed what he deserves,that is called justice.the two concepts of justice and turning the other cheek,do not contradict.they are in perfect harmony when each is used at the right time.
Re: Where Lies The Truth Of Our Religion? What The Meaning Of This...verse by tbaba1234: 9:12am On Jan 25, 2013
channel 190: From Surah Baqarah, Ayah 178:

"{O ye who believe! Retaliation is prescribed for you in the matter of the murdered; the freeman for the freeman, and the slave for the slave, and the female for the female. And for him who is forgiven some what by his injured brother, prosecution according to usage and payment unto him in kindness. This is an alleviation and a mercy from your Lord. He who transgresses after this will have a painful doom.}"

It appears God is calling for a salve for a slave, a woman for a woman, etc.

Is this translation appropriate?

If my sister kills your brother, then do you kill me even if I had nothing to do with it?

Can Arabic speakers explain.

It means the free slave for the same free slave...

We understand this because of the use of 'Al' for each word in the arabic language.

It means the slave murderer will pay with his own life, the freeman will pay with his own life, the female will pay for her own life.

It is like saying the free person with the same free person. The use of Al makes it the same.

It is simple really.
Re: Where Lies The Truth Of Our Religion? What The Meaning Of This...verse by channel190(m): 6:22am On Jan 28, 2013
BetaThings:
I don't think any is impracticable.

The fact that muslims retaliate and get prepared for do me I do is a jungle justice.

Justice comes from God and not from human, in our parlance today justice is found in the court of law.

I think the christians are leaving all for God to judge.
I think jesus used that illustration to show that, if your can't turn the other cheek for a second slap, turn to God for solace, and not to fight back.

Two wrongs can never make a right
Re: Where Lies The Truth Of Our Religion? What The Meaning Of This...verse by channel190(m): 6:30am On Jan 28, 2013
Rafidi :
you turn the other cheek when you are too weak to ensure justice is administered.
Jesus (as) was in no position back then from the political and worldly perspective to administer justice or defend his right.
so his choice is to turn the other cheek.if he does not turn the other cheek in a state where he does not have the means or power to administer justice,then that would be suicide. even Islam tells us before defending ourselves we must be prepared and "prepare for them what you can of power".

when you defend your right and a criminal is handed what he deserves,that is called justice.the two concepts of justice and turning the other cheek,do not contradict.they are in perfect harmony when each is used at the right time.
from all of the above.
I think there lies the ignorant we are swimming in.

Taking laws into our hands.

Jesus does not need the political impetus to attain justice, he had the power to destroy all those fighting against him, but he saw more than you and I can see, he was not short sighted, he knew the interpretation you and I would construe if he had told us other wise.
But he told us to turn the other cheek, simple!!!

If its painful and of course you can't turn the other cheek, you seek for justice in the right channel, either from God or from a Judge of a competent court of law.

The form boko haram are seeking for justice, is that what your text prescribe?
Re: Where Lies The Truth Of Our Religion? What The Meaning Of This...verse by channel190(m): 6:32am On Jan 28, 2013
tbaba1234:

It means the free slave for the same free slave...

We understand this because of the use of 'Al' for each word in the arabic language.

It means the slave murderer will pay with his own life, the freeman will pay with his own life, the female will pay for her own life.

It is like saying the free person with the same free person. The use of Al makes it the same.

It is simple really.

logically does what you are defending make any sense to you?

Just because yoi were born into such Doctrines you accept every natty gritty of it?
Re: Where Lies The Truth Of Our Religion? What The Meaning Of This...verse by tbaba1234: 10:41am On Jan 28, 2013
channel 190: logically does what you are defending make any sense to you?

Just because yoi were born into such Doctrines you accept every natty gritty of it?

What do you mean> It makes complete sense... A freeman who commits murder would face justice, so will a slave or a female.

I accept Islam not because i was born into it. I am convinced that the Quran is beyond the productive capacity of a man, i am convinced that the values in Islam are the best for humanity.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Incredible Belief In The Myth Of Eternal Hell Suffering / Finally: Prophet TB Joshua Fails In His Prediction / Pope Francis' Trilla In Manilla: Record 6million People Attend Mass (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.