Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,093 members, 7,825,453 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada (31954 Views)

UK Varsities To Layoff Workers, As Enrolment By Nigerians, Others Dwindle / UK Varsities To Layoff Workers, As Enrolment By Nigerians, Others Dwindle / Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada by Gerrard59(m): 1:51am On Nov 17, 2023
tshtsh:

Works at St Andrew as a network engineer not an academic position but a support position. I can work in Goldmansachs as a security guard or support engineer and that does not mean I am rated as high as an associate in derivatives. Where you work is not as important as your role in the organisation. Not everything can be explained here but bias in the work place is real. There is a reason McKinsey targets ivy-league business school grads as consultants and there is also a reason Nigerian doctors struggle to get a license to practice Medicine in Canada. Workplace bias is real but I am of the opinion that it’s better to attend a top school home or abroad.

Isnt that because Canada prefers medical experience from other developed or selected countries rather than just the certificate?
Re: Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada by Gerrard59(m): 1:58am On Nov 17, 2023
tshtsh:

Don’t compare U.K. universities with universities in Nigeria. When you leave Nigeria to U.K. or elsewhere your competition is in U.K. not Nigeria. Most Nigerians attend mushroom schools in uk. In Scotland there are many universities but the ancient 4 are the most recognised by employers ( St Andrews uni , uni of Aberdeen , uni of Edinburgh , uni of Glasgow ). You’ll find most Nigerians in Glasgow Caledonian uni , uni of west of Scotland , Robert Gordon and the likes which employers don’t really value as much as the ancient universities. If you come to canada you’ll find thus cana da has very competitive universities but most Nigerians are attending colleges ( Humber college , Seneca …). A Nigerian with a bachelors or masters degree goes to Canada to study at a college just to get student visa. Where I work there is no college graduate in the engineering team. Most are from uni of Waterloo, uni of Toronto , queens uni and a few from McMaster uni.

It is something I have written extensively on, but people don't seem to understand the future effects of such decisions. They might not get the best jobs, earn higher salaries and have flourishing careers. Obviously, those with superior experience from MNCs while in Nigeria can easily plug into Corporate Canada, but for students, it is important they attend good schools.

However, ours is not that bad compared to Indians. Indians also attend those "colleges" at higher rates than our people.

When you leave Nigeria your income , skills and education should be applied to your new location and not comparing with your previous location. Many leave Nigeria from upper model class ans settle at the bottom in Canada but still beat there chest saying they are better off than person A or B in Nigeria

Just like they convert dollar/pounds expenses to naira, but never their earnings. And it is quite terrible moving from upper middle-class backgrounds to low middle class statuses when they are not refugees. The Chinese are better off. Let's see what second generation Nigerian-Canadians become.
Re: Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada by alfarouq(m): 2:55am On Nov 17, 2023
Padipadi:
They v just started. Infact may UK economy crash. Those mofos are lenient to Asians than Africans especially India. The usefulness of Nigeria to UK pas India own. It's India this, India that. They ditched Kemi Badenoch to accept Rishi Sunak abi na Rich Snacks.
Charles no like Nigerians. Wished Lizzy didn't die. That dependant visa wey dem cancel for still dey.
Those same Asians are biting them protesting for the oloriburuku Hamas people.
UK and US ori yin buru o!
Una no see Nigerians that really will not betray you mofos!
Do normal to Nigerians n let ya country v peace.
In UK, it's Indians, Lebanese and Arabs that do fraud pass.

Well, the british is more about what it can gain or benefit. Why dont you make your self more valauable than the other party. I am sure if the british feels you will give them more value, they wont hesitate to give you same or better treatments than the Asians.

1 Like

Re: Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada by tshtsh: 3:22am On Nov 17, 2023
Gerrard59:

Isnt that because Canada prefers medical experience from other developed or selected countries rather than just the certificate?
A number of factors but I’ll sum it up as being unable to integrate into their profession. It takes some effort to make the transition but when people just move here and there without any proper plan they’ll be so unstable and hence find it hard to be stable.

1 Like

Re: Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada by bigcasava1(m): 6:11am On Nov 17, 2023
They survive from our money yet they don't treat us good all these countries will soon regret it soon including Ghana
Re: Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada by Padipadi(m): 7:43am On Nov 17, 2023
alfarouq:

Well, the british is more about what it can gain or benefit. Why dont you make your self more valauable than the other party. I am sure if the british feels you will give them more value, they wont hesitate to give you same or better treatments than the Asians.
I get big value. You are right..
Re: Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada by fxexperts: 10:53am On Nov 17, 2023
FuckingMachine:
Nigerians have invaded every country on Earth, holding top positions in most and by 2050 we will take over all of them and form an empire.
You are right an empire of corruption, nepotism and believing that snake can actually swallow money. Dey play, just dey play.
Re: Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada by Love800(m): 12:34pm On Nov 17, 2023
There is are no jobs in canada?
Are u sure about this?
ipobcannibals:
Don’t bother telling the japarians please. Let them come to Canada and experience homelessness first hand, with little to no job(s). No be the Canada wey I dey?
Re: Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada by Tobyie: 1:12pm On Nov 17, 2023
You can study in the UK, Canada and US with HND and Bsc. watch full vedio on YouTube link @letsgistnow . like, share subscribe. all the best
Re: Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada by BayoGreater: 3:11pm On Nov 17, 2023
True
Re: Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada by BayoGreater: 3:18pm On Nov 17, 2023
How can I get funding from USA, plse kindly give me hints on fundings I can apply for Masters . I just gained admission at Texas State Uni.
Re: Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada by Raalsalghul: 11:20am On Nov 18, 2023
Gerrard59:

It is something I have written extensively on, but people don't seem to understand the future effects of such decisions. They might not get the best jobs, earn higher salaries and have flourishing careers. Obviously, those with superior experience from MNCs while in Nigeria can easily plug into Corporate Canada, but for students, it is important they attend good schools.

However, ours is not that bad compared to Indians. Indians also attend those "colleges" at higher rates than our people.

Just like they convert dollar/pounds expenses to naira, but never their earnings. And it is quite terrible moving from upper middle-class backgrounds to low middle class statuses when they are not refugees. The Chinese are better off. Let's see what second generation Nigerian-Canadians become.

I think one reason for a lot of would be immigrants going to mushroom schools is that most want to leave the harshness of their immediate environment (case in point: Tinubu's Nigeria) at the closest given opportunity and then worry about career later. I'm sure many Nigerians would not mind going to University OF Bedfordshire (one of the lowly ranked U.K universities) so long as it gets them out of here. It's a case of do this first, worry about that later. Any attempt to delay might hamper their movement as you can see from the Nigerian scenario.

In addition, it's also not realistic for a lot of immigrants who intend to migrate via the student route to get into the top schools even if they aim for that. They'll be limited by the quota reserved for Homebase students and students from other nationalities, educational and outside classroom qualifying criteria and the huge school fees.

Let's also not forget that a lot of these Homebase students prepare to get into these top schools right from their elementary years by the grades they maintain, sports they get involved in, societies they belong to, leadership portfolio, their references and network and how they've represented their high school generally (I observed this from American movies). The only way a would be immigrant let's say from Nigeria would match this off the top of my head would be grades and references. So that disadvantage is there already.

While I agree with you, it might be a little bit hard getting a desired job by going to these mushroom schools, it is not impossible. Just that further work might need to be done in terms of upskilling, additional certifications, aggressive job hunting, learning a language, networking, volunteering to get their desired job. I've seen many examples of this.

Ultimately, most people wouldn't mind giving up their career aspirations just for the "paper" as seen via a lot of people migrating to the U.K via the care route. It's a trade-off that's worth it from their perspective. And in addition to that, abroad is a kind of leveller in that so long as you have a job (might not be your desired career), maintain a good credit score and live within your means, you would have access to what is seen as luxuries from your country: House, cars, high end gadgets, holidays etc which some or most people are content with. Another added advantage is the fact they believe in giving their children the supposed good life and who might become very successful or get to heights that they could not. Now that I have said this, it reminds me of a certain Zimbabwean woman I know who went to the U.K as a carer and still is but has a daughter who is a Clinical Psycologist with the NHS and a British citizen.

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:15pm On Nov 18, 2023
Raalsalghul:

I think one reason for a lot of would be immigrants going to mushroom schools is that most want to leave the harshness of their immediate environment (case in point: Tinubu's Nigeria) at the closest given opportunity and then worry about career later. I'm sure many Nigerians would not mind going to University OF Bedfordshire (one of the lowly ranked U.K universities) so long as it gets them out of here. It's a case of do this first, worry about that later. Any attempt to delay might hamper their movement as you can see from the Nigerian scenario.

In addition, it's also not realistic for a lot of immigrants who intend to migrate via the student route to get into the top schools even if they aim for that. They'll be limited by the quota reserved for Homebase students and students from other nationalities, educational and outside classroom qualifying criteria and the huge school fees.

Let's also not forget that a lot of these Homebase students prepare to get into these top schools right from their elementary years by the grades they maintain, sports they get involved in, societies they belong to, leadership portfolio, their references and network and how they've represented their high school generally (I observed this from American movies). The only way a would be immigrant let's say from Nigeria would match this off the top of my head would be grades and references. So that disadvantage is there already.

While I agree with you, it might be a little bit hard getting a desired job by going to these mushroom schools, it is not impossible. Just that further work might need to be done in terms of upskilling, additional certifications, aggressive job hunting, learning a language, networking, volunteering to get their desired job. I've seen many examples of this.

Ultimately, most people wouldn't mind giving up their career aspirations just for the "paper" as seen via a lot of people migrating to the U.K via the care route. It's a trade-off that's worth it from their perspective. And in addition to that, abroad is a kind of leveller in that so long as you have a job (might not be your desired career), maintain a good credit score and live within your means, you would have access to what is seen as luxuries from your country: House, cars, high end gadgets, holidays etc which some or most people are content with. Another added advantage is the fact they believe in giving their children the supposed good life and who might become very successful or get to heights that they could not. Now that I have said this, it reminds me of a certain Zimbabwean woman I know who went to the U.K as a carer and still is but has a daughter who is a Clinical Psycologist with the NHS and a British citizen.

I don't know about the UK but in the US going to a top school doesn't guarantee that you stay back. Everyone is put in a lottery and only the lucky get chosen and you can get a job in a big company if you went to a low ranked school and have a skill.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada by Raalsalghul: 3:20pm On Nov 18, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

I don't know about the UK but in the US going to a top school doesn't guarantee that you stay back. Everyone is put in a lottery and only the lucky get chosen and you can get a job in a big company if you went to a low ranked school and have a skill.

Yeah.

From my findings most people don't even stay in the U.S.A via their jobs or careers, they do so via marriage: real or arranged.
Re: Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada by lordally(m): 10:38pm On Nov 18, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

You're are actually very right. Raalsalghul is very golden with his insights, hmmmm what an amazing read.

As for me, I got into Scotland in August for my MSC and I should be rounding up next year. I have already applied for 2024 Internships and one company had already reached out to me and I've taken their assessment. I just hope I passed o😁...The company in question is one of the biggest in the UK. And I'm also waiting for responses from other ones I applied to. My school I think is one of the top 40 uni in UK according to them but to me e no really matter.

I believe being in an environment where your hardwork pays off really matters. Weather you go to a top school or not opportunities abound if you do your own part by Skilling up.

By the way, I'm studying MSC User experience design. And I have knowledge in front end development( Html, Css & Javascript)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:19am On Nov 19, 2023
lordally:

You're are actually very right. Raalsalghul is very golden with his insights, hmmmm what an amazing read.

As for me, I got into Scotland in August for my MSC and I should be rounding up next year. I have already applied for 2024 Internships and one company had already reached out to me and I've taken their assessment. I just hope I passed o😁...The company in question is one of the biggest in the UK. And I'm also waiting for responses from other ones I applied to. My school I think is one of the top 40 uni in UK according to them but to me e no really matter.

I believe being in an environment where your hardwork pays off really matters. Weather you go to a top school or not opportunities abound if you do your own part by Skilling up.

By the way, I'm studying MSC User experience design. And I have knowledge in front end development( Html, Css & Javascript)

Completely true. Aside the healthcare industry, most other industries care about what you can do this day and not where your degree is from. People from even mushroom universities in Nigeria are getting good jobs abroad talk less of someone from the worst UK university.

3 Likes

Re: Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada by ijeshaboy: 1:10am On Nov 19, 2023
spiSeyi:

Don't compare others based on your scale of incapabilities, I am setting up my Non-invasive blood sugar and glucose wrist band and watch production in Ibadan, FYI the PCB components will be fully printed in the PCB plant I am setting up in Ibadan
You might be worthless and inferior to Asians other Nigerians aren't
please how can I contact you.
Re: Japa: UK Varsities Hit With Low Revenues As Nigerians Turn To Canada by Laryfrosh: 1:48am On Nov 30, 2023
lordally:

You studied computer science or any related course?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ajayi Crowther University VC Shuts School After Students Poured Him Water / What A Phd Is And What It Is Not / Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.