Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,210 members, 7,811,570 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:48 PM

Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory (17465 Views)

Gary Lineker Said C Ronaldo Refused To Talk To Him Cos He Says Messi Is The GOAT / Majority of fans say better if Messi had left Barcelona - AS survey / AS Roma Supports The Super Eagles For World Cup Glory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by AImiron: 7:17pm On Nov 17, 2023
Kylian Mbappe is adamant Lionel Messi deserved to scoop a record-extending eighth Ballon d'Or after winning last winter's World Cup in Qatar.

The Argentina captain collected the individual accolade at a ceremony in Paris last month, with Mbappe and Manchester City striker Erling Haaland each earning a spot on the podium.

Messi was voted the Player of the Tournament in Qatar after scoring seven goals on his way to lifting the trophy, netting two in the final victory over France.

Golden Boot winner Mbappe bagged a hat-trick in that match and finished with 41 goals from 43 appearances across all competitions with Paris Saint-Germain last season — but still believes his former club team-mate was worthy of the Ballon d'Or.

Speaking ahead of tomorrow's Euro 2024 qualifier with Gibraltar, the France skipper said: "Messi had to win it. He won the World Cup, he's one of the greatest in history, if not the greatest for me.”

"Haaland had a great season, me too, but next to winning a World Cup it doesn't weigh much.

On the night of December 18 I knew that I had lost the World Cup and the Ballon d'Or too. Leo deserved it."

Mbappe also discussed another player who may become a Ballon d'Or contender in the coming years — club and international colleague Warren Zaire-Emery.

PSG's 17-year-old sensation is part of Didier Deschamps' Les Bleus squad after scoring two goals and assisting five more in 15 matches across Ligue 1 and the Champions League this season.

Mbappe added: "He is fascinating. He is very mature, plays with a lot of personality. He is not afraid to take the ball, to bring his team up, like modern midfielders.
"I have no advice to give him, he is a starter at PSG at 17. Even if he will make mistakes, he will learn very quickly and on his own.

"The guy plays three times a week and does his homework. We just have to protect and support him. On the field, he has to be himself."

Livescores

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by AImiron: 7:19pm On Nov 17, 2023
No need for epistle tonight.

43 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by Padipadi(m): 7:21pm On Nov 17, 2023
Almiron the morøn, you had to do this post cos Pessi lost last night.
No matter how hard you sell him, we can't forget his fraud and we know you are his gay partner.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by Chispa: 7:21pm On Nov 17, 2023
That's the last of all cheats
Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by Boyooosa(m): 7:22pm On Nov 17, 2023
Sportsmanship spirit.... I love that

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by Fiscus105(m): 7:22pm On Nov 17, 2023
......but some Twitter's rats & Nairaland's cockroaches are hell bent for Ronaldo. If not for Ronaldo, it mustn't go to Messi as well.

Anybody but Messi is okay for them!

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by BIGGIE121(m): 7:22pm On Nov 17, 2023
A goat confirming a goat

17 Likes

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by iammo(m): 7:23pm On Nov 17, 2023
Mbappe vs Halland vs Osimhen

Next best thing

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by Dexy4yah(m): 7:23pm On Nov 17, 2023
Yeah ofcos
Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by princeade86(m): 7:23pm On Nov 17, 2023
K
Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by blamingthedevil: 7:23pm On Nov 17, 2023
Mbappe next Goat

11 Likes

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by OVikkytan49: 7:23pm On Nov 17, 2023
Even Mbappe embrace the reality.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by Artorius(m): 7:23pm On Nov 17, 2023
Anybody wants to explain to me why Nigerians love and are passionate about football so much? Those guys don't care about you.

I would think we have our own problems in this country to deal with ..

4 Likes

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by Teeklef(m): 7:24pm On Nov 17, 2023
Waiting for Atomic bomb from Almiron to the guy above.1,2.......go.

1 Like

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by dfrost: 7:24pm On Nov 17, 2023
Finally cheesy
Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by Padipadi(m): 7:25pm On Nov 17, 2023
Artorius:
Anybody wants to explain to me why Nigerians love and are passionate about football so much? Those guys don't care about you.

It's Almiron the morøn that brings Pessi news here after cuming from his 🥕 carrot dîck.
These are the gays of nairaland and their partners
Almiron = Messi
WritersNig, WritersNg, WriterNg, WriterNig = Putin
Temperlandry = Teenuubull
AntiChristian = All imams in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by loswhite(m): 7:27pm On Nov 17, 2023
Artorius:

Lol do you care about me? Why should it matter? Do Nigeria care about you? Do your village ppl care about you? How many of the problems have you solved since you don't have passion towards football? Oga go and sleep

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by mayor1814: 7:28pm On Nov 17, 2023
It is glaring that messi is the best football player ever. Even haters know this fact deep down though they may find it hard to express it well.

1st MESSI
2nd MARADONA
2nd PELE

3rd Ronaldo de Lima
4th Zidane
5th Cruyff
6th Cristiano Ronaldo

38 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by nairalee(m): 7:28pm On Nov 17, 2023
Even Mbappe wey don play for the highest level know the GOAT yet some people will sit down beside smelly gutter in Ikorodu and be shouting OJORO

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by adesegun121(m): 7:30pm On Nov 17, 2023
Ok
Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by Kukutente23: 7:32pm On Nov 17, 2023
Tears for Pendunians cheesy

Mbappe wey dem very for head like gala don fall their hands grin grin

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by Angelfrost(m): 7:33pm On Nov 17, 2023
Mbappe, everyone knows this jare.

...And for those itching to start blasting Kylian on behalf of Ororo, the boy is a core Ronaldo fan. tongue

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by maasoap(m): 7:33pm On Nov 17, 2023
Artorius:

Be careful with Nigeria's problems so that it doesn't weigh you down, you're not Tinubu that we're paying to do the worries

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by paduzman: 7:33pm On Nov 17, 2023
Let's be honest, Messi hasn't been the best player on earth for the past 3-4 years. This is the hard truth many won't want to accept.

2 Likes

Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by Artorius(m): 7:35pm On Nov 17, 2023
maasoap:

Be careful with Nigeria's problems so that it doesn't weigh you down, you're not Tinubu that we're paying to do the worries

Fair point, brother grin
Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by iammo(m): 7:35pm On Nov 17, 2023
Artorius:

My leisure time I either read or enjoy TV, going out is not my thing, nor womanizing

I just hate out doors

What else can I watch?!

Football and Tennis, some WWE, Formula 1

Some Movies, Nat Geo
Re: Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory by Judolisco(m): 7:35pm On Nov 17, 2023
Messi is d greatest footballer in history... I was so happy when he won d world Cup... And some people still dey cry till today.... Nice one mbappe... Dem Wan carry ballon d'or give tap in merchant like their idol... Sorry o

20 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gov. Ikpeazu Hails Enyimba For Trouncing Rayon Sports In CAF Cup / Everton Confirm Frank Lampard As New Manager (Photos) / Obafemi Martins Celebrates His 32nd Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.