Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,686 members, 7,831,129 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:07 PM

OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) (18858 Views)

Sam Altman To Return As OpenAI CEO / Anna Makanju: Nigerian Working At OpenAI (Photos) / Microsoft Hires Sam Altman And Greg Brockman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by Swiftgrp: 3:00pm On Nov 18, 2023
SIRTee15:

Can u submit a chaptgpt generated article as assignment I'm any academic institutions?

I use chatgpt a lot. It's so bland, monotonous, vague and predictable. It lacks the detailed and specificity u want for a researched answer.

There was a time I became interested in Nigerian music industry the early colonial period especially the 1920s. Chatgpt just came up with some general and vague answers about the Nigerian music industry in general. It couldn't cone down into the 1920s I wanted.
@SIRTee15,

The last ChatGPT update was in 2021 so it indeed doesn't bring up current or real-time events and as you said it is limited in bringing up specific answers from the 1920s about Nigeria if the right prompts are not used. I too still prefer to used advanced search terms on Google for drlliing down to get information from the past. Again if you don't use the right combination of ChatGPT search prompts or commands, you will continue to get general and vague results.

I love ChatGPT though because once you use the correct PROMPTS, you can easily drill down further by querying the answers ChatGPT gives you and so on.

NOTE: If you can search online for free PDFs and YouTube videos on "ChatGPT PROMPT tutorials," I'm certain that you will get more ideas on how to drill down and get the specifics on the Nigerian music industry in the 1920s and 1930s early colonial era.

I once saw a full 30-minutes documentary years back on the origin of highlife music in Nigeria and how it originally was brought to Lagos Island from Gold Coast (now Ghana). Nigerians then took it to another level and created their own vibes with Nigerian highlife right up to the era of the iconic Orlando Julius Ekemode, Fela Kuti's Koola Lobitos, Rex Lawson, etc.

All the best.
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by LordReed(m): 3:04pm On Nov 18, 2023
SIRTee15:

Can u submit a chaptgpt generated article as assignment I'm any academic institutions?

I use chatgpt a lot. It's so bland, monotonous, vague and predictable. It lacks the detailed and specificity u want for a researched answer.

There was a time I became interested in Nigerian music industry the early colonial period especially the 1920s. Chatgpt just came up with some general and vague answers about the Nigerian music industry in general. It couldn't cone down into the 1920s I wanted.

That's because it is not actually creative, it is merely manipulating the information at its disposal to simulate human speech. It probably does not have access to data on the Nigerian music industry in the 1920s.
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by kkins25(m): 3:35pm On Nov 18, 2023
LordReed:

Most people seem to conflate what is known as general AI with the current models of AI we have. Chatgpt is a Large Language model (LLM) AI it's not a general AI so it cannot do tasks that a general AI would be able to do. All LLMs are capable of is language manipulation so anybody trying to hype it beyond should be seen as not knowing what they are talking about.

OpenAI itself doesn't even make any claims that paint its AI models as anything other than LLMs so no they don't do finance or crypto or whatever else apart from language manipulation. The buzz around them is mainly focused on expanding content creation capabilities, you heard about the Hollywood writers strike right? AI was a big part of that issue. Imagine if AI could be trained to replace all those writers, you can practically see the dollar signs in studio executives eyes. Stuff like this is the reason you have the big businesses wanting their fingers in the AI pie.

General AI itself is still a thing that resides in sci-fi. I'd argue that LLMs are closer to GI than we think.

LordReed:

That's because it is not actually creative, it is merely manipulating the information at its disposal to simulate human speech. It probably does not have access to data on the Nigerian music industry in the 1920s.
SIRT ee15, I'd argue that, that's because you don't know how to use it. copy paste the instruction you used, and i'd refine it for you. Let's see the difference.

If it doesn't have data for Nigerian music in the early 1920s, that's because it's not fed with such information. That's not ChatGPT fault. I have no idea of that too, like 99.99% of us on the forum or in Nigeria.
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by Beverlyjean(f): 3:36pm On Nov 18, 2023
Same happened to Steve Jobs
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by Blitzking: 3:44pm On Nov 18, 2023
tonicyril:
Wait....

U mean ordinary associates sacked him from his own invention??

Imagine me inventing something and some fullish associates said they want to serve me breakfast for whatever reason...

Aswear deadbody go yapa, dem never born them well

Na Ogun and ayilala go later settle the matter grin
Happens all the time in d cooperate world.. taking the form of legalities.. majority votes or hostile take over...what did u think otedollar wanted to do with Tony when he secretly bought 5 percent of transport...he had to go to the holding company to bring more fire power to repel the attack.
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by Goldenchyke(m): 3:49pm On Nov 18, 2023
This IT guru guy is even a university dropout.

And university graduates hired him to build such amazing and innovative technology for them.

Okay ooool
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by LordReed(m): 4:27pm On Nov 18, 2023
kkins25:

General AI itself is still a thing that resides in sci-fi. I'd argue that LLMs are closer to GI than we think.

Exactly. It seems people hear AI and think of all the sci-fi movies involving AI that they've watched. LLMs are not even close, they are too narrow in scope to even approach the versatility that general AI would possess.
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by Jetland(m): 4:33pm On Nov 18, 2023
tonicyril:
Bros if I didn't code u won't have the materia to invest on in the first place...

If I erred, cal board meeting and let settle it, if I don't heed then sell ur shares and comot..

Abi until we start to dey use gbetugbetu pursue ourselves for dream before u know that it doesn't work that way in Africa??

grin
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by toprealman: 4:43pm On Nov 18, 2023
Magnoliaa:

Management what? 😂😂

Please.
Leave the hype, mistakes here and there, the politics….that guy knows many things you will never even imagine should be known
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by wwwtortoise(m): 4:44pm On Nov 18, 2023
Anaskie:
I pray these capitalists don't destroy Open AI, by monetising it.

Chat GPT is the best thing to have happened to the world, post COVID era. They should leave it free for us to enjoy.

It has already been monetized at inception.
Every new venture requires solid consumer-base to thrive at the post embryonic stage.

It’s a long existing market entry strategy.
ChatGPT 4.0v churns out premium contents void of plagiarism, AI detection systems and is only available for paid subscribers.

Nothing is free in America and the world at large.
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by maureensylvia(f): 4:50pm On Nov 18, 2023
Angelfrost:

CEO is just a position subject to majority shareholders' votes.

As long as he has major shares in the company, he will remain a top member of the board of directors. He will continue earning fat paychecks, and remain influential in board room decisions.

Let someone else with a better vision and ideas run the company from the top.

That's how successful LLC businesses work.

Better vision? Who has better vision than the creator?

1 Like

Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by Angelfrost(m): 5:21pm On Nov 18, 2023
maureensylvia:

Better vision? Who has better vision than the creator?

The creator has done well in laying the foundation... He can run out of ideas on the day to day running of the business and the direction they should go.

He will always be the founder and majority shareholder, but for the survival and growth of the company, it makes sense to hand the running of the company to someone with fresher and more futuristic ideas.

That's how it works in successful corporate organizations... You don't turn it into a family business of making heirs the key office holders.

That's what makes most football clubs stay successful for decades! They move direct management away from the family of the founders... The founder's family members can remain on the board as shareholders, except they show beyond all doubts that they have all it takes to run the business profitably.

That's how Zuckerberg was removed from overseeing the business of Facebook... Same with Apple before Steve Jobs died... Google has changed CEOs severally.

The original vision of the founder may not always be enough to take the company to higher heights.

This is why some companies (and even churches) don't survive in Nigeria... We mostly believe the family must keep running the show, even when ideas have run out.

1 Like

Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by Carlos3917: 5:40pm On Nov 18, 2023
I just came across the news about OpenAI undergoing a leadership change, with Sam Altman stepping down as the CEO. It's always interesting when there's a shift at the top, especially for a company like OpenAI that has been at the forefront of AI development.

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this. What could this mean for the future direction of OpenAI and, more specifically, for ChatGPT? Do you think a change in leadership might bring about new initiatives or changes in the existing approach?

Sam Altman has been a key figure in the tech world, so it's definitely a noteworthy development. I wonder who the new CEO will be and what kind of vision they might bring to the table.

Let's use this space to speculate, discuss, and share any insights we might have. What are your predictions for OpenAI's future, and how do you think it might impact the development and deployment of technologies like ChatGPT?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

1 Like

Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by StephanieBr: 5:46pm On Nov 18, 2023
Wow, this news about OpenAI and Sam Altman is quite surprising. Sam Altman has been at the forefront of OpenAI's leadership, and his departure raises a lot of questions about the future direction of the company. I wonder what led to this decision and how it will impact the development of ChatGPT and other projects.

It's always a bit unsettling when a prominent figure like Sam Altman leaves a company. The dynamics within the leadership team must be undergoing significant changes. I hope OpenAI provides more information soon to address any concerns and uncertainties within the community.

On the positive side, change can sometimes bring fresh perspectives and new ideas. I'm curious to see who will step into Sam Altman's shoes and how they will steer OpenAI forward. Let's hope for a smooth transition and continued success for ChatGPT and the entire OpenAI team.

What are your thoughts on this, fellow Nairalanders?

1 Like

Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by ColorationMento: 5:49pm On Nov 18, 2023
Analysts scrambled to interpret the shake-up and the sacking of Altman, a Stanford University dropout, entrepreneur and computer coder.

Honestly the way drop out used to be creative and thinking outside the box to stand out among even people that has the whole academic certificate baffles me sometime. He is just a genius
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by Blackdisciple(m): 6:24pm On Nov 18, 2023
MrCGPA:
He will Certainly get a higher Job with the level of his Knowledge. If you reach some Level in IT you definitely be look after by Giant Companies.

Sure he will
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by emmy4real94(m): 6:28pm On Nov 18, 2023
Microsoft has taken over this company be that! The billion they injected came with more seats on the table. And now they will monetize it fulltime! Reminds me of the movie "silicon valley"
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by truongnguyen829(m): 7:07pm On Nov 18, 2023
smiley smiley smiley
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by blowjohn(m): 8:43pm On Nov 18, 2023
Something very dark and evil is behind all these.
Powers that be.

Watch what will happen in the nearest future.
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by bigiyaro(m): 9:11pm On Nov 18, 2023
Greediness no good. Anyhow Sha, they can't take his abilities and knowledge from him. Chatgpt will soon die off. Version 2.0 is coming under another name and company.
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by Sprints3: 9:17pm On Nov 18, 2023
MrCGPA:
He will Certainly get a higher Job with the level of his Knowledge. If you reach some Level in IT you definitely be look after by Giant Companies.
get or build his own AI app... He won't work for another company trust me he might strike partnership with some else in the tech industry aside Meta Microsoft Google And Amazon he might combine with the eastern people the Saudis a
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by ElonEmpire: 10:01pm On Nov 18, 2023
uuzba:

They created technology and they have to always stress themselves to be ABOVE technology
so they can remain relevant to improve it.
The moment they become clueless about anything, they lose their jobs.
-
But here in Nigeria, we celebrate cluelessness.
The dumbest people are paid the highest salaries to continue fxxxing up.
U have a point though ,
But not sacking me from my own company,
Bro it is not happening.
We kuku scatter everything everybody rest

1 Like

Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by Offpoint1: 7:13am On Nov 19, 2023
tonicyril:
Bros if I didn't code u won't have the materia to invest on in the first place...

If I erred, cal board meeting and let settle it, if I don't heed then sell ur shares and comot..

Abi until we start to dey use gbetugbetu pursue ourselves for dream before u know that it doesn't work that way in Africa??
You won't be sacked if you didn't signed such legal agreement before.

If you own any company/business and someone have bigger share in your business than you, it automatically means you've sold out the ownership, and you're just a staff.
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by tonicyril: 7:28am On Nov 19, 2023
Offpoint1:

You won't be sacked if you didn't signed such legal agreement before.

If you own any company/business and someone have bigger share in your business than you, it automatically means you've sold out the ownership, and you're just a staff.
grin grin grin grin grin grin

Wel, I love Africa for that, I won't ever sign a nonsense agreement in the first place...

Secondly, I am not going to allow u the space to have majority of the stake..no

But wait ooh, this people mad ooh, this literally means u can own a business even if u re not the one that created it...omo, u sure say a no go move to the west like this??
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by Offpoint1: 7:37am On Nov 19, 2023
tonicyril:
grin grin grin grin grin grin

Wel, I love Africa for that, I won't ever sign a nonsense agreement in the first place...

Secondly, I am not going to allow u the space to have majority of the stake..no

But wait ooh, this people mad ooh, this literally means u can own a business even if u re not the one that created it...omo, u sure say a no go move to the west like this??
Not only west bro, that's a standard practice world wide even here in Nigeria.

That's why when you have a potential invention or business, you should be careful in the initial state when investors are trooping in. They are not there for your own good.

Investors are looking desperate business owners at their vulnerable state, which is always the beginning or when business is collapsing. At that stage you're desperate to sign anything.

That's the cruel world of business.
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by tonicyril: 7:41am On Nov 19, 2023
Offpoint1:

Not only west bro, that's a standard practice world wide even here in Nigeria.

That's why when you have a potential invention or business, you should be careful in the initial state when investors are trooping in. They are not there for your own good.

Investors are looking desperate business owners at their vulnerable state, which is always the beginning or when business is collapsing. At that stage you're desperate to sign anything.

That's the cruel world of business.
hmmmm

I am seeing ur submission from another prism bro..tho I have never bn into the business world but this u said here is an eye opener..
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by goldmatrix(m): 11:12am On Nov 19, 2023
How can you fire a CEO in Nigeria even when he leads the organization straight to the valley of shallow of dead?
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by poseidon12: 1:02pm On Nov 19, 2023
MT:

You are thinking this way because you grew up in Nigeria - a very toxic society.

Exactly. He is a typical Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by poseidon12: 1:23pm On Nov 19, 2023
Goldenchyke:
This IT guru guy is even a university dropout.

And university graduates hired him to build such amazing and innovative technology for them.

Okay ooool

Not your typical University dropout. These are very smart chaps (like Bill Gates) who dropped out because they saw an opportunity to make big money. Not because of academic difficulties.

1 Like

Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by Fairview1: 6:12pm On Nov 19, 2023
tonicyril:
Wait....

U mean ordinary associates sacked him from his own invention??

Imagine me inventing something and some fullish associates said they want to serve me breakfast for whatever reason...

Aswear deadbody go yapa, dem never born them well

Na Ogun and ayilala go later settle the matter grin

You certainly need more knowledge on how leadership and management work at the board room. Pray it's not even a hostile takeover from your competitors. Many Sharks out there.
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by Fairview1: 6:13pm On Nov 19, 2023
BadMaster:
Someone with the capacity of building Ai to the level the world couldn't imagine, will definitely go on to do something more remarkable. Sam Altman and Brockman are definitely going to do wonders on their own.

He's been doing amazing things
Re: OpenAI (ChatGPT) Sacks Sam Altman (CEO) by AlphaTaikun: 11:22pm On Nov 21, 2023

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

15 Signs You Have A Bad Boss / It Certification From The British Computer Society Equivalent To Bsc From Uk / Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.