Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,931 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:27 PM

Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer (18839 Views)

This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice / An Employer Sent The Above Message To His Employees / Frustrated Employee Blasts His Employer For Always Messing With His “small” Sala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Machi1(m): 12:55pm On Dec 25, 2017
Good day nairalanders,
I need an advise from any lawyer in the house. I got a new job and was a given a letter of employment by the HR personnel of the company. I told the HR personnel that I have to give one month notice to my current employer then but she insisted on 3weeks. I agreed with the 3 weeks and sent my letter of resignation giving 3 weeks ahead as my last day with my current employer then. After about a week the HR personnel told me that the company cannot pay me the agreed amount, I told her that I have dropped my resignation letter and there is nothing I can do about it at that point in time.
On the resumption date stated in my letter of employment, I went to the HR personnel and to my greatest surprise she acted as if we have not met before, I had to introduce myself.
She requested for my resignation letter because she was insisting that I might have not resigned when she told me about the salary. Meanwhile, I sent my resignation letter as an attachment through my official email with my previous employer. I provided the copy of the letter and she insisted to get mail itself that I attached the letter. I was not able to get that since I no longer have access to the email.
We dragged this issue for a long time till she admitted that the vacancy no longer exists. I am now jobless for a month now.
I intend to write to my previous employer to confirm that they received resignation letter on the date I sent it to them. Finally, I intend to sue the company for a breach of contract, Please advise if I have a chance to win the case. Thanks for your responses.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by biacan(f): 1:01pm On Dec 25, 2017
hmmmmmm this is a serious issue but are you in good terms with your previous employer before you left the company.....?
Go to his friends and explain to them beg them to take you to him and promise your employer that you've accepted the cause of your actions and it won't happen again he should give you one last chance GOOD Luck

meanwhile
Pray and fast before doing the above the creator is still faithful

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 25, 2017
A bird in hand....

Since you are jobless now, how do you intend to pay for a lawyer? Better go and learn how to use a computer because you might need the skills to do what those boys that bring Benz and carry 10 runz girls do.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Hibiyemsy: 1:14pm On Dec 26, 2017
Machi1:
Good day nairalanders,
I need an advise from any lawyer in the house. I got a new job and was a given a letter of employment by the HR personnel of the company. I told the HR personnel that I have to give one month notice to my current employer then but she insisted on 3weeks. I agreed with the 3 weeks and sent my letter of resignation giving 3 weeks ahead as my last day with my current employer then. After about a week the HR personnel told me that the company cannot pay me the agreed amount, I told her that I have dropped my resignation letter and there is nothing I can do about it at that point in time.
On the resumption date stated in my letter of employment, I went to the HR personnel and to my greatest surprise she acted as if we have not met before, I had to introduce myself.
She requested for my resignation letter because she was insisting that I might have not resigned when she told me about the salary. Meanwhile, I sent my resignation letter as an attachment through my official email with my previous employer. I provided the copy of the letter and she insisted to get mail itself that I attached the letter. I was not able to get that since I no longer have access to the email.
We dragged this issue for a long time till she admitted that the vacancy no longer exists. I am now jobless for a month now.
I intend to write to my previous employer to confirm that they received resignation letter on the date I sent it to them. Finally, I intend to sue the company for a breach of contract, Please advise if I have a chance to win the case. Thanks for your responses.
Yes.if you have the resources go to a reputable law firm and you'll be advised accordingly

8 Likes

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by babajeje123(m): 5:08pm On Dec 26, 2017
Hibiyemsy:

Yes.if you have the resources go to a reputable law firm and you'll be advised accordingly
One of the reasons I don't do a month notice stuff.

3 Likes

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by tosbobby(m): 6:17pm On Dec 26, 2017
Bros,
You would have consulted wise men/friends before taking such decision why because Nigeria is not an ideal environment for such practice.
You would have requested for leave then go and resume at the other office. Take your time to study the working environment before concluding on your decision.
I doubt if going back there would make a significant difference because an average man is not happy about another man’s progress. As a result, even if the post is still vacant, they may tell you that they have employed another person.
Even a lawyer go use you chop because hiring a lawyer has some cost implications. The company can even take their stand claiming they have issues. Will you kill them?
These are part of the irregularities that made this country Nigeria…
Go and queue on nairaland job page; trust me you don’t wanna give up.

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by tosbobby(m): 6:20pm On Dec 26, 2017
babajeje123:

One of the reasons I don't do a month notice stuff.
Nigeria is not just too ideal for such formality.
The company just rubbished the guy's career.
Ii think he ought to even slap the HR that was telling him gibberish

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by nony43(m): 7:01am On Dec 27, 2017
W

1 Like

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by MaziOmenuko: 7:03am On Dec 27, 2017
Yes, u have a strong case. Head to an industrial court and file your case. You may not need the services of a lawyer if you can't afford one. This is a serious breach of contract; forget about the letter they are asking for, they gave you a valid appointment letter stating the conditions of engagement.

For the benefit of others reading:

When you get a new offer, resume immediately! Forget the one month in Lieu nonsense. There is provisions in the labor act for monitizing it. You return one month basic salary to them and move on. Maximum of one week notice is ideal if u are in a position where a comprehensive handover is required.

Another option is to get your annual leave and resume At the new place. Mail them towards the end of the leave and then take two days and return to them to formalise the exit.

I prefer a hard copy letter and keep a signed copy. If u must mail, then copy your own private mail.

Don't let those bastards get away with this. Sue their ars.e for the entire offer they gave u multiplied by 35 yrs u would have worked for them, include legal fees, inconvenience fee and 12% interest rate pending on when the case will be concluded. Industrial court don don't take that long.

169 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Standardcosting(m): 7:03am On Dec 27, 2017
I'm sure you have a good case

But in Nigeria where companies can go to the extent of bribing Judges

1 Like

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by GeoOla25(m): 7:05am On Dec 27, 2017
sorry bro...
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by ejosh4(m): 7:05am On Dec 27, 2017
Chaiii

Village people at work

Eleyi gidi gan

From 2 jobs to Zero within a month

All I can say is “All will be well"

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Wallade(m): 7:06am On Dec 27, 2017
Hibiyemsy:

You have a good case against the new company that refused to honor the agreement.

1 Like

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by cassidy1996(m): 7:06am On Dec 27, 2017
sorry, I feel for you. please forget about the lawyer thing, concentrate on getting another job and put everything thing GOD'S HANDS

please I want to warn those good Samaritan's out there , mind who you lend money to some people are evil. they will never pay you back and when you ask for your money, they are ready to fight and call you names

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by bankyblue(m): 7:06am On Dec 27, 2017
tosbobby:
Bros,
You would have consulted wise men/friends before taking such decision why because Nigeria is not an ideal environment for such practice.
You would have requested for leave then go and resume at the other office. Take your time to study the working environment before concluding on your decision.
I doubt if going back there would make a significant difference because an average man is not happy about another man’s progress. As a result, even if the post is still vacant, they may tell you that they have employed another person.
Even a lawyer go use you chop because hiring a lawyer has some cost implications. The company can even take their stand claiming they have issues. Will you kill them?
These are part of the irregularities that made this country Nigeria…
Go and queue on nairaland job page; trust me you don’t wanna give up.

U said it all, that is what I do, I take leave, resume, check how they operate, and decide if I will stay or not.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Oblongata: 7:07am On Dec 27, 2017
Na to visit babalawo

1 Like

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Nobody: 7:07am On Dec 27, 2017
Damn! What sort of cruelty is this?
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by tundeotunba(m): 7:07am On Dec 27, 2017
U are walking on a tight rope already.

Best of luck

1 Like

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Awoo88: 7:08am On Dec 27, 2017
Machi1:
Good day nairalanders,
You should sue
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by slapandfall(m): 7:08am On Dec 27, 2017
Complicated.. Never heard this before

1 Like

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Flye: 7:10am On Dec 27, 2017
@machi1 it is challengeable and u can win. However Nigeria is very corrupt, the court, the judge and your adversary may collaborate to frustrate ur good case. Find a good lawyer, demand for good penalty and split the penalty with your lawyer in an agreed ratio that way u can take care of the bill.

1 Like

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Boland(m): 7:10am On Dec 27, 2017
Well, I guess you've learnt your lessons. Human beings cannot be relied on especially in a country where people can do as they please and get away with it.

Sue the damn New firm and also figure out a way to get your old job back. It's possible though difficult.
Pray before you go, perhaps, it's time for you to get closer to God.

Goodluck.

3 Likes

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by ebujany(m): 7:11am On Dec 27, 2017
Gather your evidence including letter of employment. Meet with the HR personnel of the new company and threaten to sue for damages. Infact deliver a court summon to her. As for your old employee, it depends on the relationship you had with them before quilting

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Ojuororun(m): 7:15am On Dec 27, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
Yes, u have a strong case
vilage ppl at work cheesy som1 need a very seriouse deliverance here o jesu.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Nobody: 7:16am On Dec 27, 2017
OP, even if you sue the new company and win the case, do you think they will pay you the agreed amount? Hope you have documents of the agreement? Have they issued you an offer letter?

Can you negotiate another salary?
If you win the case and they take you, if after paying you once they fire you? Will you sue them again?

I wish you the best out of this situation

4 Likes

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by tolujohnso: 7:16am On Dec 27, 2017
Did you sign an acknowledgment copy of the letter of ? A resumption date must ve bn written on d letter, did it coincide wt 3 weeks or 1 month? Depending on ur answer to dis question u may ve a gud case. Worse case d case can be treated like termination where u get severance pay. If u re lucky, d court may award amounts to compensate u for trauma idleness in for of salaries for certain months. However, d court most likely would not force u on d company.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by PEPPERified: 7:17am On Dec 27, 2017
Of course you have a good case. If I got you right;
1. You were informed of the vacancy.
2. You applied.
3. You were given the job you applied for and also given an employment letter with the terms of the employment.
4. You informed them that you'd have to give a Month's notice to terminate your previous employment which they were aware of.

Subject to any other condition stated in the employment letter, the moment you accepted the employment letter from the HR of the company, you became their employee, and are entitled to the full privileges and benefits which the employee should have, with special regards to the position you were given in the letter.

Your lawyer might have to write to them stating intentions of going to court ( National Industrial Court) for redress, and if nothing is done proceed to court for redress.

inbox me for further clarifications.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by cruzita(f): 7:21am On Dec 27, 2017
grin Carry the company name go shrine
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by DozieInc(m): 7:22am On Dec 27, 2017
Kpele... sori
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by free2ryhme: 7:26am On Dec 27, 2017
Machi1:
Good day nairalanders,

You can sue for breach of contract you have a good case

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Graduate Who Sells Food With A Wheelbarrow Reveals She Makes More Than Paidwork / How Lucrative Is The Legal Profession? / I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.