Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,636 members, 7,813,104 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:06 AM

How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? (10701 Views)

An International NGO In Nigeria Is Recruiting 8 Content Freelancers / Pricewaterhousecooper (pwc) Graduate Recruitment 2018 – Assurance & Tax Regulato / Npower Tax. I Received This Message From Npower Tax. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by samuelson06(m): 2:10pm On Dec 16, 2023
creativehubb:

Mumu senators use tax payers money to buy vehicle of N130million each...how much does your freelance make?

Keep your small money.

The person has probably lost touch with realities here. That's how they start and create big problems for others. I wonder how much he or she is even making online.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by gadgetplanetng: 2:10pm On Dec 16, 2023
Go to your state internal revenue,
Give them your income in naira and ask for self assessment

anu3:
Hello, please could anyone with experience tell me how to full my duties to the government in terms of tax. I've never done it before.

And would I calculate it in dollars or naira; if dollars, will it be in official rate or parallel market rate.

If you know what's right, please let me know.

Thanks.
Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by beey4u(m): 2:10pm On Dec 16, 2023
I can help you with it.
Send email to clearpathprofessionalservice@gmail.com

Thanks

anu3:
Hello, please could anyone with experience tell me how to full my duties to the government in terms of tax. I've never done it before.

And would I calculate it in dollars or naira; if dollars, will it be in official rate or parallel market rate.

Thanks.
Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by SonofIsima(m): 2:12pm On Dec 16, 2023
anu3:

Thanks.

Can you please, mentor me on the freelance teaching job online. Thank you.
Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by LowKeyManny: 2:13pm On Dec 16, 2023
anu3:

Thanks.

Pay in Naira at the prevailing CBN forex rate.

As to the nature of tax payable I can only deduce personal income tax (PIT) for now. Unless further disclosures are made.

The channel of payment will depend on the status of your residency.

1 Like

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by anu3: 2:14pm On Dec 16, 2023
samuelson06:

You are probably sick. Go and buy problem for yourself. That's your business.

If you have TIN, what else do you want? Oh, you want them to give you an account you'll be making deposits every month? I'm suspecting you are trying to trigger the government to begin troubling freelancers. Go ahead. All the tax others have been paying, what are they using it to do?

You're still one of those who don't want to understand. Anyway, take care.

1 Like

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by BoldBrainz(m): 2:18pm On Dec 16, 2023
rayopt:

Fr bro. You sound harsh but it is the truth. If you spend so much time online, knowing these things should not be difficult. But it is wat it is anyway.

Imagine being a citizen who sources his income means without the help of government and coming here to ask where to pay tax. Na oversabi be that one or just basic foolishness?!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by noCAP(m): 2:22pm On Dec 16, 2023
anu3:

Thanks.
omo, you dull no be small. Tax for wetin? How much you think say you dey make wey dey freak you to pay tax?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by noCAP(m): 2:23pm On Dec 16, 2023
samuelson06:

You are probably sick. Go and buy problem for yourself. That's your business.

If you have TIN, what else do you want? Oh, you want them to give you an account you'll be making deposits every month? I'm suspecting you are trying to trigger the government to begin troubling freelancers. Go ahead. All the tax others have been paying, what are they using it to do?
obviously, that's op's game plan

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by JustPowerApps(m): 2:27pm On Dec 16, 2023
Pls shut the bleep up and stop trying to draw government attention to freelancing kiss

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by Apus: 2:29pm On Dec 16, 2023
The services(light, water, waste) you pay for here in Nigeria is enough tax.

Don't know about you, but a certain amount of money is being deducted from my total pay before I'm being paid as a freelancer. Why should I pay tax again here in Nigeria. Same government that refused to provide youths with jobs and would've rendered us useless for life, but thanks to the internet.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by JustPowerApps(m): 2:32pm On Dec 16, 2023
MuslimIgbo:
They're assume they pay through all those platforms that connects them to their gigs..

Upwork

Fiverr etc

I don't blame you guys, it is the dimwits calling every di*k and harry to freelancing I blame to be sincere.

2 Likes

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by rayopt(m): 2:34pm On Dec 16, 2023
anu3:

No, the details of each state is not. I wanted a first hand experience maybe. It's even strange to the officials themselves. But I had to be careful so I don't get cheated.

It is not necessary pls. The freelance company already compute its tax. You also pay tax in different forms. You don't own a business. If you need a tax document for something, it is best to register a business. Clearly, your question should have been how to register a company.

1 Like

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by Foodhub2023: 2:40pm On Dec 16, 2023
anu3:

And would I calculate it in dollars or naira; if dollars, wil l il be in official rate or parallel market rate.

Thanks.
For now abeg use that one assist less jobless family man this celebration season and celebration wil never end in ur life. Been out of job for 8 months no lie with 2 kids.
Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by abuhusna1: 2:41pm On Dec 16, 2023
BoldBrainz:
For a freelancer, you sound like too much of a proper dunce.

For you not to know that almost every item you buy in the nigerian markets is properly taxed and you pay all of it, leaves questions as to how you attained the standard of being referred to as a freelancer..
If you want to travel abroad they will ask you for your tax certificate. So it's a must you pay it even as a freelancer.
Calculate how much you made in a year declare it to tax board and they will tell you how much tax to pay usually around 15 to 20% of your annual income

2 Likes

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by SenecaTheYonger: 2:45pm On Dec 16, 2023
anu3:

Friend, I've given my testimony a few times now. Doing right works for me, especially after I got changed by mercy.

If you and the government choose to do wrong it's your choice. But we must remember we shall individually reap what we sow...

God bless.

You are supposed to pay taxes to the country you’re earning from because it’s their money. So what is stopping you? I’m sure it’s a developed country so they have their tax structure. You should pay it there

3 Likes

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by searchlight: 2:46pm On Dec 16, 2023
Hamachi:
wink Link me up with this your remote work na, make I dey like you too na
Write me on my email if you are ready to do online legit job.

1 Like

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by samuelson06(m): 2:46pm On Dec 16, 2023
anu3:

You're still one of those who don't want to understand. Anyway, take care.

Understand what exactly when you are trying to create problems for others? You've gotten a TIN that you can easily give to your potential employer that wants to deduct withdrawal tax for the government, what else do you want?

Why not just go to FIRS and petition them to start collecting tax from freelancers and even tell them how to go about it?

2 Likes

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by SimpleGuy001: 2:58pm On Dec 16, 2023
Hamachi:
is your business registered? If no, then there no need going to FIRS. The state Internal Revenue Service is what you remit your PAYE to but it if registered then your remit both your VAT, CIT & WHT to FIRS while your PAYE is remitted to the state Internal Revenue Service. You can drop your mail so we can discuss further. Good morning

@ anu3 first of all, what are you registering for? Yourself as an enterprenuer or your business?

If yourself, then it’s just PIT you are to pay to your state Internal Revenue Service.

If your business (a limited company) then payment is to be made to the FIRS. If a sole propership or just a business name then remit your income tax, WHT to the state government.

There are rules to this though.

If your business is not making up to N25M annually as revenue, you are exempted from charging and remitting VAT, WHT and payment of CIT (although you are still required to file NIL CIT return with the FIRS as a limited company.

You can DM me for more info. I can guide you for free, I work as a tax consultant with a Big 4 firm in Naija.

5 Likes

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by Angelfrost(m): 3:03pm On Dec 16, 2023
anu3:

Thanks.

Everyone pays tax, Chief.

VAT
Duties
Transfer fees
Etc.

If you want to pay income tax to your state government and get tax ID number and certificate, then you go to the revenue office, fill some forms, declare your monthly income, and pay monthly or for the whole year.... This enables you get a tax record.

2 Likes

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by airsaylongcome: 3:07pm On Dec 16, 2023
anu3:

Hmm... You don't understand. The giver of life also gives commands: to give to Caesar what's his...

Has Ceasar also given you what is due to you? Good hospitals? Good roads? Good light? Did Ceasar take you to Dubai for COP? Are you part of the ₦160m car largesse?

Leave this tax talk alone please. When you worked odd hours, spent money on petrol did Ceasar not know that you needed electricity for you to give to them what "belongs" to them?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by papyjaypaul: 3:08pm On Dec 16, 2023
Rilwayne001:

OP isn't asking about VAT, he is asking about personal income tax. That he's paying VAT on products he buys doesn't mean he's not eligible to pay his PIT.

You didn't have to insult him.

Op already gave him the perfect response that he doesn't understand but for the benefit of others, what they don't know is that not paying taxes is a serious crime and those companies don't want to get into trouble, that's why they ask. They can be sued for tax fraud which will put them in jail so why will they waste their time being lawless. You can lose big gigs if you don't pay taxes. It pays to pay your taxes and show records. OP, Nairaland is not your answer, speak to a chartered accountant to help you. It does not cost much considering state boards may want to audit you and stress you.

People calling Op stupid are the stupid ones because rather than focus their energies to the public servants who are 4kn dem up with their taxes, they bully fellow citizens. When you sabi say na your money govt de spend , u go wise up for election and governance.

3 Likes

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by Hamachi(f): 3:13pm On Dec 16, 2023
anu3:

Oh, thanks sister...

Well, I went to the state board to know how it's done and I was directed to another branch. I was not satisfied with their answers. I expected them to tell me the percentage or educate me on how to calculate (I've had to learn online) and how to pay by myself online. But the woman I met was almost insisting to "help", and not willing to give the website and stuff. They're more interested in knowing what I do and how much is my income for the year.

Also I wasn't sure about the currency/rate I would use. But I've decided to calculate everything in naira according to the "official rate" of each month. Cos I don't think it's reasonable to be paying the government with black/parallel rate in any case.

I have a plan to go again in January (to pay); I'll tell them what I need if there not serious I'll tell them I'll try firs as I suggested to the woman yesterday...

And I think the percentage should be around 7% to 12%. She showed an example: 3m = 350... But I think firs has everything clear online and not secretly. I don't want the situation where I'll be paying the government and it's workers from my hard-earned...
I understand your frustrations but if you are in Lagos then you can look it up on etax.lirs.net

It's first 300k@7%
Next 300k@11%
The next 500
Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by Hamachi(f): 3:16pm On Dec 16, 2023
searchlight:
Write me on my email if you are ready to do online legit job.
Oga drop your email here abeg
Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by OgaFactCheck: 3:18pm On Dec 16, 2023
anu3:

Oh, all right. Thanks. But shouldn't them just tell me how to pay online—and even hiding the process from me, but quite insisting I bring cash to them. I think that should be easy to do on common bank app...

Cos I'm not paying because the money is too much or I'm willing to waste... I'm doing it cos it's the right thing.

I am not sure all States have online payment option but I know few States in the Southwest with online payment option (Lagos and Ogun precisely). Not sure about others. You can make enquiry at your State's IRS. Best regards.

I guess you stay at least 183 days in Nigeria in a year, so, I need not bother you with the residency rule as stated by one person above.

2 Likes

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by JetStar: 3:29pm On Dec 16, 2023
anu3:

Yeah sis... Thanks for your reaching out.

An online employer once told me a tax number was a major requirement before I could start working with her, so I had to go and register and get TIN. Later turned the offer down due to some reasons.

I wouldn't have bothered at all, but you know I got strictly changed after secondary school about 13 years ago—of which I almost passed away.

So, owing to God's command I've embraced taxing whether I like it or not. They told me back then that I would have come by the end of the year as it's once in a year.

I think I'll still to go and ask them for clarifications...

There are many freelancers that are not paying taxes o and there is nothing wrong with that. If a client (presumably a US client) ask you for tax credentials then go get tax credentials from the USA. Nigerian tax ID is not known in the US. If the purpose of getting tax ID is because of religious fanaticism, my dear, nor use your belief take do wetin go make you and others regret their actions. Besides, I don't know where God threatened tax evaders with hell fire in the holy books. Please just enjoy your money in peace otherwise govt. will ruin your life in pieces. Busybody is not good.
Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by adeiza4u(m): 3:32pm On Dec 16, 2023
anu3:

Thanks.
Anu3, can we talk? I just shoot you a DM, will appreciate your response.
I'm a LinkedIn ghostwriter and it's been a huge blessing. Someone once suggested I should also explore this stuff you referred to since I read and teach English and Literature.
Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by anu3: 3:38pm On Dec 16, 2023
anu3:

Well, I'm honestly not interested in it. But after a life situation and I got converted, now it's sure I must give to Caesar what's his.

And like I said, I know I'll be cheating myself if I don't do what I know is right... Nothing works better for me. For instance, I've experience a situation when my income suddenly went over ×10... Consider that...

God bless
Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by online4business: 3:41pm On Dec 16, 2023
The op is a confused follower na only agbado supporter mascurading as a freelancer.

Government no give you light
Government no give you job
Government no give you water
Government no give you road.
Fuel or solar you setup to run your hustle.

Them carry money buy exotic car for themselves.

You now make money and be asking how to pay tax.

No be foooool dey think like that if truly you're a freelancer.

Stop the mascurading op come and tell Nigeria freelancer you want to tax them.

Even for usa people dey register scorp company for Nevada, and iowa to aviod tax.

Stop clowning around

3 Likes

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by BigNija: 4:00pm On Dec 16, 2023
See who is talking about good English

Well, I would say maybe it's possible, but it's not very easy. Maybe it's possible if you are good at general English and you like teaching. I remember trying to help some teachers that contacted me here, but they soon gave up which was okay.

Cos I actually began trying back in 2017. After awhile, and so much waste of money and energy, I gave up and later returned when God just somehow link me up with a foreign school through another Nigerian just last year...[/quote]
Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by anu3: 4:02pm On Dec 16, 2023
online4business:
The op is a confused follower na only agbado supporter mascurading as a freelancer.

Government no give you light
Government no give you job
Government no give you water
Government no give you road.
Fuel or solar you setup to run your hustle.

Them carry money buy exotic car for themselves.

You now make money and be asking how to pay tax.

No be foooool dey think like that if truly you're a freelancer.

Stop the mascurading op come and tell Nigeria freelancer you want to tax them.

Even for usa people dey register scorp company for Nevada, and iowa to aviod tax.

Stop clowning around

Don't worry bro... Do what pays you. But I promise it pays much better to do right—my experience for 13 years. Even if government chooses to do evil, it doesn't make them qualify to be my role models.

And you know taxing is already on some major online platforms—I think they are the ones to make it well-known...

In the end, each one will receive what they deserve: government or civilian...

4 Likes

Re: How Do Freelancers Pay Tax? by anu3: 4:06pm On Dec 16, 2023
BigNija:
See who is talking about good English

Well, I would say maybe it's possible, but it's not very easy. Maybe it's possible if you are good at general English and you like teaching. I remember trying to help some teachers that contacted me here, but they soon gave up which was okay.

Cos I actually began trying back in 2017. After awhile, and so much waste of money and energy, I gave up and later returned when God just somehow link me up with a foreign school through another Nigerian just last year...

Well, please, kindly teach me more if you want to. Get your point/correction straight. I did education at the uni., not English. Hence, I'm still learning...

Modified

Oh, I think you're referring to some minor issues with tense... Well, proofreading is not always easy unless you're getting paid for it, you know...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Is The Starting Salary Of A Doctor In Nigeria. / Jumia Salary / Workforce Group Assessment Gbagada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.