Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,561 members, 7,820,026 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide (14754 Views)

Nigerians Now Going For Suicide, Slavery Missions Abroad Due To Hardships - PDP / Many Nigerians In Our South Africa Are Drug Traffickers- Naledi Pandor, Minister / 15-Year-Old Boy: 'I Made 500 Bombs Used For Suicide Missions By Boko Haram' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by ogododo: 8:26am On Nov 20, 2023
REPORTS of suicide are featuring with dreadful frequency across the country, adding to the prevailing general misery. Many Nigerians were heartbroken when the Edo State Police Command confirmed the death by suicide of Toluige Olokoobi, who became a social media sensation via a video where her son whom she was reprimanding, asked her repeatedly to ‘calm down.’ But there are many more reported cases of self-murder and attempts nationwide. This trend presents another challenge for the government, social organisations, and families.

Olokoobi reportedly took her own life in the presence of her one-year-old child, leaving behind three kids. Neighbours said she had recently been battling depression.

A Nigerian Army captain, Alphonsus Bazza, also reportedly hanged himself in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, leaving behind a wife and a child. In Abuja, 29-year-old Terver Orfega committed suicide by swallowing a lethal chemical early this month, reportedly after a business failure and inability to repay a loan.

Last month, the Bauchi State Police Command reported that Betwom Bitrus, 17, of Bombar, Bogoro Local Government Area, hanged himself after telling his family he was heading for a stream to take a bath.

Two cases gained media traction in July: a 72-year-old resident of Ede, Osun State, Kareem Aderemi, shot himself with a twin-barrelled gun; and in Anambra State, a young pastor, Prosper Igboke, allegedly jumped to his death from a multi-storey building in Nnewi, ostensibly after a failed romance. Security personnel said Aderemi had been struggling with partial blindness, and depression.

A video post went viral in August showing passers-by physically restraining a Lagos socialite, Fareeda Abdulkabir, from jumping off the Third Mainland Bridge into the lagoon, while, amid tears, she poured out her marital frustration.

In 2022, 79 persons died by suicide in Nigeria, according to The PUNCH. Lagos ranked highest with 12 cases; followed by Oyo 10; Kano, four; while Anambra, Edo, Delta, Ogun, and Rivers recorded three each. Experts say some cases are never reported.

Frustration in the land, say experts, is affecting people’s mental health. With joblessness, poverty, hunger, insecurity, and uncaring governance prevalent, many Nigerians slip easily into depression, and some contemplate suicide.

It’s wrong labelling all Nigerians corrupt – ICPC chair
Suicide, says the World Health Organisation, is the fourth leading cause of death among 15-29-year-olds globally. Over 703,000 persons commit suicide worldwide each year, with the most common means being ingestion of pesticides, hanging, and firearms. The frequency of suicides by its ingestion once prompted the Nigerian government to briefly curtail the sale of the Sniper pesticide brand.

Social workers also say the breakdown of traditional family values, drug abuse, cultism, mental ill-health, and bullying, can lead to depression and eventually, suicide.

Undiagnosed mental health is also potent, says the Association of Psychiatrists in Nigeria, which disclosed that over 60 million Nigerians live with various degrees of mental ill-health. It further lamented that there were only about 200 mental health experts available in the country.

Experts say suicidal feelings can affect anyone of any age, gender, or background, and at any time. Feelings of hopelessness, worthlessness, and frustration can graduate to depression. Parents, families, friends, and communities are therefore advised to pay attention to all persons around them.

But the WHO insists that suicides are preventable, and recommends limiting access to their means – pesticides, firearms, and poisons; identify and monitor persons exhibiting suicidal behaviour, and interact with the media for responsible reporting.

CSOs want the government to decriminalise attempted suicide; the suicidal need care, not punishment.

Government and all levels, communities, families, and faith-based organisations should collaborate to bring down suicide levels.

https://punchng.com/too-many-nigerians-are-opting-for-suicide/

3 Likes

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by Tntsi: 8:28am On Nov 20, 2023
I said this months ago that suicide will take another dimension in our nation.
These are consequences of a cursed and desecrated leadership on the land. The consequences are still warming up.

Tinubu and his criminal gang are a mega curse in the land of Nigeria. Nothing good can come from them . It will be from one media bullshit to another. Nothing good will come from a cursed gang.

Tinubu reminds me of abacha just that he is a premium promax of abacha as abacha did not go this far in desecrating the land before God took him away.

What goes up must come down.

131 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by 1TrippleCee: 8:29am On Nov 20, 2023
True

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by richeeyo(m): 8:33am On Nov 20, 2023
Seriously we should just be grateful for everything
I know a guy back in uni, very nice guy
Drives nothing but brand new cars to school not Tokunbo
Loyal to his friends (us)
Today cant even load data
Always depressed
We always there for him

117 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by ican2020: 8:35am On Nov 20, 2023
Suicide is not the solution and will never be the solution though losers always find a way to run away from their challenges instead of confronting them

Nigeria as a country has never helped anyone except those who are fortunate to occupy sensitive positions and using that opportunity to loot the nation

Some persons who are handicapped ended up becoming very successful because they choose to confront the challenges headlong and they are victorious already

Wake up from that bed, put on garment of imagination and do something for yourself cause nobody will do it for you

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by Freshtruth(m): 8:37am On Nov 20, 2023
Some people are no longer scared of death and their creator again they see death as excursion or site seeing. This life done change sha

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by Freshtruth(m): 8:39am On Nov 20, 2023
richeeyo:
Seriously we should just be grateful for everything
I know a guy back in uni, very nice guy
Drives nothing but brand new cars to school not Tokunbo
Loyal to his friends (us)
Today cant even load data
Always depressed
We always there for him

Must blow one lie just to comment sometimes think before u position the lies bro

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by money121(m): 8:39am On Nov 20, 2023
Suicide is evil

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by Freshtruth(m): 8:45am On Nov 20, 2023
ican2020:
That’s is not the solution and
Spaghetti 750
Normal medium bread 750
Garri basket 1900
Rice one cup. 250
Yam 1300
Oral B 600
Tomatoes 4 seed(small) 200
Asheawo quarter 1500

Oga tell me how person wet he monthly salary na 30k or worst still 20k wan take survive.
The youths of this Nation are cowards if una done do one popular politician strong thing the rest go sit up

101 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by iwaeda: 8:46am On Nov 20, 2023
ogododo:
REPORTS of suicide are featuring with dreadful frequency across the country, adding to the prevailing general misery. Many Nigerians were heartbroken when the Edo State Police Command confirmed the death by suicide of Toluige Olokoobi, who became a social media sensation via a video where her son whom she was reprimanding, asked her repeatedly to ‘calm down.’ But there are many more reported cases of self-murder and attempts nationwide. This trend presents another challenge for the government, social organisations, and families.

Olokoobi reportedly took her own life in the presence of her one-year-old child, leaving behind three kids. Neighbours said she had recently been battling depression.

A Nigerian Army captain, Alphonsus Bazza, also reportedly hanged himself in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, leaving behind a wife and a child. In Abuja, 29-year-old Terver Orfega committed suicide by swallowing a lethal chemical early this month, reportedly after a business failure and inability to repay a loan.

Last month, the Bauchi State Police Command reported that Betwom Bitrus, 17, of Bombar, Bogoro Local Government Area, hanged himself after telling his family he was heading for a stream to take a bath.

Ibadan Family Where Dad, Mum, Two Children Are Vulcanisers | Punch
Two cases gained media traction in July: a 72-year-old resident of Ede, Osun State, Kareem Aderemi, shot himself with a twin-barrelled gun; and in Anambra State, a young pastor, Prosper Igboke, allegedly jumped to his death from a multi-storey building in Nnewi, ostensibly after a failed romance. Security personnel said Aderemi had been struggling with partial blindness, and depression.

A video post went viral in August showing passers-by physically restraining a Lagos socialite, Fareeda Abdulkabir, from jumping off the Third Mainland Bridge into the lagoon, while, amid tears, she poured out her marital frustration.

In 2022, 79 persons died by suicide in Nigeria, according to The PUNCH. Lagos ranked highest with 12 cases; followed by Oyo 10; Kano, four; while Anambra, Edo, Delta, Ogun, and Rivers recorded three each. Experts say some cases are never reported.

Frustration in the land, say experts, is affecting people’s mental health. With joblessness, poverty, hunger, insecurity, and uncaring governance prevalent, many Nigerians slip easily into depression, and some contemplate suicide.

It’s wrong labelling all Nigerians corrupt – ICPC chair
Suicide, says the World Health Organisation, is the fourth leading cause of death among 15-29-year-olds globally. Over 703,000 persons commit suicide worldwide each year, with the most common means being ingestion of pesticides, hanging, and firearms. The frequency of suicides by its ingestion once prompted the Nigerian government to briefly curtail the sale of the Sniper pesticide brand.

Social workers also say the breakdown of traditional family values, drug abuse, cultism, mental ill-health, and bullying, can lead to depression and eventually, suicide.

Undiagnosed mental health is also potent, says the Association of Psychiatrists in Nigeria, which disclosed that over 60 million Nigerians live with various degrees of mental ill-health. It further lamented that there were only about 200 mental health experts available in the country.

Experts say suicidal feelings can affect anyone of any age, gender, or background, and at any time. Feelings of hopelessness, worthlessness, and frustration can graduate to depression. Parents, families, friends, and communities are therefore advised to pay attention to all persons around them.

But the WHO insists that suicides are preventable, and recommends limiting access to their means – pesticides, firearms, and poisons; identify and monitor persons exhibiting suicidal behaviour, and interact with the media for responsible reporting.

CSOs want the government to decriminalise attempted suicide; the suicidal need care, not punishment.

Government and all levels, communities, families, and faith-based organisations should collaborate to bring down suicide levels.

https://punchng.com/too-many-nigerians-are-opting-for-suicide/
The coming of APC brought this evil trend. Nigerians were the happiest people before. Now saddened and depressed nation. grin grin grin grin

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by AntiMen: 9:04am On Nov 20, 2023
Depression everywhere ooooo...
So many people are on the verge.
So many people are suffering and smiling....
If not for social media, so many would have thrown in the towel a long time ago..

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by ZKOSOSO(m): 9:04am On Nov 20, 2023
Easy access to the great beyond....but there is eternity to face. God and Satan have their full days with your Souls after death.

Suicide is not the OPTION.....trust God or Japa.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by Blizzy9ja: 9:04am On Nov 20, 2023
Its a Tinubu effect...

A man that cannot provide for his family is worst than an infidel

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by Dontcry09985: 9:04am On Nov 20, 2023
ican2020:
Suicide is not the solution and will never be the solution though losers always find a way to run away from their challenges instead of confronting them

Nigeria as a country has never helped anyone except those who are fortunate to occupy sensitive positions and using that opportunity to loot the nation

Some persons who are handicapped ended up becoming very successful because they choose to confront the challenges headlong and they are victorious already

Wake up from that bed, put on garment of imagination and do something for yourself cause nobody will do it for you

Mohammed SAW the ganja smoker

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by BigBlackPreek(m): 9:04am On Nov 20, 2023
The matter tire me self o

2 Likes

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by Fr33born(m): 9:04am On Nov 20, 2023
Well, I hope those that are teaching Peter Obi lessons are not among those committing suicide. Peter Obi must learn his lesson.

BTW, APC/Tinubu till eternity.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by Achor1111(m): 9:05am On Nov 20, 2023
Jagaban is doing well

4 Likes

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by UnnervingNaija: 9:05am On Nov 20, 2023
Do you blame them? Nigeria has been rendered mostly unlivable so everyone is looking for a way to Japa and getting visa is neither easy nor cheap. So if they don't get to Japa by visa, some decide to "japa" by rope. All na Japa.
But it's not funny at all

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by AutoChick4U(f): 9:05am On Nov 20, 2023
The suffering is too much abeg

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by lofija8133: 9:05am On Nov 20, 2023
grin
Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by Itzteewhy(m): 9:06am On Nov 20, 2023
Sometimes I wonder if we are afflicted with a curse or something?..

Where is our voice?? Instead of us to stand up against these politicians that have subjected us into these status quo... But no we won't...

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by obembet(f): 9:06am On Nov 20, 2023
Fact

1 Like

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by Hanndye: 9:06am On Nov 20, 2023
Don't you blame the APC because they are doing well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by ImoleNaija: 9:06am On Nov 20, 2023
They are the brave.

The rest of us (except few who are well-to-do) are just cowards hanging on hopeless hope.

If not for the horrible smell of sniper, more for don kpai.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by ariesbull: 9:06am On Nov 20, 2023
We must vote APC to deal with the Igbo and obidients

We voted Buhari to show the Igbo that we are sophisticated

This is the beginning....

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by Angelfrost(m): 9:06am On Nov 20, 2023
Let them go ahead...!

It's the Law of the Jungle... Survival of the Fittest.

Survive or Die!

Subsidy era is over. So, only the financially strongest will remain as the years go by.

It's truly going to get very ugly.

4 Likes

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by Feolory: 9:06am On Nov 20, 2023
Freshtruth:
Some people are no longer scared of death and their creator again they see death as excursion or site seeing. This life done change sha

Suicide is not an option. It's straight ticket to hell

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Too Many Nigerians Are Opting For Suicide by Xwizard: 9:06am On Nov 20, 2023
One the controlling tools politicians use to control is hunger, don’t say much it’s a deliberate attempts to keep us on toes and shut the Bleep off. Now I found a way to use that same tools against them. Cos I wonder why border is still closed to us while they monopolize the importations themselves, using forex to scams themselves not us. Lol tho that’s a win win for us tho.
I have my plans ready, very soon I will show you all, am getting my facts figures and capital ready for now.
ONE SINGLE WAY to win these people is to become a farmer. Lol it’s funny right ? You will all learn the hard way, if you can’t decode why I said we all complaining now, needs to become a farmer of any thing you can plant.

60 millions Nigerians complaining now, should all shut their TVs off for now, get at least a half plot of land, plant cassava, or yam, then pepper and corn on the same parcel, then come back and continue your criticism or grievances to whatever party. Do these monthly if possible, it won’t even take 3days to do it alone without assistance.

Government can’t beat us if we are feeding well without stress, let me give you another bonus, we can also export and make money in dollars, you don’t understand, whatever you plant on that half of land, in just 3days, can buy you a car, if you paid in dollars, with politicians been stupid with the economy, e go just be our gain.

I just decode why they will never hear our pleas, let me give you an hint, you see anytime they swearing them in, there is another room they take these politicians in, where they cut off their both ears, they will never hear our plea.
As I was saying, find a way to feed yourself and your family, politicians can stop what you plant from germinating, the economy is not needed. Just a land, what to plant and man power. This is not an information to be kept to my self, Agricultural produces alone can make us the biggest economy in the world, with our land mass, while they (the politicians) keep siphoning the little stipends they see from oil. You need government to extract crude, you don’t need them to plant.
Me myself I’ve not started, but I will come back and show you all result. Oooh! Let’s I forget, I can crash the prices of garri and rice, in just 24months both back to 10k per bag. Looool am not joking, in 3mins, i will explain it to you, and you will agree. Israel only plants on rocks, they don’t have lands to plant, but they have one of the biggest tomatoes and fruits. But here we dey use land do sambisa for here.

Anyway shall know you can’t fight these politicians, circle is so wide and filthy to join. You can’t beat them not even a revolution when half the country is hungry. Who wan shout.

We can even monopolize the farm produces to ourselves if we want, so for them to keep controlling us, means they need to crack down agriculture investment by investing in it themselves. What politicians can’t do to keep the poor on toes, I never see. Let make this people, let everyone start planting, start by getting your immediate families what to feed on, then from there move to your localities.

See I can’t explain it all, if you have money, btw 2-5m you can make agriculture your bussines model, stuffs and simple without stress but don’t go into live stock farming for now, for starters just base on cassava only.

9 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bukola Saraki Meets With Northern Senators Over Nigeria's Unity. Photos / President Buhari Participates At Reinvigorating Event In Addis Ababa (Pictures) / Hannatu Mohammed, ICPC Board Membership Is Line With ICPC Act 2000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.