Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,617 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders (23149 Views)

Wike, Tambuwal Lose Out As Akpabio Names Minority Leaders / Saraki Hosts Senate Minority Leaders To Closed-door Meeting (photos) / Wike, Makinde React To Gbajabiamila’s Alleged Attempt To Impose Minority Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by Addme: 4:39pm On Nov 21, 2023
There was an uproar in the Senate on Tuesday following the announcement of two minority leaders by Senate President Godswill Akpabio.

The seats of the Senate Minority Leader and Minority Whip became vacant after the Court of Appeal sacked the former occupants, Senator Simon Davou Mwadkwon (PDP, Plateau North) and Darlington Nwokocha (LP, Abia Central) respectively.

The courts nullified the election of Mwadkwon and ordered a rerun while Nwokocha was removed as Augustine Akobundu of the PDP was declared as the authentic winner of the 25 February election in the senatorial district.

The PDP senators had, last week, held an emergency crucial meeting on the replacement for the principal positions of Senate Minority Leader and Minority Whip. Senator Garba Maidoki (PDP, Bauchi), who briefed journalists after the closed-door meeting, had said the opposition lawmakers settled for the North Central geo-political zone to produce the Minority Leader.

During Tuesday’s plenary, Akpabio announced the duo of Abba Moro (PDP, Benue South) as minority leader and Osita Ngwu (PDP, Enugu West) as minority whip.

The Senate President said the new minority leaders had the majority support of their colleagues in the opposition.

He said 41 minority senators signed the document endorsing Moro as minority leader while 30 backed Ngwu for the minority whip seat. The announcement did not sit well with other parties in the minority caucus, especially the Labour Party.

Raising a point of order, Senator Okechukwu Ezea (LP, Enugu North), protested the absence of his party in the minority leadership, describing the arrangement as an injustice against other minority parties.

How can the PDP take three minority leadership seats? This is unfair, unjust, and unacceptable,” he said.

The Senate after that degenerated into a rowdy session with LP lawmakers rejecting their party’s exclusion in the minority leadership.

Amid the uproar, Senator Tony Nwoyi (LP, Anambra North) accused Akpabio of picking minority leaders for the opposition parties.
How can you be choosing minority leaders for us? Are we your slaves?” Nwoyi tackled the Senate President. Lawmakers from the ruling party made frantic efforts to pacify their colleagues from LP, some of whom approached Akpabio for consultation.

After about 15 minutes of rowdy session, the Senate President addressed the opposition lawmakers and dismissed the claim of his interfering in the affairs of the opposition.

Akpabio said he only announced the names forwarded to him by the opposition caucus and that it would be unfair not to respect the voice of the majority.

He, therefore, urged the opposition caucus to always put their house in order before forwarding any name to him.

He said, “All we need to produce a leader is a simple majority. What’s the reason for not agreeing with the position of the majority?

“41 minority senators signed for Abah Moro and 30 signed for Osita Ngwu. They have the majority. It will be unfair for me not to announce them after getting a majority of support. My job is not to work with individual opinion but with the majority of positions.

“Efforts by Senator Adamu Aliero (PDP, Kebbi) to convince Akpabio to stay action on the seat of the minority whip failed as the Senate President ruled him out of order.

Aliero explained that the opposition caucus resolved that Abba Moro should be the minority leader but was yet to decide on the position of the minority whip.

But Akpabio referred him to Senate Standing Rule 52(6), which says it shall be out of order for any senator to speak on any issue that has already been decided.

Akpabio, therefore, ruled Aliero out of order.

https://punchng.com/just-in-senators-tackle-akpabio-over-choice-of-senate-minority-leaders/

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by Thundafireseun: 4:40pm On Nov 21, 2023
This story no concern me at all

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by AmazingELixir: 4:45pm On Nov 21, 2023
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by SouthSouth1914: 4:45pm On Nov 21, 2023
Bunch of political touts feeding fat in a time when Nigeria is in dire financial distress!

31 Likes

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by AZUH: 4:45pm On Nov 21, 2023
Na dem
Sabi

2 Likes

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by Kennitrust(m): 4:46pm On Nov 21, 2023
I stopped reading anything politics in Nigeria from the day the supreme court affirm a known criminal as the president of Nigeria.

Nothing in this country borders me anymore. I have accepted my fate as a fortunate citizen rule by unfortunates looters and criminals.

If I open nl, I want to read social life and events not politics.

How wish my aspersions against that druggie can drup him down immediately.

26 Likes

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by 4tomandchi: 4:46pm On Nov 21, 2023
When the seat of the senate president was decided by way of dictatorship what else do you expect from the person that emerged through that process…

Nigeria’s future has never been this bleak.

APC: Give us our Country Back!!!

2 Likes

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by Manny21: 4:47pm On Nov 21, 2023
That one no concern me. If you like make portable be Senate President.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by yemmight(m): 4:47pm On Nov 21, 2023
Akpabio is just not competent as a Senate President.

18 Likes

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by bigdammyj: 4:47pm On Nov 21, 2023
Noted.
Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by Freelancerr(m): 4:47pm On Nov 21, 2023
I do data entry jobs.

Also edit videos for businesses
Send your job and let me handle it for you.
Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by ezechi24(m): 4:47pm On Nov 21, 2023
The uproar is not for the betterment and progress of Nigeria and Nigerians at large, rather it's for their own selfish and evil selves ...they should all go to hell for all I care....spits

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by Homologous: 4:48pm On Nov 21, 2023
Useless political jobber!
Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by LibertyRep: 4:48pm On Nov 21, 2023
Now they have the voice to fight for positions, even in their minority status.

Ask them to condemn the purchase of the #160m vehicle in the same assembly, they'll be quick to remind you that they are in the minority and their voice would be drowned.

Shior.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 4:49pm On Nov 21, 2023
This Akpabio would always play politics with everything,what do you expect from a man with corruption charges pending in Efcc as Senate President

2 Likes

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by casualobserver: 4:49pm On Nov 21, 2023
Nigerian opposition are useless. You won’t get your act together, when things go against you as they do for those who don’t prepare you blame the judiciary, you blame APC. Is it Not the minority caucus that gave Akpabio the names?

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by Owaincouncil: 4:49pm On Nov 21, 2023
Pdp cannot change. They still cheat their neighbor.
Out of three minority leadership, they couldn't give one to elupeee. That's unfair. That means they cannot still be trusted with power.

6 Likes

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by Angelfrost(m): 4:50pm On Nov 21, 2023
This is supposed to be a pressing issue to a nation's Parliament??!

SInce May 29, not one meaningful thing has come out of the National Assembly... What then are they earning fat salaries and allowances for??!

4 Likes

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by flexyrule(m): 4:50pm On Nov 21, 2023
Tire
Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by phemmie06(m): 4:50pm On Nov 21, 2023
All of una na same same
Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by Kcfresh2103(m): 4:50pm On Nov 21, 2023
grin of all the pressing issues in this nation?
Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by money121(m): 4:50pm On Nov 21, 2023
Ok
Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by Charly68: 4:51pm On Nov 21, 2023
Our senators only cry foul over positions and nothing more. Very funny loquacious people

1 Like

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by sematec(m): 4:52pm On Nov 21, 2023
f
Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by crossfm: 4:53pm On Nov 21, 2023
Hehehe.

Always fighting for the wrong reasons,and for their selfish interest.

You will never see them fight for the masses they claim to be representing. Shameless politicians.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by FOOTSOLDIER2(f): 4:53pm On Nov 21, 2023
Today I bought a bag of pure water for #400, e be like all these agbado Yoruba APC Ronus defenders na bots

1 Like

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by femisplash: 4:54pm On Nov 21, 2023
Shameless bunch of LP senators, they'd rather fight for their selfish interests, none of them raised a voice against the SUV vehicles. Anyways, it is an affair between PDP and PDP lite.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by honestivo(m): 4:56pm On Nov 21, 2023
No arm of government is functioning normally in Nigeria
Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by Alexiiydon: 4:56pm On Nov 21, 2023
Space for sale
Re: Senators Tackle Akpabio Over Choice Of Senate Minority Leaders by Cmeo(m): 4:58pm On Nov 21, 2023
Hmm

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhar's Government Has Failed Nigerians - Northern Elders / Y M Dodo: Buhari Decorates Aide-De-Campe As He Attains The Rank Of Colonel / What Are Economic Problems Facing Nigeria And Possible Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.