Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,895 members, 7,814,025 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings (17507 Views)

Court Orders Rivers Assembly To Continue Sitting / Rivers Assembly: Faction Elects Ehie Edison, Fubara Congratulates New 'Speaker' / VAT Collection: Appeal Court Orders Rivers, Lagos To Maintain Status Quo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by Notjustzaki(m): 5:28pm On Nov 21, 2023
A Federal High Court, sitting in Port Harcourt, has issued an order directing the two factions in the Rivers State House of Assembly to maintain status quo ante bellum and suspend further deliberations until the matter before it is dispensed with.

A factional Speaker of the House, Rt. Hon. Edison Ehie, had in a suit No: FHC/PH/CS/240/2023, approached the Court presided over by Hon. Justice Phoebe Ayua, praying the court to stop Rt. Hon. Martins Amaewhule and the other lawmakers from presiding over the activities of the legislative arm of the state government.

The Notice was filed together with the main suit by Ehie, as the new Speaker of the State House of Assembly and the House of Assembly.

The plaintiffs in the suit are Rivers State House of Assembly, as first plaintiff, and Rt. Hon. (Barr) Ehie Ogerenye Edison (Speaker, Rivers State House of Assembly) as second plaintiff.

The defendants are the factional Speaker of the House, Rt. Hon. Martins Chike Amaewhule, Rt. Hon. Dumle Maol (former Deputy Speaker, Rivers State House of Assembly), the Inspector-General of Police, Director, Department of State Security Services, Rivers State, and Commissioner of Police, Rivers State.

Ruling on the motion filed in the suit, Justice Ayua ordered that none of the parties on record should do anything about the matter since all the parties are expected to respect the court.

The order reads in part: “That an Order is made directing the Plaintiffs/applicants to put the Respondents on Notice forthwith.
“That an Oder is however, made, directing that all parties on record respect the Court and should not take any step concerning the subject matter, since the matter is already before this Court – Sub judice – pending the hearing and determination of the Motion on Notice.”

In the suit, the factional Speaker Ehie and the House of Assembly itself, was seeking, amongst others, a declaration that the former speaker and his former deputy, having been removed and suspended from the House, are not entitled to participate, disturb, interfere or obstruct the performance of the legislative proceedings of the House and the legislative duties of the new speaker in accordance with the provisions of Sections 90 to 104 of the 1999 Constitution of Nigeria.

They also sought for an order restraining the former two principal officers of the House from interfering or participating in the functions of the House of Assembly.
After entering the order, the court fixed for hearing the motion on notice on the November 27, 2023.

It will be recalled that following some disagreement arising from the attempt by a factional leadership of the House to impeach the State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, the Rivers State House of Assembly has been facing some leadership crisis leading to the removal of the former speaker and the election of Edison as the new speaker.

https://leadership.ng/just-in-court-orders-warring-rivers-assembly-factions-to-suspend-sittings/#:~:text=A%20Federal%20High%20Court%2C%20sitting,before%20it%20is%20dispensed%20with.

3 Likes

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by Politicstoday: 5:33pm On Nov 21, 2023
Good ruling here

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by Odin13: 5:34pm On Nov 21, 2023
Fubara 1000

Wike 10.

Game on...

43 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by CilicMarin: 5:36pm On Nov 21, 2023
Court can't stop a House of Assembly from performing its constitutional duties...The court is overreaching itself..

I expect the authentic speaker and honourable members to ignore this useless order and continue to perform its duty to the good people of Rivers State ...

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by CilicMarin: 5:37pm On Nov 21, 2023
[s]
Odin13:
Fubara 1000

Wike 10.

Game on...
[/s]

One arm of govt cannot stop the other from performing its duty..

You are always on the losing side... grin

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by Khallicopyro: 5:39pm On Nov 21, 2023
Sim here is your chance. Start immediate renovation works at the HOA complex. Remove the roof, tip sand at the gate

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by slimfit1(m): 5:39pm On Nov 21, 2023
Two fighting Amala two shagay. All our enemies will fight each other. They can use the court ,police, army even navy any poor that supports them, na your own wahala.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by Odin13: 5:42pm On Nov 21, 2023
CilicMarin:
[s][/s]

One arm of govt cannot the other from performing its duty..

You are always on the losing side... grin

You know say na when dem play una apc .. or una men.. una go quick remember law grin

But if una Dey ball .. law na football..

As it is now ..

Make dem go seat.. I double dare them.. Fubara go use them count scores ..

Law no Dey blind again

Infact for Nigeria e Dey see well well

Her matchet Dey cut based on who pay well and better grin

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by vanitybutiwanti: 6:18pm On Nov 21, 2023
Odin13:

You know say na when dem play una apc .. or una men.. una go quick remember law grin

But if una Dey ball .. law na football..

As it is now ..

Make dem go seat.. I double dare them.. Fubara go use them count scores ..

Law no Dey blind again

Infact for Nigeria e Dey see well well

Her matchet Dey cut based on who pay well and better grin
I don't want a crisis but they will sit just as they sat today and nothing will happen

3 Likes

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by LEGALSER: 6:28pm On Nov 21, 2023
vanitybutiwanti:
I don't want a crisis but they will sit just as they sat today and nothing will happen

You just carry big head with no sense. Nothing will happen, nothing will happen. They here dey deceive yourself, e go shock you very soon. If Martins like make him sit with 50 members, all that na waste of time. No go find another work to do cheesy grin as God no gree una kill am few days ago, nothing go happen to am. SIM & EDISON are here to do things the right way,you and your Martins can go to hell.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by Klington: 6:54pm On Nov 21, 2023
shocked
Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by atobs4real(m): 6:55pm On Nov 21, 2023
I knew it will happen.
The scuttle is yet to be settled.
Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by WhisperedNoise: 6:55pm On Nov 21, 2023
Courts in Nigeria are a joke.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by Authoreety: 6:55pm On Nov 21, 2023
Which yeye court
Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by atobs4real(m): 6:55pm On Nov 21, 2023
I knew it will happen.
The scuttle is yet to be settled.
You guys should better use wisdom, knowledge and understanding in dealing with your......
Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by Risingblue008(m): 7:00pm On Nov 21, 2023
All these our judiciary got no regards anymore
So
Politicians don't take Dem too serious like dt,
Buhari still try to let us see who tinibu be
But some still dey daft to understand bubu body language
I wan rule
I wan rule,
Oya dey rule na,
If the sky wants to fall
E go fall for everybody head

1 Like

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by Lordburna2(m): 7:01pm On Nov 21, 2023
Wike neva hear am. Mk him hear first.😂
Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by jamesversion: 7:01pm On Nov 21, 2023
Sim dey use Edison dey fight. Coward. grin
Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by englishmart(m): 7:01pm On Nov 21, 2023
Nigerian Court can order you to stop walking.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by InvertedHammer: 7:02pm On Nov 21, 2023
/
They fail to realize that there is a new sheriff in town. Wike ran Amechi out of PH. Fubara will run him out too. It is a predictable cycle.

/

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by Fiscus105(m): 7:03pm On Nov 21, 2023
CilicMarin:
Court can't stop a House of Assembly from performing its constitutional duties...The court is overreaction itself..

I expect the authentic speaker and honourable members to ignore this useless order and continue to perform its duty to the good people of Rivers State ...

When two groups are fighting , where would you take to? I guess they would take law into their own hands.

1 Like

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by Craniumz(m): 7:03pm On Nov 21, 2023
Issoright
Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by Tjra: 7:05pm On Nov 21, 2023
InvertedHammer:
/
They fail to realize that there is a new sheriff in town. Wike ran Amechi out of PH. Fubara will run him out too. It is a predictable cycle.

/
The latest old sheriff no be small boy for this game. Game on.

2 Likes

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by smokinloud(m): 7:06pm On Nov 21, 2023

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by Chopkiss: 7:06pm On Nov 21, 2023
LOL

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by ecolime(m): 7:10pm On Nov 21, 2023
kehnderson:
Guys , should these affiliate marketing tutors be trusted.
They've endlessly and relentlessly bombarded my phone with ads on how to earn 500k weekly by becoming an affiliate marketer.

What puzzles me is that they claim to worth tens of millions yet they relentlessly push their 50k course to audiences.

Are they genuine? Should one consider them. I'm interested but I don't have money to spare as they could just dump an incomprehensible course on me after making payments.

What are your experience with them ?
Hehehehe cheesy

Be wise Nwanne

No let them use your money buy Christmas clothes and chicken
🐔🐔

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by Redhot111(m): 7:10pm On Nov 21, 2023
Khallicopyro:
Sim here is your chance. Start immediate renovation works at the HOA complex. Remove the roof, tip sand at the gate

Obaseki tactics

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Orders Rivers Assembly Factions To Suspend Sittings by ATEAMS: 7:10pm On Nov 21, 2023
Oyyana

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fashola At The Commissioning Of Power Stations In Zamfara State / 2019 Poll: Obasanjo’s Camp In Dilemma Over Choice Of Party / 5 Misconception About The Petroleum Industry Act, 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.