Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,078 members, 7,818,230 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis (8003 Views)

Guidelines To Journalists: Saraki Disowns National Assembly Clerk, Management / EFCC Interrogates Mohammed Sani-Omolori National Assembly Clerk, Seizes Passport / Akwa Ibom Assembly Clerk, Cashier Arrested (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by amadiwati(m): 9:26am On Nov 24, 2023
My point exactly.
Pierocash:
dey play.

He is quoting the same law they have never obeyed or followed. Once it doesn't go their way, they start quoting law.

You are quoting law with a Governor, even you that is the speaker can be removed by the governor without any consequence not to talk of ordinary clerk

1 Like

Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by Ayed44: 9:29am On Nov 24, 2023
sirpharrell:

Well, that is the law. Almost everyone has sympathy for the Governor but our personal emotions count for nothing. I will not be surprised if the state government comes out tomorrow to deny the purported sacking of the Clerk. You remember how it was reported that the Governor had sacked the Chief Judge and the LGA Chairmen which was widely celebrated even here. But the government later came out to disown the statement, apparently after it became clear that the Governor has no such powers. I see this following the same pattern.

Most times that a Governor acts with impunity, he does so with the support of the House of Assembly or federal backing. Without any of these forces behind him, it will be difficult for a Governor to be acting outside of his powers.
The clerk is not sacked, he was only redeployed. Don't forget, the clerk is a civil servant.

Some people said here few months ago that the president had no power to remove the CBN governor. Tinubu removed Emefiele and nothing happened.

3 Likes

Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by sirpharrell(m): 9:50am On Nov 24, 2023
Ayed44:
The clerk is not sacked, he was only redeployed. Don't forget, the clerk is a civil servant.

Some people said here few months ago that the president had no power to remove the CBN governor. Tinubu removed Emefiele and nothing happened.

Again, you are missing the point. I never said a governor or president do not act outside of their powers. I said most times that a governor acts with impunity, he does so with the backing of the House of Assembly or he has federal backing. When he doesn't have any of these forces behind him, it becomes difficult for him to act outside of his powers. I hate repeating myself on a matter that should be clear enough. Do you think that the Governor doesn't wish to sack the speaker, chief judge and the LGA chairmen. Of course he does. But can he, in the present circumstances? The example you cited, and several other examples of a president or governor acting with impunity, is clearly off mark compared with the situation surrounding Governor Fubara.

3 Likes

Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by AcademicWriter: 10:11am On Nov 24, 2023
He must have started taking tutorials from this handsome man..
Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by honestivo(m): 10:13am On Nov 24, 2023
But same law empower the gov to deploy any servant not minding his/ her status or office
Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by icedbreez(m): 10:17am On Nov 24, 2023
sirpharrell:

The fallout between Akpabio and Udom still remains the quickest. Within the first week of Udom's government, the romance had ended.

You don't see similarities between Akpabio and Wike?

Just see how the former is running the Senate like a monarch.
Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by icedbreez(m): 10:19am On Nov 24, 2023
sirpharrell:

Again, you are missing the point. I never said a governor or president do not act outside of their powers. I said most times that a governor acts with impunity, he does so with the backing of the House of Assembly or he has federal backing. When he doesn't have any of these forces behind him, it becomes difficult for him to act outside of his powers. I hate repeating myself on a matter that should be clear enough. Do you think that the Governor doesn't wish to sack the speaker, chief judge and the LGA chairmen. Of course he does. But can he, in the present circumstances? The example you cited, and several other examples of a president or governor acting with impunity, is clearly off mark compared with the situation surrounding Governor Fubara.

The Clerk and all legislative staff are first civil servants...
It will be in their best interest to obey that circular and report in their place of new assignment or they stand the risk of losing their civil servant status.
2 queries and they are sacked and gone.
Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by sirpharrell(m): 10:45am On Nov 24, 2023
icedbreez:

The Clerk and all legislative staff are first civil servants...
It will be in their best interest to obey that circular and report in their place of new assignment or they stand the risk of losing their civil servant status.
2 queries and they are sacked and gone.

I see two things in your comments. Emotions and ignorance. I am sure you are not aware that the Assembly has their own service commission. The head of the civil service can not transfer, query or sack the clerk. The clerk is not answerable to him but to the Head of the Assembly Service Commission. In the same vein, we also have the Judicial Service Commission. There are laws already enacted for these things. I repeat, a governor can only breach those laws if he has the backing of the assembly or federal powers. You don't seem to understand that part.

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by Singhabele: 11:00am On Nov 24, 2023
brownemmanuel43:

What do u mean by igboijaw

I though I was the inly one that notice the misnomer. I see folks who have identity crisis. Trying as much as possible to convince people they are ibos.
U won't see thus from another tribe in nigeria. Just one tribe always trying to convince others.

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by Pierocash(m): 11:02am On Nov 24, 2023
sirpharrell:

Well, that is the law. Almost everyone has sympathy for the Governor but our personal emotions count for nothing. I will not be surprised if the state government comes out tomorrow to deny the purported sacking of the Clerk. You remember how it was reported that the Governor had sacked the Chief Judge and the LGA Chairmen which was widely celebrated even here. But the government later came out to disown the statement, apparently after it became clear that the Governor has no such powers. I see this following the same pattern.

Most times that a Governor acts with impunity, he does so with the support of the House of Assembly or federal backing. Without any of these forces behind him, it will be difficult for a Governor to be acting outside of his powers.
Many governors acted without federal backing and got away with it.

Behind every rumour, there is an element of truth in it. The earlier rumour of CJ been sacked maybe true, but it wasn't made public abnitio before everyone shielth their sword, but it may be a move that was about to be taken. Which can still happen if they refuse to realign with the governor.

A governor is a very powerful being as far as Nigeria is concerned. I laugh when I hear people boasting of how Wike will remove Fubara. The only way that can happen is if the supreme court remove him in this ongoing electoral case going on. Anything that makes him scale through that, one millions Nyesom Wike will be torn into pieces of he misbehaves
Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by tesppidd: 11:33am On Nov 24, 2023
sirpharrell:

The fallout between Akpabio and Udom still remains the quickest. Within the first week of Udom's government, the romance had ended.
Are you sure about this?

If so, then it wasn't as serious and engaging as this...

No tear gassing somebody,
No burning buildings,
No police shootings.

I think Akpabio versus Udom was childplay compared with this.
Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by sirpharrell(m): 11:36am On Nov 24, 2023
Pierocash:
Many governors acted without federal backing and got away with it.

Behind every rumour, there is an element of truth in it. The earlier rumour of CJ been sacked maybe true, but it wasn't made public abnitio before everyone shielth their sword, but it may be a move that was about to be taken. Which can still happen if they refuse to realign with the governor.

A governor is a very powerful being as far as Nigeria is concerned. I laugh when I hear people boasting of how Wike will remove Fubara. The only way that can happen is if the supreme court remove him in this ongoing electoral case going on. Anything that makes him scale through that, one millions Nyesom Wike will be torn into pieces of he misbehaves

Give me one example of a governor that didn't have federal backing or the support of the house of assembly who acted with impunity and got away with it. Just one example.

A governor is very powerful but there are instruments that make a governor so powerful. If he doesn't have them, he is bound to act according to his enshrined powers. That, unfortunately, is the situation with Governor Fubara.

The reality on ground is that Wike has all the machinery to impeach the governor but it will be difficult for him to achieve that without the backing of the President. I am not sure that Tinubu will allow him to impeach the governor on the flimsy excuse of touching his structure, whatever he meant by that.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by sirpharrell(m): 11:45am On Nov 24, 2023
tesppidd:
Are you sure about this?

If so, then it wasn't as serious and engaging as this...

No tear gassing somebody,
No burning buildings,
No police shootings.

I think Akpabio versus Udom was childplay compared with this.

Akpabio and Udom fell out within the first week. There was no tear gassing or burning buildings because Akpabio didn't attempt to impeach Udom. He was taken by surprise so he just licked his wounds and later left the party for the APC. Another falling out that was very fast was between Orji Uzor Kalu and Theodore Orji. I saw Ododo kneeling down before Yahaya Bello and I was just laughing. Just a matter of time and history will repeat itself there in Kogi State.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by wealthyprince(m): 12:17pm On Nov 24, 2023
Disloyalty lead to betrayal. In any system Once a disloyal person is identified he can never be trusted because he makes the system unsafe.

If i find that my subjects are disloyal to me, it means am not safe, I will do all I can to reshuffle , where possible change them and ensure my loyalist stay ahead or on top. That is what politics is all about, stay loyal or get fired.
Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by Kam2021: 12:42pm On Nov 24, 2023
Simi should leave this fight Edison is pushing him to and start working..he seems rather interested in power..

1 Like

Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by Pierocash(m): 1:35pm On Nov 24, 2023
sirpharrell:

Give me one example of a governor that didn't have federal backing or the support of the house of assembly who acted with impunity and got away with it. Just one example.

A governor is very powerful but there are instruments that make a governor so powerful. If he doesn't have them, he is bound to act according to his enshrined powers. That, unfortunately, is the situation with Governor Fubara.

The reality on ground is that Wike has all the machinery to impeach the governor but it will be difficult for him to achieve that without the backing of the President. I am not sure that Tinubu will allow him to impeach the governor on the flimsy excuse of touching his structure, whatever he meant by that.
Obaseki declared the sit of 15 lawmakers vacant when they refuse to align. He dealt with Oshiomole and got away with it. Udom Emanuel dealt with Akpabio. I can go on. Ganduje etc.

The house has no choice than to align, if they refuse, the governor has all it takes to dismantle them. Shut down the assembly complex, which is the only constitutionally allowed place of sitting, followed by the government house. Fubara already have 5 lawmakers with him, those ones can be allowed sitting in government house, and from there , declare the sit of the other ones vacant and allow them go to Court while the case lingers. If the chief judge refuse to corporate, sack him and replace him

Don't mess with a Governor. Except Fubara mumu himself which I know he won't

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by sirpharrell(m): 2:38pm On Nov 24, 2023
Pierocash:
Obaseki declared the sit of 15 lawmakers vacant when they refuse to align. He dealt with Oshiomole and got away with it. Udom Emanuel dealt with Akpabio. I can go on. Ganduje etc.

The house has no choice than to align, if they refuse, the governor has all it takes to dismantle them. Shut down the assembly complex, which is the only constitutionally allowed place of sitting, followed by the government house. Fubara already have 5 lawmakers with him, those ones can be allowed sitting in government house, and from there , declare the sit of the other ones vacant and allow them go to Court while the case lingers. If the chief judge refuse to corporate, sack him and replace him

Don't mess with a Governor. Except Fubara mumu himself which I know he won't

Obaseki had federal support. It was no secret that he was pawn in the hands of the Buhari loyalists then who wanted Oshiomwhole reduced to size. You didn't mention what Udom did that was outside his powers, even though he had control of the state assembly too. You can deal with your godfather but I am talking about a governor acting outside the powers of a governor and getting away with it when such governor doesn't enjoy federal backing or the control of the state assembly. You have not given me any tangible example because there is none.

By the way, Fubara has 4 lawmakers (not 5) against 27 on the other side. He doesn't have the Chief Judge and Wike has the federal powers, security agencies and so on. Do you think the man doesn't know what to do to emasculate Wike? You think you know how to fight more than him? He who wears the shoe knows where it is pinching him. I see a lot of childish commentaries on this crisis which amount to mere wishful thinking. Governor Fubara is even brave to stand up and fight, you don't know what the man is facing. Without the intervention of the President, he would have gone.

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by 642akintoye: 2:48pm On Nov 24, 2023
Great... Let the game begin.Great... Let the game begin....
Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by Emmapub(m): 3:03pm On Nov 24, 2023
An Average Rivers man is power drunk... clam down and check it out.
Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by Melagros(m): 11:48pm On Nov 24, 2023
urbobo20:
I now beginning to like fubara . the governor is playing the game just as wike thought him
For sure
Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by Melagros(m): 11:52pm On Nov 24, 2023
Pierocash:
dey play.

He is quoting the same law they have never obeyed or followed. Once it doesn't go their way, they start quoting law.

You are quoting law with a Governor, even you that is the speaker can be removed by the governor without any consequence not to talk of ordinary clerk
My brother, Not that he can be removed, the speaker himself has already been removed, but unfortunately he didn't know

1 Like

Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by Melagros(m): 11:52pm On Nov 24, 2023
Pierocash:
dey play.

My brother, Not that he can be removed, the speaker himself has already been removed by the governor, but unfortunately he didn't know
Re: Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis by icedbreez(m): 8:17am On Nov 25, 2023
sirpharrell:

I see two things in your comments. Emotions and ignorance. I am sure you are not aware that the Assembly has their own service commission. The head of the civil service can not transfer, query or sack the clerk. The clerk is not answerable to him but to the Head of the Assembly Service Commission. In the same vein, we also have the Judicial Service Commission. There are laws already enacted for these things. I repeat, a governor can only breach those laws if he has the backing of the assembly or federal powers. You don't seem to understand that part.

Me, ignorance??
Lol funny guy.

To start with have been a legislative staff myself and understand how this works. Not this partisan tunnel vision of yours.

The Chairman of the Assembly service commission is a Government appointee and answerable to the governor. He can be relieved of his appointment anytime and the remnant of his four year tenure paid up or they simply ignore him and he goes to court. Whoever replaces him can do the governor's bidding by still removing your darling clerk to become a desk officer in the Assembly Service Commission.

Bottom line, a civil servant has no wiggle room fighting the government...he will be crushed from many angles.

A Governor can remove a Chief Judge and nothing will happen like what is playing out in Osun State and you are here talking of mere commission chairmen who are at the mercy of the governor.

Now let me tell you what ll happen to that Clerk, I was once a deputy clerk. His pay point has been moved to his new place of assignment so the first impact of this fight between two elephants that he an ant wants to get involved in is he ll not get his salary if he doesn't go and report at his new place. Then they will issue him query for not reporting and two query is followed by dismissal in the CSR.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Lauds Gov. Otti's Competence, Capacity As Abia Governor / Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students / Lagos Governor Flagbearer (Opinion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.