Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,630 members, 7,816,596 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? (17265 Views)

Okada Ban: Gokada Sacks Employees In Lagos / Lady Narrates How Okada Man Saved Her From Embarrassment In Lagos / Policeman In Police Uniform Doing Okada Business In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by StpidNLmods: 2:27pm On Nov 26, 2023
grin
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by ekorian: 2:28pm On Nov 26, 2023
Hmmm, the actual reason was that, there was an indigenous airline privately owned by Chief Igbinedion, named after his home town called Okada. When bike was introduced as a commercial transport medium, people started seeing it as a fast means like Okada plane.
So, the name stuck on the bike as a means to convey passengers quick.

Dilijingsly:
Whats the origin of the word okada?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by Krak(m): 2:29pm On Nov 26, 2023
GentuLion:

It's called "Going" in the North...

I got to know this when I went for my NYSC.

So the name Okada, is not general!

Many other parts of the core north also call it "Achaba"

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by Zxcvbnmghtr: 2:29pm On Nov 26, 2023
JASONjnr:
If you're asking Nigerians the origin of Okada, you should as well ask them the origin of many other indigenous words that we've been using over time.

Like why we call it Garri or Akara or classify Okada as machine.

What about the origin of origin. grin
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by dtrend(m): 2:32pm On Nov 26, 2023
grin grin grin[quote author=OgunleyeA1 post=127174455
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by femi4: 2:33pm On Nov 26, 2023
Dilijingsly:
It's from Benin, named after the popular okada airline by igbinedion
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by Deogratiasfx: 2:33pm On Nov 26, 2023
GentuLion:

'Going' same in Otukpo in Benue...till I came to the FCT I taught it was like that everywhere.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by chicfarmer: 2:33pm On Nov 26, 2023
Okada Air was I think the first private airline in Nigeria. It was launched by the Benin philanthropist Chief Gabriel Igbinedion, the Esama of Benin Kingdom.
He named the airline Okada Air after the headquarters of Ovia North East, Okada, which is his Local Government Area.
Using motorcycle for commercial transportation in Nigeria started in Benin city during the military era characterized by poverty and great hardship.
People therefore named those commercial motorcycles Okada as a reference to the air transport that was beyond the reach and dream of the common man. It was their own way of thumbing their noses at the rich and privileged class who cornered the people's resources to themselves; as if to say: "this here is our own Okada Air" and the name just stuck. Soon after that various cities adopted the same means of cheap transport and continued with that name OKADA.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by NaijaCover(m): 2:35pm On Nov 26, 2023
Man must find something and eat na

Okada And Motorcycle Na brother and sister
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by Lifestone(m): 2:36pm On Nov 26, 2023
HealthKelvin:
Many Nigerian word their origin from abroad but we have localized it perfectly for our own usage.
Examples: dash (from Portuguese), yash, okada, legedisbenz, Jones, mumu, Olosho, ashawo, etc…

Okada Airline the name of a commercial airline that debuted in Nigeria in the 90’s owned by former Edo state governor’s father; Gabriel Igbinedion.
The airline failed due to military interventions/restrictions.

Okada Airline
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by grandstar(m): 2:39pm On Nov 26, 2023
spinna:
Because the first time poverty made Nigerians start to consider ferrying others for fee with motorcycles was in Okada Edo/Benin area.. before then a motorbike was a lesser vehicle most had cars

Other Nigeria inventions from poverty include the satchet series..satchet water, satchet milo, detergent etc were unknown before..

At at 1997, there was no sachet toothpaste. This I am 99% sure about as a lecturer of mine spoke of someone who was selling toothpaste per paste on a toothbrush.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by musicwriter(m): 2:42pm On Nov 26, 2023
Dilijingsly:

Okada was formerly an airline renowned for speed and promptness. I guess the motorcyclists began to be also called Okada because of fast delivery.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by Magnoliaa(f): 2:46pm On Nov 26, 2023
zeuss:
In the early 1980's Okada was the pioneer location of commercial cyclist. Okada in the then Bendel and now Edo state.

I've always thought it was a Yoruba phrase lipsrsealed.

Wow. This is an humbling bit of information.
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by InvertedHammer: 2:47pm On Nov 26, 2023
/
All these small children sef!

Well our job as elders is to pass down history to the young ones.

Okada is named after Okada Air (a defunct airline owned by Chief Igbinedion from Okada Town in Edo State)

Why Okada? It was a way to glorify it just as many folks today say that they have "legedez Benz".

/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by Magnoliaa(f): 2:47pm On Nov 26, 2023
spinna:
Because the first time poverty made Nigerians start to consider ferrying others for fee with motorcycles was in Okada Edo/Benin area.. before then a motorbike was a lesser vehicle most had cars

Other Nigeria inventions from poverty include the satchet series..satchet water, satchet milo, detergent etc were unknown before...

The way you described this is hilarious. grin

So poverty is the bedrock of some inventions in Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by Exceed15: 2:48pm On Nov 26, 2023
I guess from OKADA Airline.
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by Magnoliaa(f): 2:50pm On Nov 26, 2023
triplo3:
Keke napep too

I think this one has do to with the NAPEP policy*. And keke is obviously a Yoruba word, but I don't know its etymology.
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by Kukutenla: 2:53pm On Nov 26, 2023
saasala:
Don't stress yourself

Here is the Wikipedia link to that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okada_(motorcycle_taxi)

Check the attached image for the excerpts from Wiki
Don't mind them
When we tell them to ask Google they think it's a joke

1 Like

Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by Morbeta11(m): 2:53pm On Nov 26, 2023
zeuss:
In the early 1980's Okada was the pioneer location of commercial cyclist. Okada in the then Bendel and now Edo state.

Not true....private commercial motorcycles came into being in 1988/89, and was first named Okada Air cos it was fastest means of transportation. Then Okada Airline was the reigning and most efficient commercial Airline in Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by airsaylongcome: 2:56pm On Nov 26, 2023
zeuss:

This is highly incorrect. They are called "Okada" after the first(?) private airline Okada Airways which at the time (80s) was the fastest and most prompt airline, ahead of Nigeria Airways

1 Like

Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by biafranrealson: 3:00pm On Nov 26, 2023
Most people on nairaland here were children and need to be told the origin of okada.
The only available quick and fast service airline then was okada Air owned by the igbenedion.
Due to the Lagos traffic (go slow), motorcycles were perfect escape from the go slow and one easily gets to his destination on time.
They now relate it to okada air movement.
Hence the name okada
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by airsaylongcome: 3:03pm On Nov 26, 2023
Morbeta11:

Not true....private commercial motorcycles came into being in 1988/89, and was first named Okada Air cos it was fastest means of transportation. Then Okada Airline was the reigning and most efficient commercial Airline in Nigeria.

They were already riding motorcycles (which they called "machine"wink for commercial purposes by 1986 in Ughelli. The switch to calling them Okada was after Okada Air had established itself as an on-time carrier

1 Like

Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by zeuss: 3:04pm On Nov 26, 2023
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by Munzy14(m): 3:06pm On Nov 26, 2023
OgunleyeA1:
Why do pizza come in circle, cut in triangle and served in a square box ?? ?
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Weird
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by erico2k2(m): 3:07pm On Nov 26, 2023
JASONjnr:
If you're asking Nigerians the origin of Okada, you should as well ask them the origin of many other indigenous words that we've been using over time.

Like why we call it Garri or Akara or classify Okada as machine.
You will be suprised 70% dnt know the meaning of Okada and its origin.
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by igwebuike01: 3:08pm On Nov 26, 2023
GentuLion:

Going in Abuja
Achaba in Kano
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by ValarDoharis: 3:08pm On Nov 26, 2023
It was from Igbenedion airline Okada air because it was fast compared to Nigeria airways then when you think of the time to prepare before takeoff
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by airsaylongcome: 3:10pm On Nov 26, 2023
zeuss:

U obviously don't know much.
The owner CEO of Okada group which the airline u mentioned is a part is igbinedion snr, governor lucky igbinedion's father.

Igbinedion comes from Okada and so the name of his airline is explaind.
Okada also has the record of Nigeria's first private university.

Lol! I don't know much? Are you kidding me? You call him "Lucky Igbinedion's father". We called him Gabriel Osawaru Igbinedion. When Lucky ran for Edo governor under NRC against Oyegun in 1992 and lost, we were there. When one of Esama's son shutdown the country to live broadcast his wedding nationwide on NTA late in the 80s, we were there. When Munday's kitchen was the primary catering contractor for Okada Airways, we were there. So no come dey tell me "U obviously don't know much"
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by Morbeta11(m): 3:15pm On Nov 26, 2023
airsaylongcome:

They were already riding motorcycles (which they called "machine"wink for commercial purposes by 1986 in Ughelli. The switch to calling them Okada was after Okada Air had established itself as an on-time carrier

We are saying same.....I was in JS3 then.
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by Hemeshemeheru(m): 3:17pm On Nov 26, 2023
Dilijingsly:

Okada is a Japanese word routed for motorcycle product " it's origin is routed in Japan in those days.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by bhella10: 3:17pm On Nov 26, 2023
Dilijingsly:
We called it "express" back then in Arewa.
In Edo it's "Mechin" grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pure, Applied, Industrial & Bio Chemists' Zone / Voice Of America Sacks 15 Hausa Employees In A Nigeria Bribery Scandal / COREN Practical Experience Report - SAMPLE COPY: Very Urgent!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.