Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,171 members, 7,815,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? (17262 Views)

Okada Ban: Gokada Sacks Employees In Lagos / Lady Narrates How Okada Man Saved Her From Embarrassment In Lagos / Policeman In Police Uniform Doing Okada Business In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by Tommydare(m): 5:43pm On Nov 26, 2023
And Okada na Japanese name ooo
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by bluefilm: 5:44pm On Nov 26, 2023
I think in the 90s, there was a very popular airline in Nigeria called Okada Air.

Since bikes tend to make journies faster for people just like flights due to their easy navigation to areas where cars cannot really reach or even in traffics, people then started thinking of bikes in terms of flying, hence the name Okada!
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by Donbunchis: 5:47pm On Nov 26, 2023
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Maybe it was the first japanese bike that stormed Naija..

Okada is the name of chief igbinedion' town, the Esama
Esama was a high chief, entrepreneur and a foremost industrialist. The owner of okada air.

Motorcycle transport business is called achaba in the north,we coined it okada in d south.to n fro.
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by SisterAnn(f): 6:28pm On Nov 26, 2023
zeuss:
In the early 1980's Okada was the pioneer location of commercial cyclist. Okada in the then Bendel and now Edo state.
See how you just wrote this as if it's the fact. Lol
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by Neddyogu(m): 7:05pm On Nov 26, 2023
Emu4life:
I have another question. What do you call the ACT of carrying another person on your bike??

Pillion ride
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by zeuss: 9:14pm On Nov 26, 2023
SisterAnn:
See how you just wrote this as if it's the fact. Lol
It is ......I was in Okada those days. What u read on wiki is just a blogger rewriting history.
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by Hemeshemeheru(m): 9:18pm On Nov 26, 2023
1Sharon:

I think this explanation makes the most sense.

Okada is a Japanese brand name it seems.

During the 90's, most tech product in Nigeria are made in Japan. This is where the Okada name originate from.

To be honest, you look beautiful in your PFL

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by osuofia2(m): 9:38pm On Nov 26, 2023
GentuLion:

It's called "Going" in the North...

I got to know this when I went for my NYSC.

So the name Okada, is not general!
In the North okada is called Achaba
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by SugarSpill(m): 9:57pm On Nov 26, 2023
saasala:
Don't stress yourself

Here is the Wikipedia link to that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okada_(motorcycle_taxi)

Check the attached image for the excerpts from Wiki

Mehn your answer is spot on. Every other response is far from the truth. It was Lagosians that named the bike transport biz okada because the biz started in Lagos in the first place and then, okada air was the reigning air line then.
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by osomegbe(m): 12:04am On Nov 27, 2023
Most answers are wrong.
It came from Okada air. At that time, okada air do fast movement by air from state to state. So, bike men using it to transport people coined the name from okay air to mean very fast movement to your destination. Unfortunately, okay air went moribund but the name remained with the bike.
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by SisterAnn(f): 7:03am On Nov 27, 2023
zeuss:

It is ......I was in Okada those days. What u read on wiki is just a blogger rewriting history.
Hahaha 😄

I didn't read anything on wiki, but I know same to be true. I was very much around.
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by kcbaba007: 1:07pm On Nov 27, 2023
As at the time motorcycles became commercially used, okada air was operative at the time, and it had fast service delivery, this was likened to the speed at which the motorcycles would take you to your destination skipping traffic jams and other hurdles on the road.... Because of this they were nicknamed okada.... As in okada air
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by kcbaba007: 1:09pm On Nov 27, 2023
osomegbe:
Most answers are wrong.
It came from Okada air. At that time, okada air do fast movement by air from state to state. So, bike men using it to transport people coined the name from okay air to mean very fast movement to your destination. Unfortunately, okay air went moribund but the name remained with the bike.

We dey the same ancient and modern generation
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by kcbaba007: 1:12pm On Nov 27, 2023
dewiseacre:
I can't believe all the manner of assumptions here. I'm just having a laugh.

The popular motorbike brand in the early 90s then in Lagos was Okada from Japan.
https://www.okada-corp.com/en/index.php
Vespa was just fading out at the time

I am 100% certain of this because our house had a mechanic village - it was a motorcycle village. And each day, some bikes ended up parked in our compounds overnight and as a little child who was fascinated by these machines, I'd sneak up in the evenings to go sit on the ones parked in our compound. Though I was in my latter days in primary school, I could string basic words together and one of them was the "Okada" boldly engraved on those motorcycles.

Take this to the bank!!

There was no motorcycle called okada
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by leavegoodbehind(m): 7:55pm On Nov 27, 2023
OKADA Rida are call OKADA because, in the past in this country, we use to have Nigeria Air Way plane, they were not as fast as jet, so when Igbenedion started the OKADA Air, it was very fast, so when in Benin , they stated the use of motorcycle as a means of transportation, and because it move fast and beat the traffic, they name it OKADA.
Re: Why Are Motorcyclists Called Okada Riders? by iukpe: 2:14am On Dec 02, 2023
Point of correction to everyone. Commercial bike riders were called OKADA because they were always ready to go anywhere at anytime just like the airline Okada Air at that time known for their departure and arrival in whatever condition.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pure, Applied, Industrial & Bio Chemists' Zone / COREN Practical Experience Report - SAMPLE COPY: Very Urgent! / Voice Of America Sacks 15 Hausa Employees In A Nigeria Bribery Scandal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.