Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,077 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! (1192 Views)

Young Boy With An Insane Math Skills Shocks Everyone (Video) / Teacher Shocks Students With Jaw-dropping Outfit! / Christian Student Who Refused To Use Expo , Shocks Exam Officials - See How (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by wunaESQ(m): 11:34am On Nov 25, 2023
WHAT IS THE BIGGEST CULTURE SHOCK YOU HAVE EVER WITNESSED ??
1. In the eastern part of Nigeria whr a woman loses her husband to death, she must drink from the water used to wash his corpse to prove that she has no hands in his death
2. In Benue, when man has guests in his house and they are sleeping over, he is expected to give one of his wives to the guest for the night.
3. In Yoruba land, if a man dies while committing adultery, his corpse will be thrown out through a window..
ADD URS!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by Semental1: 11:39am On Nov 25, 2023
Don't just post things without researching and confirming facts about the things.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by illicit(m): 12:06pm On Nov 25, 2023
In Yoruba land

U dont say a king died, u say he went upstairs...

It is often said that a new king will eat the heart of the previous king who went upstairs...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by Ivimmanuel: 12:15pm On Nov 25, 2023
It's very foolish to keep promoting falsehood. There's currently a lawsuit on this myth about a man given his wife to a guess is currently in court. You even said one of his wives does that mean every man in Benue is polygamous?

7 Likes

Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by JASONjnr(m): 12:42pm On Nov 25, 2023
Ivimmanuel:
It's very foolish to keep promoting falsehood. There's currently a lawsuit on this myth about a man given his wife to a guess is currently in court. You even said one of his wives does that mean every man in Benue is polygamous?

This was a practice back then.

But most people I asked, said they'll never try that shit. But their forefathers used to give out their wives or daughters to a visitor. Whether he's sleeping over or not.
Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by Ivimmanuel: 1:01pm On Nov 25, 2023
JASONjnr:

But most people I asked, said they'll never try that shit. But their forefathers used to give out their wives or daughters to a visitor. Whether he's sleeping over or not.
this is a myth, completely untrue. If any body's forefathers gave out their wives to a visitor it is not in Benue. My grand father was a king so I'm not oblivious of Tiv history. The Tor Tiv have come out to debunk this falsehood. I wonder why no one talks about this in Benue, it's time you guys get this and stop forcing cultures on people.

6 Likes

Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by Ruke1989: 2:11pm On Nov 25, 2023
wunaESQ:
1. In the eastern part of Nigeria whr a woman loses her husband to death, she must drink from the water used to wash his corpse to prove that she has no hands in his death
2. In Benue, when man has guests in his house and they are sleeping over, he is expected to give one of his wives to the guest for the night.
3. In Yoruba land, if a man dies while committing adultery, his corpse will be thrown out through a window..
ADD URS!!!
1) when a Yoruba king dies, the abobaku (kings servant) is buried alive together with the corpse of the dead king
2) when a new Yoruba king is to be coronated, the heart of the late king will be removed from his corpse and given to the new king to it
3) it is a taboo for the wife of a Yoruba king to touch the head of her husband. Young yorubas don't know this
4) Yoruba kings are buried with the head of 7 human beings. These people are killed by the palace cult called ogboni fraternity which originate from Yoruba land

7 Likes

Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by wunaESQ(m): 3:35pm On Nov 25, 2023
Ruke1989:

1) when a Yoruba king dies, the abobaku (kings servant) is buried alive together with the corpse of the dead king
2) when a new Yoruba king is to be coronated, the heart of the late king will be removed from his corpse and given to the new king to it
3) it is a taboo for the wife of a Yoruba king to touch the head of her husband. Young yorubas don't know this
4) Yoruba kings are buried with the head of 7 human beings. These people are killed by the palace cult called ogboni fraternity which originate from Yoruba land
Wow... Yes I have heard of d OGBONI wen I was in secondary school... We studied in in govt under pre colonial administration.. OGBONI headed by the OLUWO... 9c one

3 Likes

Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by wunaESQ(m): 3:43pm On Nov 25, 2023
Ruke1989:

Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by ednut1(m): 3:58pm On Nov 25, 2023
I served in Abia state i never saw this. A cousin also married an igbo man that died 2 years ago no body told her to drink corpse water. That some few villages or clans do something does not mean majority of igbos do it. The Benue story has been debunked. The yoruba one with the kind of window we have today plus story building how do you carry a corpse through the window 🙄

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by xtheunknown(m): 5:47pm On Nov 25, 2023
JASONjnr:

You know not what you say. Don't be a purveyor of lies
Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by 1Sharon(f): 7:01pm On Nov 25, 2023
ednut1:
I served in Abia state i never saw this. A cousin also married an igbo man that died 2 years ago no body told her to drink corpse water. That some few villages or clans do something does not mean majority of igbos do it. The Benue story has been debunked. The yoruba one with the kind of window we have today plus story building how do you carry a corpse through the window 🙄

Igbos and tiv people used to do it but they stopped.

There was even a topic on FP when igbos banned the practise, very recently
Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by Goodday90(m): 7:19pm On Nov 25, 2023
1Sharon:

so then all Yoruba men mine skulls because we have seen thousands of news of it happening all over the south west and all Hausas have killed for Allah because we have read about it happening over there

Stop talking nonsense,ask questions instead of disgracing your self please

8 Likes

Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by CandidAdmin(m): 7:27pm On Nov 25, 2023
Can't you guys talk without attacking and insulting each other?

Btw, OP some of this practices have been stopped.

I'll add mime- In yoruba land, you add tribal marks to your child. Don't know why tho.
Note: This practice has been stopped.

Funny enough, I created a thread like this but no one commented.

1 Like

Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by 1Sharon(f): 7:37pm On Nov 25, 2023
Goodday90:
so then all Yoruba men mine skulls because we have seen thousands of news of it happening all over the south west and all Hausas have killed for Allah because we have read about it happening over there

Where did I say all igbos?

If there was no evidence now, you'd have probably denied it like the Tiv people are doing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2023/05/rising-cases-of-harmful-widowhood-practices-in-igbo-communities/amp/
Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by Goodday90(m): 8:13pm On Nov 25, 2023
1Sharon:

Where did I say all igbos?

If there was no evidence now, you'd have probably denied it like the Tiv people are doing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2023/05/rising-cases-of-harmful-widowhood-practices-in-igbo-communities/amp/
Seems like you are not the sharpest tool in the shelf
So to you,Igbo land is just one community where everybody does the same thing

Abeg grow up

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by 1Sharon(f): 8:39pm On Nov 25, 2023
Goodday90:
Seems like you are not the sharpest tool in the shelf
So to you,Igbo land is just one community where everybody does the same thing

Abeg grow up

Again, where did say everybody does the thing?
Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by Starboytwo(m): 11:05pm On Nov 25, 2023
Mine is in India.

When I went to Punjabi, everybody dey sing. You might be washing plate in your kitchen or doing laundary, one person will just start singing like this and before you know, the whole street don join start dancing and singing.

China nko? Everyday na kungfu.

Small thing like this, fight don start. You wake up in the morning na kungfu. In the evening nko? Na Bruce Lee.

4 Likes

Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by Uyi168: 4:41am On Nov 26, 2023
wunaESQ:
ADD URS!!!
everything u write up there is pure rubbish..
Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by wunaESQ(m): 6:35am On Nov 26, 2023
Uyi168:
everything u write up there is pure rubbish..
Lol... Game recognize game.
Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by SisterAnn(f): 8:05am On Nov 26, 2023
1Sharon:

Except in few occasions where they suspect the woman is complicit in his death, and this is not a general culture from my own Alaigbo. You and the Op are just fishing for idiots.
Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by SisterAnn(f): 8:06am On Nov 26, 2023
wunaESQ:

Lol... Game recognize game.
May be you want to try your hands on blogging, but you already started failing before starting.
Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by SouthSouth1914: 8:21am On Nov 26, 2023
1. Most kings are buried in an upright position.

2. Kingdoms which originated from the Benin kingdom, when their kings dies, their heads are severed and sent back to Benin kingdom.
Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by Benwallt(m): 9:46am On Nov 26, 2023
Goodday90:

It doesn't mean that all igbos are terrorists and drug pushers
Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by Goodday90(m): 10:32am On Nov 26, 2023
Benwallt:

It doesn't mean that all igbos are terrorists and drug pushers
Drug pusher I can agree but terrorists is for Yoruba and Hausa Muslims
Ever see terrorists not Muslim?
Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by Benwallt(m): 10:38am On Nov 26, 2023
Goodday90:
Drug pusher I can agree but terrorists is for Yoruba and Hausa Muslims
Ever see terrorists not Muslim?

Act of terror has never been witnessed in southwest
Re: Culture Shocks In Nigeria!!! by wunaESQ(m): 11:22am On Nov 26, 2023
SisterAnn:
May be you want to try your hands on blogging, but you already started failing before starting.
Only a big failure sees others as failures... Piss off

(1) (Reply)

Deleted / You Need To See How Backward Our Secondary Education Is. So Bad. / Jamb Exam In Uk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.