Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Judiciary: FG Won’t Succumb To Blackmail – AGF - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judiciary: FG Won’t Succumb To Blackmail – AGF (229 Views)

'All Eyes On The Judiciary’: FG's Clampdown Stirs Controversies / Restructuring: I Won’t Succumb To Pressure ― Buhari / COVID-19: FG Won’t Reintroduce Total Lockdown Again - Boss Mustapha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Judiciary: FG Won’t Succumb To Blackmail – AGF by Bobloco: 5:08pm On Nov 26, 2023
Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Prince Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), has said that President Bola Tinubu-led administration would not succumb to blackmail on account of allegations against recent judicial pronouncements arising from electoral disputes.

He said the federal government would not shield errant judges found culpable of misconduct, adding that whatever allegations against any law court verdict must be accompanied by tangible evidence.

Speaking on the sidelines of a special prayer and reception by members of his family organized in commemoration of his appointment in Ijagbo, Oyun local government area of Kwara state at the weekend, Fagbemi said that that the insinuations which trailed some recent judgements of courts were within the realm of blackmail until proven.

It is recalled that recent judicial pronouncements on disputes over this year’s general elections had heightened concern in some quarters with allegations that the judiciary was under siege.

At the reception, which had in attendance Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, members of the National Assembly, legal luminaries, associates and captains of industry, the Attorney General of the Federation warned against throwing caution to the wind as a result of electoral defeat suffered in courts.

He noted that it was a misnomer to accuse presiding judges of obtaining bribes based on judgements delivered, saying that judicial verdicts are always premised on the facts presented before jurists hear a matter.

Fagbemi, a legal icon, added that it was incumbent on candidates in the electoral contest to imbibe the spirit of sportsmanship and avoid desperation in whatever guise.

“Let me tell you, one thing about justice is that the man who wins will praise the judiciary while the man who lost will never agree he has lost fairly unless they gave him judgements. Unless you are able to bring forth concrete evidence, I will not succumb to what I will call blackmail; because blackmail it is.

“If you have evidence, nobody will shield an erring judge. Bring it to the fore, say it out. For the mere fact that you didn’t win shouldn’t make you throw caution to the wind. It doesn’t work like that. You wanted to win, you put your facts there. The judge said it is not the position. You tried it on appeal, you lost. The Supreme Court, you lost. I think even apart from law, morality also demands that you take it as it is.

“I am not saying that judges cannot be wrong because they are human beings. If they are wrong, and it is not as a result of bribery or corruption, that is fine. But if you want to prove corruption, you know the way to prove it. The mere fact that you lost shouldn’t give insinuation to, the judge has been bribed”, Fagbemi said.

Speaking on the present administration, the minister of Justice said events in the last few months of Tinubu in the saddle attested to the preparation of the President for the job.

He, however, appealed to the citizens to exercise patience because according to him, he inherited the nation’s problems.

“If you look at this man (Mr President), he is somebody who wants to work. He is prepared to do, he is not somebody who wants to be learning on the job, and he has done it before.

“Whoever succeeded in governing Lagos, should be able to govern Nigeria. I am not equating Lagos with Nigeria, but you know what I mean. That is the economic nerve centre of the nation. Go and check his performance in Lagos.

“He is not the one who created these problems in Nigeria but he is still not complaining. Immediately after his swearing-in, what did he do? He went out to seek investors’ support, investors’ buy-in, and he has been doing that, and we have seen positive responses that had been trailing his meetings with the foreign investors.

“The only thing we need is that it wouldn’t come in a day; it doesn’t just come like that. Even if you plant a tree, it will not go to fruition until after awhile”.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/judiciary-fg-wont-succumb-to-blackmail-agf/#google_vignette
Re: Judiciary: FG Won’t Succumb To Blackmail – AGF by jkpbestseries: 5:13pm On Nov 26, 2023
i recommend Oliver Twist to this post. Great Novel

1 Like

Re: Judiciary: FG Won’t Succumb To Blackmail – AGF by Isobug: 6:37pm On Nov 26, 2023
They are guilty of all accusations. What blackmail are they talking about? Succumb or no succumb, one day you will push the Citizens to the wall, then you will succumb, just keep enjoying the corruption
Re: Judiciary: FG Won’t Succumb To Blackmail – AGF by Oloripelebe: 6:43pm On Nov 26, 2023
Don't mind those cry cry babies
Re: Judiciary: FG Won’t Succumb To Blackmail – AGF by magoo10(m): 6:59pm On Nov 26, 2023
the AGF office is a political one let the chief justice who is the head of the judiciary lead the defence on the allegations against them and prove to nigerians they are clean.

(1) (Reply)

Bini-Lagos: Where's The Logic In Invading Lagos But Now Claim You Founded It. / Akpabio Pays APC Media Urchins N25m To Debunk Birthday Jamboree Expo - Jackson / Why Can't Money Be Created Digitally?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.