Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,662 members, 7,813,227 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:57 AM

12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria (33801 Views)

How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? / Village Oil Yam And Vegetables (pics, video & recipe) / How To Make Simple Stir Fry Potatoes And Vegetables:breakfast Idea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:21pm On Nov 26, 2023
In Nigeria, fruits and vegetables like oranges, carrots, mangoes, tangerines, etc., are commonplace. Many people, including Nigerians, don’t know that besides these staples, the country grows other uncommon fruits and vegetables that are often thought to be imported. Now that you know we have certain uncommon fruits and vegetables in Nigeria, here are some of them....

1. Broccoli.
One can actually argue that Broccoli is grown exclusively in Plateau state and not in any other Nigerian state. The fruit market in Jos is all the more richer and diverse because of this and other exotic vegetables and fruits.

2. Cauliflower
Cauliflower is rich in vitamins and minerals, also very essential in detoxification, proper digestion, and helps fight cancer, inflammation and other heart conditions.

3. Beetroots
Beetroot was first cultivated by the Romans. Today, the leading commercial producers include the USA, Russia, France, Poland and Germany. It can be roasted, blended into a soup, boiled, or consumed raw in salads. Studies claim that beetroot juice improves athletic performance, reduce blood pressure, and increase blood flow.

4. Strawberries
Strawberry is grown in large quantities in Jos and other areas of Plateau state. For anyone who has ever travelled from Abuja to Jos, the women hawking strawberry and other uncommon fruits and vegetables around Riyom local government area are not hard to miss.

5. Pomegranates

Pomegranates are a great source of vitamin C, fibre, and vitamin B6.

6. Raspberries
Raspberries are highly rich in antioxidants, potassium, fiber, and other nutrients that are essential to the body system.

7. Apples

8. Blueberries
Blueberries are low in calories but high in nutrients. Also used in fruit juices.

9. Tomatoes
Of course, tomatoes are grown in many states across Nigeria. But the tomatoes in some states stand out for their excellent quality and flavour. That’s why the praise name “Tomato Jos” for example, is a thing.

10. Celery
This contains important antioxidants; it reduces inflammation, supports digestion, and is rich in vitamins and minerals.

11. Eggplants
Eggplants are a source of vitamins and minerals. It helps in digestion, reduces the amount of cholesterol that the body absorbs and thus improves heart conditions. It also helps bones become stronger and increase bone density.

12. Radish
Radishes can be red, white, or purple. It has been said to aid digestion, fight fungus, prevent diabetes and improve skin condition.

Here’s a picture of the British commissioner to Nigeria, Catriona Laing, shopping for fruits at the farmers market in Plateau.

https://www.zikoko.com/chopist/12-uncommon-fruits-vegetables-in-nigeria/

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:21pm On Nov 26, 2023
Pictures.......

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:21pm On Nov 26, 2023
More Pictures.....

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:22pm On Nov 26, 2023
....and more pictures.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:22pm On Nov 26, 2023
Our Apples are juicy and sweet 😋 😍 ❤️

11 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:28pm On Nov 26, 2023
Nigeria 🇳🇬 is blessed.....

Thank you so much Radautoworks From Food section.
Your reply got us into this research.
It's worth every bit.....

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by Hezzyluv: 9:28pm On Nov 26, 2023
Turmeric plants

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by illicit(m): 9:29pm On Nov 26, 2023
What of dates

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by Iagos: 9:31pm On Nov 26, 2023

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:34pm On Nov 26, 2023
illicit:
What of dates
Dates Fruits,
Another good one...
Popularly called Dabino in the North.
Date palm is believed to have been introduced into Nigeria in the early 8th century by Arab traders from north Africa.
Date fruits are a highly valued delicacy among many communities in Nigeria, especially during ceremonies and festivals.

20 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by radautoworks: 9:35pm On Nov 26, 2023
post=127181449:
Nigeria 🇳🇬 is blessed.....

Thank you so much Radautoworks From Food section.
Your reply got us into this research.
It's worth every bit.....
I updated with contact info for you. Any time wink

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:40pm On Nov 26, 2023
radautoworks:
I updated with contact info for you. Any time wink
Thank you so much.
We will follow up.
Stay blessed.

6 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by Simdyofficial(f): 10:07pm On Nov 26, 2023
post=127181526:

Dates Fruits,
Another good one...
Popularly called Dabino in the North.
Date palm is believed to have been introduced into Nigeria in the early 8th century by Arab traders from north Africa.
Date fruits are a highly valued delicacy among many communities in Nigeria, especially during ceremonies and festivals.
I have tasted this few times.. though I haven't seen it in Nigeria.. heard it's for men's gbola. Lol. Too sugary .. mostly sold by abokis in Ghana, Togo and benin Republic

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:35pm On Nov 26, 2023
Simdyofficial:
I have tasted this few times.. though I haven't seen it in Nigeria.. heard it's for men's gbola. Lol. Too sugary .. mostly sold by abokis in Ghana, Togo and benin Republic
Lol 😂, interesting.
Nice to meet you Mrs Gbolahan 😉

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by NFBI: 11:03pm On Nov 26, 2023
What about the green apple is it planted in Nigeria too?
Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by Simdyofficial(f): 11:15pm On Nov 26, 2023
post=127182466:

Lol 😂, interesting.
Nice to meet you Mrs Gbolahan 😉
my comment was fully on what you posted.. quoting me is like a pig passing by bruh... Drag your buhari on his past shiii. Bfor I take u serious

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by Eriggs: 12:13am On Nov 27, 2023
Simdyofficial:
my comment was fully on what you posted.. quoting me is like a pig passing by bruh... Drag your buhari on his past shiii. Bfor I take u serious
You talked about men gbola,
Dem call you Ms Gbolahan, u come dey vex. grin grin
Madam Gbolahan don vex ooo grin.
If u dare derail dis Beautiful fruit thread with ur political nonsense lasan.
Body go tell u....

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by Simdyofficial(f): 5:35am On Nov 27, 2023
Eriggs:

You talked about men gbola,
Dem call you Ms Gbolahan, u come dey vex. grin grin
Madam Gbolahan don vex ooo grin.
If u dare derail dis Beautiful fruit thread with ur political nonsense lasan.
Body go tell u....
where this one from again undecided
Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 30, 2023
All these end time fruits.

1 Like

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by slaawomirr: 3:59pm On Nov 30, 2023
Damnnn niggar
So tomatoes, egg plant and apple na uncommon thing for Nigeria

Tomatoes, egg plant and apple way common to grow everywhere in Nigeria

Even one dey my backyard for Benin city here
Especially the egg plant

Bros op go just dey smoke anyhow in the afternoon begin compose thread

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by Racoon(m): 3:59pm On Nov 30, 2023
Lovely

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by Skillsnigeria: 4:00pm On Nov 30, 2023
Noted
Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by Abolodje: 4:00pm On Nov 30, 2023
So na Wetin I go chop as hunger wan tear my head
Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by theophorus(m): 4:00pm On Nov 30, 2023
Eggplant is good for Pregnant women especially from 7month upward.

But Sha no lele, aside Tomatoes and Apples others na once a blue moon things.

When I become more wealthy some go become normal things.

1 Like

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by Buhari4dullard: 4:00pm On Nov 30, 2023
Plateau you are blessed, dont let the fulanis take Plateau from you

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by StubbornGENIUS: 4:00pm On Nov 30, 2023
Apples ,tomatoes and brocolli are very common to states I've been to.

1 Like

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by strictly4data: 4:01pm On Nov 30, 2023
Okay
Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by SoNature(m): 4:02pm On Nov 30, 2023
Those Nature didn't give crude oil, It gave something else.

Northern Nigeria is just blessed with massive arable land!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by NaijaCover(m): 4:02pm On Nov 30, 2023
Wow
Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by Mindlog: 4:02pm On Nov 30, 2023
Beetroot is not uncommon.
Re: 12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria by AbujaLagos: 4:02pm On Nov 30, 2023
Scrit:
All these end time fruits.
you don brush?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Make Vegetable Gravy | A Healthy Alternative to stew (pictures and video) / I Made Vegetable Soup With #1,500. / What Is Your Favourite Fruit? (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.