Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,837 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary (718 Views)

If It Were The South Easterners That Owns Lagos / T.Y Danjuma Worth $1.2bn, Owns International Hotels – Bloomberg / Lagos My State; Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by yoruboid: 4:20am On Nov 28, 2023
I’m not about to go into the argument about history but all I will say is that from the earliest documented history of all Obas and Baales in Lagos including the Aworis, which Language do they speak?

Which language is spoken in the Oba’s Palace in Lagos today and even as far back as when the British invaded?

If Binis founded Lagos, how come the Bini language isn't spoken?

7 Likes

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by TemplarLandry: 4:28am On Nov 28, 2023
Jokers them.
Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by illicit(m): 4:32am On Nov 28, 2023
It's the royalty that came from Benin not the people

On Lagos island,there are places with Benin heritage names like the palace itself, Iga Iduganran

Ẹkọ means camp in Benin

However, Lagos is not Benin land but the royalty came from Benin

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by DoTheNeedful: 4:43am On Nov 28, 2023
yoruboid:
I’m not about to go into the argument about history but all I will say is that from the earliest documented history of all Obas and Baales in Lagos including the Aworis, which Language do they speak?

Which language is spoken in the Oba’s Palace in Lagos today and even as far back as when the British invaded?

Oba of Benin never said they own Lagos. He only said they founded it. Besides, when we say Lagos, people get it mixed up. Are we talking about Lagos State or Eko Idu-iganran, the seat of Oba of Lagos, which is not up to one local government? Can Benin claim Badagry that is owned by Egun or Ikorodu, Lekki, Epe owned by Ijebu speaking people. There are some other areas owned by Awori.

What the Oba said was needless, given the political tension that occurred earlier in the year. Saying Edo founded Lagos is tantamount to saying the British founded Nigeria. Truely, there was Benin empire that spanned as far as Republic of Benin. However, the economic significance of Lagos today, has made it the beautiful bride. The Oba won't go to Republic of Benin today to say Benin own places there.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by Iamgrey5(m): 4:44am On Nov 28, 2023
illicit:
It's the royalty that came from Benin not the people

On Lagos island,there are places with Benin heritage names like the palace itself, Iga Iduganran

Ẹkọ means camp in Benin

However, Lagos is not Benin land but the royalty came from Benin
Which Royalty is that?

Is Lagos the indigenous name of Lagos or is Eko the name of the entire place called Lagos today?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by Iamgrey5(m): 4:45am On Nov 28, 2023
DoTheNeedful:

Oba of Benin never said they own Lagos. He only said they founded it. Besides, when we say Lagos, people get it mixed up. Are we talking about Lagos State or Eko Idu-iganran, the seat of Oba of Lagos, which is not up to one local government? Can Benin claim Badagry that is owned by Egun or Ikorodu, Lekki, Epe owned by Ijebu speaking people. There are some other areas owned by Awori.

What the Oba said was needless, given the political tension that occurred earlier in the year. Saying Edo founded Lagos is tantamount to saying the British founded Nigeria. Truely, there was Benin empire that spanned as far as Republic of Benin and even parts of Niger state today. However, the economic significance of Lagos today, has made it the beautiful bride. The Oba won't go to Republic of Benin today to say Benin own places there.
@ emboled is the biggest lie in history.

Biggest lie

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by plaindealer: 5:02am On Nov 28, 2023
If you like, say ne Mexicans found and own Lagos, say na Eskimos own Lagos, even say na u get Lagos, come and carry am. even after you collect your biafra, carry Lagos and join am to your biafra village.

It's the same meaningless comedy to entertain us.. grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by Mbanda(m): 5:28am On Nov 28, 2023
yoruboid:

The same thing is also applicable to you lots that always say, most niger delta people that speaks Igbo are not Igbo.
You know that most tribes in present day delta state and rivers state such as, ikwerres, Obigbo, oppobo, asaba, ugwashi, anioma, okpanam and many more, are all Igbos yet you sad wastes that always claims to be the mouthpiece of the niger delta people, keep saying that they are not Igbo.

And now, you want us to use the same language issue that, you sad wastes refused to acknowledge, in the case of niger delta people to the issue of lagos state.

Oga things are not done that way. If Igbo language cannot make the Igbo speaking niger deltans Igbo, same thing should be applicable in this lagos issue it's as simple as that.

3 Likes

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by Christistruth03: 5:53am On Nov 28, 2023
yoruboid:

The Yoruba Awori people founded and Own Lagos till today

Document from Sir Alfred Moloney
British Colonial Governor of Lagos 1890
Confirming Lagos as Yorubaland

3 Likes

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by MEEVEET: 6:46am On Nov 28, 2023
yoruboid:

Bini don't own Lagos because they speak Yoruba today abi? Nice nice one

But the Igbo parts influenced by bini are bini people

I like this one
Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by Beremx(f): 6:50am On Nov 28, 2023
At least the narrative of who developed Lagos has shifted from Igbo people to Benin people. Na Oba of Benin talk this one sha and it hurts my Yoruba people.

Igbo people can now breathe grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by NaMe4: 6:53am On Nov 28, 2023
Why are some of you (who are even migrants to the Lagos sef) going crazy?

All what the Oba narrated yesterday was History. He was on a historical expedition to Lagos and only mentioned that as part of history.

Did he tell you he owns Lagos?

Have you personally met and argued with any Edo person telling you he owns Lagos?

Has Edo State which is over 6 times the size of Lagos been fully developed that anyone would be eyeing Lagos?

No one has time for such nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by Alaigbo(m): 8:35am On Nov 28, 2023
Foolish souls born of foolish Igbo father like yours no fit ever fit make meaningful contribution to any discus no matter how little so no surprises here.

Beremx:
At least the narrative of who developed Lagos has shifted from Igbo people to Benin people. Na Oba of Benin talk this one sha and it hurts my Yoruba people.

Igbo people can now breathe grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by Truths9ja: 8:45am On Nov 28, 2023
Awori people founded Lagos simple as ABC . The current Benin king refused to ask history from his dad before his dad died. All the fact and truths are online for people to be enlightened.

Maybe I should split Lagos State more.

Epe Axis- the largest land mass in Lagos State is been filled up with ijebu speaking people
Badagry- it’s been filled up with Egun people
Lekki/Ibeju/Ajah - is been filled up by the Awori people
Ikorodu axis - is been filled up with the mixture of Ijebu/Awori/Egun tribes.

4 Likes

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by igwebuike01: 8:48am On Nov 28, 2023
yoruboid:

I like the way e de pepper una now. Shebi una de support ikwerre madness? Even saying that language and names are no longer criteria for ethnicity in ikwerre matter?
Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by chiagozien(m): 9:10am On Nov 28, 2023
Christistruth03:

Aworis tribe are not yoruba.

I don't know why you people keep attaching

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by 2elliot: 9:11am On Nov 28, 2023
Mbanda:
The same thing is also applicable to you lots that always say, most niger delta people that speaks Igbo are not Igbo.
You know that most tribes in present day delta state and rivers state such as, ikwerres, Obigbo, oppobo, asaba, ugwashi, anioma, okpanam and many more, are all Igbos yet you sad wastes that always claims to be the mouthpiece of the niger delta people, keep saying that they are not Igbo.

And now, you want us to use the same language issue that, you sad wastes refused to acknowledge, in the case of niger delta people to the issue of lagos state.

Oga things are not done that way. If Igbo language cannot make the Igbo speaking niger deltans Igbo, same thing should be applicable in this lagos issue it's as simple as that.
You dey carry those oduduwa children, two faced treacherous beings too seriously.
Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by chiagozien(m): 9:13am On Nov 28, 2023
2elliot:
You dey carry those oduduwa children, two faced treacherous beings too seriously.
They're Double mouth snakes.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by Armaggedon: 9:37am On Nov 28, 2023
yoruboid:

you guys are living on borrowed times in lagos. It has always been about Yoruba people from neighbouring states imposing themselves on Lagos against the wishes and interest of the natives. Honestly, if the natives do not oppose Yoruba domineering attitude in Lagos, why are Yorubas insecure over Lagos.
Despite Oba of Lagos partnership with Tinubu in crime, he doesn't fail to remind you guys that Lagos isn't Yorubaland and even promised GRV of support next time.

You claim Lagos is Yorubaland but a lot of the indigenes don't see it that way. That explains it's status
Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by orisa37: 9:57am On Nov 28, 2023
WHOEVER OWNS NIGERIA OWNS LAGOS, PORTHACOUT AND ABUJA. THAT ONE IS LORD LUGARD. LUGARD IS SYNONYMOUS WITH NIGERIA CREATIVELY, COMPUTATIONALLY AND METHODICALLY.
Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by orisa37: 10:00am On Nov 28, 2023
STOP WITCH HUNT. WHOEVER OWNS NIGERIA OWNS LAGOS, PORTHACOUT AND ABUJA. THAT ONE IS LORD LUGARD. LUGARD IS SYNONYMOUS WITH NIGERIA CREATIVELY, COMPUTATIONALLY AND METHODICALLY.
Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by Wutinky: 10:03am On Nov 28, 2023
Christistruth03:

Dude shut it, Lagos belong to the Binis, stop land grabbing because Lagos is prosperous place due to contribution of all Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by Wutinky: 10:04am On Nov 28, 2023
chiagozien:
They're Double mouth snakes.

Have you see them claiming Ibadan the capital of brown roof or Abeokuta? they are nothing but land bandits

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by onumadu: 10:06am On Nov 28, 2023
yoruboid:

If the Fulani founded all the emirates in Northern Nigeria starting with Sokoto, how come it is HAUSA instead of Fulfude that is being spoken in all of them?

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by Wutinky: 10:10am On Nov 28, 2023
chiagozien:

What do you expect from lazy and land bandits, always looking for pieces of land to sell to fund their Owambe party
Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by Christistruth03: 3:17pm On Nov 28, 2023
grin

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by T9ksy(m): 3:55pm On Nov 28, 2023
chiagozien:

Do you have any proof yo substantiate your comment, above?

How many aworis have you came across that told you, they are not yoruba?

What does "awori" means? in whatever language you want to throw up?

Yorubas have too much cultural pride imbue in them to attempt attaching to any one.

"Aji se bi Oyo lanri; Oyo o se bi baba enikan" - we only see those who wants to be like Oyo however, Oyo doesn't copy/attach (to) anyone.
Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by KwuoteYourFada: 3:58pm On Nov 28, 2023
Christistruth03:

Aworis are not Yorubas

Same as ijebus

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by aariwa(m): 4:04pm On Nov 28, 2023
Binis founded Lagos based on available evidence documented by the British that they have run one of the longest running empires in Africa. There is evidence of binis ogiso kingship from about 500 century AD and then Igboukwu discovery of a burial chamber in 1959 was confirmed by professor thurstan Shaw to show igbos have existed in same place since around 800-900 AD…that’s more than 1000 years ago but the only evidence for Yoruba is the bronze heads from ile ife which shows very big similarities with Benin bronze works showing probably the craftsmen learnt it from Benin because ile ife art works was confirmed several hundred years after that of Beni…the story that oduduwa used a laddder to come down from heaven is only a folklore meant for children and not something taken seriously by historians

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by aariwa(m): 4:18pm On Nov 28, 2023
KwuoteYourFada:

Aworis are not Yorubas

Same as ijebus
sounds like truth because I have noticed that 80-90% of progressive or prosperous Yorubas are always from that ijebu and egba axis…the rest seem to glorify generational poverty

1 Like

Re: Who Owns Lagos? Short Summary by Validated: 4:41pm On Nov 28, 2023
yoruboid:

Please, Oba of Bini has spoken, let Oba of Lagos counter him. Not riffraffs on NL

(1) (2) (Reply)

Would Tinubu As Governor Have Accepted The Directives To Fubara? Emmanuel Aziken / Population Of Alimosho Local Government VS Population Of Cape Verde / Picture Graph - Inflation - Nig/usa - Petrol/gas Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.