Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:30 PM

Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? (51587 Views)

I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me / I Regret Going To The University / What Do You Regret Not Doing In Your University/School Days? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by NwanyiOkpa(f): 4:25am On Dec 30, 2019
Good morning,

I hope you are doing great. I intend going abroad for my masters, come this august 2020. I have secured admissions in the USA for MSc. Mechanical Engineering. i have partial funding already and i will be paying for the rest.

To better make my decision, did you have any regrets with studying abroad? did it give you an edge during your job search?

Thanks.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Mailthaddeus(m): 4:47am On Dec 30, 2019
Are u going abroad for more study because u wanna have an edge in job search, or u are going because u want to gain more relevant knowledge that will make u a better engineer?

Ur mindset needs to be changed here. Continuesly develop urself with quality learning and the sky will be ur limit. Jobs and opportunities naturally come to a prepared mind.

279 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Nobody: 4:49am On Dec 30, 2019
Don't occupy your mind with negativity....

Think positive and you won't have any regrets whatsoever.

Still hustling to get the much needed funds for my Msc which I intend to do in the Netherlands.

94 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Thegeneralqueen(f): 4:51am On Dec 30, 2019
Mailthaddeus:
Are u going abroad for more study because u wanna have an edge in job search, or u are going because u want to gain more relevant knowledge that will make u a better engineer?

Ur mindset needs to be changed here. Continuesly develop urself with quality learning and the sky will be ur limit. Jobs and opportunities naturally come to a prepared mind.
Op follow this advice

78 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Ustec: 4:56am On Dec 30, 2019
No knowledge is wasted

14 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by otipoju(m): 5:14am On Dec 30, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Good morning,

I hope you are doing great. I intend going abroad for my masters, come this august 2020. I have secured admissions in the USA for MSc. Mechanical Engineering. i have partial funding already and i will be paying for the rest.

To better make my decision, did you have any regrets with studying abroad? did it give you an edge during your job search?

Thanks.

You will not regret it. As you learn though aquire a broad spectrum of related skills and try and get a Graduate assitant position and internships as well.

What state are you studying in?

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Philipmems(m): 6:00am On Dec 30, 2019
One of the greatest decision I made in my life was to further my education outside the shores of my fatherland. Having a reputable school in the US included in your resume will give you an edge anywhere in the world. Attending a University here in the US, you will be exposed to the latest technologies in your career/field of study. Also, the education system here from the beginning to the end is amazing.
I was once a sceptic once upon a time, I took a leap of fate and voila here I am today living my best life.
Be Fearless

270 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by NwanyiOkpa(f): 6:44am On Dec 30, 2019
Philipmems:
One of the greatest decision I made in my life was to further my education outside the shores of my fatherland. Having a reputable school in the US included in your resume will give you an edge anywhere in the world. Attending a University here in the US, you will be exposed to the latest technologies in your career/field of study. Also, the education system here from the beginning to the end is amazing.
I was ones sceptic once upon a time, I took a leap of fate and voila here I am today living my best life.
Be Fearless

Did you return back to naija or...?

18 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by NwanyiOkpa(f): 6:45am On Dec 30, 2019
otipoju:

You will not regret it. As you learn though aquire a broad spectrum of related skills and try and get a Graduate assitant position and internships as well.

What state are you studying in?

I have not moved yet but i have been admitted.
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by NwanyiOkpa(f): 6:46am On Dec 30, 2019
Mailthaddeus:

Thanks so much. I am actually doing it for both. To prepare the mind and to get an edge but i understand your point.

6 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by NwanyiOkpa(f): 6:47am On Dec 30, 2019
Thegeneralqueen:
Op follow this advice

Thanks so much

3 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Gabs7(m): 7:40am On Dec 30, 2019
How do you regret studying in a more advanced society?

Some of us desire these opportunities, and I will not be hesitant to ask: OP, how did you do it? Can we talk about it in detail so I can equally copy your steps, please?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by NwanyiOkpa(f): 7:53am On Dec 30, 2019
Gabs7:
How do you regret studying in a more advanced society?

Some of us desire these opportunities, and I will not be hesitant to ask: OP, how did you do it? Can we talk about it in detail so I can equally copy your steps, please?

Write GRE, write TOEFL, Apply!

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by lyriclekidd(m): 9:10am On Dec 30, 2019
Okay
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by DuBLINGreenb(m): 9:11am On Dec 30, 2019
Yes
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by recievesense: 9:11am On Dec 30, 2019
yes
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Dottore: 9:11am On Dec 30, 2019
Honestly I havnt heard or seen anyone who did Masters abroad and came back to Nigeria with better opportunities than the Masters Holders from Nigerian Universities.

The truth is that Nigeria first degree is not valuable abroad so doing only masters abroad is more or less a rip off and waste of time.

The only thing I know about them is AUDIO BENEFITS.

Their parents and sponsors are waiting for the benefits the way Nigeria is waiting for 24/7 electricity power supply.

If you really want to enjoy the benefits of studying abroad you better start with first degree before masters. You can enjoy the benefit both home and abroad.

95 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Seunaj05(m): 9:11am On Dec 30, 2019
Actually, getting a foreign second degree does a lot of good to your CV and will also boost your self confidence to applying for any job. However, it's no automatic employment when/if you return

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 30, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Good morning,

Thanks.

PLEASE GO.

Realistically, If you are going there for Mechanical Engineering, It is good. it's a STEM course & lots of opportunities there.

Also, no matter what happens. Please don't come back home to Nigeria with your US certificate thinking you have an edge. YOU DON"T.

During your time in school, find a cool headed educated STEM Black American graduate & marry him. Continue your life & live happily ever after.
Don't mess around with Nigerians that won't offer you anything, BE WISE PLEASE.

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by helinues: 9:11am On Dec 30, 2019
Nigerians will prefer Senior in Abroad undecided

You know what I mean

4 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by lebron7(m): 9:13am On Dec 30, 2019
Please is UK a good place to study, bcus I have been hearing studying in UK is just a waste of money

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by recievesense: 9:13am On Dec 30, 2019
Babe, go there, get an oyibo boyfriend, love am die, marry am, get green card, graduate and get q good job. If you near naija u will regret it.

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:13am On Dec 30, 2019
To better make my decision, did you have any regrets with studying abroad?

Absolutely NO!

Did it give you an edge during your job search? 

Absolutely YES!

All the best to you over there.
Face your studies and Excel.
Cheers! kiss

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Amanee(f): 9:13am On Dec 30, 2019
Here to read and learn

2 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Nobody: 9:13am On Dec 30, 2019
Avoid the UK

Us should be fine

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Jaqenhghar: 9:13am On Dec 30, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Good morning,

Thanks.
As long as you remain in the US you will have no regrets

8 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Kobicove(m): 9:14am On Dec 30, 2019
I did not do any program abroad but I know several people who regret going abroad to do Masters but still did not get the type of jobs they were hoping for inspite of all the money they spent.

There are a few however that vote very good jobs but some of them are still repaying student loans they took

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by mamajj17(f): 9:14am On Dec 30, 2019
Go dear, Fingers are not equal !!! It could bring the Best in you. All the very Best kiss

9 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by lebron7(m): 9:14am On Dec 30, 2019
maybachmusic:
Avoid the UK

Us should be fine
Please explain
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Jaqenhghar: 9:14am On Dec 30, 2019
Philipmems:
I was ones sceptic once upon a time, I took a leap of fate and voila here I am today living my best life.
Be Fearless
Did you return home?

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

A Maths Teacher Asked To Teach English Language.... / Meet Iya Abubakar Who Became A Professor Of Mathematics At 28 / 500-Level UNIBEN Student Shot Dead Inside School Premises

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.