Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,351 members, 7,815,715 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse (19163 Views)

Aggrieved Student Leaves ‘Sacrifice’ In Lecturer’s Office In Michael Okpara Univ / ASSU/FG Impasse: NANS To Protest Nationwide, To Take Court Action / 30-Year-Old Pupil - Asylum Seeker Fools UK School, Pretends To Be 14 (See Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by Dyt(f): 10:10pm On Nov 29, 2023
A Polaris Bank customer, Onofue Victoria Ife-Michael, has been left embittered over the bank’s refusal to grant her access to funds refunded into her account by a UK university.

In a series of posts on X, Ife-Michael narrated how she had applied to Roehampton University, United Kingdom, and was offered provisional admission.

However, she said, the admission was later terminated over the school’s quota issues after she had been made to pay £2,500 tuition deposit.

The crypto expert said that since November 2022, she made spirited efforts to get a refund of the tuition deposit from the school to no avail.

She said that after many months of agonising back and forth with the school, the tuition deposit was finally refunded into a Polaris Bank domiciliary account she recently opened.

However, Ife-Michael said she was left in tears after the bank informed her that the funds would be returned to the school.

She wrote, “Yesterday, @PolarisBankLtd did something that really broke my heart. Broke my heart so bad that I cried all day and didn’t sleep all night.

“In June 2022, i got into Roehampton university, London and was required to pay a tuition deposit of £2,500 before I could sit for the pre CAS.

“I made a life altering decision and sold my apartment to raise funds for the tuition fee and other traveling expenses.

“But after i paid and sat through the interview, Roehampton’s communication with me drastically changed and I had to start struggling for a response from them.

“Eventually, they said their intake was full and I couldn’t get in. I was hurt, but I moved on.

“In line with their refund policy, I applied for a refund for the first time In November 2022. This would become the beginning of a long and difficult journey to get my money back.

“I wrote so many emails to the school and spent so much money on airtime to call them. There were weeks of total silence and no response from the school, weeks I had to go through not knowing if I would get my money back or not. This singular experience really altered my life.

“Finally, in July 2023, 8 months after the first refund application, I got the first positive response from Roehampton (I say “positive” because I was told to fill a form for the refund, which I did, but in reality, the refund was declined).

“They couldn’t verify the account details.

“I requested a new form in July, and it took another two months to get the link from the school. Again, it was declined.

“It was then a friend in the UK tried sending some pounds to the account and he discovered that the account wasn’t functioning anymore.

“I wasn’t aware because it wasn’t my personal bank account I paid the deposit (£) from.

“I had sent Naira from @PolarisBankLtd in 2022 to a Gtbank account that sent the money to a UK account. This UK account paid pounds to Roehampton on my behalf.

“I did this because I didn’t have a domiciliary account at the time and I needed to pay in time for the pre CAS interview.

“Roehampton’s refund policy states that money can be refunded only to the account that paid directly.

“Since said account wasn’t functioning anymore, I wrote to the school explaining my challenges and how I had no idea about the account’s closure.

“I then pleaded that they send the money to an account I would provide them.

“So I went to @PolarisBankLtd three weeks ago and opened a dom account with them. I provided roe with my account details.

“Fortunately, Roehampton agreed to pay into the account, and they did. It took 7 days, the money got in on Sunday.

“I didn’t even know it had gotten in because I received no alerts. Only to receive a call from @PolarisBankLtd yesterday and was told that the money would have to be returned to the school because I didn’t send the pounds directly from my account originally.

“I would like to know what kind of policy this is because if this money is returned to the school, I have no idea if I’ll ever get it out. Or how long it would take.

“So many people who are directly related to me have been affected by this because that money has its purpose, especially at such a time when the economy isn’t friendly.

“Imagine the heartbreak and hurt this has caused. Is it abnormal to receive funds from a school even after providing all necessary documentation and information requested?”

Ife-Michael urged the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to intervene in the matter.
https://www.herald.ng/aggrieved-customer-calls-out-polaris-bank-over-uk-school-tuition-refund-impasse/

4 Likes

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by Brendaniel: 10:48pm On Nov 29, 2023
It is well....
Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by easyfem(m): 10:49pm On Nov 29, 2023
Let wait for Polaris reply before I summarize curse on them

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by chris4gold(m): 10:50pm On Nov 29, 2023
All these yahoo yahoo bois don spoil market for this one🧐

11 Likes

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by Keaton(m): 10:50pm On Nov 29, 2023
Our banks are experts in frustrating people's lives

chris4gold:
At least try read the story before commenting trash. What does yahoo yahoo have to do with this?

71 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by Adexsilver4(m): 10:55pm On Nov 29, 2023
The only advise I will give is to call Dem out on all social media platforms

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by Major7: 10:56pm On Nov 29, 2023
Go out all crazy on them and you will get your money back. Nigeria banks don't reason with gentle men/ladies

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by Major7: 10:58pm On Nov 29, 2023
EtinosaDLaw:
Oba of Benin founded Lagos.
Anybody that doesn't like it should drink Tinubu's rotten saliva

Tribalism and vauwlence no dey tire you?

6 Likes

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by Ucheamani(m): 10:58pm On Nov 29, 2023
International anti-money laundry law requires that funds must go back to where it came from. Neither the school nor the bank is at fault here.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by AzuNas: 10:59pm On Nov 29, 2023
Alright. . . . . . . Aje

Make i tune in to Brekete family tomorrow to check if the other guy with sterling bank dn receive em own.

Abeg
Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by ThatCEO: 10:59pm On Nov 29, 2023
This one looks like money laundering 101.

You sent money to the school via UK akant, but you wan collect am back via Naija akant. Aunty, it's like your head is paining you cheesy

How about another interpretation. You scammed someone in the UK and used the scam proceed to pay tuition deposit. Now you want the school route the money to your akant in Nigeria so you can cash out.

The idiott even have the audacity to drag Polaris bank into her madness.

If you are not hiding anything, tell d school to send the money back to the original UK account that help you pay the school fees. Then tell the account owner to send the money back to you in Naija.

I mean, I shouldn't have to be giving a sell acclaimed Crypto expert this advice.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by pricelessgurl: 11:00pm On Nov 29, 2023
Ok
Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by bayumyguy: 11:00pm On Nov 29, 2023
Banks like frustrating people sha the best is telll the customer to get a from school stating that the money refunded is meant for u.Very simple

5 Likes

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by jojothaiv(m): 11:01pm On Nov 29, 2023
Ucheamani:
International anti-money laundry law requires that funds must go back to where it came from. Neither the school nor the bank is at fault here.
So what's the point of refunding then?

Maybe the international AML will shed more light on that too.

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by ecolime(m): 11:04pm On Nov 29, 2023
EtinosaDLaw:
Oba of Benin founded Lagos.
Anybody that doesn't like it should drink Tinubu's rotten saliva
Benin Kingdom in present day Edo state is Yoruba territory. If you don't like it, go and suck your Oba's sagged balls.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by Skillsnigeria: 11:09pm On Nov 29, 2023
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by sharone21(f): 11:09pm On Nov 29, 2023
Polaris bank is a coded fraudulent bank.

U can open savings account with them for which they will acknowledge as being okay at the moment however when u want to withdraw what u deposited, kasala, they will write NO DEBIT that u should go and update your documents and they must come confirm your house address physically.... Till then, na u Sabi with your money.

Not the best for those in diaspora or those who will still be in diaspora.

When u ask several people, different woe tales about this bank ( very local) forming modern bank.... Banking with them usually end in tears. Their % yield per year is a bit attractive but if u love peace of mind: NO NEAR AM OOO.

11 Likes

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by happney65: 11:10pm On Nov 29, 2023
Ucheamani:

Exactly. The school has even been magnanimous enough to send to a Polaris account and not the GTB it came from.

But why was the GTB account closed and it cant receive money again?

Maybe it should be reopened and the money sent to the original account it left from instead of all these back and forth

5 Likes

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by EtinosaDLaw(m): 11:11pm On Nov 29, 2023
ecolime:

Benin Kingdom in present day Edo state is Yoruba territory. If you don't like it, go and such your Oba's balls.

Yorobastard don drop response.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by Cmanforall: 11:12pm On Nov 29, 2023
chris4gold:

I think that's a major issue here. Polaris may be trying to avoid any fraudulent transactions. Moreover, her transaction is complex (Transfer naira from Polaris to GTBank , then from GTbank to another person's naira account . This 3rd person lives in UK, so he/she paid for you in Pounds. The Uni only refunds to the account that made payment. This 3rd person's UK account is no longer functioning . Polaris (if they have all these information OP shared) may be wondering why not this 3rd person provide his or her new account details with ID to prove he or she is the same person and owner of both the old and new account. So they (Uni) changed their policy just because of OP's plea (Polaris may think?)
Did she notify Polaris and provide all the evidence to show the legitimacy of the transactions?

12 Likes

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by Tjra: 11:13pm On Nov 29, 2023
EtinosaDLaw:

Descendant of prostitutes don drop response.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by ecolime(m): 11:14pm On Nov 29, 2023
EtinosaDLaw:

Mumu son of Osapolor

Tjra:

Descendant of prostitutes don drop response
shocked grin

Funny enough, na this same Ashewo work their Grandmothers dey do for Isale-Eko those days all the way from Bini.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by Gidigrav(m): 11:14pm On Nov 29, 2023
Sue Polaris Nigeria banks and all has fail us
Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by Cmanforall: 11:21pm On Nov 29, 2023
Ucheamani:

What is your brand?

This is the simple explanation. Surprised people are advising she should call out the bank on all social media. I read all she wrote, amd her transactions are complex. She should contact whoever made the payment for her to reactivate his bank account so she could receive her refund. She should have also added reason this third party's account is no longer functioning

jojothaiv:

So what's the point of refunding then?

Maybe the international AML will shed more light on that too.
It is the Uni that is refunding her money, and not the bank. Now think of it what if it is fraudulent request? I mean someone uses her name to ask the Uni to refund to a different account number?
That is why they always refund to same account number that paid them, so it shows received from account A to our Uni is being paid back to the same account A (which is Refund)

13 Likes

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by seunlayi(m): 11:22pm On Nov 29, 2023
Nigeria banks are just like our politicians

1 Like

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by free2ryhme: 11:25pm On Nov 29, 2023
Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 11:26pm On Nov 29, 2023
I think Polaris bank is only being careful because they must have seen the reason why the money was sent through their route and suspected foul play....

But , are you trying to say that the UK account holder is dead and the account not valid again

How can you send money to such acct from GTB bank only for the account to close

.who owns the UK account actually??

If you don't know, then how did you trust the account that your money won't disappear

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by Blake755: 11:30pm On Nov 29, 2023
Na so Access bank do me i opened a fixed deposit account with the hope that i will be paid for saving with them i deposited 100k only for them to be debiting me ooo omo am yet to receive anything tomorrow i wan go there go close the account very rubbish bank

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by LAXconfidential(m): 11:36pm On Nov 29, 2023
Blake755:
Na so Access bank do me i opened a fixed deposit account with the hope that i will be paid for saving with them i deposited 100k only for them to be debiting me ooo omo am yet to receive anything tomorrow i wan go there go close the account very rubbish bank
Re: Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse by LAXconfidential(m): 11:37pm On Nov 29, 2023
ArcSEMPECJ:
I think Polaris bank is only being careful because they must have seen the reason why the money was sent through their route and suspected foul play....

But , are you trying to say that the UK account holder is dead and the account not valid again

How can you send money to such acct from GTB bank only for the account to close

.who owns the UK account actually??

If you don't know, then how did you trust the account that your money won't disappear

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A 400 Level Student Of TASUED Was Suspended For Leading A Peaceful Protest / Unilag. Postgraduate Application Forms, Any News? / NASU, Others Begin Indefinite Strike Action

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.