Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,315 members, 7,836,372 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me (973 Views)

Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job / Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job / I Regret Laminating My O'level Original Certificate. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Ammmy: 4:09am On Nov 30, 2023
I'm about to start a petty trading that people who haven't seen the 4 walls of university or even secondary school do. When I was 16 and finished secondary school, I got a job and was seeing some small change. My parents told me to start preparing for jamb. I never had interest in going to University. I told them I'm not interested in going to school. That I want to just continue working and get married. They called me all sorts of names like mumu, dondy, goat etc. It's like I foresaw my future. It's been 13 years since I graduated and yet nothing to show for it. No graduate job no nothing. I see people at the bustop doing petty trading and making their money with ease but I can't join them. Even my marriage decision was affected because if you aren't a graduate, then u re not suitable for me. This has kept me in my father's house for years. The thought of being a graduate keeps holding me down. I would have been more richer and even married to a better man by now. What has school done for me? Nothing! Absolutely nothing!

2 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Richfan: 9:19am On Nov 30, 2023
Just hold on , I understand how you feel but God can turn your story around... Just be close to him and ask him for directions. I know it's very frustrating

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by sammirano: 9:25am On Nov 30, 2023
Ammmy:
I'm about to start a petty trading that people who haven't seen the 4 walls of university or even secondary school do. When I was 16 and finished secondary school, I got a job and was seeing some small change. My parents told me to start preparing for jamb. I never had interest in going to University. I told them I'm not interested in going to school. That I want to just continue working and get married. They called me all sorts of names like mumu, dondy, goat etc. It's like I foresaw my future. It's been 13 years since I graduated and yet nothing to show for it. No graduate job no nothing. I see people at the bustop doing petty trading and making their money with ease but I can't join them. Even my marriage decision was affected because if you aren't a graduate, then u re not suitable for me. This has kept me in my father's house for years. The thought of being a graduate keeps holding me down. I would have been more richer and even married to a better man by now. What has school done for me? Nothing! Absolutely nothing!

Even my marriage decision was affected because if you aren't a graduate, then u re not suitable for me. -- This is very wrong mindset

2 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Think9ja(m): 9:43am On Nov 30, 2023
We're such a disoriented society, Nigeria. No president can come now and change this mindset

School is actually not for everyone.
Thousands of graduates every year with zero plans for them.

Funny thing is those that are doing handwork now are mostly those whose parents couldn't afford to sponsor their education.

Today, they are balling and we are still editing CVs left, right and centre.

8 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by subcbouy: 10:51am On Nov 30, 2023
Many people are in your shoes, but wouldnt speak out. The fact that you speak your mind, I will say: it is well with you. You will smile in the end in Jesus' name.

2 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Ammmy: 11:08am On Nov 30, 2023
subcbouy:
Many people are in your shoes, but wouldnt speak out. The fact that you speak your mind, I will say: it is well with you. You will smile in the end in Jesus' name.
Amen

2 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Jokerman(m): 1:13pm On Nov 30, 2023
Bro...

God's on your side.

Enter street. Learn a skill if possible. Try agent Job (Selling of items as an affiliate etc) to keep body and soul together for now...

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by TimiRume(f): 2:03pm On Nov 30, 2023
Me I just need 100k now to Kickstart my business. I was into buying and selling before I got a white collar job. Used all my savings for Tfare and the periods I wasn't paid, only for me to realize the company isn't financially strong to continue paying staff. I just regretted. I should have just faced the small business I was doing. But in all things I give God thanks. Even in the dungeon, I praise him still.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by soccerlite: 5:32pm On Nov 30, 2023
That year you went to school, nigeria wasn't this damaged

And your parents didn't envisage

Cos I believe most parents wouldn't force their children to go to school nowadays

If a parent don't have connections, business, or abroad link and you forcing your ward to school in nowadays nigeria - that's wicked

Not even in this era of distance learning etc

May God show you Grace. Amen
Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by U1(m): 6:17pm On Nov 30, 2023
Keep hope alive, sis. I really understand how you feel. There are many other people in the same shoes in this country.

I heard a man lamenting on radio this morning that even PhD graduates were finding it hard to get jobs.

Sometimes, graduating from a higher institution can appear like a "setup." Many graduates find it hard to go back and start learning trades that they didn't opt for originally and that doesn't require higher education.

However, please reconsider the idea of not wanting to marry a non-graduate. Being a graduate does not mean a person is wise or right-thinking, as the general elections of this year showed.
Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Inntos: 10:32pm On Nov 30, 2023
✔ HOW TO BE ALWAYS HAPPY IN LIFE. READ THIS AWESOME LIFE TIPS.
1. Always remember that there is nobody on this earth that does not have problems. You are not the only one that has problems.
2. Challenges is part of life. It is only a dead man that has no challenges.
3. There is no problem that has no solution. There are solutions to the pains you are passing through.
4. The way you picture yourself in your mind can affect your happiness. Picture yourself as a valuable and beautiful person. Avoid low self esteem and inferiority complex.
5. Do not mind about what people say about you. Some people are sadists. They can just say somethings just to make you feel sad.
6. Make friends with reasonable people who make you happy. Do not make friends with people who make jest of you or laugh at you over your challenges.
7. At your leisure time, keep yourself busy with your favorite hobbies like sports, games, watching movies, surfing the internet, playing computer games, etc.
8. Do not allow anyone to intimidate you with money and material things. A poor man today can become rich tomorrow. Change is constant.
9. No matter what you are passing through today, do not give up. As long as there is life, there is hope.
10. Be very prayerful. Pray without ceasing. Prayer is a catalyst that can speed up your blessings to come to you on time.
11. Be courageous to go for what you want. Life is all about risk. If you don't take a risk, you will not get the desires of your heart.

Never change your originality for the sake of others. Because no one can play your role better than you.
You are the best. So be yourself...

HAVE A NICE LIFE.

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Nobody: 10:44pm On Nov 30, 2023
sammirano:

Even my marriage decision was affected because if you aren't a graduate, then u re not suitable for me. -- This is very wrong mindset
There is nothing wrong with that mindset please.
Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Gaspardd(m): 1:41am On Dec 01, 2023
I finished with 3rd class from OAU 2013. That was cuz I was into many things in school.
I was into skating, taekwondo, swimming, student union stuffs. That really grounded me for the outside world.

2013- 2016, no job...was a shop keeper.
2016 - 2018... Was surviving btw odd jobs. And strong believer in God expecting miracle.
2019 - 2021.. Came to Lagos with 2 clothes, learnt pipe welding.
2022- till date...been to like 6 States for diff works and currently in the North.

For me, school wasn't a waste after all. Cuz I learnt lot about social skills and being concious about learning new things; so when I Came to Lagos, I saw opportunities and the instinct kicked in.
Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Emma1Oj(m): 4:04pm On Dec 03, 2023
If God has given us the ability to see our next day or future clear to know how things will turn out, most of us will never ever listen to our parents. We will even fight them for trying to force us do what we don't intend to.

Most of them base their decision on"what will pple say abt them"

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by MOG6670(m): 7:10am On Mar 24
TimiRume:
Me I just need 100k now to Kickstart my business. I was into buying and selling before I got a white collar job. Used all my savings for Tfare and the periods I wasn't paid, only for me to realize the company isn't financially strong to continue paying staff. I just regretted. I should have just faced the small business I was doing. But in all things I give God thanks. Even in the dungeon, I praise him still.
hello! Have u started your business, what busines are u into?
Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by TimiRume(f): 12:53pm On Mar 24
MOG6670:
hello! Have u started your business, what busines are u into?
Hi! Good afternoon. Thank you for asking. I used to buy and sell male and female wears. I buy wholesale and then go to schools mostly to sell to students and sometimes companies, to workers.

(1) (Reply)

House Help Me Out / Inter'tal Bank Test Format? Help-out Please! / Computing Vacancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.