Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? (8675 Views)

Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 / The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by cutecommend: 8:50pm On Nov 30, 2023
What language does members of your family speak often to each other?

(a) Pidgin English
(b) Polished English language
(c) Your Tribal language.
(d) Sign language

etc.

7 Likes

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Jeon(f): 8:56pm On Nov 30, 2023
(a) Pidgin English

(d) Hausa.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Nov 30, 2023
(c) My tribal language.

But my fiance speaks to me in Sotho and I speak to him in Sepedi.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Little21: 12:13am On Dec 01, 2023
(c) Tribal language

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Mindlog: 12:59am On Dec 01, 2023
Igbo.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by duduade: 8:10am On Dec 01, 2023
English

2 Likes

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Oizee(f): 10:06am On Dec 01, 2023
FuckingMachine:
Sign language

Popsy stares at you, you coordinate.
Momsy stares at you, you shut up.
Sister stares at you, you return the remote.
Brother stares at you, you leave the room for he & gf.
wow, you received ur training well.
The day I gave my son some signs while we were in someone's house, he embarrassed me o, he said "mummy why are you doing your eyes like that and are u telling me to shut up?"

I kept cool until we got home to discipline him.

110 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by mariahAngel(f): 10:12am On Dec 01, 2023
Oizee:
The day I gave my son some signs while we were in someone's house, he embarrassed me o, he said "mummy why are you doing your eyes like that and are u telling me to shut up?"

Hahahahahahahahaha gringrin🤣🤣

36 Likes

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Nobody: 10:31am On Dec 01, 2023
Maybe you should have started giving him the look at home whenever you wanted him to keep quiet.

My mom also has this "shut up" look she'd give me whenever we're with people and she wants me to shut up.

She'd look at me with a smile and blink her eyes twice or thrice, then I'd know that I must shut up... Her face would be looking happy while her eyes would be angry... grin grin grin
Oizee:

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by legitnow1: 10:55am On Dec 01, 2023
Samantha124:
(c) My tribal language.

But my fiance speaks to me in Sotho and I speak to him in Sepedi.

Please post your pics, i feel like, i need to see my wife?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Oizee(f): 1:49pm On Dec 01, 2023
Samantha124:
Maybe you should have started giving him the look at home whenever you wanted him to keep quiet.

My mom also has this "shut up" look she'd give me whenever we're with people and she wants me to shut up.

She'd look at me with a smile and blink her eyes twice or thrice, then I'd know that I must shut up... Her face would be looking happy while her eyes would be angry... grin grin grin
lol@face looking happy while her eyes would be angry.

Don't mind that my boy, the older one understand these signs very well but my second hmmm

8 Likes

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by seuncyrus(m): 1:58pm On Dec 01, 2023
Can you imagine how funny this is, Africans discussing what language is spoken in their homes. Will an European or Middle Eastern be discussing what language they speak in their homes?

The Africans have been conquered, they name their children after the whiteman, talk like the whiteman, dress like the whiteman, worship his gods and aspire to be like him

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by ryloy: 1:58pm On Dec 01, 2023
Yoruba first
English Second
Sign language Third

12 Likes

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Fountainofyouth(f): 1:59pm On Dec 01, 2023
Hausa First
Yoruba Second
Then English

Born and bred in Kano.

12 Likes

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by inoki247: 1:59pm On Dec 01, 2023
Lol add sign Language

And all doz Bombastic Side eyes Language....
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Emeskhalifa(m): 1:59pm On Dec 01, 2023
Hausa and English

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Obakoolex(m): 1:59pm On Dec 01, 2023
undecided We often speak in tongues to eachother

8 Likes

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Probz(m): 2:00pm On Dec 01, 2023
Is it not Igbo and English? b, c.

Hausa, Yoruba and Igala have also been spoken by various members (on my mum’s side) but that’s different. When you have to flee to Idah or Bauchi during the Biafran war and fall-out of it, you’re going to pick up at least a bit of the local lect. Coupled with the fact that my grandma (maternal) was from Umuzocha (the Awka village that has the most Igala connection, or at least one of the most), so she was already inclined to speak Igala as well as Igbo. English not so much. She wasn’t so good in English but she was okay.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by UncleAyo: 2:01pm On Dec 01, 2023
Rustic Yoruba Language is our only means of communication in my family.

I once wrote this:

Yoruba Race: You are being manipulated if you do any these 11

One thing about manipulation is that the person being manipulated will think everything is Ok and that he or she is doing the right thing. Here are 11 signs to know whether you are being manipulated as a Yoruba human.

#1. You revoke your Yoruba name because it has one of the Orishas in it: Whether it’s your pastor that convinced you by giving you some spiritual excuses or its because you want to travel out of Nigeria, one way or the other you are been manipulated.

#2. You see Yoruba religion as idolatry: all the world religion is idolatry, including all the Abrahamic religion: Christianity, Islam, name it. For a religion to be idolatry, there must be (a). items of worship or of reference to deity like pictures or statutes e.g. the cross, Kaaba of the Bedouin tribes; (b). religion rituals such as the killing of rams, Holy communion; and then (c). Human-God reference or representative and or messenger.

#3. You totally believe the slave trade narration as better explanation for the appearance of the Yoruba race all over the world: This is a lie that we are been told again and again. Yoruba are believed to be part of the pre-Columbia American.

#4. You derogatory call the Yoruba language “vernacular” and shun children and young adult from speaking it: The word "vernacular" in itself is not a negative word as it is simply can mean "indigenous language of a people". If a people are prevented from speaking their language, then who will?

#5. You do not have many Yoruba traditional wears: If you think that putting on of Yoruba cloth will make you look less "corporate", and you don't really care about acquiring Yoruba traditional outfit, you may need to have a rethink about your heritage and start taking deliberate effort about this.

#6. You prefer foreign music to Yoruba: non Yoruba music are all good, in fact you can get spiritual and entertained through music, but manipulation set in when you start making illogical preference to non-Yoruba music and think music about Yoruba Orisha, culture and tradition are bad.

#7. You cannot recite some of the Yoruba poems and rhymes: Poems and rhymes are part of your cultural identity. The poems were created to teach morals and inculcate the Omoluabi character. If you defaulted here, then now is the time not to only start learning but to also teach your children. Teachers in schools should also encourage teaching and memorising of these. Have you seen the beauty of: Toju Iwa, Ise loogun ise, Kini n o fole se laye ti mo wa...

#8. You do not have a Yoruba name or you hate being called by your Yoruba name.

#9. You name your children many non-Yoruba name and prefer to call them by their non-Yoruba names: This is also a sign of been manipulated.

#10. Your children cannot speak Yoruba: They speak other language fluently but you frowning at them whenever they speak Yoruba is inferiority complex and a sign of been manipulated. This is not even in the Yoruba gene. 'A complete child' should be taught to speak not only foreign language fluently but also Yoruba.

#11. You think that explaining of concepts with Yoruba in schools is bad: how better will a student understand than when tough concepts are explained using the student's native language.

11 Likes

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by ejimatic: 2:01pm On Dec 01, 2023
cutecommend:
What language does members of your family speak often to each other?

(a) Pidgin English
(d) Sign language

etc.
Yoruba language

5 Likes

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by oluwaseyi0: 2:01pm On Dec 01, 2023
Yoruba

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by wunmi590(m): 2:02pm On Dec 01, 2023

(a) Pidgin English (I don't speak this at home because of my kids, I want them to grow up and learn it themsleves after they might have polished their English speaking)

(b) Polished English language (Often because of my kids)

(c) Tribal language (Often also because I want my kids to learn our tribal language so that they won't be looking like dummy, when somebody is speaking it to them outside)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by meum: 2:02pm On Dec 01, 2023
In most Nigeria homes it’s sign language. One look/stare is more than a thousand words.

2 Likes

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by NobleAngell(f): 2:03pm On Dec 01, 2023
We speak polished normal English. I think it started from when we were kids my dad was always conscious of our spoken English and it continued. Till today that's what we speak asking my siblings, I and my parents.
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by CalabarPikin: 2:04pm On Dec 01, 2023
Pidgin oohh with siblings and native language with parents but we still dey carry first for class
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Officialmrt: 2:04pm On Dec 01, 2023
FuckingMachine:
Sign language

Popsy stares at you, you coordinate.
Momsy stares at you, you shut up.
Sister stares at you, you return the remote.
Brother stares at you, you leave the room for he & gf.

cheesy grin
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Resetinc: 2:05pm On Dec 01, 2023
English language is prohibited in my household … even my newborn daughter na our native ethnic dialect we use talk to am…

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by ShinjaWWest: 2:05pm On Dec 01, 2023
nlfpm2:
MUST READ IF you live in ŃIGERIA you must watch the video below that shows how to survive and escape on chance robbèry in Nigeria, DON’T say you were not warned o

[b]PLEASE[/b]STAY SAFE OUT THERE

Must u post this rubbish every where

6 Likes

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by marlow1962(m): 2:05pm On Dec 01, 2023
General local language (pigin English) and ibo.
We only speak English when we have visitors who can't understand our language.

I love to learn Yoruba and Hausa language .

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? / Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? / Ikwerre Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.