Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,184 members, 7,818,592 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? (8684 Views)

Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 / The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Lumig: 2:07pm On Dec 01, 2023
wink
Tribal Language
English Language
Eye/Body Language
Pidgin no get place in my family at all at all grin
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Nwaokunkpara: 2:07pm On Dec 01, 2023
Igbo Ngwa precisely

One of the popular sign language in our home used to be my mother eying you.... You know that look that tells you that you are in trouble 😂😂😂😂
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Greenfaces: 2:11pm On Dec 01, 2023
Jeon:
(a) Pidgin English

(b) Polished English language

(c) Your Tribal language.

(d) Hausa.
Kana ina yenzu
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Dotmanq: 2:13pm On Dec 01, 2023
Pure English
Tribal Language
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Onyiiobi7735(m): 2:15pm On Dec 01, 2023
In my family,we speak exclusively in Igbo language to each other and we are proud of it.
However as an individual,I snub Igbos who speak English to their fellow Igbos, because to me,they act like inferiority complex humans.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by JuanWilmore: 2:15pm On Dec 01, 2023
In our family, language is like a vibrant tapestry woven with threads of diverse cultures. We embrace a beautiful mix of languages, creating a unique symphony of communication. From the rhythmic cadence of our native tongue to the poetic expressions of a second language, every conversation is a celebration of our rich cultural heritage. It's a daily reminder that language is not just a tool for communication but a bridge that connects us to our roots and to each other. Cheers to the linguistic kaleidoscope within our family!

2 Likes

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Sleekfingers: 2:15pm On Dec 01, 2023
1. Yoruba mandatory
2. English
3. French - - I speak fluent French, my second and last kids are learning French, so I speak it to them often.

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by xukwaa: 2:19pm On Dec 01, 2023
Pigin
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Justiceleague1: 2:19pm On Dec 01, 2023
Yoruba
Benin
English

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Olufemiolaolu(m): 2:20pm On Dec 01, 2023
Yoruba of cos
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by GoodRocks: 2:21pm On Dec 01, 2023
Samantha124:
(c) My tribal language.

But my fiance speaks to me in Sotho and I speak to him in Sepedi.

Stop typing rubbish here. This is a Nigerian forum not your slave black South Africa forum

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Khafsun: 2:22pm On Dec 01, 2023
seuncyrus:
Can you imagine how funny this is, Africans discussing what language is spoken in their homes. Will an European or Middle Eastern be discussing what language they speak in their homes?

The Africans have been conquered, they name their children after the whiteman, talk like the whiteman, dress like the whiteman, worship his gods and aspire to be like him
And you're preaching this in your own father's language àbi

3 Likes

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by theamazonguru(m): 2:23pm On Dec 01, 2023
Oizee:
wow, you received ur training well.
The day I gave my son some signs while we were in someone's house, he embarrassed me o, he said "mummy why are you doing your eyes like that and are u telling me to shut up?"

I kept cool until we got home to discipline him.

This shit right here happened to one of my cuties in the UK, Same scenerio, same response.
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Tajbol4splend(m): 2:25pm On Dec 01, 2023
Nigbati mi o ya were, maa se maa so ede mii yato si Ijesa

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by legitnow1: 2:28pm On Dec 01, 2023
GO0DHardDick:

Stop typing rubbish here. This is a Nigerian forum not your slave black South Africa forum

Take your time, na Samantha124 dey catchy my shot oOO...

Leave my wife.
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by sylve11: 2:28pm On Dec 01, 2023
Oizee:
wow, you received ur training well.
The day I gave my son some signs while we were in someone's house, he embarrassed me o, he said "mummy why are you doing your eyes like that and are u telling me to shut up?"

I kept cool until we got home to discipline him.

You aren't doing a proper job. cheesy cool

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by sylve11: 2:29pm On Dec 01, 2023
seuncyrus:
Can you imagine how funny this is, Africans discussing what language is spoken in their homes. Will an European or Middle Eastern be discussing what language they speak in their homes?

The Africans have been conquered, they name their children after the whiteman, talk like the whiteman, dress like the whiteman, worship his gods and aspire to be like him

What's your point here? cool
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by FashionCookie(f): 2:29pm On Dec 01, 2023
Ibibio with popc.
Yoruba, Pidgin and Ibibio with with mumc and my sisters.

2 Likes

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Thazard(m): 2:30pm On Dec 01, 2023
FuckingMachine:
Sign language

Popsy stares at you, you coordinate. Momsy stares at you, you shut up. Sister stares at you, you return the remote. Brother stares at you, you leave the room for he & gf.
cheesycheesycheesy
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Neckpresser101: 2:31pm On Dec 01, 2023
cutecommend:
What language does members of your family speak often to each other?

(a) Pidgin English
(b) Polished English language
(c) Your Tribal language.
(d) Sign language

etc.

English

Igbo
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Zhunnurayn(m): 2:33pm On Dec 01, 2023
We speak Dazzaga, our tribal language of Chad roots. We are guran(shi arab)

Ko bin anuw, nara wasara, kallaã ìnchêno grin

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by NJV: 2:36pm On Dec 01, 2023
UncleAyo:
Rustic Yoruba Language is our only means of communication in my family.

I once wrote this:

Yoruba Race: You are being manipulated if you do any these 11

One thing about manipulation is that the person being manipulated will think everything is Ok and that he or she is doing the right thing. Here are 11 signs to know whether you are being manipulated as a Yoruba human.

Oh you forgot...
#12 - you use the white man's internet

@Topic - Ibo, English, and pidgin
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Gamesmart: 2:38pm On Dec 01, 2023
seuncyrus:

Don't mind them.

Many useless parents have children who only speak English and they feel cool about it, despite both parents are from same tribe and/or they live in a city where one tribal language is lingua franca that the kids cannot speak.

The worst I can think about are families where both parents are Yoruba (or both speak Yoruba well even if one is not Yoruba) and they live in Lagos. Yet their children can only speak English. FOOOOOLS! Baboon brains!

The only people I can excuse a little bit are parents who are of different tribes and separate tongues, who are raising kids in a place like Warri or Port Harcourt where the lingua franca is pidgin English. That one might be hard to get the child to speak any local language.

3 Likes

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Focusmind: 2:39pm On Dec 01, 2023
English!

But I am trying hard to make my kids understand the Igbo language. I just couldn't wrap my mind on how I missed that important part of their social and native language ability. Sadly, the private school system in Lagos is making it harder for pupils to understand and speak their mother tongue. I am always excited when I see "Gen Z" kids speak their native language with their parents. I just don't know the obsession of speaking English to our kids. My parents never spoke English to us while we were growing up but I can challenge any native speaker of the language in English language. Sad that I wasn't much around during my kids earlier years, I would have started speaking Igbo to them at that time.

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Gamesmart: 2:39pm On Dec 01, 2023
Fountainofyouth:
Hausa First
Yoruba Second
Then English

Born and bred in Kano.

Nice.

I am assuming you are of Yoruba heritage then?
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by TUTU147: 2:40pm On Dec 01, 2023
FuckingMachine:
Sign language

Popsy stares at you, you coordinate.
Momsy stares at you, you shut up.
Sister stares at you, you return the remote.
Brother stares at you, you leave the room for he & gf.
Family of code, you don't need to wait for explanation.

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Gamesmart: 2:41pm On Dec 01, 2023
Resetinc:
English language is prohibited in my household … even my newborn daughter na our native ethnic dialect we use talk to am…

Your head is very correct.

May God bless you!

2 Likes

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Emyzoloye5(m): 2:42pm On Dec 01, 2023
We speak igbo, igbo and igbo.....English has no place in my family, my mum will gift you a heavy slap if you speak english while at home...
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Gamesmart: 2:42pm On Dec 01, 2023
marlow1962:
General local language (pigin English) and ibo.
We only speak English when we have visitors who can't understand our language.

I love to learn Yoruba and Hausa language .

Onyiiobi7735:
In my family,we speak exclusively in Igbo language to each other and we are proud of it.
However as an individual,I snub Igbos who speak English to their fellow Igbos, because to me,they act like inferiority complex humans.

Tajbol4splend:
Nigbati mi o ya were, maa se maa so ede mii yato si Ijesa

FashionCookie:
Ibibio with popc.
Yoruba, Pidgin and Ibibio with with mumc and my sisters.

Zhunnurayn:
We speak Dazzaga, our tribal language of Chad roots. We are guran(shi arab)

Ko bin anuw, nara wasara, kallaã ìnchêno grin

Emyzoloye5:
We speak igbo, igbo and igbo.....English has no place in my family, my mum will gift you a heavy slap if you speak english while at home...

Emyzoloye5:

Your heads are correct!

3 Likes

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by TUTU147: 2:45pm On Dec 01, 2023
Me and my wife use our native language igbo,but my children want to start speaking urhobo for us.Anyway,I love the fact that my children can understand my language and also communicate in any language outside my language.We are nigerians and we should promote the language of our host, urhobo waboooo.

1 Like

Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by Cancri: 2:46pm On Dec 01, 2023
Only pigin English ooh.
My mama no get time for tribal language.
Re: What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? by AbujaLagos: 2:47pm On Dec 01, 2023
Yoruba
Hausa
Ebira
&
A touch of Igbo.

Na we be wazobia family

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? / Kanuri People / Would You Obey Tradition And Allow Your Wife Appear Like This On Your TM Day 18+

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.