Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,284 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos (14152 Views)

You Don’t Know History’, Asari-dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos / Asari Dokubo Slams Tinubu Over 'Lopsided Appointments' (Video) / Asari Dokubo Slams Nnamdi Kanu Over 2019 Elections, Blasts 'Buhari Double' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by Eriokanmi: 10:41am On Dec 01, 2023
Wickedtruths:
The Oba of Benin just dey collect free education left and right grin
Can one say what the oba said was wrong or he didn't go to school?

They were just overheating everything, which wasn't even necessary. The below was what need to be taken home, from what the oba had said...

Eko (now lagos island) was once a bini's territory. Which was a fact.

He also said, just a fraction of lagos( Eko which is now Lagos Island), not the entire lagos of today. Which was another fact.

I think that was clear enough. The oba didn't say bini owned lagos as maintained by some olodos who just wanted to achieve some relevance. It would be foolish of anyone to say bini owned or created the today's lagos state. Where would that person put the aworis who occupied the vast part of the mainland, the Ijebus who occupied the ikorodu, down to Epe and the Eguns? He was referring to Lagos Island and he made this clear. Till today, bini signs and relics are still on lagos island and inside the oba of lagos Palace . Some words like Iga, eko, idumagbo, idunganran, etc are still there as streets and compound till date. I really don't know where the man had gone wrong.
Once that oba died, they'd take him to bini to Bury. All the regalia of traditional rulers on the lagos island till today, and other parts of today's lagos by extension, including their caps, are similar to those worn by bini chiefs and their oba till today.

That eko (now lagos island) was once bini territory doesn't make it a bini land. Yoruba owns it, 100%. All the needless arguments should just stop. They're misinterpreting this man jare.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by Pristine664: 10:41am On Dec 01, 2023
DrMuzungu:
This fat orobo terrorist should not discuss something he doesn't understand. Let him stick to what he knows best: Terrorism.

Asari is on the side of truth.

1 Like

Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by Wickedtruths: 10:45am On Dec 01, 2023
Eriokanmi:
Can one say what the oba said was wrong or he didn't go to school?

They were just overheating everything, which wasn't even necessary. The below was what need to be taken home, from what the oba had said...

Eko (now lagos island) was once a bini's territory. Which was a fact.

He also said, just a fraction of lagos( Eko which is now Lagos Island), not the entire lagos of today. Which was another fact.

I think that was clear enough. The oba didn't say bini owned lagos as maintained by some olodos who just wanted to achieve some relevance. It would be foolish of anyone to say bini owned or created the today's lagos state. Where would that person put the aworis who occupied the vast part of the mainland, the Ijebus who occupied the ikorodu, down to Epe and the Eguns? He was referring to Lagos Island and he made this clear. Till today, bini signs and relics are still on lagos island and inside the oba of lagos Palace . Some words like Iga, eko, idumagbo, idunganran, etc are still there as streets and compound till date. I really don't know where the man had gone wrong.
Once that oba died, they'd take him to bini to Bury. All the regalia of traditional rulers on the lagos island till today, and other parts of today's lagos by extension, including their caps, are similar to those worn by bini chiefs and their oba till today.

That eko (now lagos island) was once bini territory doesn't make it a bini land. Yoruba owns it, 100%. All the needless arguments should just stop. They're misinterpreting this man jare.

The Oba of Benin is known for being a loose-talker. The problem with such character flaw is that people will tear you to shreds because you have used your mouth to give them the opportunity to do so.

Another thing is the retributive angle. Last election, Bini people made it a favourite habit to insult Yoruba traditional and political leaders. They decided to stupidly follow those senseless yamrees who have no future. Some see this as an opportunity to reciprocate the unkind gestures of those misguided Bini people.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by Pristine664: 10:45am On Dec 01, 2023
IkpuMmadu:

That dude is right bro Igbo people never lost territory they gained

The Aro-Ibibio Wars were a series of conflicts between the Aro people (subgroup of the Igbo) and a Ibibio in present-day Southeastern Nigeria at Ibom Kingdom from 1630 to 1902. These wars led to the foundation of the Arochukwu kingdom

Before Igbo arrival in the Aro territory, a group of proto Ibibio migrated to the area and established the Ibom Kingdom during the Bantu expansion. This proto Ibibio group originally came from Usak Edet (Isanguele), a segment of the Ejagham in present-day Southern Cameroon. The Eze Agwu clan from Abiriba, initiated Igbo migration into the region around the mid-17th century. The Ibibio clan welcomed all until some started rebelling against the ruling house. The Eze Awgu group who lead the rebellion against the ruling family aligned with several outside forces like the Priest Nnachi from the Edda group near Afikpo, was called by their king Awgu Inobia (Eze Agwu) for help. When he arrived, Nnachi and Eze Agwu allied with prince Akakpokpo Okon of the Ibibio kingdom of Ibom Kingdom. Akakpokpo Okon was the son of a marriage between an Igbo woman of the Eze Agwu clan and the King Obong Okon Ita in an attempt of a peace treaty for a war that have been fought between the Igbo subgroup and Ibibio. The Eze Agwu/Nnachi faction decided to help Akakpokpo attempt to overthrow his brother king Akpan Okon.[1]

Aro Confederacy, and its far reaching Influence
The coup was heavily resisted which called for even more help. Through Nnachi, an Eastern Cross river group answered the call for help. They were known as the Akpa who were living at today Akwa Akpa before the arrival of the Efik people in that region. These warriors and traders, may have had European guns which were new to the territory. Being the Igbo allies, the Akpas were led by the royal Nnubi family. Osim and Akuma Nnubi led Akpa soldiers to help fight against the ruling household. Together with Igbo forces and rebels, they fought against the Ibom Kingdom forces (1690). During the final battles, Osim Nnubi was slain in Oror city state making it the capital of Arochukwu. At the end of the war, Osim and Akakpokpo were dead. In order to honor Osim's legacy, his brother Akuma was crowned the first EzeAro (king). After his death, Nnachi's descendants took the throne starting with his first son Oke Nnachi. The Arochukwu kingdom, was founded

Tales by moonlight...

Trash! grin

1 Like

Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by Wickedtruths: 10:53am On Dec 01, 2023
Pristine664:

Tales by moonlight...
Trash! grin

The guy is a fool. He's saying Igbos didn't lose territory. What did they want to lose when Niger state alone is more than 2 times the size of the entire Igboland.
We don't conquer them, we choose their leaders for them and they do our bidding. Indirect rule is what we use to administer them.
They are foolish but they don't know.
Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by kokomilala(m): 11:05am On Dec 01, 2023
@ariesbull, your argument is too narrow. Those names have little to do with nationhood. Marco Polo, Vasco Da Gama, Amerigo Vespucci, whose first name, America emerged from, Sir Walter Raleigh etc, were all explorers. They explored, but didn't colonise the lands they discovered. California is a Spanish word, so is Los Angeles, the city of angels. Spaniards never make claims they founded or own the US, as some tribes are irresponsibly doing here.

People are just too mentally lazy to study. So, in most cases, rely on their received knowledge from beer palour.

2 Likes

Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by IkpuMmadu: 11:07am On Dec 01, 2023
Pristine664:

Tales by moonlight...

Trash! grin

It's painful ...it's not right that Igbo fought and took over other tribes land

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aro-Ibibio_Wars
Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by IkpuMmadu: 11:09am On Dec 01, 2023
Pristine664:

Tales by moonlight...

Trash! grin

During the early 19th century, the Eastern Igbo subgroups located in Ebonyi State underwent a significant migration towards the Cross River areas, this in turn manifested in boundary disputes between several Eastern Igbo groups with her neighbours such as Ikwo-Nsobo and Osopo of Cross River State, Izzi – Osopo and Yala of Cross River State and Mgbo-Igala of Benue State. A similar migration skirmish towards Abia State in the 17th century established the Aro Confederacy. As the Ezza, Izzi, Ikwo subgroups moved northward, all who are said to descend from siblings whose patriarch hailed from Afikpo, the Ezza ecountered the indigenous Orri people and protected them from extinction in exchange for farming rights. The Ikwo people encountered the Okum and annihilated then assimilated the rest of them, the Okum do not exist as an identifiable group anymore but there is archeological and cultural proof of their existence, as there are non-Igbo dances and masquerades in modern Ikwo culture. The southern Ikwo displaced the indigenous Adadama group far to modern Cross River State.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo%E2%80%93Igala_wars
Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by joefelin2345: 11:09am On Dec 01, 2023
Easylife1234:
Every body founded Lagos. Who's found Ogbomosho?
You of course. Ewu, EFI.
Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by IkpuMmadu: 11:10am On Dec 01, 2023
Pristine664:

Tales by moonlight...

Trash! grin

Igbo Conflict with Igala
edit
As the Igala already lived in the area with the Orri they sought friendship with the Ezza and gave them land for farming. However, betrayed by the Ezza whose true intent was expansion and to address their ongoing land scarcity. It led to a conflict between the two groups, resulting in the Igala's defeat and expulsion from their occupied territory which the Ezza then took control of. The Agba community, located in Ebo Ndiagu, Ochuhu Agba, and Orie Agba Elu, faced defeat as the Ezza's territory expanded. Some rallied, but despite putting up a spirited but brief defense, the Agba were compelled to retreat southwards, leaving their abandoned lands to be later settled by Umunwagu and Ikwuate (Idembia). Seeking safety and security, the Agba people sought refuge in Ishielu Division, departing from their original mainland settlements. The Ezza met them again in 1850 and again conquered and displaced the remnants, naming the new territory Ezzagu.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo%E2%80%93Igala_wars
Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by IkpuMmadu: 11:11am On Dec 01, 2023
Wickedtruths:

The guy is a fool. He's saying Igbos didn't lose territory. What did they want to lose when Niger state alone is more than 2 times the size of the entire Igboland.
We don't conquer them, we choose their leaders for them and they do our bidding. Indirect rule is what we use to administer them.
They are foolish but they don't know.

LoL

The last thing any person will do is to impose leadership on Igbo

These guys are super tough! People that fought the whole nation !
Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by IkpuMmadu: 11:13am On Dec 01, 2023
ariesbull:
Fatty always putting mouth everywhere !

Very noisy

Eko is a benin word
Idumagbo is a Benin word
Idumota is a Benin word
Obanikoro is a Benin word
Oshodi isn't a Yoruba word

Why do people argue a lot! The pointers are there ...Lagos island was founded by Benin folks .... Even the Island king said it years ago

...but mark my words, they will deflect and leave Oba and bring in Igbo here....

You know Igbo are like gods...they have hands in everything they do

Hmmmm well I have been following your ist and you are right in a way
Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by Saltinny: 11:13am On Dec 01, 2023
Chai look at the way Yorubas are looking for validation from everywhere, remains small they will post a comment and source where mad validate Lagos belong to Yorubas. Spit
Bini King was honest and straight forward with what he said and if any miscreant is unhappy about it then he or she should head to court. Over to you Ronu miscreants. Lagos is founded by the Great Binis.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by Saltinny: 11:16am On Dec 01, 2023
IkpuMmadu:

Hmmmm well I have been following your ist and you are right in a way

Just watch how Ronu miscreants will twist Eko as Yoruba language. they are bunch of jokers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by Lacash: 11:17am On Dec 01, 2023
Morbeta11:

https://dailytrust.com/you-dont-know-history-asari-dokubo-slams-those-saying-binis-founded-lagos/
Na Lapa Lapa don enter dia brain, besides what more else can u expect from Indomie generation king…Mtcheeew 😁

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by IkpuMmadu: 11:18am On Dec 01, 2023
Saltinny:

Just watch how Ronu miscreants will twist Eko as Yoruba language. they are bunch of jokers
EKO isn't a yorina word we all know that
Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by IkpuMmadu: 11:19am On Dec 01, 2023
Saltinny:
Chai look at the way Yorubas are looking for validation from everywhere, remains small they will post a comment and source where mad validate Lagos belong to Yorubas. Spit
Bini King was honest and straight forward with what he said and if any miscreant is unhappy about it then he or she should head to court. Over to you Ronu miscreants. Lagos is founded by the Great Binis.
the world has seen their folly!
Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by JOemmy(m): 11:32am On Dec 01, 2023
This fat clown don carry the matter for him head oloriburuku.
Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by Dsimmer: 11:56am On Dec 01, 2023
It's quite funny when you hear some things 😂

This was what I stated.

Dsimmer:

Lol. I have come to a stage where I just laugh at some things I hear.

So what was Oba of Bini saying? That Bini jumped over Ogun and Ondo to found Lagos faraway from them? Lol. Like how Lagos' which is Eko, a Yoruba word became Bini? Lol. Or how did Bini jump over Ogun and Ondo to have founded Lagos faraway? 😂

I remembered how Bini tried to lay claim to Oduduwa thus kept saying Oduduwa was their lost Prince, Ekaledehan. Lol. You mean the same Ekaledehan who was yet to be born at the time Oduduwa was already the King in Ife long ago? 😅 Ekaledehan remained in Ughoton till he died. As a matter of fact, the place where Oduduwa descended was mentioned in Ifa. Oke Ora.

Oduduwa predates the whole Bini as a matter of fact📍

I have even come to a stage where I just laugh at some things I hear. Lol.

For example, I sometimes laugh when I hear the Yoruba are cowards blah blah blah. Lol. The democracy that Nigerians are enjoying today, who birthed it? It was Yoruba who birthed it. Yoruba did that all alone!

Like I stated, I've come to a stage where I sometimes laugh at the things I hear. Lol. Take for example, there was these betrayal narrative blah blah blah whenever some talk about Awolowo blah blah blah and I wonder who betray who exactly? Lol. Was it while the sage, Awolowo was in prison and wasn't released after writing several letters until Gowon assumed power and released him and after Awolowo got released by Gowon, Gowon continued to plead for Awolowo help in the war yet Awolowo rather continued to remain neutral until Ojukwu invaded and attacked the Midwest and Southwest? So who betrayed who exactly? Lol. Who's the betrayer if not the person who invaded and attacked the Midwest and Southwest? Or should we even talk about who started the civil war by killing other regional leaders? Or who abolished our true federalism? Lol. There are several things which are hilarious to hear thus I tend to laugh..

Meanwhile, the Oba of Bini doesn't even know his own history to begin with sef. Lol 😂 He should first ask what's the meaning of Bini and also where his "Oba" title and Crown came from.

Anyway, I sometimes take all these as cruise since I know these historical facts however people should know some may not take such provocations as cruise thus may react with insult in retaliation because we're all humans after all.

1 Like

Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by itsene: 11:58am On Dec 01, 2023
FireUpNow:
The Oba of Benin really messed up. He knows nothing about history. We know that the old Bini empire was very powerful but not to the extent of founding Lagos. If the Bini People founded Lagos, so how come the Edo language is not spoken in Lagos like Yoruba and Egun? One thing about this our generation is that we lack reasoning and we call ourselves educated people. Social media has made many to lost their thinking. Oba of Benin goofed big time. He never learned history from his father. This is one of the reasons I fault the removal of history from secondary and primary curriculum.

Oba of Benin is part of your generation?
Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by atobs4real(m): 12:03pm On Dec 01, 2023
Pclemenza:
Lol. He should just direct this to the appropriate person.
He did. Look at the last paragraph
Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by itsene: 12:05pm On Dec 01, 2023
Wickedtruths:

The Oba of Benin is known for being a loose-talker just like Akiolu. The problem with such character flaw is that people will tear you to shreds because you have used your mouth to give them the opportunity to do so.

Another thing is the retributive angle. Last election, Bini people made it a favourite habit to insult Yoruba traditional and political leaders. They decided to stupidly follow those senseless yamrees who have no future. Some see this as an opportunity to reciprocate the unkind gestures of those misguided Bini people.

Fair enough, as long long as you know the matter does not end here.
Reciprocity is continuous. Just remember.
Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by Yorubafather: 12:08pm On Dec 01, 2023
Dsimmer:
It's quite funny when you hear some things 😂

This was what I stated.

You yorubas are very funny, Eko does not the same eko-corn cake you eat everyday. Eko Lagos is Bini language, stop disgracing yourselves on Nairaland

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by Blessed4sure: 12:11pm On Dec 01, 2023
I couldn't care less who founded Lagos.

But giving names to vassal towns you once ruled doesn't necessarily translate to founding such places Bro, if you met people there when you arrived.

For example, Lagos is a Portuguese word, Port Harcourt was named by the British. None of them founded those places.

ariesbull:
Fatty always putting mouth everywhere !

Very noisy

Eko is a benin word
Idumagbo is a Benin word
Idumota is a Benin word
Obanikoro is a Benin word
Oshodi isn't a Yoruba word

Why do people argue a lot! The pointers are there ...Lagos island was founded by Benin folks .... Even the Island king said it years ago

...but mark my words, they will deflect and leave Oba and bring in Igbo here....

You know Igbo are like gods...they have hands in everything they do

1 Like

Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by Wickedtruths: 12:16pm On Dec 01, 2023
itsene:

Fair enough, as long long as you know the matter does not end here.
Reciprocity is continuous. Just remember.

Exactly. That's why you should choose your battles wisely. Don't fight those bigger than you.

You guys are crying but when you were insulting Yoruba leaders, you felt only you had monopoly of madness. I really hope you follow those yamrees who are your partners in insulting Yorubas.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by Dsimmer: 12:18pm On Dec 01, 2023
Yorubafather:

You yorubas are very funny, Eko does not the same eko-corn cake you eat everyday. Eko Lagos is Bini language, stop disgracing yourselves on Nairaland

One brain dead goat. Who are you to tell me Yoruba while also insulting me? Na craze? Eko means swamp in Yoruba language!

2 Likes

Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by Gajagojo: 12:26pm On Dec 01, 2023
BigBlackPreek:
Benin occupied the riverine area of Lagos back then but not founders.... The Oba of Benin already clarified his statement
Occupied? How
What does that mean
What did it look like
How many?What year and for how long

Don't make vague and meaningless statements
What do you mean by Riverine? What River?

What you have said is untreated meaningless
Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by OlawaleBammie: 12:37pm On Dec 01, 2023
Holluwhakemmy:
Good morning my brother, happy new month. Eyah sorry o, concerning the burial it is next year thanks so much
Ooh, next year??

Sha invite us then...

1 Like

Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by FireUpNow(m): 12:45pm On Dec 01, 2023
itsene:

Oba of Benin is part of your generation?

How old is he? Is he not living in this our generation?
Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by Holluwhakemmy(f): 12:45pm On Dec 01, 2023
OlawaleBammie:
Ooh, next year??

Sha invite us then...
okay no problem just start preparing for maalu money
Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by lawani: 12:46pm On Dec 01, 2023
BreconHills:

Please share the "all history books" titles you have.

There are two chieftaincy titles of Benin origin in the place though the current Benin now pronounce it wrongly but it is evidence of association with Benin in the early stages. The titles are Bajulaye and one other
Re: ‘You Don’t Know History’, Asari-Dokubo Slams Those Saying Binis Founded Lagos by OlawaleBammie: 12:56pm On Dec 01, 2023
Holluwhakemmy:
okay no problem just start preparing for maalu money
Maalu?? Kekere niyen na grin grin

But nisuuru, maalu maa ti won oh shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

N1.08bn Corruption Scandal Hits Debt Management Office / Minister, CAS In Turkey To Facilitate Delivery Of Helicopters / Niger Republic Opens New Refinery - Very Close To Nigeria’s Border

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.