Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,988 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen (19366 Views)

He Will Need An Interpreter As Gov – Shaibu Shades PDP Candidate, Asue Ighodalo / Truck Runs Into Edo Gubernatorial Aspirant, Barr. Asue Ighodalo’s Car / Saraki: I’ll Declare Presidential Ambition Before End Of March (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by NzogbuNzogbu: 10:29am On Dec 04, 2023
Godmademan:
So even if he's the best candidate to deliver good governance, he should not have the chance because he can't speak the language. I myself find it extremely difficult to learn languages. I can imagine someone telling me that I can't win election because I can't speak my language. Their loss not mine
if you can't speak your language but understand your people to the teeth no wahala

I would even prefer an Igbo man born and raised edo who can't speak the language but passes through edo problems and know them

1 Like

Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by waveman2: 10:33am On Dec 04, 2023
That is the problem with some mofons.They failed to realize that the constitution they use to lead them is written in english and not in their local dialet.Mumu people.

SmartyPants:

Don't you know you just proved my point?? Instead of asking whether he can speak your language, ask, rather:

Who are you?
What have you done?
What can you do?
Why do you want to lead us?

The ones that speak your language so fluently how far?

You also suggesting that someone at that level should leave all he is doing to go and live somewhere to learn a language at 40 something. Is that the deep analysis you were talking about? lol. Go and sit down abeg.
Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by Procashtips(m): 10:37am On Dec 04, 2023
SmartyPants:

We are talking about principles here. But even at that, I've read he was raised in Ibadan so yes, he was not exposed to his indigenous land. The question is will you reject the value a person has to offer simply because they don't speak the language?

It's actually a yes or no question.

If someone comes to build a hospital for you as one of your sons based in another place, will you say no, you can't speak the language so you are not worthy?

Yes or no?

Stick to the matter.

Was it born and brought up abroad?

I was not raised nor born in my state of origin but I speak and understand my language.
Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by SmartyPants(m): 10:49am On Dec 04, 2023
NzogbuNzogbu:
you are just talking off

We don't doubt his value o, but he doesn't understand the local necessities of the people

Its even worst the gov is the imposing him not that he really desired governance

He is out of touch with the people, so the value already has disconnect to what edo value

I'm actually not defending this particular guy. I don't know him and assume he is just another politician.

It's the general idea that if you cant speak your local language you lose the right to represent your people that I have an issue with. As as a full grown man I have to start learning my language from ABC?

1 Like

Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by deeva2: 11:06am On Dec 04, 2023
This one be like Chinedu Gbarebo.. cheesy cheesy
Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by NaughtyBrainiac: 11:09am On Dec 04, 2023
HeatSeeker:

You are very biased in your thinking. So you can grant waivers to certain people that cannot speak their local language? And then go ahead to deny some others that same waiver because of "track record". Wow!

What do you mean by track record? Is it by bribing all the local Chiefs with gifts? Or doing give away as your people often demand? I wonder what "achievements" will warrant such a waiver.
I didn't say waivers should be granted. I said waivers maybe be granted for Individuals with track record of excellence. If such people plead for waivers, the people might choose to grant the waiver because the people feel they stand to gain a lot from that Individual's Intellectual/Leadership/Administrative prowess.

It's like someone who says she wants to marry from her tribe, she meets a man that has everything she wants in a man but not from her tribe. Such Lady could grant a waiver because of those beautiful qualities the man possesses.

Let's take Dr. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala as example. The people might decide to grant her certain waivers because they know they will eventually be the ones to gain more at the end of the day.

The summary is that, regular people don't deserve such waivers. You need to be exceptional
Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by NaughtyBrainiac: 11:15am On Dec 04, 2023
SmartyPants:

Don't you know you just proved my point?? Instead of asking whether he can speak your language, ask, rather:

Who are you?
What have you done?
What can you do?
Why do you want to lead us?

The ones that speak your language so fluently how far?

You also suggesting that someone at that level should leave all he is doing to go and live somewhere to learn a language at 40 something. Is that the deep analysis you were talking about? lol. Go and sit down abeg.

I have said it all in one post but you are not an open-minded person. That's why you are still trying to argue.

This Guy does not have a special track record for him to deserve a Waiver. Or you want the people to seat and believe the lies he wants to tell them ? grin

Since he doesn't have any special track record like Dr. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, he should learn the language or get the F**k
Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by SmartyPants(m): 11:18am On Dec 04, 2023
NaughtyBrainiac:

I have said it all in one post but you are not an open-minded person. That's why you are still trying to argue.

This Guy does not have a special track record for him to deserve a Waiver. Or you want the people to seat and believe the lies he wants to tell them ? grin

Since he doesn't have any special track record like Dr. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, he should learn the language or get the F**k

Then you dont get my point. My post has nothing to do with this man in particular. I was making a general point.
Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by SalamRushdie: 11:25am On Dec 04, 2023
Procashtips:
This one don fail already.

You can't speak the language of your people, yet you want to represent them.
Sharap
Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by lexy2014: 11:31am On Dec 04, 2023
sunsplash99:

If you are from Edo state you would not be asking me this question.

but you are from Edo state. how come you cant answer the simple question?

how is it the turn of an esan man to be the next governor?
Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by besayag: 11:41am On Dec 04, 2023
Procashtips:

na crime? The ones when sabi speak d language, how are they doing? Na wetin we dey talk be this, Nigerians go keep doing d same thing over n over again

2 Likes

Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by Banhammy717: 11:52am On Dec 04, 2023
You can't speak your local language.
Shame on you.
Shame on your parent
Shior
Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by commoditiesnig: 12:34pm On Dec 04, 2023
Procashtips:

It's a shame!
Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by Shattuck(m): 12:47pm On Dec 04, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
The book "Stumbling on happiness" on my mind right now wink

The reality is that Edo is not monolingual so there may be no furore if a candidate turns out to be like LP's Chinedu in Lagos who can't speak Yoruba in a monolingual Lagos and had to get an interpreter during campaign too.

Asue and his siblings were born and raised in Ibadan where their parents lived, stayed and worked. They are Omo Ibadan.

Their late mum was Yoruba while their late Dad was Esan. If they were females married to Yoruba men, they could even aspire to be the Governor of Oyo state. It's the names of the boys that affiliated and restricted them as Edo, aside that, they could pass for a Yoruba family and seen as such by their Yoruba kith and kin.

Their late mum, a Yoruba woman, was particularly phenomenal and popular as well as a role model to many people in Ibadan so much that her name was a household name in Ibadan those days. Their late Dad was a Senior Staffer at the University of Ibadan.Check my signature for free stuffs!
see how insensitive you sound you criticize Gbadebo for the same reason, it is widely expected that Edo central should produce the next governor, an Edo central is an esan land if he is rejected by esan central how then do you think he can win, or maybe now they shouldn't be bothered ,weather he speaks his native language is not a big deal for liberal minds and progressive like us, it is just hypocritical and shameless how you folks foolishly critized your own just because his mother was Igbo and how Igbo wants to take over Lagos, but according to you now Edo state has nothing to fear, his mother is yoruba maybe Yorubas want to take over Edo state, same way your ancestors took over Lagos and rewrote it's history, maybe we need to Edo Ronu too, but we can't Ronu because we aren't uncivilized animals.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by internationalman(m): 12:48pm On Dec 04, 2023
NzogbuNzogbu:
the only place Shaibu can be doing that is akoko edo, igarra

Btw we don't care abt asue history but he can't rule us same with olumide akpata

For bleep sake we haven't finished the obaseki dilemma, obaseki couldn't speak bini yet people said its technocracy that mattered

He entered and started fighting oba of bini, he was doing fanciful nonsense policies and over spending in stuffs that weren't priority to local needs

Our problem here is local, it's the home breed politicians that know them, especially the ones who have done lga chairmen before

But where did you get your fact from. Obaseki is a fluent speaker of Benin.

1 Like

Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by noruwasman(m): 12:55pm On Dec 04, 2023
NaughtyBrainiac:

I totally disagree with you.

I don't know why most of you people are not deep and thorough in your analysis. This is the same reason people see signals that look like red flags before marriage but they are not wise enough to spot them.

For him not to be able to speak his local language speaks volume about him. Unfortunately, many of you cannot read between the lines.

People don't pick political ambition overnight, do they? What stopped him from taking one or two years to live and interact with his people to learn the language?

You said language is not a true test of Leadership. You are wrong in this case sir/ma. Learning that language is the beginning of true Leadership and having genuine interest of the people at heart.

On a final note, who is he to be given such waiver of Language?
What special things has he achieved?

Only individuals with very formidable track record of performance maybe considered for such waiver privilege.

This speaks volume of your ignorance about the people of Edo and Edo politics. Ighodalo has been active in Edo politics from the time of Adam’s administration and his impact has attracted investors into Edo state. Esan people from Edo state has not denied his identity, so let edo people decide who governs them in peace

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by Realguyman1(m): 1:15pm On Dec 04, 2023
HeatSeeker:

Why? Does his ability to speak his local language translate to competence? Is he not a verified son of the state? Please respond intelligently.
Which kind yeye competence? People who do sit in far away places and be discrediting their people anyhow, is what you call competence. What stop him from hearing his home language, if not for I don't give a dawn attitude?
Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by indigenous234(f): 1:18pm On Dec 04, 2023
God will punish you all. Yoruba ronu's. His sisters could aspire to leadership positions in the same Yoruba land of bigots and tribalists?... GRV was called a tainted blood for the same reason you're saying his sisters could aspire to leadership positions in the same backwaters of black civilization.

We knew Yorubas to be two faced cowards but thought the internet could at least reduce the bigotry...alas, what makes the He-goat smell is embedded in his blood.(igbo adage)

FreeStuffsNG:

The reality is that Edo is not monolingual so there may be no furore if a candidate turns out to be like LP's Chinedu in Lagos who can't speak Yoruba in a monolingual Lagos and had to get an interpreter during campaign too.

Asue and his siblings were born and raised in Ibadan where their parents lived, stayed and worked. They are Omo Ibadan.

Their late mum was Yoruba while their late Dad was Esan. If they were females married to Yoruba men, they could even aspire to be the Governor of Oyo state. It's the names of the boys that affiliated and restricted them as Edo, aside that, they could pass for a Yoruba family and seen as such by their Yoruba kith and kin.

Their late mum, a Yoruba woman, was particularly phenomenal and popular as well as a role model to many people in Ibadan so much that her name was a household name in Ibadan those days. Their late Dad was a Senior Staffer at the University of Ibadan.Check my signature for free stuffs!
Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by HeatSeeker(m): 1:20pm On Dec 04, 2023
Realguyman1:
Which kind yeye competence? People who do sit in far away places and be discrediting their people anyhow, is what you call competence. What stop him from hearing his home language, if not for I don't give a dawn attitude?

It is not an "I don't give a damn" attitude. He simply wasn't raised with that hand, and once you pass a certain age, it becomes difficult to learn your native tongue, and even if you manage to learn, you cannot be as fluent as people who learnt it from childhood. This has been scientifically proven.
Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by Ozommadu: 1:31pm On Dec 04, 2023
Biola67:

Chibuzor na Monday we dey find something do.. Leave Tinubu

Ozommadu, you saw my name, address me with respect boy
Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by indigenous234(f): 1:33pm On Dec 04, 2023
I'm Igbo but born and bred in Benin. To me, Edo is home. It's indeed the cradle of black civilization. Unlike the two faced cowards, Edos are not known to be tribalistic in any ramification. It's common knowledge and expectation that the next governor comes from Edo central. Wether the person speaks esan, for me, is immaterial... The wilful slaves of the backwaters of black civilization can not influence the cradle of black civilization with thier inherent vice of bigotry and tribalism..

If these two faced cowards are given a chance to chose between a, Lee Kwan Yu (who's father is Yoruba but mother a Singaporean and can not speak the Yoruba language) and a Bola Tinubu with all his present baggage ( but speaks the Yoruba language) , you can easily guess where they'll cast their votes. Though they'll come online and speak plenty grammars. We know them. Two faced cowards.

Edo's are miles and worlds far ahead of the two faced cowards, yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Shattuck:
see how insensitive you sound you criticize Gbadebo for the same reason, it is widely expected that Edo central should produce the next governor, an Edo central is an esan land if he is rejected by esan central how then do you think he can win, or maybe now they shouldn't be bothered ,weather he speaks his native language is not a big deal for liberal minds and progressive like us, it is just hypocritical and shameless how you folks foolishly critized your own just because his mother was Igbo and how Igbo wants to take over Lagos, but according to you now Edo state has nothing to fear, his mother is yoruba maybe Yorubas want to take over Edo state, same way your ancestors took over Lagos and rewrote it's history, maybe we need to Edo Ronu too, but we can't Ronu because we aren't uncivilized animals.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by Gerrard59(m): 1:45pm On Dec 04, 2023
So, this man who co-founded Banwo and Ighodalo cannot speak his native language? shocked
Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by Godmademan(m): 1:48pm On Dec 04, 2023
NzogbuNzogbu:
if you can't speak your language but understand your people to the teeth no wahala

I would even prefer an Igbo man born and raised edo who can't speak the language but passes through edo problems and know them
It depends on the office involved. Governors have aides, advisers, assistants. Same with other office holders. If there are peculiar issues, these people ought to provide insight to the governor. His is to give directives to effect execution
Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by Realguyman1(m): 2:00pm On Dec 04, 2023
HeatSeeker:

It is not an "I don't give a damn" attitude. He simply wasn't raised with that hand, and once you pass a certain age, it becomes difficult to learn your native tongue, and even if you manage to learn, you cannot be as fluent as people who learnt it from childhood. This has been scientifically proven.
Bro I myself wasn't born in my home town, and even though I can hear my home language very well, but up till date I can't speak it fluently, but I do try my best to make sure I can speak it at all at all.

I have experience most Esan and Edo people at large born in faraway places discrediting their people and do always boast that they don't want anything to do with their people (especially those in Abuja and Lagos), and I know that man must definitely be one of them.

So why will anybody who doesn't want anything to do with their home town people be seeking to represent them in governance?

2 Likes

Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by Way4orward: 3:06pm On Dec 04, 2023
StPete:

I shame for you especially if you are partly educated. Why are you even writing in a foreign man’s language then, why not write in your local mother tongue adeke

Grow up.

Home boy can only become the governor of Edo state.
Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by Christistruth00: 3:09pm On Dec 04, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

He should speak his own Language
It is not all emotions that can be Translated or Transferred to English language

Too many African Emotions can not be communicated in the English language properly because Africans are far more emotional than English people and the English language Vocabulary cannot handle it all

1 Like

Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by tnerro1(m): 3:50pm On Dec 04, 2023
Esan born, world bred

Vote for the guy jor

Vote for Asue

The “ Esan Born, World Bred” movement

1 Like

Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by NzogbuNzogbu: 4:10pm On Dec 04, 2023
Godmademan:
It depends on the office involved. Governors have aides, advisers, assistants. Same with other office holders. If there are peculiar issues, these people ought to provide insight to the governor. His is to give directives to effect execution
thats on paper

The aides and assistants are only there to loot, how do you not know your people plight and delegate them to aide
Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by NzogbuNzogbu: 4:15pm On Dec 04, 2023
internationalman:

he is not o

Are you kidding me, someone that even speaks English in palace

He not only doesn't speak he also doesn't know zilch abt the culture that's how he went to oba palace without bringing kola and was embarrassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by Sosqui: 6:32pm On Dec 04, 2023
Those that spoke their language, where have they taken us to? Does language determine competence? Sometimes, i don't understand how we reason.
Procashtips:

Re: Asue Ighodalo Uses Interpreter To Declare Ambition Before Kinsmen by OVB123: 9:15pm On Dec 04, 2023
internationalman:

The young man is right. Obaseki doesn't know how to speak benin but oshiomhole smuggle him into the state and made him governor but obaseki later betrayed him and others that supported him.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PDP Postpones Lagos And Imo States Guber Primary Indefinitely / CJN Ariwoola Appoints Younger Brother, Adebayo, As new auditor for NJC / Atiku In Early Lead In These States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.