Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,260 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:44 AM

Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 (20346 Views)

Viral Slangs, Sensations That ‘spiced’ 2021 / 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) / Cameroon Slangs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by Addme: 7:10am On Dec 10, 2023
As a country, Nigerians probably wouldn’t allow a day to pass without coining and adding a unique word or phrase into their diction. Year after year, Nigerians continue to create new slangs to ‘catch cruise’ (joke around), banter, and communicate effectively. But only a few of those unique words made it to the country’s pop culture.

As usual, 2023 met expectations in terms of new slang. Tribune Online presents some of the year’s most popular slangs and their meanings:

1. Dey Play

This standout slang is a subtle way of telling someone to stop deceiving themselves and be more realistic. For example, if someone says, “I will have A’s in all my 10 courses this semester,” his friend’s response could be “Dey play”. This indirectly suggests the person should be more realistic about his potential grades.

2. Idan

This slang became so popular that even President Bola Ahmed Tinubu once used it. “Idan,” a Yorùbá word which literally translates to “magic”, gained major prominence in 2023. It describes someone extraordinary, unique, special, influential, and powerful. For example, “My friend is Idan; he scored 5 goals in one match yesterday.”

3. No Evidence

Burna Boy is a master at creating popular slang. Last year, he blessed us with “Breakfast,” meaning heartbreak. In 2023, he added “You go explain tire because no evidence.” This slang signifies that people might not believe in your hard work and effort without positive results (evidence) to support your claims.

4. Must be ment

This phrase is used when someone is out of touch with reality or behaves/thinks in a highly irrational way. For instance, during a discussion between two friends, one of them says, “My boyfriend beats me every day because he loves me.” Her friend’s response could be, “Must be ment,” questioning the speaker’s logic.

5. Let the poor breathe

This slang became a national hit after President Bola Ahmed Tinubu used it in a speech. It’s an appeal to the government, influential people, and marketers to consider the poor masses in their decision-making. For example, “A bag of rice is now 50,000; the government should let the poor breathe and not suffocate them.”

6. On Colos

Colos is another name for Colorado, a synthetic drug mixture containing many drugs, including cannabis. ‘On Colos’ questions someone’s state of mind or suggests they are acting under the influence of a substance. For example, “You want to spend 5 million in a nightclub; are you sure you are okay or are you on Colos?”

7. Pressure ti wa

This is yet another slang that sprang up in 2023. It became popular after it was used by an Abeokuta-based man while expressing his dissatisfaction at the state of economic hardship during the height of the Naira scarcity earlier this year. “Pressure ti wa,” a mix of Yoruba and English languages, literally translates to “There is pressure.” The slang is used to express the intensity of a situation. For example, “Guy, pressure ti wa, the exam is starting tomorrow, and I’m yet to read anything.”

8. Go to court

The slang was first popularised by Nigerian politicians following the 2023 general election, after which it was adopted by most Nigerians. ‘Go to court’ is sarcastic advice for someone to seek redress in the court of law in case they are not satisfied with a certain result or ‘political’ development. For instance, “Go to court if you are not pleased with the result of the match.”

https://tribuneonlineng.com/dey-play-idan-no-evidence-other-popular-nigerian-slangs-in-2023/

45 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by Vinnie2000(m): 7:16am On Dec 10, 2023
How about Gazelle Gagaraga, from Ebola Tinubu? 🤔🤔🤷🤷

91 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by yinkus6750(m): 7:16am On Dec 10, 2023
We just need to continue catching cruise through various devices, else, the present situation in the country is enough to give high BP

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by Boogyman557: 7:19am On Dec 10, 2023
hhh
Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by Nobody: 7:23am On Dec 10, 2023
Nice compilation, my favourite is no evidence; I no wan plenty talk.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by Mhizzard(m): 7:30am On Dec 10, 2023
When it comes to the terms of 'cruise'Nigerian are always the best.despite the pains government are inflicting on us,yet,we still find a to keep it going.
anyway mine is 'No long cap'

11 Likes

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by Addme: 7:39am On Dec 10, 2023
yinkus6750:
We just need to continue catching cruise through various devices, else, the present situation in the country is enough to give high BP
That's why comedy shows and skit makers are getting more popular and raking millions.
If we take the current situation too serious and not catching cruise sometimes, na untimely death person dey write so.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by money121(m): 7:52am On Dec 10, 2023
Naso

1 Like

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by LaziestYouth: 7:52am On Dec 10, 2023
Okay
Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by olaiya2007(m): 7:52am On Dec 10, 2023
U go explain taya

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by Sofistcatdmoron: 7:53am On Dec 10, 2023
Op dey play,, just dey play

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by Johnycastro18: 7:54am On Dec 10, 2023
"Let the poor breath" grin
Don't suffocate the poor.....

that slang have been like a national anthem
, since the coming in of the disaster emilokan" sad

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by Olachase(m): 7:54am On Dec 10, 2023
As the country matter Don be like this na slang you day find

Anyway day play 😁😁

2 Likes

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by flexyrule(m): 7:55am On Dec 10, 2023
All rubbish!

Pure rubbish!

Probably promoted by the social media wing of the government, to create distractions while they continue to feed fat and build 15 billion Naira houses.

Unsurprisingly, these trends surface when the government is about to take/make a very ugly anti-people action/policy.

Dey Play. Just dey play...

grin grin grin grin grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by turmacs(f): 7:55am On Dec 10, 2023
Mhizzard:
When it comes to the terms of 'cruise'Nigerian are always the best.despite the pains government are inflicting on us,yet,we still find a to keep it going.
anyway mine is 'No long cap'
Nice one, let us clap for ourselves..Our politicians will be reading these types of comments dey smile.. Keep on finding ways to keep it going with stupid slangs and laughing to stupid comedy skits while they are throwing away your future and that of your unborn kids. Bunch of un-serious idiots.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by LaziestYouth: 7:56am On Dec 10, 2023
Waiting concern me

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by JASONjnr(m): 7:56am On Dec 10, 2023
The annoying one is the recent OSIM slangs. .....

Just nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by Zonefree(m): 7:56am On Dec 10, 2023
No jokes, Pressure ti wa.

5 Likes

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by dahmie2013: 7:56am On Dec 10, 2023
olaiya2007:
U go explain taya
Oti lo.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by datola: 7:56am On Dec 10, 2023
Dey play and Idan are my favorites.
Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by Jedtam: 7:56am On Dec 10, 2023
That last one Go to Court is made popular by APC and their supporters.

3 Likes

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by ablogroup: 7:56am On Dec 10, 2023
S
Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by omofranyoung(m): 7:56am On Dec 10, 2023
Because "Happiness is Free..." So we have find a way of creating happiness for ourselves. If not..Otilo..

1 Like

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by Love800(m): 7:57am On Dec 10, 2023
Nigerians and cruise.

While other countries are busy with innovations

God why was i given birth here?

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by AntiChristian: 7:57am On Dec 10, 2023
shocked
Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by Opans: 7:57am On Dec 10, 2023
All na old slangs for warri
Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by ReacherSaidNoth: 7:57am On Dec 10, 2023
I don't know why but everything Nigerian irritates me undecided

9 Likes

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by Treasure17(m): 7:58am On Dec 10, 2023
It's dey play and no evidence for me. grin
Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by Treasure17(m): 7:58am On Dec 10, 2023
ReacherSaidNoth:
I don't why but everything Nigerian irritates me undecided
Be calming down. Take it easy.

3 Likes

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by Zxcvbnmghtr: 7:58am On Dec 10, 2023
Vinnie2000:

How about Gazelle Gagaraga, from Ebola Tinubu? 🤔🤔🤷🤷

grin
Ellupe
grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dey Play, Idan, No Evidence, Other Popular Nigerian Slangs In 2023 by slimmax: 7:58am On Dec 10, 2023
Chai

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Barcanista Blackmail: My Stand / Trailer Carrying Mama Gold Flour Turns Over In Lagos (Photos) / What’s Your Worst Friendship Betrayal Experience?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.