Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,930 members, 7,814,160 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family (31563 Views)

Monkey Seizes Woman's Phone And Destroys It In Burundi Zoo (Photos, Video) / Ethiopia Begins Seizure Of Undeclared Currencies By Transiting Nigerians / Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by TheFacelessMan: 4:09pm On Dec 10, 2023
Babathanks:

Na bad belle dy do u. Some of them are under visit visa or student visa that have limited work time and they are not expected to work. That's why they can't declare. I once did something like this but rhankGod they never check my luggage and I scape through

Bad belle ?

You're similarly as stupid as those they caught. Unfortunately the authorities didn't cure your stupidity. Yours seems congenital, inherited most likely.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by maasoap(m): 4:10pm On Dec 10, 2023
TheFacelessMan:
" Gave them $216 for humanitarian reasons... seized the rest. " undecided

The money was obviously fraudulently procured.

Just lost it in a flash. Good for them grin
You are not informed at all. See ignorance speaking
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by jay89(m): 4:12pm On Dec 10, 2023
When crypto dey. Na to buy USDT ooo
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by factwriter(m): 4:13pm On Dec 10, 2023
Karemarealty288:

https://www.thecable.ng/us-customs-seize-undeclared-68k-cash-from-nigeria-bound-family/amp

"Nigerian Bound Family"?

What a style of repertoire! As if the destination has any significance to the offence (...which maximum penalty or punishment is simply "forfiture".

This thing happens global over, why the emphasis on Nigeria as their destination?
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by TheFacelessMan: 4:13pm On Dec 10, 2023
maasoap:

You are not informed at all. See ignorance speaking

You're not particularly literate.

Do you know the Naira value of 68,000 USD ?

Anyone who can legitimately earn that will not hide it in the way or lie about it.

"Better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your dirty mouth and remove all doubt."

680 pieces of 100 dollar bills ( highest denomination) do you know how hard it is to hide ?

It would be an insult to stupid people to associate you with them. Yours is the extreme incurable variant.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by deyplay: 4:14pm On Dec 10, 2023
Celepope:

That money was illegally gotten I can guarantee you. Whenever I have some building projects ongoing, I simply go to my bank and wire the money and get charged just $45. I have wired up to 20k on many occasions. Sometimes I just use those apps like LemFi or TapTap to do 2k until it gets to like $9999 within a month because anything more than that, the money will be seized and will only be released when you show proof of how you got it. This has happened to me numerous times. Just show them your bank statements and paystub and they will release the funds.
so one cannot transfer more than 10k USD?
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by aestake: 4:17pm On Dec 10, 2023
GboyegaD:
Still wondering why it wasn't declared if it was legal funds.
wondering? grin
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by sonofElElyon: 4:22pm On Dec 10, 2023
Houseontherock1:
Once you get involved in illegal deals, you must learn how your colleagues launder their funds! How can you under declare when your bags and baggages will go through security checks? undecided

Oro rirun
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by GlIalen(m): 4:23pm On Dec 10, 2023
He should've just declared the total and save himself this hassle undecided undecided undecided
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by theamazonguru(m): 4:36pm On Dec 10, 2023
dominique:

And answer more questions about how such amount of money got in their possession especially if they're on a visit visa and not expected to work. They knew what they were doing by hiding that money

The person is either ignorant or foolish.
In this age of technology.
Even if you don't know, do research, ask questions. Sabi men full online na.
Apps can be used to redistribute the money.
He can also use cryptocurrency.
Use it to buy BTC, USDT, ETH etc. when you get to your location you can then sell it off.

Let's assume he doesn't want to use that means, how about using a domiciliary account. That's why it's important to always plan and analyze your moves. Don't just take irrational moves that might boomerang eventually.

If na me, even that maximum allowable amount won't be found on me before you start attracting the eyes of the law to yourself.

2 Likes

Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by airsaylongcome: 4:47pm On Dec 10, 2023
ivolt:
Financial ignorance has cost this family 68 million Naira.
There are several means of moving money into any country without using cash.

₦80.24m and not ₦68m as you wrongly calculated. Dollar is ₦1,180.00k

2 Likes

Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by airsaylongcome: 4:50pm On Dec 10, 2023
HighTable:
I sensed psychological suspicion here, they declared the ceiling of $10K EXACTLY!!!
When you want to lie, make your lie so big that they come no where near the fact, so far from the truth that thinking over it becomes a stress. cheesy
They should have declared $3K or less
Plus they definitely don't know how their mates hide things

You make a declaration only if you are carrying cash of $10k+. No one would have attended to them if they were going to declare only $3k or below as you suggested

2 Likes

Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by jaxxy(m): 4:52pm On Dec 10, 2023
They were ill advised.
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by planetx: 4:54pm On Dec 10, 2023
Money that he ought to wrap and put inside his pants, he is exiting not entering the US. The level of inspection is 100 times less when existing, only for plane security purposes is why the cash was even discovered.
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by Engrr(m): 5:02pm On Dec 10, 2023
TheFacelessMan:
" Gave them $216 for humanitarian reasons... seized the rest. " undecided

The money was obviously fraudulently procured.

Just lost it in a flash. Good for them grin

PS : only a very big fool would think the money was legit.

This one na official rate. Who dey change at official rate these days? Go to Wuse Zone 4 in Abuja that money pass 80,000,000
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by kunkelhanspeter(m): 5:17pm On Dec 10, 2023
Karemarealty288:

https://www.thecable.ng/us-customs-seize-undeclared-68k-cash-from-nigeria-bound-family/amp

If they can declare where the money is coming from and the purpose of the money they will return the money back to them but they will pay fine.
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by TheFacelessMan: 5:19pm On Dec 10, 2023
Engrr:

This one na official rate. Who dey change at official rate these days? Go to Wuse Zone 4 in Abuja that money pass 80,000,000

Exactly. I just put up the official rate so that it wouldn't seem as if I was pushing a narrative.
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by Cheapgadget(f): 5:29pm On Dec 10, 2023
SocialJustice:
The oga never hear about crypto before? December celebration in Nigeria cancelled.

Na werey, money he should kukuma encrypte
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by Juju70(m): 5:43pm On Dec 10, 2023
SocialJustice:
The oga never hear about crypto before? December celebration in Nigeria cancelled.

Bat guy! I mean so many ways to send 68k! E be like say the yeye guy get plenty peko to dash gaument
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by Cantonese: 5:45pm On Dec 10, 2023
dominique:

And answer more questions about how such amount of money got in their possession especially if they're on a visit visa and not expected to work. They knew what they were doing by hiding that money

And why should he fear if the source of the money is legitimate? Why should he be afraid of more questions if he had nothing to hide about his source if livelihood?

Everyday some Nigerians get more ingenious with crooked ways.

By the way did you not read that they were allowed to continue their journey? Now the man must be deeply regretting his foolishness. What is more, he openly taught his children how to lie and deceive the authorities. Hopefully he learnt his lesson.

1 Like

Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by bonnyhope: 5:47pm On Dec 10, 2023
LowKeyManny:
80.5 million Naira just lost like that.. damn..

$68K no reach N80M

Make una de calm down
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by Darkjudge24: 5:50pm On Dec 10, 2023
I always say and will continue to say,we are always problem to ourselves, avoid shortcut is a message to pass around, we need it

1 Like

Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by bonnyhope: 5:53pm On Dec 10, 2023
Philistine:

Now, they have forfeited almost all of it.

Forfeit is not a new thing

Your president did the same sometime ago
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by Charly68: 6:02pm On Dec 10, 2023
USA no be Naija
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by pacificom: 6:18pm On Dec 10, 2023
You don't feel the pain of losing what you stole. That amount is just a tiny dot in the ocean of their gross loot.
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by abbey621(m): 6:27pm On Dec 10, 2023
Definitely illegal money, no family carries that amount of cash to Nigeria, this is 2023 not 1999. Dorm accounts, wire transfers, crypto, Western Union etc. So many options but Ogbon Sodiq people dey always over calculate......Cheers Fam!
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by Abufo: 7:03pm On Dec 10, 2023
Houseontherock1:
Once you get involved in illegal deals, you must learn how your colleagues launder their funds! How can you under declare when your bags and baggages will go through security checks? undecided

mumu is more afraid of Nigerian banks and his relatives than US customs.........! who lose now!
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by africandollar: 7:07pm On Dec 10, 2023
Simple problem wey crypto go solve.
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by wolebest: 7:11pm On Dec 10, 2023
Karemarealty288:

Why not just split the funds and travel on different dates or better still open an account and transfer the funds in bits.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ghastly Accident Hits UNIZIK Awka Again - Check Photos / Five Killed As Cement-laden Truck Rams Into Vehicle In Cross River (Graphic) / UAE’s Statement On Meeting With Tinubu, Silent On Visa Ban Lift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.