Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family (31569 Views)

Monkey Seizes Woman's Phone And Destroys It In Burundi Zoo (Photos, Video) / Ethiopia Begins Seizure Of Undeclared Currencies By Transiting Nigerians / Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by YoshihideSuga: 7:12pm On Dec 10, 2023
planetx:
Money that he ought to wrap and put inside his pants, he is exiting not entering the US. The level of inspection is 100 times less when existing, only for plane security purposes is why the cash was even discovered.

What about the body scanners? Isn't that how drug dealers are caught?

1 Like

Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by planetx: 7:26pm On Dec 10, 2023
YoshihideSuga:

What about the body scanners? Isn't that how drug dealers are caught?
Who export drugs out of the greatest drug consuming nation, what is their business with you smuggling drugs out of the US. Their only concern is you don't blow up the freaking plane so he could have put the cash in his checked in luggage, but probably afraid of the thieves at Nigerian Airport. My friend put $40k inside his pant and flew out of JFK NY.
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by Eriokanmi: 7:28pm On Dec 10, 2023
youngrichnigga:
cry cry cry
He should've just declared the total and save himself this hassle undecided undecided undecided undecided
They'd still have seized it. There was an American Dutch who was on same flight as mine to PA from Heathrow in 2019. She declared the 20k usd on her and still, they seized it grin. She said she'd speak to her lawyer cos as a citizen, her rights were stampled upon. I just left her and her rants behind and proceeded to the carousel to pick up my luggage. At times, the CBP can act crazy.
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by Royaltyy: 7:54pm On Dec 10, 2023
BronzeTiger:
What did they expect? That every country will be like Nigeria.

Bronze please I need your help 🙏🙏🙏 a scammer is using my details he deceitfully obtained from me to scam people... How can I track him?
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by Judolisco(m): 8:12pm On Dec 10, 2023
ShangTsung000:
Country wey dey work.
since d man declared he had only 10k dem suppose give am 10k take d remaining 58k arbi
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by Judolisco(m): 8:16pm On Dec 10, 2023
Igboslayer:
They should have released the amount he declared and seize the excess. This is high handedness by the Americans
e dey fear charges...
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by PHAYOL81: 8:25pm On Dec 10, 2023
Africans and fraudulent behavior. SMH

1 Like

Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by Theweekend: 8:29pm On Dec 10, 2023
socialmediaman:
Heroic achievement according to the bulaba template!

All they have to do now is stay back in Nigeria, forfeit some of that money to the US government, run for governor, then run for president grin
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by Babathanks(m): 8:32pm On Dec 10, 2023
TheFacelessMan:

Bad belle ?

You're similarly as stupid as those they caught. Unfortunately the authorities didn't cure your stupidity. Yours seems congenital, inherited most likely.
Mr know it all. What do you expect them to do?. I'II never insult you cos am not train like that
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by SocialJustice: 8:33pm On Dec 10, 2023
Juju70:

Bat guy! I mean so many ways to send 68k! E be like say the yeye guy get plenty peko to dash gaument
Very poor decision making. If them seize my $68k I pray make I no die with the officer.
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by TheFacelessMan: 8:35pm On Dec 10, 2023
Babathanks:

Mr know it all. What do you expect them to do?. I'II never insult you cos am not train like that

If you had behaved like someone with hometraining, I would have been just as polite.

You wrote without manners and I gave you the medicine for that foolishness. So you learn to think for a split second before writing or speaking.
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by 9JAMac10: 9:06pm On Dec 10, 2023
Hahahaha. Zero empathy n respect for the foolish “smart” dad who lied to 🇺🇸 Customs and Border Protection . That Nigerian “cleverness “ don’t work on oyibo

1 Like

Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by thatigboman: 10:14pm On Dec 10, 2023
socialmediaman:
Heroic achievement according to the bulaba template!

All they have to do now is stay back in Nigeria, forfeit some of that money to the US government, run for governor, then run for president grin
there's nothing to forfeit. The money has been seized
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by rafcrown(m): 1:24am On Dec 11, 2023
Dishonesty is a taboo.

2 Likes

Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by Demayour: 4:19am On Dec 11, 2023
Objectivist04:
I don't think this is justice, why giving him only $216 instead of $10000 which he declared , at least he didn't tell them he has zero cash on him.

Rather it is deterrence. The white man has strict laws that make his soceity work while we downplay laws in Nigeria to satisfy sentiments and emotions that make our country unstable.

3 Likes

Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by BigIyanga: 6:06am On Dec 11, 2023
dominique:

And answer more questions about how such amount of money got in their possession especially if they're on a visit visa and not expected to work. They knew what they were doing by hiding that money
Naija ways no dey work in America. Stop it. Lol. He lied and found out the hard way

2 Likes

Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by grandstar(m): 8:09am On Dec 11, 2023
I won't be surprised they wanted to paint rhe town red when they get to Naija.

Probably proceeds of illegal activities.

1 Like

Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by yahoodetector: 9:58am On Dec 11, 2023
Karemarealty288:

https://www.thecable.ng/us-customs-seize-undeclared-68k-cash-from-nigeria-bound-family/amp

Foolish family.

Money that the man should have put into a cryptocurrency account.
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by yahoodetector: 10:01am On Dec 11, 2023
seunjungle1:
He should have transferred the money to his local account banks even if it is going to take some days to do so if he can not send the money once..

It would still be reported as the money will be routed from a US based account to the local account
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by yahoodetector: 10:05am On Dec 11, 2023
itiswell1:

When I was relocating and I had more than $10k with me, I declared it and when they asked me why I had up to that on me, I told them I was relocating my family to a new land and that we need to live and survive before we settle on properly. That was it. No further question from Nigeria to the country I was going.

Go back and read the article again.

The family was coming in from US to Nigeria and not leaving Nigeria to US...abi you want take style tell us say you don relocate.
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by Lucas4903: 1:14pm On Dec 11, 2023
ShangTsung000:
Country wey dey work.

If Nigerian customs do this, won’t you call them thieves
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by seunmsg(m): 2:37pm On Dec 11, 2023
All he had to do was use the money to buy USDT and keep in his wallet. He can change it back to fiat anywhere in the world. People should learn to use crypto to avoid situations like this.

2 Likes

Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by aestake: 5:02pm On Dec 11, 2023
Lucas4903:

If Nigerian customs do this, won’t you call them thieves
But they can't. They will just keep a token and let the owner go.
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by 1stGenAmerican(f): 5:08pm On Dec 11, 2023
HighTable:
I sensed psychological suspicion here, they declared the ceiling of $10K EXACTLY!!!
When you want to lie, make your lie so big that they come no where near the fact, so far from the truth that thinking over it becomes a stress. cheesy
They should have declared $3K or less
Plus they definitely don't know how their mates hide things

Declare $3k and then have $65,218 seized after the carryon luggage was x-rayed? Why not be honest, declare all of it, and board the plane with all $68,218?
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by 1stGenAmerican(f): 5:09pm On Dec 11, 2023
Igboslayer:
They should have released the amount he declared and seize the excess. This is high handedness by the Americans

They followed policy. Technically, they could’ve seized all of it.
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by HighTable(m): 5:21pm On Dec 11, 2023
I'm assuming it is Hush hush money, otherwise there is no reason not to be honest. Honesty is just a tool. cheesy

1stGenAmerican:

Declare $3k and then have $65,218 seized? Why not be honest, declare all of it, and board the plane with all $68,218?

1 Like

Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by Gajagojo: 1:52pm On Dec 17, 2023
TheFacelessMan:

If you had behaved like someone with hometraining, I would have been just as polite.

You wrote without manners and I gave you the medicine for that foolishness. So you learn to think for a split second before writing or speaking.
Have you got home training?
Re: US Customs Seizes Undeclared $68k Cash From Nigeria-bound Family by Bigkoko: 10:12am On Dec 24, 2023
They will never learn. Anyone carrying more than $4k USD cash has something illegal planned for it.

If you Plan to pay for anything, your visa card should do.
If you plan to pay companies, bank 2 bank transfer should do.

And if it's a proceed from an illegal transaction, why not go crypto? And get your full funds once arrived.

Sometimes, this attachment to physical cash is addictive.

seunmsg:
All he had to do was use the money to buy USDT and keep in his wallet. He can change it back to fiat anywhere in the world. People should learn to use crypto to avoid situations like this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Five Killed As Cement-laden Truck Rams Into Vehicle In Cross River (Graphic) / Can I Travel To Ghana Without A Passport? / UAE’s Statement On Meeting With Tinubu, Silent On Visa Ban Lift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.