Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,063 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Beware Of Senseless Japa. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Beware Of Senseless Japa. (2086 Views)

If You Travel By Air A Lot, Beware Of Over Friendly Chatty Seat Neighbours. / Think Well Before You ‘Japa’ — Nigerian Man Shows Homeless People In US (Video) / To All Japa Gang. It's Not Easy Anywhere (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of Senseless Japa. by malali: 2:45am On Dec 13, 2023
A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE SHOUTING AND PREACHING THE JAPA PHENOMENON

1-Average cost of rent $2500

2-Phone, electricity, gas, water $500

3-Food Cooking and not eating out 1 person $700

4-Healthcare/Dental, medications,(if not yours budget for your children) $500

5-Transportation (whether you own a car or public transport to work, Car inspections, car registration, fuel, sudden repairs,) $1000

6-Childcare (If you have young children) it can cost up to $1500. Sometimes its cheaper for one spouse to stay at home and tend the kids.

Approx. 10k is needed for 1 grown adult. Thats 15k gross salary. That amounts to $180k/year(before tax is removed)....Some USA doctors do not make this much e.g Pediatricians in university hospitals

These are basics, anyone JAPA-ING without a desirable degree in America e.g, Tech certifications, Nursing, Medical. Will need an American degree to make over 50k a year.
50K a year means 30k after taxes, social security, insurance and retirement. To be able to just live alone, you will need 2 jobs. American jobs are designed to be hectic enough for 1 person/ 1 job in 24hours. If you work 2 jobs a day......Its at the expense of your health/social relationships/family time etc...There is a cost !!!
Even the Tech, nurses, medical will have to pass exams, these exams and preparations could cost $20k with no guarantee of passing.

So the hard part is how can you survive with $40-50k/ year with a basic living cost requiring at least $180k/ year. If you go to school hear, the loans are crippling at 7-8% interests for government loans and even up to 20% for private loans.
Even if you work 2 jobs, which means you leave your house (8am-4pm) (4pm-12am)....This will be at the expense of your health, lifespan, social health. Its not really humanely possible.

Even if you come with a spouse, one of you has to work 2 jobs at the very least, if not both of you. If you work through winter months doing double shifts, you can actually go 4 months without seeing the sun, which results in a lot of mental health issues in Africans, because we were not built for that, and the awareness is not emphasized.

Dont get me wrong its hard in Nigeria, but dont forget, you are coming to a place where their ancestors use to come and kidnap people in Africa for free Labour in the USA as slaves. These mentality has only being finessed over time. However it still exists. Do not be fooled by the few successful JAPA stories. I guarantee you for every one successful JAPA, there are a thousand living from Hand to mouth, paying only bills and taxes around the clock.

I have attached snippets of a reddit column of Americans complaining about the cost of living. Mind you these people went to schools here, so they are better treated and paid in the Labour market. You being a JAPA will be systematically paid less than them most times.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/18gg48z/hows_it_possible_people_in_the_us_are_making/

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by malali: 3:02am On Dec 13, 2023
I am not here to discourage anyone, I want you to know what you are signing up for.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by malali: 3:04am On Dec 13, 2023
Stay informed.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by malali: 3:05am On Dec 13, 2023
JAPA with wisdom.

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by malali: 3:13am On Dec 13, 2023
The types of jobs that immigrants commonly hold in America can vary widely, and it's important to note that individual circumstances, education, and experience can significantly impact salaries. Additionally, salaries can vary based on factors such as location, industry, and the specific employer. As of my last knowledge update in January 2022, here are some common jobs that immigrants often take, along with guesstimated annual salaries:

1. **Construction Laborer:**
- Annual Salary: $30,000 to $45,000

2. **Farmworker/Agricultural Laborer:**
- Annual Salary: $20,000 to $35,000

3. **Food Service Worker (e.g., waiter, cook):**
- Annual Salary: $20,000 to $30,000

4. **Retail Salesperson:**
- Annual Salary: $25,000 to $35,000

5. **Janitor/Cleaner:**
- Annual Salary: $25,000 to $35,000

6. **Home Health Aide:**

7. **Nanny/Caregiver:**
- Annual Salary: $25,000 to $40,000

8. **Taxi/Uber/Lyft Driver:**
- Annual Salary: $20,000 to $40,000 (can vary widely)

9. **Factory Worker:**
- Annual Salary: $25,000 to $40,000

10. **Hotel Housekeeper:**

These estimates are rough averages and can vary significantly based on factors such as location, experience, and specific job responsibilities. Additionally, immigration status and language proficiency may impact the types of jobs immigrants initially secure. For the most accurate and up-to-date information, it's recommended to refer to sources such as the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics or other labor market reports.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by Maria96: 3:24am On Dec 13, 2023
The average rent for most immigrants is not 2500. In Nigeria not everyone can afford to stay at Magodo or Lekki. There are cheaper options like shared room, studio , basement or outskirts of town. After all not everyone stayed in Lekki while in Nigeria.

With 300 dollars one can survive on groceries from Walmart, Aldi and the likes. Any one who has stayed abroad knows many of the figures quoted there are false.
Bus pass in a city like new york is 132 dols a month, a personal car with car notes does not even cost 1k a month, i drive a 2022 Camry which is serviced every 6 months. I had the option of buying a 2012 to 2015 model so i cant complain . Many of the people abroad want to drive latest bmw/ benz they cant afford. Most immigrants wont do that.

In your signature you say God bless America. It looks like you like there lol. All these clowns on here ehn.
People are japaing in to enjoy a decent quality of life, they are not japaing to become millionaires. Is it to hard to understand?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by JohnQueen(m): 4:14am On Dec 13, 2023
If you check well e go be Agbadorian. They like peddling fake stats and lies

Maria96:
The average rent for most immigrants is not 2500. In Nigeria not everyone can afford to stay at Magodo or Lekki. There are cheaper options like shared room, studio , basement or outskirts of town. After all not everyone stayed in Lekki while in Nigeria.

With 300 dollars one can survive on groceries from Walmart, Aldi and the likes. Any one who has stayed abroad knows many of the figures quoted there are false.
Bus pass in a city like new york is 132 dols a month, a personal car with car notes does not even cost 1k a month, i drive a 2022 Camry which is serviced every 6 months. I had the option of buying a 2012 to 2015 model so i cant complain . Many of the people abroad want to drive latest bmw/ benz they cant afford. Most immigrants wont do that.

In your signature you say God bless America. It looks like you like there lol. All these clowns on here ehn.
People are japaing in to enjoy a decent quality of life, they are not japaing to become millionaires. Is it to hard to understand?

4 Likes

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by Xwizard: 4:43am On Dec 13, 2023
Anyway Japa is not the answer to the menace in the country right now. What we need is to start planting anything plantable daily. If only you understand sha

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by thesicilian: 5:45am On Dec 13, 2023
The truth is that there are hundreds of thousands of Africans struggling to eat even one good meal a day in us, UK, Canada not to talk of other countries. But they'll never tell you the truth because of shame or pride. Many will like to return home but cannot even afford the trip.
Whoever is going to travel must be strategic in approach. I guess that's all the OP is trying to say.

6 Likes

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by Starboytwo(m): 7:57am On Dec 13, 2023
Dont warn anybody abeg, let all that want to japa, to japa. Freedom

Last week my mom called me, she broached the subject to me, apparently my elder sister must have whined her well.

I honestly felt disgusted but I let her finish, then I educated her and also warn her not to enter such subject with me.

I should leave Nigeria, cuz that's what people are doing to go japa, why?? Did I complain that I'm suffering?? I'm living my best life and seeking to do better, you are telling me to go and "hustle" (useless hustle) in a foreign land. Hustle to do what?

I hustle here, I live here, I die here. I'd rather wash plate here than anywhere.

Mehn, that particular subject disgust me with a passion.

Japa! To hell with it.

Spits.

5 Likes

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by online4business: 10:48am On Dec 13, 2023
Op is one of the agbado corn eater paid to discourage people.

If you want to migrate please write this down.

Don't ever try and live in the city like most people who complain do.

Live in the city is expensive anywhere in the world

But that's not all.
Everyone there dey find him belle nobody care about you.

Your neighbor self no send you or get time to chat with you.

For the suburbs of us you can get a job because there everybody knows everyone.

If grocery store dey there you go see vacancy for yellow page and even side walks self.

People in the suburbs are lazy and unambitious facts.

Go to city like Las Vegas you to see job to keep body and soul together.

But your goal should be to make your money work for you instead of working for money.

Small small passive income here and there go make life and struggle easier.

American is the only place in the world where everyone has equal opportunity to making it.

However I'll never even accept a free visa to America for reasons anyone who have read my profile knows about.

I prefer to be anywhere in the world write and get paid.

Active and passive income.

Develop skill I no mean dey shout I'm a developer, I'm a blogger I'm a freelancer ooo.

Sabi this thing very well INVEST IN YOURSELF... Him wan sell course ooo someone would say.

If you're a
developer
blogger or writer and you can't host a site where clients can find you.

Read this carefully.

YOU'RE A BIG LOOSER LIVING A CAVEMAN LIFE.

if you write well you've your project that earn you small money.

People who like your style of writing or apps dev will contact you for deals.

To sabi develop apps and being a marketing guy are different.

Attract don't pursue... As in woman so in business the more you pursue someone or something the more they run from you.

Sabi how to write before you japa oooo na my $00.0003 cents ooo.

Agbado people over to ona ooo.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by Waterlilly: 12:10pm On Dec 13, 2023
e nor get how una one take explain am, i must japa
Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by SuccessfulRichi: 12:10pm On Dec 13, 2023
I wish I could japa I swear . Nigeria is a jungle. Only the strongest survive
Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by ednut1(m): 12:11pm On Dec 13, 2023
Starboytwo:
Dont warn anybody abeg, let all that want to japa, to japa. Freedom

Last week my mom called me, she broached the subject to me, apparently my elder sister must have whined her well.

I honestly felt disgusted but I let her finish, then I educated her and also warn her not to enter such subject with me.

I should leave Nigeria, cuz that's what people are doing to go japa, why?? Did I complain that I'm suffering?? I'm living my best life and seeking to do better, you are telling me to go and "hustle" (useless hustle) in a foreign land. Hustle to do what?

I hustle here, I live here, I die here. I'd rather wash plate here than anywhere.

Mehn, that particular subject disgust me with a passion.

Japa! To hell with it.

Spits.
so what are you doing in the travel section

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by Rickmann: 2:44pm On Dec 13, 2023
malali:

5-Transportation (whether you own a car or public transport to work, Car inspections, car registration, fuel, sudden repairs,) $1000

6-Childcare (If you have young children) it can cost up to $1500. Sometimes its cheaper for one spouse to stay at home and tend the kids.

Approx. 10k is needed for 1 grown adult. Thats 15k gross salary. That amounts to $180k/year(before tax is removed)....Some USA doctors do not make this much e.g Pediatricians in university hospitals

These are basics, anyone JAPA-ING without a desirable degree in America e.g, Tech certifications, Nursing, Medical. Will need an American degree to make over 50k a year.
50K a year means 30k after taxes, social security, insurance and retirement. To be able to just live alone, you will need 2 jobs. American jobs are designed to be hectic enough for 1 person/ 1 job in 24hours. If you work 2 jobs a day......Its at the expense of your health/social relationships/family time etc...There is a cost !!!
Even the Tech, nurses, medical will have to pass exams, these exams and preparations could cost $20k with no guarantee of passing.

So the hard part is how can you survive with $40-50k/ year with a basic living cost requiring at least $180k/ year. If you go to school hear, the loans are crippling at 7-8% interests for government loans and even up to 20% for private loans.
Even if you work 2 jobs, which means you leave your house (8am-4pm) (4pm-12am)....This will be at the expense of your health, lifespan, social health. Its not really humanely possible.

Even if you come with a spouse, one of you has to work 2 jobs at the very least, if not both of you. If you work through winter months doing double shifts, you can actually go 4 months without seeing the sun, which results in a lot of mental health issues in Africans, because we were not built for that, and the awareness is not emphasized.

Dont get me wrong its hard in Nigeria, but dont forget, you are coming to a place where their ancestors use to come and kidnap people in Africa for free Labour in the USA as slaves. These mentality has only being finessed over time. However it still exists. Do not be fooled by the few successful JAPA stories. I guarantee you for every one successful JAPA, there are a thousand living from Hand to mouth, paying only bills and taxes around the clock.

I have attached snippets of a reddit column of Americans complaining about the cost of living. Mind you these people went to schools here, so they are better treated and paid in the Labour market. You being a JAPA will be systematically paid less than them most times.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/18gg48z/hows_it_possible_people_in_the_us_are_making/

Forget what we see on tv or hear says..
United States hard die but person wey no know no go know.

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by flokii: 8:45pm On Dec 13, 2023
Let them JAPA o.. When push comes to shove, they'll find their way to shelter homes or low cost areas and be living below average life.

When bills for rent, water, electricity etc. hit them, they'll carry cushion inside vans and be sleeping there.
Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by Artiiclebeast: 10:39pm On Dec 13, 2023
Liar liar, pants on fire...

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by samtol4(m): 12:42am On Dec 14, 2023
Haba this is fallacious. Rent 2500 dollars per month? Are you renting the whole building

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by APOPTOSIS: 3:56am On Dec 14, 2023
samtol4:
Haba this is fallacious. Rent 2500 dollars per month? Are you renting the whole building
The Rent is correct. Some can be more than that.
I pay $4000 monthly.
So calm down. But the truth is the United States of America is far far far better than the Animal Husbandry we see in the Subsaharan Africa.
Just be Hardworking, avoid trouble and have your papers first, and every other blessing shall be added unto u.

4 Likes

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by DEBJOCH1(m): 11:24am On Dec 14, 2023
WHY ARE THEY COMPLAINING, IF JAPA AND STAYING ABROAD IS THAT HARD AND DIFFICULT, THEY SHOULD STOP COMPLAINING AND RETURN BACK TO NIGERIA.
Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by DEBJOCH1(m): 11:30am On Dec 14, 2023
WHY ARE THEY COMPLAINING, IF JAPA AND STAYING ABROAD IS THAT HARD AND DIFFICULT, THEY SHOULD STOP COMPLAINING AND RETURN BACK TO NIGERIA.

A FINN LADY CAME TO LAGOS, STAYED IN LAGOS JUST FOR ONE WEEK AND CONLCUDED THAT NIGERIA IS NEXT TO HELL FIRE, SEING THE WAY PEOPLE LIVED AND BEHAVE WITH OPEN DEFECATION AND SOME ABNORMAL WAYS OF LIFE. GOD ABEG CARRY ME JAPA COMOT FROM HERE (NIGERIA) EVEN IF I DONT HAVE ANY SAVINGS ABROAD, SO LONG I CAN AFFORD THE BASIC THERE, I AM OK, AT LEAST LET ME HAVE A SECURED FUTURE FOR MY KIDS.

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by Angrigowt: 1:40pm On Dec 14, 2023
Usa is not the only country. There's europe
Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by hammed71(m): 7:49pm On Dec 14, 2023
Angrigowt:
Usa is not the only country. There's europe
but they think USA is better than Europe and it's the best country in the world
Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by 1Alex: 8:02am On Dec 27, 2023
One question to the op.

How many Students in Nigeria can build good houses at home while still being a student in Nigeria?
Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by Floky215: 1:32pm On Dec 27, 2023
1Alex:
One question to the op.

How many Students in Nigeria can build good houses at home while still being a student in Nigeria?

Many have done that through yahoo yahoo nah....!!
After all in Nigeria of today, whatever you to to make it or survive is no longer crime even though its criminal in nature...!!
The current people at the helm of affairs made sure of that...!!
Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by 79733139(m): 2:04pm On Dec 27, 2023
APOPTOSIS:

The Rent is correct. Some can be more than that.
I pay $4000 monthly.
So calm down. But the truth is the United States of America is far far far better than the Animal Husbandry we see in the Subsaharan Africa.
Just be Hardworking, avoid trouble and have your papers first, and every other blessing shall be added unto u.

And in some small and medium sized cities in the U.S, rent is less than $2500 per month for a single person. Everything depends on location, New York city has very high rents for basic apartments.
Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by 1Alex: 2:57pm On Dec 27, 2023
Floky215:

Many have done that through yahoo yahoo nah....!!
After all in Nigeria of today, whatever you to to make it or survive is no longer crime even though its criminal in nature...!!
The current people at the helm of affairs made sure of that...!!
we are talking about legitimate way not through yahoo
Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by headboyprince(m): 1:08pm On Feb 19
malali:

so how much will all these cost you in Nigeria in 2024 do the calculations my friend and beside which single room apartment is $2500 and in which city. You just throw in random numbers as you like mtcheew. Your brain is really malfunctioning

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by pansophist(m): 2:30pm On Feb 19
Over-inflated amount.

The average cost of the room for starters is 300 euros and that's in western Europe. Just stay away from capital cities.

Buy a bicycle for mobility, even the prime minister of the Netherlands goes to work by bicycle, so why not you? You re in survival mode, drop the pride.

Food and groceries are the cheapest things in the west. don't eat out, cook man.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by Purvan(m): 2:43pm On Feb 19
Everytime japa !!!!! But with which money

When you calculate expenses to japa, you sef go mellow down

To see country to japa tough , most countries are closing up on Nigerians
Re: Beware Of Senseless Japa. by Recardo(m): 8:08am On Feb 20
online4business:
Op is one of the agbado corn eater paid to discourage people.

If you want to migrate please write this down.

Don't ever try and live in the city like most people who complain do.

Live in the city is expensive anywhere in the world

But that's not all.
Everyone there dey find him belle nobody care about you.

Your neighbor self no send you or get time to chat with you.

For the suburbs of us you can get a job because there everybody knows everyone.

If grocery store dey there you go see vacancy for yellow page and even side walks self.

People in the suburbs are lazy and unambitious facts.

Go to city like Las Vegas you to see job to keep body and soul together.

But your goal should be to make your money work for you instead of working for money.

Small small passive income here and there go make life and struggle easier.

American is the only place in the world where everyone has equal opportunity to making it.

However I'll never even accept a free visa to America for reasons anyone who have read my profile knows about.

I prefer to be anywhere in the world write and get paid.

Active and passive income.

Develop skill I no mean dey shout I'm a developer, I'm a blogger I'm a freelancer ooo.

Sabi this thing very well INVEST IN YOURSELF... Him wan sell course ooo someone would say.

If you're a
developer
blogger or writer and you can't host a site where clients can find you.

Read this carefully.

YOU'RE A BIG LOOSER LIVING A CAVEMAN LIFE.

if you write well you've your project that earn you small money.

People who like your style of writing or apps dev will contact you for deals.

To sabi develop apps and being a marketing guy are different.

Attract don't pursue... As in woman so in business the more you pursue someone or something the more they run from you.

Sabi how to write before you japa oooo na my $00.0003 cents ooo.

Agbado people over to ona ooo.

Which kind blogger you be when you are writing like a drunkard. It's so incomprehensible, what you wrote.

(1) (Reply)

University In Aberdeen / I Need Information On North Korea / Akindele Tiwo - Poland Travel Agent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.