Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,769 members, 7,820,686 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Is This True About Salaries In The UK. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is This True About Salaries In The UK. (35519 Views)

January Salaries Of Federal Civil Servants To Be ‘delayed Beyond Normal’ – Memo / Is This True About People Working In Lagos? / Fidelity Bank Workers Protest Over Non Payment Of Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by OfficialAPCNig: 1:00pm On Dec 18, 2023
pedel:
You are not very intelligent.
I work and live in England. I pay my taxes here.
Furthermore, I don't want to call you a fool, not because you are not one, but because it will violate Nairaland 2nd rule.

😯😯😯
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by Ijaya123: 1:01pm On Dec 18, 2023
pedel:
False information.
You pay 0% tax on the first £12,570. 20% basic rate tax on the part of your income which falls into the next tax bracket (£12,571 up to £50,270). This means you'll pay 20% tax on £37,700.
Anything you earn above £50,271 to £125,140, is taxed at 40%.
Your income over £125,140, is taxed at 45%.
That's why you see those footballers with fleets of expensive cars. That is where they put all their earnings to avoid paying big taxes.

You mean those expensive cars are tax free?

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by pquaver(m): 1:06pm On Dec 18, 2023
pedel:
False information.
You pay 0% tax on the first £12,570. 20% basic rate tax on the part of your income which falls into the next tax bracket (£12,571 up to £50,270). This means you'll pay 20% tax on £37,700.
That's why you see those footballers with fleets of expensive cars. That is where they put all their earnings to avoid paying big taxes.

Omo Uk is good ooo... 20%tax imagine... While deutschland use knife dey cut am 40%.. Straight uo without looking at uche face.. Mehn..
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by GreatManBee: 1:08pm On Dec 18, 2023
pedel:
False information.
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by VULCAN(m): 1:11pm On Dec 18, 2023
You did well till you got to the last two sentences.

A luxury car is not tax exempt for an employee.

The footballers apply tax avoidance by incorporating themselves as a business and paying themselves as an individual
a reasonable salary which is the only part of their earnings that is heavily taxed.

The rest is bought under their corporation which pays corporate tax after most of their frivolous expenses have been written off.

pedel:
False information.

4 Likes

Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by imagrg(m): 1:13pm On Dec 18, 2023
Tell dem!
Princewill1:
Yesterday I opened a thread on "11 Reasons Why You Should Not Japa From Nigeria"

Reason No. 11 has something to do with this topic. Let me quote it below:

11.) NO RAT RACE OR EXTREME TAXATION IN NIGERIA:

You will labour abroad for a month and the rigged system will use "high taxation, high cost of living and the scam credit system" to return everything back to the system in order for you to repeat the circle again. In a bid not to go homeless on the cold streets, and also to put food on your table, you have no other option than to keep repeating the circle until the time you will finish your term of slavery due to old age, then your children will start where you stopped and the circle continues.

Truth is, the entire world is controlled by the globalists in the West, the further away you're from the West and it's entanglements the freer you will become. If the 1% elite in the West removes the rigging in the system you will be able to secure enough bags and retire early. But they stands to lose if people starts excaping the system early, they need your manpower for longer period of time to maintain their industries and establishments. This explains why the more income you earn there, the more rediculous taxes you pays because the system is continously gauging you and the tax system (one of it's tools of control) is strictly and heavily guided, defaulters risks jail term. The system was programmed in a way that you will never get enough in order not for you to start thinking of excaping the slave camp early until you finish your term of slavery.

This is one of reasons why rich and exposed Nigerians don't fancy living abroad. Even most African ex-footballers returns home immediately after the end of their career in Europe. An average Nigerian coming from lack, hunger and extreme poverty and who is daydreaming of Japa won't be able to see this anomaly.

Living in Nigeria will provide you the opportunity to excape Matrix.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by obailala(m): 1:16pm On Dec 18, 2023
DeOTR:
I rejected an offer which came with relocation to the UK sometime last year for this reason.
If this is truly the reason a person rejected an offer, then 'sorry' is their name cos their decision was built on misinformation and ignorance. There's no way a person who earns more would go home with less income than a person who earns less.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by DDIA: 1:18pm On Dec 18, 2023
mrvitalis:

No first 15k abi 12k is tax free
The extra till 50k is taxed at 20%
The extra above 51k is taxed at 40%

Say you earn £125k

Your tax is

0.2 x 38 =7.6
0.4 x 75 = 30

So your total federal tax would be 37.6 k pounds

But toy still have county tax, road tax, health insurance etc.. You would end up paying over 45k

Correction 👉 37.6 k
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by uvie66: 1:23pm On Dec 18, 2023
Luckysbab:

How does spending on expensive cars help them avoid taxes?
... the thing weak me because we all know when you buy a brand new car, and it gets to you house it has already depreciated in value.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by uvie66: 1:24pm On Dec 18, 2023
LaIabobo:
Not true. People should learn how tax deductions work.
40% is only paid on the £1000 above 50k
Someone earning 49k takes home £3111 after tax.
51k takes home £3219 after tax
,.... and all these information is available on Google for free.
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by InvertedHammer: 1:25pm On Dec 18, 2023
Nice2023:
If you earn form 50k pounds downwards you pay only 20% tax

If you earn from 51k pounds to 125k pounds you pay 40% tax.

So you rather remain at 49k than accept 50/60k pounds salary.
/
Taxation is not straightforward like that. While they tax, it is up to individual taxpayers to channel their funds or expenses in tax deductible ways to come out ahead. The way someone earning £125k moves with his money may make him pay less taxes overall than someone earning £51k. I am assuming UK tax system is similar to US tax system.
Generally if a bulk of the salary is coming from overtime work, the employee is screwed.
/
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by Yankee101: 1:27pm On Dec 18, 2023
There are tiers of tax rates in some developed countries

For America in 2023

Tax Rate For Single Filers For Married Individuals (Joint)

10% $0 to $11,000 $0 to $22,000
12% $11,000 to $44,725 $22,000 to $89,450
22% $44,725 to $95,375 $89,450 to $190,750
24% $95,375 to $182,100 $190,750 to
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by REGINALD001(m): 1:34pm On Dec 18, 2023
inoki247:
Lol I just hope by 2024 all this UK this and that go stop....

Like I don't understand the color of UK people problem anymore....

Mr brother ONYE ERIRI ERI, tax is not even my problem in this UK because you are seeing the good things your tax is being used for, my problem is COLD, seems this year's cold has some piercing atoms and we have not even entered the main winter sef ........ My 5" gbola has shrinked to 3" just in one month......wetin go come happen in February.

Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by haryomikun(m): 1:52pm On Dec 18, 2023
pedel:
Furthermore, I don't want to call you a fool, not because you are not one, but because it will violate Nairaland 2nd rule.

This is one of the best and funniest insults I’ve heard in recent times 😭

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by Omobalo67: 2:08pm On Dec 18, 2023
Princewill1:
Yesterday I opened a thread on "11 Reasons Why You Should Not Japa From Nigeria"

Reason No. 11 has something to do with this topic. Let me quote it below:

11.) NO RAT RACE OR EXTREME TAXATION IN NIGERIA:

You will labour abroad for a month and the rigged system will use "high taxation, high cost of living and the scam credit system" to return everything back to the system in order for you to repeat the circle again. In a bid not to go homeless on the cold streets, and also to put food on your table, you have no other option than to keep repeating the circle until the time you will finish your term of slavery due to old age, then your children will start where you stopped and the circle continues.

Truth is, the entire world is controlled by the globalists in the West, the further away you're from the West and it's entanglements the freer you will become. If the 1% elite in the West removes the rigging in the system you will be able to secure enough bags and retire early. But they stands to lose if people starts excaping the system early, they need your manpower for longer period of time to maintain their industries and establishments. This explains why the more income you earn there, the more rediculous taxes you pays because the system is continously gauging you and the tax system (one of it's tools of control) is strictly and heavily guided, defaulters risks jail term. The system was programmed in a way that you will never get enough in order not for you to start thinking of excaping the slave camp early until you finish your term of slavery.

This is one of reasons why rich and exposed Nigerians don't fancy living abroad. Even most African ex-footballers returns home immediately after the end of their career in Europe. An average Nigerian coming from lack, hunger and extreme poverty and who is daydreaming of Japa won't be able to see this anomaly.

Living in Nigeria will provide you the opportunity to excape Matrix.

Excellent.

Another question you need to answer is for how long can you stay out of job in that system compared to Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by abuhusna1: 2:09pm On Dec 18, 2023
This will give you idea of how much taxes high income earners pays. Attached is leaked rajeem sterling payslip from man city. Earned 11 million paid 5 million tax in 1 year

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by pragmatistm(m): 2:12pm On Dec 18, 2023
Replace your PC CMOS battery. Easy to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-VzqqC_7YE
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by airsaylongcome: 2:14pm On Dec 18, 2023
Bluntemperor:

So, why did you say OP Statement is false and what is the difference between what you typed and the OP' s own?
Always Calming down!

The OP is insinuating that someone on £49k has a higher take home than someone at £51k. Which is not true

2 Likes

Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by pedel: 2:26pm On Dec 18, 2023
You are right and that doesn’t mean I am wrong.
My cars are own by the company I fully own.
All my fuel and car repairs are done from the company account.
Most of my clothing are work clothes.
This is the game the rich people play.
My trips to Nigeria are all business trips (not holidays).
They are all paid for from my company account.
That’s how the rich write off expenses from their taxes.
Grant Cardone wrote off his Gulfstream jet against his tax. You can Google it.
I used footballers as example because that’s what an average Nigerian can relate with.
Atiku paid less than N5m as tax according to his tax clearance certificate prior to the election.
Personal finance should be a mandatory course in Nigeria for secondary school students.
Reading Robert Kiyosaki’s Rich Dad, Poor Dad would have made this post unnecessary.
You are not an average Nigerian and it’s pleasure interacting with you.

VULCAN:
You did well till you got to the last two sentences.

A luxury car is not tax exempt for an employee.

The footballers apply tax avoidance by incorporating themselves as a business and paying themselves as an individual
a reasonable salary which is the only part of their earnings that is heavily taxed.

The rest is bought under their corporation which pays corporate tax after most of their frivolous expenses have been written off.

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by Amonijosh1: 2:28pm On Dec 18, 2023
Its not new, even naija operates the paye system, (Pay as you earn) the higher your pay, the higher the % rate used to calculate your income tax

1 Like

Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by pedel: 2:32pm On Dec 18, 2023
PAYE and Corporations tax are not the same.
Your employer deducts taxes from your PAYE earnings.
You pay taxes on your company earnings after you deduct all your expenses.
You do not have control over your deductibles if you are working for someone and earning salaries.

InvertedHammer:

/
Taxation is not straightforward like that. While they tax, it is up to individual taxpayers to channel their funds or expenses in tax deductible ways to come out ahead. The way someone earning £125k moves with his money may make him pay less taxes overall than someone earning £51k. I am assuming UK tax system is similar to US tax system.
Generally if a bulk of the salary is coming from overtime work, the employee is screwed.
/
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by nedekid: 2:41pm On Dec 18, 2023
pedel:

Lol
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by rafcrown(m): 2:53pm On Dec 18, 2023
What I know for sure is that they pay salaries on the agreed upon date unlike one area close the zoo and Niger river
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by Chetas81(m): 3:08pm On Dec 18, 2023
WHEN YOU GUYS EAT FINISH, YOU BEGIN TO POST RUBBISH FOR THOSE WHO ENJOY IT
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by sinero: 3:21pm On Dec 18, 2023
pedel:
False information.

So what's d difference between ur comment and what the OP posted? Over sabi
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by kpolli(m): 3:28pm On Dec 18, 2023
pedel:
False information.

Doesn't that mean that someone who received 49k paid 20% of 36430 which is 7286 with 41714 left vs 51k that paid 40% of 38430 which is 15372 with 35628 left.

How is this false information then if from your own information; it's better to earn 49k?
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by t2luv1: 3:31pm On Dec 18, 2023
pedel:
False information.

Ever heard of incorporation? Tell whomever you working for to pay you with 1099. I am using an example of a US setup. Get paid $160k as a 1099 turnaround and pay yourself 80K. You only pay your actual tax rate of 35% on the 80K. At tax filing time after claiming all your business deductions residual in the corporate account is 40K guess what you only pay 15% on that 40K the rest is yours. I voted for Trump in 2016 because he promised to increase pass-through corporate amount from 20K to 100K and to my surprise he did. as long as final residual is less than 100K, partner it is all yours. Thanks to Trump
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by viodemus: 3:34pm On Dec 18, 2023
It is called economic stimulation. Not too good when you are the one making the money and you can't spend it fast enough, with an accounting trail.

The underlying thing is accountability. Not enstranglement like the kinds of intent, if a country like Nigeria does it.

Taxes are a way to generate pay, but they are societal foundations set before hand, to ensure that the taxes will help stimulate and add to the overall financial generation.
Sometimes tho, the taxes can be depressing. If you are in these countries without a poor country obligation, then it works. Because these countries factor just for you alone, or your immediate family in their country that they know about; not planned for you and your people located in Nigeria or somewhere else.

Anyway, Nigeria (or let me say the SE and cousins), should get the expertise of electricity generation and distribution, down to a T, first. Be an expert in the building of that first, then fix your land laws and have a good urban and regional planning that is filled with wisdom.;, then start boosting the agriculture, while simultaneously starting a broad tax system that covers all spheres.

This complex but straight forward financial tactics for the benefit of all, in Nigeria, will become a full time corruption avenue. No accountability, no foresight, no wisdom, etc. Even now, the little tax program going on in Nigeria, is not dependable. It is highly corrupt and almost so criminal intended, that it lacks trust and accountability.

You pay tax, think you are following the rules, but everyday, one alaye, or one ekelebe, or one maybe fake tax official can come and claim one thing or whatever, and make you pay for this and that; it is even worse with the alayes and ekelebe, see all the roadblocks and bustop harassment going on daily. If America and UK ran their economies like that, how will they have gotten a successful economic countries.

In Nigeria, they can play on your intelligence because it is a docile society. No accountability at all. No electricity for credibility. A useless country on anything sensible. They will rather carry their useless tribal and religious law, and put it over federal law. A highly useless country. This is why I pray for the success of the SE and cousins, so that even if it's starting with a Finland level of success, that is something.
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by femi4: 3:35pm On Dec 18, 2023
Nice2023:
If you earn form 50k pounds downwards you pay only 20% tax

If you earn from 51k pounds to 125k pounds you pay 40% tax.

So you rather remain at 49k than accept 50/60k pounds salary.
Yes, the higher you earn....the more you give back to the government. That's even outside your regular tax. The system is designed to make you comfortable but enrich the government.
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by t2luv1: 3:55pm On Dec 18, 2023
pedel:
You are right and that doesn’t mean I am wrong.
My cars are own by the company I fully own.
All my fuel and car repairs are done from the company account.
Most of my clothing are work clothes.
This is the game the rich people play.
My trips to Nigeria are all business trips (not holidays).
They are all paid for from my company account.
That’s how the rich write off expenses from their taxes.
Grant Cardone wrote off his Gulfstream jet against his tax. You can Google it.
I used footballers as example because that’s what an average Nigerian can relate with.
Atiku paid less than N5m as tax according to his tax clearance certificate prior to the election.
Personal finance should be a mandatory course in Nigeria for secondary school students.
Reading Robert Kiyosaki’s Rich Dad, Poor Dad would have made this post unnecessary.
You are not an average Nigerian and it’s pleasure interacting with you.

I do the same thing as you are doing. The only exception is that the car I use is registered to in my name and not the corporation. I bought a car from the auction for $7K four years ago. Each year I claim over 20K in business mileages. You do the math on that one all from a 7K car.
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by Emeskhalifa(m): 3:55pm On Dec 18, 2023
pedel:

But you've successfully called him a full without violating 2md rule na😂😂
Re: Is This True About Salaries In The UK. by richie240: 3:56pm On Dec 18, 2023
BloomingDale:
Leke Agba the liar. 20% will be paid on the first 50,000 and 40% will be paid on the rest, which is 1000. Some amount should be tax free though (probably the first 10,000 or so). I used the American tax system. Should not be much difference, just the amt will defer.
My thoughts exactly.
It's on pro-rata basis.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My MD Compensated Me After The Slap. / How Does one Handle Evil And Diabolism In Work Environments? / Man Rescued From 150 Ft Deep Well In Igando (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.