Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,093 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 (30293 Views)

The US Will Not Reject Old Dollar Notes From January 2023 / Woman Shows Off Her Savings From January To December (Photos,Video) / Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by airsaylongcome: 10:09pm On Dec 14, 2023
aieromon:

Sahad Stores doesn't sell alcohol.
Grand Square doesn't sell alcohol.
WellCare launched their services without alcohol sales.

This has nothing to do with low demand. They couldn't compete because of the type of business strategy they implemented.

You have mentioned locally owned stores with different ownership and operating overheads. It's like saying because Seplat can produce oil from barely productive oil well then Shell or Chevron should. Shoprite is a bigger multinational brand compared to Sahad or Grand Square.

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by aylipple: 10:11pm On Dec 14, 2023
Anyone who knows the Ado Bayero Mall in Kano & the below average patronage it receives from Kano residents and visitors alike, would've known that this day would eventually come.

Have you seen the number of hugely successful, highly patronized & affordable markets in Kano State? Markets that attract visitors from neighboring countries such as Niger, Chad, etc apart from pastries, frozen foods, sea food & junk food, there's nothing ShopRite sells that you wont find in most of these big markets in Kano & at far cheaper rates than what obtains inside the mall.

Nonetheless, I feel for those who are about to become unemployed due to this business decision by ShopRite; I wish them best of luck for the future.

4 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by iamtardey: 10:11pm On Dec 14, 2023
campbelljosh:
Na small small closure till e reach the whole country. 9ja don cast
if e don cast e don cast be that o.✌🏿
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by teadrake(m): 10:15pm On Dec 14, 2023
Dreamhighnow:
Tooor

E go favour u and your family

I will personally vote tinubu next election. Sebi u na no wan get sense

The most annoying part is that a lot of people who can barely feed themselves are the ones shouting jagaban up and down.

One called me recently and saying that Baba really disappointed them. That he doesn't know e be baba buruku. I was like I tried to convince u during election but una dey abuse me

Anyway make una dey enjoy una renewed shege.
While the exit of ShopRite, Ado Bayero Mall is unfortunate, it has little to do with your highlighted point. I live in Kano and I have patronized them severally. One of the challenges being faced at ShopRite (Kano Branch) is long waiting time for you to make payment. On the counter, you only have 2-3 people attending to customers. This discourage patronage. What I think really dealt a big blow to ShopRite in Kano is the enormous availability of Malls in every corner whose price of goods are extremely competitive. Sufi Mart just opened a new branch just directly opposite ShopRite.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Basicend: 10:21pm On Dec 14, 2023
Hmm. . Tinubu's govt. . Almost all business concerns are very chocked to their neck. .

International businesses are all running away. . What a shame. .

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Faposky95: 10:26pm On Dec 14, 2023
malali:
Capital flight

There is no business that can survive selling anything imported

Reason $1= 1200naira
The goods are now too expensive
Nigerians have very low purchasing power
These shops cannot make profit servicing only the few rich people in the country.
They are better off in a country with a buoyant middle class......

More shops will be closed, more foreign companies will leave as well.

Please Stop singing that song "Bola on your mandate"......You make the whole government look like a circus

.... on top, man Afrique no fit buy beer drink.....?!
Abeg, I'm thirsty!!!!!!!

Abeg leave come my street, una go balance
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by moshuur(m): 10:28pm On Dec 14, 2023
Fasindo:
shocked

ShopRite can go well ever dey come from I basically don't care.

As long as aboki that sales galo galo, fura da nunu, massa are all active in the street of Kano business will keep booming
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Achoghim: 10:33pm On Dec 14, 2023
The first sector that is going to die off in this period of great Tinubulation is the Fast moving consumer goods (FMCG) market. The combination of import dependency, Forex scarcity, high import duties, dwindling value of the local currency which has also caused a steady decline in the purchasing power of the people means that the market is shrinking. Our big population means nothing if we don't have the money to spend and the consumer goods market is very sensitive to that. It's those with enough disposable income that go shopping. Except these supermarket brands, like Roban and ShopRite reinvent themselves, they'll be closing shop sooner than we think.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Kingrshd3: 10:45pm On Dec 14, 2023
Even if Obi or atiku enter we will still get same effect since they all want to remove subsidy ..

During next election even if PDP or LP finally win then all APC member will decamp to same party and still run the country this way 🤔

So who is fooling who in this country

So it's not about jagabam or APC it's about all d leaders we have mbok 😡

Dreamhighnow:
Tooor

The most annoying part is that a lot of people who can barely feed themselves are the ones shouting jagaban up and down.

One called me recently and saying that Baba really disappointed them. That he doesn't know e be baba buruku. I was like I tried to convince u during election but una dey abuse me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by adecz: 10:48pm On Dec 14, 2023
APC with their senseless policies are
gradually killing the country...

Nigerians Japa sotay different companies
and businesses don begin follow the
Japa syndrome..

And Our soja boys are sleeping❗️❗️💤💤💤

Wetin we wan wake up to
hear now be,

"Fellow Nigerians" 🎙️

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Kbanka: 10:55pm On Dec 14, 2023
When they said they were leaving Nigeria completely, i was always hanging out at their branches waiting for them to do giveaway but then no do. They ddnt even leave sef. I hope they don’t disappoint this time around

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by XAUBulls: 10:57pm On Dec 14, 2023
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by NewDea4: 11:10pm On Dec 14, 2023
Nemere2020:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nairametrics.com/2023/12/14/shoprite-to-cease-operation-in-kano-from-january-2024/%3famp=1

ShopRite keeeeaviiiiiing...on a jet plane/Don't know if they'll be back again🎵🎵🎵
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Nwaokunkpara: 11:12pm On Dec 14, 2023
Creamypie:
Ah. Money no dey kano again? We hear am too bad since APC come in. Inflation and loss in value of naira, killing power to purchase. Asaba branch don close teytey

Asaba branch key?
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Streetdoctor: 11:16pm On Dec 14, 2023
Kingrshd3:
Even if Obi or atiku enter we will still get same effect since they all want to remove subsidy ..

During next election even if PDP or LP finally win then all APC member will decamp to same party and still run the country this way 🤔

When d idiot Tinubu was telling u guys whether na statistics we go chop, una no ask am anything.
Removing subsidy is one thing, tackle d effects is another thing.
U guys should just admit that Tinubu is a failure and stop giving excuse. Why's it that Yorubas supported failure for 8years and still supporting another failure. Una no dey tire

4 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by joelison(m): 11:18pm On Dec 14, 2023
Creamypie:
Ah. Money no dey kano again? We hear am too bad since APC come in. Inflation and loss in value of naira, killing power to purchase. Asaba branch don close teytey

Really?? I never knew. Let me verify
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by ssgentle: 11:22pm On Dec 14, 2023
Nemere2020:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nairametrics.com/2023/12/14/shoprite-to-cease-operation-in-kano-from-january-2024/%3famp=1

Kano has more than enough supermarkets and hypermarkets, the stiff competition in the state chase away ShopRite from Kano. There is no monopoly for ShopRite the ground is level for everyone.

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Alphanancy: 11:30pm On Dec 14, 2023
Creamypie:
Which Asaba branch? Stop lieing.
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by PaulH07: 11:47pm On Dec 14, 2023
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by naijapikin2(m): 11:58pm On Dec 14, 2023
It's dstv and go tv that should shut their entire operations in nigeria.

They q a bunch of scammers.
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by 1972xy: 12:33am On Dec 15, 2023
Why is it that shop right is doing very well in places like Lagos, Akure, Ibadan and portharcourt?
The answer is very simple.
The environment gives shopright to strife . There is no Islamic police to arrest people taking alcohol in the shop.
How can a business survive without tolerance .?
Sales of alcohol is not allowed. No party hall is accommodated.
And ,you want to collect tax. Who does that?

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Bigchristo: 12:39am On Dec 15, 2023
Nemere2020:

Y’all thought Tinubu and APC did well by removing subsidies, cost of diesel and fuel is chasing companies out of Nigeria, no matter how rich the company is if there’s lapses in a particular location they will close it down because there’s no profit coming out of that place, plenty retail store and companies will be relocating from Nigeria coming year make una Dey play
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Emma1Oj(m): 12:46am On Dec 15, 2023
Dreamhighnow:
Tooor

Tinubu didn't win. He was rigged in by inec chairman and some govnors who up turn the vote of their state.

4 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by favor914: 12:50am On Dec 15, 2023
Dreamhighnow:
Tooor

Certified Failure, so it is because of Bola Tinubu that shoprite is exciting Kano State?
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by favor914: 12:51am On Dec 15, 2023
Emma1Oj:
Tinubu didn't win. He was rigged in by inec chairman and some govnors who up turn the vote of their state.
Keep deceiving yourself, you wouldn’t go & look for a scheme to better your life, keep waiting for Federal Government handouts, Lazy Almijiri.
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by favor914: 12:53am On Dec 15, 2023
ahaz:

Anything or anyone Yorubas support always ends up as disaster.
Give Yorubas company to manage, they will liquidate it use the money for owambe..
Yorubas liquidated First bank before Obj pumped more money into it.
They liquidated Nigerian breweries.
They killed Tate and lyle.
They killed lever brothers.
They buried ETISALAT.
They killed Nigeria Airways.
They stole dry Nigerian National shipping Line.
They killed All states trust bank, Globe bank, Crystal bank, Federal mortgage bank, etc.
They destroyed our reffinaries,layed the blue print for institutional corruption in Nigeria amongst all.
Yorubas the shameless problems of Nigeria.
All these hate, because a Yoruba man as usual defeated an Igbo man in a general election?

It is still these same kind of mad mindedness that deceived them to go & fight a war, that they still haven’t gotten over after over 50 years.

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Dreamhighnow(m): 12:53am On Dec 15, 2023
Kingrshd3:

The change Nigeria need start from a president we never have. Who I don't know. But the real change will start from the office

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch / How To Withdraw From Payza / Tired Of Being Broke? See How To Earn Passive Income In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.