Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,315 members, 7,811,943 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:19 AM

Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 (30280 Views)

The US Will Not Reject Old Dollar Notes From January 2023 / Woman Shows Off Her Savings From January To December (Photos,Video) / Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by favor914: 12:56am On Dec 15, 2023
Dreamhighnow:

The change Nigeria need start from a president we never have. Who I don't know. But the real change will start from the office
The President is only a reflection of his corrupt subjects, you cannot plant coco yam, & expect to reap maize.

Only a foolish person, will waste their time trying to help this race of ungrateful things.
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Bimpe29: 12:58am On Dec 15, 2023
Hundreds of jobs will be lost. Families will be in serious financial difficulties. God will help us in Naija.
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Lastmankc(m): 1:33am On Dec 15, 2023
Dreamhighnow:
Tooor

E go favour u and your family

I will personally vote tinubu next election. Sebi u na no wan get sense

The most annoying part is that a lot of people who can barely feed themselves are the ones shouting jagaban up and down.

One called me recently and saying that Baba really disappointed them. That he doesn't know e be baba buruku. I was like I tried to convince u during election but una dey abuse me

Anyway make una dey enjoy una renewed shege.
Don't mind them,one of them that we usually nicknamed "emilokan"was begging for money and I told him to go and meet tinubu to collect money from him he was very angry.I told him that if he likes,he can go and commit suicide that I don't care .If you see how the guy was abusing me because of tinubu during the election.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Yestogood: 1:44am On Dec 15, 2023
Creamypie:
Ah. Money no dey kano again? We hear am too bad since APC come in. Inflation and loss in value of naira, killing power to purchase.

Sahad and the stores owned and operated by their brothers are doing just fine in Kano. They shop where the atmosphere reminds them of their culture. They do the same even in Abuja.
Kano has enough money. They just don't patronise outsiders that much.

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by ImperialYoruba: 1:58am On Dec 15, 2023
1. They cant sell alcohol
2. All the ready to eat meals must meet Halal standards
3. The two points above puts strain on their supply chain.

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by ItisWell22(f): 2:11am On Dec 15, 2023
Fasindo:
shocked

ShopRite can go well ever dey come from I basically don't care.

As long as aboki that sales galo galo, fura da nunu, massa are all active in the street of Kano business will keep booming

It’s garo-garo, fura da nono..

Good morning…

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by eazye4u133(m): 2:12am On Dec 15, 2023
RomanGreen:
For each closure comes with job losses and jon losses throws families into penury. Tinubu and his praise singers how market?

All of you that supported this senseless govt will have sense by force

I thought 🤔 about this as much...God help us.
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by dododawa1: 3:13am On Dec 15, 2023
Dreamhighnow:
Tooor

The most annoying part is that a lot of people who can barely feed themselves are the ones shouting jagaban up and down.

One called me recently and saying that Baba really disappointed them. That he doesn't know e be baba buruku. I was like I tried to convince u during election but una dey abuse me

all POlITICIANS are d same, obi not left out.
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by tsdarkside(m): 3:28am On Dec 15, 2023
they should all leave....

local producers will take over....
its even a good thing sef....
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by tsdarkside(m): 3:30am On Dec 15, 2023
dododawa1:
all POlITICIANS are d same, obi not left out.

i dont understand....

why does it cost soo much....??
this politicians are not normal in the head....
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by freemanq(m): 3:37am On Dec 15, 2023
Nigeria economy needs serious Deliverance
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by sulakishop(m): 3:46am On Dec 15, 2023
E lo fokan bale
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by OmoFiditi: 4:10am On Dec 15, 2023
Na statistics we go chop? ~ Thiefnuubbu ole (2023)
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by IPDGP: 4:16am On Dec 15, 2023
Dreamhighnow:
Tooor

Bro don't be surprised that by next election once they start sharing rice and some cash , he fit forget the shege of 4years

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by rummmy: 4:16am On Dec 15, 2023
The Dubai of Islamic north
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by TOPCRUISE(m): 4:30am On Dec 15, 2023
Those that are saying it will favour them and their family will be happy that this news will not favour others
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Kay25(m): 4:42am On Dec 15, 2023
Dreamhighnow:
Tooor

Na only nigeria company dey close just stop dis nonsense and grow up
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Gerrard59(m): 4:43am On Dec 15, 2023
aieromon:
Shoprite business model is not sustainable in Kano. They should have studied the Sahad stores template.

What makes the Sahad's model different from ShopRite?
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by coputa(m): 4:43am On Dec 15, 2023
Kano state is one of the biggest and most populous states in Nigeria,that ShopRite is complaining of lack of sales is doubtable.

I think there are other factors that they may not want to disclose to the public.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Gerrard59(m): 4:44am On Dec 15, 2023
ImperialYoruba:
1. They cant sell alcohol
2. All the ready to eat meals must meet Halal standards
3. The two points above puts strain on their supply chain.

Number 2 does not count since the majority of customers are Muslims. Besides, almost all edible products in Nigeria are Halal-certified.
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Gerrard59(m): 4:46am On Dec 15, 2023
Yestogood:

Sahad and the stores owned and operated by their brothers are doing just fine in Kano. They shop where the atmosphere reminds them of their culture. They do the same even in Abuja.
Kano has enough money. They just don't patronise outsiders that much.

I see. Correct me please, does this mean ShopRite is more westernised to the average Kano resident than Sahad? If so, why do we crowds at ShopRite's premises during Islamic holidays?
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Gerrard59(m): 4:48am On Dec 15, 2023
Lastmankc:
Don't mind them,one of them that we usually nicknamed "emilokan"was begging for money and I told him to go and meet tinubu to collect money from him he was very angry.I told him that if he likes,he can go and commit suicide that I don't care .if you see how the guy was abusing me because of tinubu during the election.

Hold the grudge. Don't forgive or forget. If he was in your position, he would do worse.
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Gerrard59(m): 4:51am On Dec 15, 2023
seborrhic:
Unless you are into politics,yahoo yahoo or other corrupt or criminal acts that fetches money,the fuel price increase and naira devaluation were killers.
Imagine using majority of your income to buy diesel or fuel

Why are people not into solar in large numbers since that reduces their cost of electricity?
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Gerrard59(m): 4:51am On Dec 15, 2023
aieromon:

Sahad Stores doesn't sell alcohol.
Grand Square doesn't sell alcohol.
WellCare launched their services without alcohol sales.

This has nothing to do with low demand. They couldn't compete because of the type of business strategy they implemented.

Any idea what that was?
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Gerrard59(m): 4:55am On Dec 15, 2023
aylipple:
Anyone who knows the Ado Bayero Mall in Kano & the below average patronage it receives from Kano residents and visitors alike, would've known that this day would eventually come.

Have you seen the number of hugely successful, highly patronized & affordable markets in Kano State? Markets that attract visitors from neighboring countries such as Niger, Chad, etc apart from pastries, frozen foods, sea food & junk food, there's nothing ShopRite sells that you wont find in most of these big markets in Kano & at far cheaper rates than what obtains inside the mall.

Nonetheless, I feel for those who are about to become unemployed due to this business decision by ShopRite; I wish them best of luck for the future.

So, how come ShopRite thrives in Abuja and Lagos? I want to assume the one at Ikeja City Mall is the most successful and profitable store. Are residents in Lagos & Abuja not patronising local markets again? You will want to mention population, but remember, you said people from Niger and Chad enter Kano for shopping. Plus it is Northern Nigeria's most populous state.
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Gerrard59(m): 4:57am On Dec 15, 2023
teadrake:

Why the exit of ShopRite, Ado Bayero Mall is unfortunate, it has little to do with your highlighted point. I live in Kano and I have patronized them severally. One of the challenges being faced at ShopRite (Kano Branch) is long waiting time for you to make payment. On the counter, you only have 2-3 people attending to customers. This discourage patronage. What I think really dealt a big blow to ShopRite in Kano is the enormous availability of Malls in every corner whose price of goods are extremely competitive. Sufi Mart just opened a new branch just directly opposite ShopRite.

Long waiting times to pay: one might say employ more hands, but why do so when the patronage is low?

Other malls opened: argument would be drive them out of business by lowering ShopRite's prices since ShopRite is bigger. Walmart does this a lot when it opens in a new location with many small stores.

Anyway, thanks for your response.

P.S. Why While the exit of ShopRite

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Gerrard59(m): 5:01am On Dec 15, 2023
1972xy:
Why is it that shop right is doing very well in places like Lagos, Akure, Ibadan and portharcourt?
The answer is very simple.
The environment gives shopright to strife . There is no Islamic police to arrest people taking alcohol in the shop.
How can a business survive without tolerance .?
Sales of alcohol is not allowed. No party hall is accommodated.
And ,you want to collect tax. Who does that?

But some respondents have stated that Sahad stores thrive as well with no alcohol sold. Does alcohol make up a big percentage of a mall's revenue?
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by aieromon(m): 5:33am On Dec 15, 2023
Gerrard59:

Any idea what that was?

Stocking the same brand of products per store regardless of customer expectations and business/cultural environment.

For example, Shoprite Kano does not stock Arabian perfumes while Sahad has a dedicated section for perfumes from the Middle East.
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by aieromon(m): 5:37am On Dec 15, 2023
Gerrard59:

What makes the Sahad's model different from ShopRite?

This article best explains the model.

Retail dynamics is not the same as Lagos. In 2014, South African supermarket chain Shoprite opened its first northern Nigerian store in Kano, the region’s largest city. Shoprite had already been operating in Lagos and other parts of the country for several years.

According to Kalu, Shoprite is leaving money on the table by not being sensitive enough to local spending-power and consumer perceptions. He says many people in Kano perceive Shoprite as an elite brand. “Many people go to Shoprite as a recreational activity and to take pictures, not necessarily for shopping.”

Large parts of the population still prefer to shop at traditional markets. Kalu says cost-conscious consumers that do frequent modern stores, however, often choose local chains such as Sahad and Jifatu, which offer discounted prices. “Jifatu and Sahad understand the mindset of the people … They know the prices at traditional markets and neighbourhood stores, and just make theirs slightly cheaper.”

The phenomenon of kantin sauki (roughly translated as ‘low price shop’), is a prevalent value proposition of many local outlets. The game lies in been able to price popular brands with low margin and recoup the difference from higher-end brands that have a social ring to them.

He adds that retailers should learn to adapt their product mix to local needs and the way of life. Shoprite, for instance, needs to also offer bakery product variants that can compete with the many local bakeries in Kano.

Large northern Nigerian cities are regional trading hubs. FMCG distributors from neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon come to cities such Kano and Maiduguri to buy products that they then take back to their countries to sell. “More than 30% of the products coming into northern Nigeria are consumed in neighbouring countries,” explains Kalu.

Consumer goods manufacturers need to be cognisant of this when they develop their price points, packaging and sales teams.

https://www.howwemadeitinafrica.com/want-to-make-money-with-consumer-goods-in-northern-nigeria-heres-what-you-need-to-know/64464/
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by RevolverOcelot(m): 6:06am On Dec 15, 2023
malali:
Capital flight

[b]There is no business that can survive selling anything imported

Reason $1= 1200naira
The goods are now too expensive
Nigerians have very low purchasing power
These shops cannot make profit servicing only the few rich people in the country.
They are better off in a country with a buoyant middle class......

More shops will be closed, more foreign companies will leave as well.

Your Trade minister also has no clue what she is doing, you need someone who is tested and trusted, you can re-allocate her to another ministry, but get a trade minister thats ready on day one.

The senate should also start inviting all these ministers and questioning them on what are the measures they are taking to alleviate the sufferings of Nigerians. Tinubu should send another ministerial list to senate for clearance at least 2 for each potential ministry, so that the current ones can sit up and know that they are replaceable(Call them reserve bench ministers). We dont have to go through 4 years to know a non-performing minister !!!

Also, that mistaken identity bombing, No country should bomb its own citizens, In a civilized country thats
1-Grounds for impeaching the president. (You are the commander in chief, you swore an oath to serve and protect Nigerians).
2-The Army officer in-charge should have submitted his resignation honorably.
3-There should have been a ruthless senate hearing , where the army should have been cut to size and held accountable, killing Nigerian citizens mistaken for terrorists is high up there as treason in a country thats not at war ?? Even Ukraine,Russia,Hamas and Isreal are not killing their own citizens by mistake.

Sweeping this under the carpet shows weakness from a Commander in Chief.

Please Stop singing that song "Bola on your mandate"......You make the whole government look like a circus. It only makes the Commander in chief look like the Commander in Clowns[/b]

It's true all those people shouting "on your mandate we stand" have been very silent recently.
Meanwhile how and why should the min of trade an investment spend 1billion naira on a trip to Switzerland? Abeg Efcc and Icpc come see something abeg!
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Mrpojj(m): 6:31am On Dec 15, 2023
Nemere2020:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nairametrics.com/2023/12/14/shoprite-to-cease-operation-in-kano-from-january-2024/%3famp=1
When we say vote right , people will say politicians are all the same.....
Politicians are not all the same oh
Vote the once that have little conscience
Re: Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 by Fidecoo(m): 6:35am On Dec 15, 2023
Nemere2020:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nairametrics.com/2023/12/14/shoprite-to-cease-operation-in-kano-from-january-2024/%3famp=1

free stuff NG. Where you dey?oya
Come and praise, paint and glorify this situation as heaven again.
My prayers for you is, may you have a taste of this unfavourable and hellish situation people are going through in this country.
May you see frustration,
Hardship,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch / GTB Suspends International Transaction On Naira Cards / Top Payment Gateways In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.