Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,368 members, 7,819,319 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali (20034 Views)

Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League / Mourinho: Osimhen Is On The Same Level With Drogba But Needs To Stop Diving / Obasanjo, Ambode And Oshoala At The Aiteo CAF Awards (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by ExudeLoveToAll: 10:26am On Dec 15, 2023
omoowhe:
They'll remember jay jay for years to come, give osimhen few years and no one will talk about him, just like Mikel that won all the trophies in football! You can't compare a legend with a goalscorer

Okocha will be talked about decades to come while osimen enjoy that luxury after his career? Time will tell.

4 Likes

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by ExudeLoveToAll: 10:27am On Dec 15, 2023
Notatribalist:
Well,okocha entertains people. He made me paid money to watch Bolton wonderers,and I Everytime I did I got the value for my money. Football is an entertaining game. Thank you Jay Jay,your types are no more playing the game

Okocha was phenomenal, one of a kind.

People don't know legendary, 10 years after he retires let's see who talks about him.

5 Likes

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by obinna58(m): 10:27am On Dec 15, 2023
robosky02

Shey you don see am now when I said there’s no honor in oshimen’s award, it was given as best loser and you Dey lecture me

Isn’t he suppose to be bigger than okocha since okocha didn’t win it

It’s now controversy

Same people wey praise am still no gree he is bigger than okocha
Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 10:28am On Dec 15, 2023
Steve Dede writing like a typical agbado Lagos Ibadan journalist. Allow this boy enjoy his career without lumping him with a legend who he respects massively. What is wrong with these people sef ?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by Rejouir: 10:28am On Dec 15, 2023
GanagiBitrus:
Too early in his career to start making such comparisons & talking of greatness.

"It's Only After Running the Race that you Count the Miles"
osimhen, can't make such statement, his not even someone that is concerned about competition, his just living life with hardwork. All these things are bloggers ways to gain traffic. I have met him, very simple and jovial.
Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by Catapault: 10:30am On Dec 15, 2023
kingsways:
Okocha won Africa Cup of Nations, olympic gold and played in three world cups

And can do things with the ball that Osimhen can’t even dream of doing.

DO YOU PEOPLE REALISE THAT JAY JAY OKOCHA IS THE MOST SKILFUL PLAYER IN WORLD FOOTBALL HISTORY?

NAME ME ONE PLAYER THAT HAS MORE SKILLS THAN JAY JAY OKOCHA IN HISTORY.

JUST ONE.

1 Like

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by oliverwrites: 10:31am On Dec 15, 2023
Gboom:

In Nigerian context Okocha for now is way bigger than Osimhen, he went to the world cup thrice, won African cup of nations and Olympic gold medal in football.
Even in the context of the world. Only kids who didn't see Okocha play will write that rubbish.

4 Likes

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by tiswell(m): 10:33am On Dec 15, 2023
robosky02:
Na waoo

Somebody is trying to shake the table.

For me : e never reach that level yet.

By the way

That bring the question, what really makes a man great in football

Is it the awards or
The exceptional display

laurels is the yardstick for measuring greatness in football.

Victor,as it stands now has achieved more in football than JJ.
Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by MayowaTallguy: 10:34am On Dec 15, 2023
whippersnapper:
that yakubu wey you call naim spoil everything. Even my kid brother who plays street football has more legacy than aiyegbeni
Forget about that wc and check the records
Yakubu no be small pikin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by pquaver(m): 10:34am On Dec 15, 2023
Curse777:
cool

Okocha isn't too ambitious and about Awards, he just enjoys the game dribbling and showing skills

Osimhen is an Orphan who survived rough condition to reach his peak, he is very hungry for success

Pele, Ronaldinho, Maradona, Okocha.... This men were Football entertainers, they give you joy while playing

Messi, Ronaldo, Osimhen... This guys are about goals, trophy and winning not entertainment

Remove messi from Ur list messi combines Entertainment with seriousness..man IS a joy to watch ..unless U r a pendifan..the Joy will be bitter in Ur mouth

2 Likes

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by jaytime(m): 10:36am On Dec 15, 2023
Too early to compare. Even Osimhen will not like this kind of comparison, it's an insult to the great Jay Jay. Man was phenomenal during his playing days; he wasn't just lucky to win many laurels.

1 Like

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by GanagiBitrus: 10:36am On Dec 15, 2023
Rejouir:
osimhen, can't make such statement, his not even someone that is concerned about competition, his just living life with hardwork. All these things are bloggers ways to gain traffic. I have met him, very simple and jovial.
Right. I was actually referring to the so called journalist that made the statement.

1 Like

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by Catapault: 10:38am On Dec 15, 2023
tiswell:
laurels is the yardstick for measuring greatness in football.

Victor,as it stands now has achieved more in football than JJ.

Bullshiit.

1 Like

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by DarkCaesar(m): 10:38am On Dec 15, 2023
robosky02:
Na waoo

By the way

Is it the awards or
The exceptional display

Exceptional display inevitably leads to awards both personal and collective………make do with this what you can
Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by FireUpNow(m): 10:38am On Dec 15, 2023
This journalist just like to find trouble sha. Me and I totally disagree oo. Okacha is a phenomenon.. He played football with joy and passion. Oga journalist dey shake table ooo

3 Likes

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 15, 2023
Curse777:
cool

Okocha isn't too ambitious and about Awards, he just enjoys the game dribbling and showing skills

Osimhen is an Orphan who survived rough condition to reach his peak, he is very hungry for success

Pele, Ronaldinho, Maradona, Okocha.... This men were Football entertainers, they give you joy while playing

Messi, Ronaldo, Osimhen... This guys are about goals, trophy and winning not entertainment

Bros na, remove Messi from that list. He's one of the greatest playmakers (entertainers) there ever would be. Back to the matter, you are right minus Messi.

1 Like

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by Elibaba1: 10:41am On Dec 15, 2023
Ade1177:

Really I didn't even know Mikel won that much trophies

I just see him as a defensive midfielder that mourinho used very well

Mikel won a lot of Trophies and also participated in them funny enough. For example, He played his best game in a Chelsea Shirt in the 2012 UEFA Champions League final playing over 120 minutes and had the second best rating in that game after Drogba. He also played in the 2012 F.A cup final which they won Liverpool. Played all the games in AFCON 2013 the last time Super Eagles won it (providing the most Assists at the Tournament in South Africa with Four (4) assist)
He Captained Team Nigeria to a bronze medal in 2016 at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. In fact that was the game that cost him his place at Chelsea. Man is an achiever no cap.

1 Like

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by obinna58(m): 10:42am On Dec 15, 2023
robosky02:
Na waoo

By the way

Is it the awards or
The exceptional display

Shey na you Dey lecture me in that thread, if you think say oshimen deserves that award then why wouldn’t you agree he’s a bigger player

Are you a Hypocrite

2 Likes

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by Giannakopoulos(f): 10:43am On Dec 15, 2023
Goal scoring is now football , ok o
robosky02:
Nigerian journalist claims Osimhen is now greater than Victor Osimhen

Following the CAF Men's Player of the Year triumph over Mohammed Salah and Achraf Hakimi, a renowned Nigerian journalist claimed Victor Osimhen has surpassed JJ Okocha's legacy in Nigerian football.

Napoli striker Victor Osimhen ended Nigeria’s 24-year wait for a CAF Men’s Footballer of the Year Award, and this has prompted comparisons with other legends of the sport, more specifically Jay Jay Okocha, who, despite his tremendous efforts, never received the award.

Osimhen’s triumph
The APOTY gong rewarded an incredible year for the striker, which not many, if any, players from the country had ever attained.

As cannot be overemphasised, he led Napoli to their first scudetto triumph since Maradona called Naples home, doing it similarly to D10S by scoring the most goals in the league.

Osimhen picked up the Capoocanoniere alongside the league title in a season where he became the highest-scoring African in the entirety of Serie A’s history, and this, in tandem with being named the best player in the continent by CAF, has earned him high praise from a renowned Nigerian journalist.

Respected sports journalist Steve Dede, elated by Osimhen’s achievements, stated boldly that the striker had moved past the revered Okocha on the rankings of the greatest-ever players to have donned several shades of green for the Super Eagles.

“Victor Osimhen just moved past Okocha in the ranking of the greatest-ever Nigerian players,” Steve said on X.

Pressed further by Pulse Sports’ Senior Editor Solace Chukwu, who, on his list of the top ten greatest Nigerian footballers of all time, named Jay Jay at 10th, Steve Dede submitted that he was substituting Okocha on said ranking, with Osimhen making an entry at 10th.

Jay-Jay Okocha made his World Cup debut in 1994 (Credit: IMAGO/Buzzi)
Jay-Jay Okocha made his World Cup debut in 1994 (Credit: IMAGO/Buzzi
Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by Catapault: 10:43am On Dec 15, 2023
When Osimhen scores a goal of this quality, we can talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUPiMFHbbFU?si=gty4x71g_7DNXUWm

2 Likes

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by DarkCaesar(m): 10:50am On Dec 15, 2023
Curse777:
cool

Ronaldo, Osimhen... This guys are about goals, trophy and winning not entertainment

He was the only one with no trophy to show for it
Even Kanu entertained and still got trophies and award to show for it. Osimhen is greater than him already, there is no bad blood about that.
Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by robosky02(m): 10:51am On Dec 15, 2023
omoowhe:
They'll remember jay jay for years to come, give osimhen few years and no one will talk about him, just like Mikel that won all the trophies in football! You can't compare a legend with a goalscorer

Good one

Legend's are something remembered far more than Kings

Hmmmm

1 Like

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by MFORC(m): 10:52am On Dec 15, 2023
We all love Victor Oshimen but why the unhealthy comparison. Austin jay jay Okocha won African nations cup, Olympics gold medal for Nigeria. Oshimen never even play for nations cup talk more of world cup before.

2 Likes

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by Catapault: 10:52am On Dec 15, 2023
DarkCaesar:

Even Kanu entertained and still got trophies and award to show for it. Osimhen is greater than him already, there is no bad blood about that.

How old are you?

Okocha won the African Cup of Nations and Olympic gold!

He was the midfield general of a Super Eagles team that was ranked 5th in FIFA world rankings in 1995, the highest ranking of an African team till date.

3 Likes

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by jattopeter(m): 10:52am On Dec 15, 2023
Forget the display sir , its the award . Thats why each game is measured by the goals scores not the dribbling or display. To me Okocha is still way bigger than Him. He won African Cup of nations . Was still surprised why he never won AFCON player of the year during his active days
robosky02:
Na waoo

By the way

Is it the awards or
The exceptional display

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by Catapault: 10:56am On Dec 15, 2023
jattopeter:
Forget the display sir , its the award . Thats why each game is measured by the goals scores not the dribbling or display.

You are talking rubbish.

With your mumu reasoning, Mikel must be better than Okocha since Chelsea won awards

Plus comparing striker with midfielder for “goals scored” is the height of dumb.
Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by correctguy101(m): 10:58am On Dec 15, 2023
robosky02:
Na waoo

By the way

Is it the awards or
The exceptional display

He might have the awards but I'm sure the name Jay-Jay Okocha, in the the hearts of most older Nigerians will always be insurmountable.

3 Likes

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by robosky02(m): 11:01am On Dec 15, 2023
DarkCaesar:

Ok are you aware kanu has 2 African footballer of the year award to his name at CAF and AFCON. But no goals to show

But Okocha impact on African football is legendary and can't be forgotten

As we speak Okocha is in South America now for world legend's match in Columbia were the likes of

Nigeria’s midfield maestro, Jay Jay, is set to be a part of the world team that will take on a team of Colombian heroes.

the former Paris Saint-Germain midfielder are his former teammate, Ronaldinho and another Brazilian great, Rivaldo.

Former Inter Milan star, Wesley Sneijder, La Brujita Veron amongst others will also join Jay Jay and Ronaldinho in the world’s team.

The Colombian heroes will be led by Rene Higuita, Camilo Zuniga, Aldo Leao, Choronta Restrepo and others.

https://www.pulsesports.ng/football/story/match-of-legends-super-eagles-icon-jay-jay-okocha-to-ronaldinho-other-greats-in-colombia-2023121314161153806#:~:text=Nigeria%20Super%20Eagles%20icon%20Austin,the%20'Match%20of%20Legends'.

2 Likes

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by TheFinesseKid: 11:01am On Dec 15, 2023
Who be this slowpoke abeg?? Even if e win 20 he won't come close.

2 Likes

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by WorldRichest: 11:02am On Dec 15, 2023
No player in the world is bigger than Okocha.

2 Likes

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by robosky02(m): 11:03am On Dec 15, 2023
Catapault:

How old are you?

Okocha won the African Cup of Nations and Olympic gold!

He was the midfield general of a Super Eagles team that was ranked 5th in FIFA world rankings in 1995, the highest ranking of an African team till date.

Osimhen has not taken nigeria to that level yet

1 Like

Re: Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali by robosky02(m): 11:15am On Dec 15, 2023
obinna58:
robosky02

Shey you don see am now when I said there’s no honor in oshimen’s award, it was given as best loser and you Dey lecture me

Isn’t he suppose to be bigger than okocha since okocha didn’t win it

It’s now controversy

Same people wey praise am still no gree he is bigger than okocha

There are 2 things here
Osimhen is amazing for what he did last season... And should be applauded

But what Okocha has done is legendary

He has inspired most Nigerians
In Africans were AFOTY award winners gather he still stands tall
At the world stage he still stands out

He has attained a legendary status.

Ok let me ask you
Do you know Fedi Kanoute of Mali?
Well he is AFOTY award but in Africa the respect Okocha have,
He those not have half if it

In summary
Okocha have attained a legendary status more bigger than just an award

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria Escapes FIFA Ban As Court Dismisses Case / Still NO Win In Pre-season, Real Madrid Can't Find Right Direction Under Zidane / Esther Oyema Breaks World Record In Women's Lightweight At #GC2018 - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.