Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% (12073 Views)

Food Inflation Under President Tinubu / Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera / Honeywell Spaghetti Releases “Mini” Version As Food Prices Increase (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by iwaeda: 12:24pm On Dec 16, 2023
Nigerians are finding it more difficult to feed themselves, as food inflation rose to 32.84 per cent in November.

According to the National Bureau of Statistics’ Consumer Price Index: November 2023’ report released on Friday, headline inflation surged to 28.20 per cent in November from 27.33 per cent in October.

The cost of food rose highest in Kogi, Kwara, and Rivers where food inflation in each state surged to 41.29 per cent, 40.72 per cent, and 40.22 per cent respectively.

The food inflation rate in November was 8.72 percentage points higher than what was recorded in November 2022 (24.13 per cent).

The report showed that the rise in food prices was caused by increases in the prices of bread and cereals, oil and fat, potatoes, yam and other tubers, fish, fruit, meat, vegetables and coffee, tea and cocoa.

The NBS said, “On a month-on-month basis, the food inflation rate in November 2023 was 2.42 per cent this was 0.51 per cent higher compared to the rate recorded in October 2023 (1.91 per cent).

“The average annual rate of Food inflation for the twelve-months ending November 2023 over the previous twelve-month average was 27.09 per cent, which was a 6.68 percentage points increase from the average annual rate of change recorded in November 2022 (20.41 per cent).”

It further noted that food was cheapest in Bauchi (26.14 per cent), Borno (27.34 per cent), and Jigawa (27.63 per cent).

In November, Nigeria’s inflation rate continued its climb to another record 18-year high. According to the country’s statistics body, headline inflation surged by 0.87 percentage points in November to a new record high in almost two decades.

It stated, “In November 2023, the headline inflation rate increased to 28.20 per cent relative to October 2023 headline inflation rate which was 27.33 per cent. Looking at the movement, the November 2023 headline inflation rate showed an increase of 0.87 per cent points when compared to the October 2023 headline inflation rate.

“On a year-on-year basis, the headline inflation rate was 6.73 per cent points higher compared to the rate recorded in November 2022, which was 21.47 per cent. This shows that the headline inflation rate (year-on-year basis) increased in November 2023 when compared to the same month in the preceding year (i.e., November 2022).”

Largely driven by the surge in the price of food, month-month headline inflation last month was 2.09 per cent, which was 0.35 percentage points higher than what was recorded in October (1.73 per cent), defeating a recent claim by the Central Bank of Nigeria that inflation is slowing down m-o-m.

Recently, the former apex bank’s Director of the Corporate Communications Department, Isa AbdulMumin, asserted, “Available statistics showed that the first indication of deceleration in prices was recorded in September.

“Further reforms in the money market, which commenced in October, had accelerated easing in prices, as indicated by the substantial drop in month-on-month changes recorded in October.

“Moderation in month-on-month changes in prices observed in the headline, food, and core components of the consumer basket followed reforms in the money market and relative stability in the FX market.”

Inflation was worse in Kogi (33.28 per cent), Lagos (32.30 per cent), Rivers (32.25 per cent), which had higher rates than the national average and lowest in Borno (22.47 per cent), Katsina (24.91 per cent), and Plateau (25.53 per cent).

The removal of fuel subsidy and the foreign exchange rate unification policy have been blamed for the recent surge in the country’s inflation.

In the December update of its Nigeria Development Update report, the World Bank noted that since May, petrol prices had increased by an average of 163 per cent and the naira had depreciated against the US dollar by 41 per cent in the official market and by 30 per cent in the parallel market.

Those, it said, had combined to push inflation upwards with higher prices of gasoline and other imported goods, fueling the surge.

It noted, “The impact of this inflation is especially hard on the poor and vulnerable. The government has initiated targeted cash transfers to mitigate some of the impact on the most vulnerable households.

“In addition, a holistic approach to reducing inflation, including through tighter fiscal and monetary policies, is also needed.”

The bank highlighted that sluggish growth and rising inflation in the country increased poverty from 40 per cent in 2018 to 46 per cent in 2023, pushing an additional 24 million people below the national poverty line.

The number of poor in the country rose from 79 million in 2018 to 104 million in 2023.

It, however, noted that in the medium term, the reforms (fuel subsidy and exchange rate unification) would reverse that trend through higher growth and lower inflation, but to a limited extent.

It added that poverty rates would eventually decrease from 46 per cent in 2024 to 44 per cent in 2026.

The Bretton-Woods institution, however, projected that inflation would fall in 2024 and beyond if monetary policy tightening was accelerated.

Recently, the CBN Governor, Olayemi Cardoso, noted that the apex bank intended to focus on inflation and stabilise prices.

https://punchng.com/cost-of-feeding-worsens-as-food-inflation-hits-32-84/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by Amerengues2: 12:25pm On Dec 16, 2023
Hmm

A painstaking scrutiny of this news shows we can't separate increase of food prices from the general inflation rate. This is the most basic needs of Nigerians and unfortunately, we are suffering and can't comfortably afford it.

Things are getting out of hands! We are reaching a towering inflation rate laced with unprecedented suffering. We can't afford the most basic things.

I pray the lord answer us with perspicacious leaders who can resurrect the nosedived economy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEUbwF1VH2g?si=3fZvNgdiIPM6biKD

How much of God's word do you know? Try this and tell. The word of God is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. Your word have I hidden in my heart that I may sin no more.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by iwaeda: 12:32pm On Dec 16, 2023
Amerengues2:
Hmm

A painstaking scrutiny of this news shows we can't separate increase of food prices from the general inflation rate. This is the most basic needs of Nigerians and unfortunately, we are suffering and can't comfortably afford it.

Things are getting out of hands! We are reaching a towering inflation rate laced with unprecedented suffering. We can't afford the most basic things.

I pray the lord answer us with perspicacious leaders who can resurrect the nosedived economy.

Like I told my wife, many Nigerians don't want much from government, provide basic amenities like road, light, conducive environment, you kwill see the people at their best. We abandoned hectares of farm land because of insecurity. Why wll food not be expensive. grin grin grin grin grin grin

76 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by iwaeda: 2:07pm On Dec 16, 2023
It will favour me and my family, a child can not se idi bebere, ka fi ileke, si idi omo elimiran . grin grin grin grin

47 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by BrodaBenad: 2:15pm On Dec 16, 2023
if you're reading this and you voted APC na Ogun and Amadioha go strike you angry

141 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by Kukutente23: 2:46pm On Dec 16, 2023
One idiot was using school fees to measure inflation yesterday

Most of the APC rats are very dumb no cap. Like they are the dumbest of society which is why they find it fitting and comfortable to be tribal jingoists and ethnic warriors

96 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by PUSSYHOE(m): 3:27pm On Dec 16, 2023
TINUBU will kill us all.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by SpatialKing(m): 4:01pm On Dec 16, 2023
Tinubu is doing well
Tinubu is working

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by Jessyjeff: 4:10pm On Dec 16, 2023
It's the economy, stupid!!

Before the last general election in Nigeria, many people were saying that they would vote individuals and not party. Now, this is the result of such decisions.

In other good democratic countries, people vote according to party manifesto or policies. As myopic and confused in corruption as APC rulers are, who amongst them is going to push for people's oriented policies or at least come up with something that can turn the economy around to the benefit of Nigerians?

Nigerians need economic policies with human face!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by iwaeda: 4:14pm On Dec 16, 2023
Kukutente23:
One idiot was using school fees to measure inflation yesterday

Most of the APC rats are very dumb no cap. Like they are the dumbest of society which is why they find it fitting and comfortable to be tribal jingoists and ethnic warriors
They know, but sillyly defending their party. Who is not affected by bad policies of APC, a bag of 50kg rice is now N62k, many people can't sell their wares, because purchase power is gone. Nlfpmod, you know will told them Emilokan is only after his ego, nothing to offer. grin grin grin grin grin

37 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by Jewessgratitud3: 4:31pm On Dec 16, 2023
As it is now, begging don dey legal. I just saw one woman boldy walking up and down our close in front of my gate. Immediately she saw one guy passing, she approached the guy and the guy immediately gave her money. This one no dey for say look down on her. The woman na normal person mama not a beggar but that's to tell you how bad it has gotten.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by NaijaCover(m): 4:31pm On Dec 16, 2023
Make I Rush To The Market And Buy Bag Of Rice, NaíjaCover Don't want Terrible Bad News

7 Likes

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by ATEAMS: 4:32pm On Dec 16, 2023
Ooomoh ...

The government truly needs to act fast but they won't bcuz they want to enjoy the subsidies money and settle the inner circles first .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by HateBigots: 4:32pm On Dec 16, 2023
cheesy cheesy cheesy... On your manhood we stand Jagaban.
Una must get sense by force; suffer no dey tire Agbado people.

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by NwaNimo1(m): 4:33pm On Dec 16, 2023
A.gbado

P,rice

C.rashes

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by Solitechworld(m): 4:33pm On Dec 16, 2023
Are you okay? Which 32%? Abi 3000%

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by Hamachi(f): 4:33pm On Dec 16, 2023
cry
Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by RawSex(m): 4:34pm On Dec 16, 2023
How are these percentage being calculated?

Most Food stuff are up by 250% or more

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by WhisperedNoise: 4:34pm On Dec 16, 2023
I thought they called Tinubu a "master strategist"?

Where is his strategy? To push the country into further hardship? Clowns.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by MightySparrow: 4:34pm On Dec 16, 2023
Tinubu is thumbing this nation erratically.

Upon all, world Bank is suggesting ₦750/litre of PMS.

Nigerians arise!

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by Lovenorth: 4:34pm On Dec 16, 2023
Ebola will dash them food, and if they are killed by the soldiers it is a will of God

6 Likes

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by gentlesmithugo(m): 4:34pm On Dec 16, 2023
Na now game changed.e don red.

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by obinna58(m): 4:34pm On Dec 16, 2023
Very good, obesity shouldn’t be encouraged, tinubu knows the importance of living healthy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by LalastiklaIa(m): 4:34pm On Dec 16, 2023
Even if it hits 200%. The children of God will survive

12 Likes

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by Akano5(m): 4:35pm On Dec 16, 2023
Hunger wan finish me..

Why can't those people tell them to lift the ban on Rice... why are we killing ourselves like this, one cup of rice is now #900.

reduce the custom duty at the port, Damn, these people don't want us to eat at all,

Libyans aren't suffering from Hunger

10 Likes

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by Nazgul: 4:35pm On Dec 16, 2023
It still surprises me why Nigerians haven't hit the streets to protest against this criminal administration.

Things weren't this bad in 2012 when Tinubu and his cronies hit the streets. Today, many families can't even feed. Yet we're going about our daily activities as if nothing is happening.

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by TinubuThief: 4:36pm On Dec 16, 2023
shocked
If you are supporting this criminal and evil APC, e no go better for you

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by DKM123: 4:36pm On Dec 16, 2023
Leave that matter!

Let's insult, fight and h@te ourselves over tribes that we were born into. That's far far more important..We can't just allow thier SPONSORED tribal propaganda be in vain.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by iwaeda: 4:36pm On Dec 16, 2023
post=127515325:
Make I Rush To The Market And Buy Bag Of Rice, NaíjaCover Don't want Terrible Bad News

grin grin angry grin angry grin
Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by Blaze14k: 4:36pm On Dec 16, 2023
We just need baby steps of pain. Just endore the pain for at least lets say 3yrs before u can enjoy all the dividends of our darling jagaban. I and my family will vote u again 2027😂😂

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by allcomage: 4:36pm On Dec 16, 2023
Very good! It should reach 100%

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Feeding Worsens As Food Inflation Hits 32.84% by AK481(m): 4:36pm On Dec 16, 2023
This policy of subsidy removal and FX that have caused untold hardship to Nigerians, who exactly did tinubu thinks will benefit from it?

Was it done to depopulate Nigerian population ?
Na the north I pity for

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

World Milk Day: Peak Milk Will Excite Consumers With #BreakfastPolice Rally / Whats Your Favourite Drink And Why? / Why Is Coke Zero Bad For You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.