Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,155 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera (43950 Views)

Economic Hardship: Parents Shun Noodles As Prices Soar / Nigerian States With Fastest-Rising Food Prices In 2024 (Full List) / Honeywell Spaghetti Releases “Mini” Version As Food Prices Increase (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by lalasticlala(m): 7:35am On Jul 05, 2021
World Bank estimates Nigeria’s soaring inflation and food prices pushed seven million more people into poverty in 2021.

With inflation rising around the world as the global economy recovers from the coronavirus pandemic, soaring prices are having dramatic consequences in countries like Nigeria.

The number of people living in poverty in Nigeria – Africa’s most populous nation with 210 million inhabitants – was already among the highest in the world.

But as Nigeria has been battered by the double economic effect of low global oil prices and the pandemic, the World Bank estimates the country’s soaring inflation and food prices pushed another seven million people into poverty in 2021.

Food prices have increased more than 22 percent since the start of the coronavirus crisis, according to official statistics.

For many people, feeding their family has become a daily challenge.

“Every day, during consultations, there are five or seven children that suffer from malnutrition,” says Emiolo Ogunsola, head of the nutrition department at Massey Street children’s hospital in a poor district in Lagos Island.

“I bet in a few months or a year, more children will be malnourished.”

Even before the pandemic and the surge in food costs, Nigeria’s nutrition figures were alarming: One in three Nigerian children suffered stunted growth due to a bad diet.

As a result, close to 17 million children in Nigeria are undernourished, giving the country the highest level of malnutrition in Africa and the second-highest in the world.

https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2021/7/4/in-lagos-families-struggle-to-survive-as-food-prices-soar

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by Nobody: 7:35am On Jul 05, 2021
Terrible...

Even price of fruits sef is so bad... Carrot I use to feast on like Roger rabbit. now those carrots be like werin God curse for a ridiculous amount...

Na to improvise dey chow grass be the next thing maybe just maybe person go give me 40k

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by igbarasdynasty: 7:36am On Jul 05, 2021
What do we expect when we have Cows leading Humans?

240 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 05, 2021
But but the Aso Rock mannequin said many people are leaving their jobs to go to their farms.

Same farms that have been destroyed by terrorist herdsmen

197 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by boselarry: 7:36am On Jul 05, 2021
Everything is costly

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by Lattop(m): 7:36am On Jul 05, 2021
Other countries recovering from the Pandemic moving forward promoting her citizens but our Country Naija is still here fighting pandemic, kwaruption, Boko Haram, Bandits and Secessionists Agitators all at the same time

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by redcliff: 7:36am On Jul 05, 2021
watch APC come to tell you this is fake news.

132 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by ogododo: 7:37am On Jul 05, 2021
lalasticlala:

https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2021/7/4/in-lagos-families-struggle-to-survive-as-food-prices-soar

Poverty dey increase beyond measure, food no be for poor again. I dey here people talk dis morning say Buhari time don destroy people as oil for 50cl ragoli na #800.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by specialmati(m): 7:37am On Jul 05, 2021
cool cool cool cool how i wish na only the zombies the cost of things are affecting as maybe we can use hunger reset their thinking but its fine nothing they happen if it cost ,more money for our pocket to buy them.

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by snowland(m): 7:37am On Jul 05, 2021
I don't know what to say
Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by BOSSkesh(m): 7:37am On Jul 05, 2021
Ok ohh
Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by Skillsnigeria: 7:37am On Jul 05, 2021
Hmmm, it is well
Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 7:37am On Jul 05, 2021
All Thanks To Papa Buhari

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by ediyeJuice(m): 7:37am On Jul 05, 2021
sad
Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by slawormiir: 7:37am On Jul 05, 2021
Damnnn niggar. ..
The whole thing is tiring o
I don't know how long we can cope......Benin city is even worse....you wake up in the morning....same thing you buy yesterday....you nor go fit buy today again because the price Don go up

Even common to buy fish na wahalar

a baby sister of mine bought fish the other day for 900 naira.....
I almost got angry....and I asked her....how much come be lexus, glk , venza car.....na just small money you go add join this fish money....you go buy lexus or venza car

108 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by Biafrannuke: 7:37am On Jul 05, 2021
Twitter and MNK are the problem.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by donestk(m): 7:38am On Jul 05, 2021
Buy food from anywhere across Nigeria through verified vendors and competitive prices.

Simply hit: https://errands.ng

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by Muhylonaire007: 7:38am On Jul 05, 2021
Hmmmm.
Some weeks ago when something like this was pushed to the front page, some sons of perdition said it's a lie and I wonder if they buy things cheap because they are supporting APC or the lifeless chicken in Aso rock.
I won't say more than "EVERYBODY GO COLLECT" by the time this swinging pendulum finally stop swinging and kasala burst proper, everybody go voice out.

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by superlanny(m): 7:38am On Jul 05, 2021
I totally agree on this, families are struggling and suffering, while Buhari and his minions are grappling with how to establish a home for cows, banning twitter, and making Kanu the most pressing issue that ever beguiled Nigeria.

Nothing is working in Nigeria, and yet some very wise fools will come here defending rubbish.

Anybody that will bring Ipob, Afonja sentiments to talk nonsense, Na Ogun go kiss una. Politicians, Leaders, even us self, we f*ucked up big time.

The poverty plenty, but I hope we will get sense last last, because it dosent look like we ever will. The poverty tool has worked over the years, it will be time for the 1k and rice or indomie sell your vote madness to occur and there and then our nation will be sold for pennies, I hope we have learnt, I pray so.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by ChilamNk(m): 7:38am On Jul 05, 2021
Hunger is a weapon of mass destruction.

When we say Buhari has killed many Nigerians, we're not just talking about the use of Army, Police, DSS but also with bad economic policies.

Buhari is a coolossal failure and a monumental disaster!

Buhari is everything and more..that a leader should not be!

96 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by kilonshele101(m): 7:38am On Jul 05, 2021
Thanks to Nnamdi kanu

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by mhktaryan: 7:38am On Jul 05, 2021
Yes
Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by nubiangod9(m): 7:38am On Jul 05, 2021
undecided This country is really hard.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by Gambit23: 7:38am On Jul 05, 2021
APC paid dolt, AKA zombies will avoid this thread like wildfire

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by 007lss: 7:38am On Jul 05, 2021

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by ediyeJuice(m): 7:38am On Jul 05, 2021
Country has gone to the dogs.
Thanks to the catastrophe in power.
*Spits

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by Brown2012: 7:38am On Jul 05, 2021

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by jasmine1600: 7:38am On Jul 05, 2021
DSS will start looking for the reporters and interviewers to shut them up.
This is the most useless and insensitive government Nigeria has ever had.
Why won’t their be hunger when
Fulani heardsmen and Bandits are killing farmers and destroying their farm yet they are being rewarded with monthly salaries for killing and the lifeless man is saying Nigerians are going in to farming. Arrant stupidity.

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by easzypeaszy(m): 7:38am On Jul 05, 2021
Dear God,
I no really understand how you dey work oo
I know u are a God of wonder please deliver us from Buhari and d likes of Lai Muhammad and Tinubu and Adesina and Elrufai and all d citizens supporting dis Gov..destroy Dem all..bc Useless Buhari and his God forsaken asslickers are still bragging and claiming dey hav pulled 10M ppl out of poverty n yet ppl frm Katsina are eating grass..

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Families Struggle To Survive As Food Prices Soar - Al Jazeera by mj245: 7:38am On Jul 05, 2021
make God punish Lord Lugard angry

13 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How I Made Chicken Stew Out Of The Blues. / How Do You Get Rid Of Onion Smells From Your Breath? / Giant Snake Killed Just This Afternoon In My Village. Food don Set

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.