Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,862 members, 7,813,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

Why Do Nigeria Pastors Cherry Pick Parts Of The Bible To Use In The Church? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Nigeria Pastors Cherry Pick Parts Of The Bible To Use In The Church? (489 Views)

Anytime I Pick Up My Bible To Read , I Always Feel Sleepy / Do You Still Take Your Bible To Church? / Pastor Ruth Masuruwa Gives Bible To Emmerson Mnangagwa In Zimbabwe (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigeria Pastors Cherry Pick Parts Of The Bible To Use In The Church? by Janosky: 1:35pm On Jan 07
dalitigator:
Why do pastors cherry-pick parts of the bible to use in their church sermons, especially from the Old Testament?

This was one question that arose between me and a Sunday school teacher who was desperately trying to get me born again for the umpteenth time.

While I was wondering if I actually wanted to do this born-again thing and not just stick to my born-against life wen I dey jejely enjoin, I could not help but ask him why pastor cherry pick parts of the bible to apply in their Sunday teachings, especially from the old testament.

He was quick to answer that the new covenant was now applicable as it eroded parts of the Old Testament that were strictly applicable to the Jews and not the Gentiles. But then, he could not address why some pastors will use parts of the Bible book of Deuteronomy, Genesis and Leviticus, especially Malachi (the tithe part), to address church members while cleverly leaving out those parts that will cause serious confusion in the church.

Na there e for give up and promising to come back today to continue with his desperate effort to convert me into the Jehovah's Witness fold. I do like his effort, zeal and tenacity, and I will be cooking rice and chicken stew to entertain him today. After all, one must be ready to welcome the preacherman with his whole heart, especially those who allow you to ask questions and not think you are rude for asking some difficult question.

But why do Pastors cherry-pick parts of the Bible to apply?

Please educate my ignorance.

Thanks.

Did any Jehovah's witness preach that you must "born again " to worship the only true God?

JW's don't cherry pick holy scriptures.
Re: Why Do Nigeria Pastors Cherry Pick Parts Of The Bible To Use In The Church? by Janosky: 1:36pm On Jan 07
dalitigator:
Why do pastors cherry-pick parts of the bible to use in their church sermons, especially from the Old Testament?

This was one question that arose between me and a Sunday school teacher who was desperately trying to get me born again for the umpteenth time.

While I was wondering if I actually wanted to do this born-again thing and not just stick to my born-against life wen I dey jejely enjoin, I could not help but ask him why pastor cherry pick parts of the bible to apply in their Sunday teachings, especially from the old testament.

He was quick to answer that the new covenant was now applicable as it eroded parts of the Old Testament that were strictly applicable to the Jews and not the Gentiles. But then, he could not address why some pastors will use parts of the Bible book of Deuteronomy, Genesis and Leviticus, especially Malachi (the tithe part), to address church members while cleverly leaving out those parts that will cause serious confusion in the church.

Na there e for give up and promising to come back today to continue with his desperate effort to convert me into the Jehovah's Witness fold. I do like his effort, zeal and tenacity, and I will be cooking rice and chicken stew to entertain him today. After all, one must be ready to welcome the preacherman with his whole heart, especially those who allow you to ask questions and not think you are rude for asking some difficult question.

But why do Pastors cherry-pick parts of the Bible to apply?

Please educate my ignorance.

Thanks.

Did any Jehovah's witness preach that you must "born again " to worship the only true God?

Not possible.

JW's don't cherry pick holy scriptures.
Re: Why Do Nigeria Pastors Cherry Pick Parts Of The Bible To Use In The Church? by Maynman: 2:06pm On Jan 07
Plus1234:
You are stupid,a menace to humanity.You have no proof of all you said,just open your waaaaa. Someone that cannot be up to 50 years now claiming to know more than the revered disciplines.Check your brain well,a spanner is missing and very soon you go off cloth enter market square and begin to dance naked.
Where is the proof the books you are basing your life on?
Where is the proof Jesus was born and then born from a virgin?
You lowlife dejected Yahweh worshipper, using your ass to think.

Someone that's over 50 years old that's suppose to have sense is basing his life on books that that was not written for him, you be isrealites?
Mad man.
Re: Why Do Nigeria Pastors Cherry Pick Parts Of The Bible To Use In The Church? by Kobojunkie: 4:30pm On Jan 07
Janosky:
Did any Jehovah's witness preach that you must "born again " to worship the only true God? JW's don't cherry pick holy scriptures.
Jesus Christ said, "Except a man be born-again, He cannot enter into the Kingdom of God", implying it is impossible to worship Him and His Father if one is not first born-again.

JWs do not preach what Jesus Christ said above, yet JWs do not cherry-pick? grin

OP, you see this?

Re: Why Do Nigeria Pastors Cherry Pick Parts Of The Bible To Use In The Church? by dalitigator(m): 9:22am On Jan 15
Maynman:

Everything you know about Jesus is from Christianity, so if the people that created the religion are frauds, it says alot about the Jesus who Christianity is centered on.

All the books you know of Jesus and how he was potrayed was complied by this fraudsters, there are other books that didn't make it to the Canon, and they potrayed your Jesus Christ in another way, an example is Gospel of Judas, which was used extensively in early Christianity, those people you call fraudsters excludes the book, another one is apocalypse of peter which showed that your Jesus Christ is dead and gone, those same fraudsters also removed it.
What about the virgin birth 😂, how come you believe all these stories from conmen?

You are a fraud like them too.

In what ways did they portray Jesus Christ?

Thanks for this response. I was able to stumble on about 30 lost/excluded books of the Bible, and I am presently studying the Psalms of Solomon.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Im Not An Atheist Today : 'cause Of Muslims / Just A Little Prayer And Godly Advice / Soliloquy-how Many Decembers Have You Spent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.