Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,311 members, 7,811,923 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago (12322 Views)

Diezani Allison-Madueke Is A Commissioner In Dominican Republic / Tinubu Asked Abacha To Make Him A Commissioner In Lagos - Kola Abiola / Africanus Noel, N 14-Year-Old Becomes Commissioner In Bayelsa. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by oldguyman: 2:15pm On Dec 17, 2023
A Nigerian woman, Dr. Olusimbo Ige has been appointed as Commissioner of the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH), thus becoming first black female to occupy the position.
Mayor Brandon Johnson officially announced the appointment.

Dr. Ige received her Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery and her Master of Science in Epidemiology and Biostatistics from the University of Ibadan. She also received her Master’s in Public Health from the University of Manchester in the United Kingdom.

Mayor Johnson said: “Dr. Ige is a tremendous addition to not just our administration, but to the City of Chicago. She is someone who understands the balance between hard data and community interaction when assessing public health problems and solutions”

Dr. Ige is a Managing Director of Programs at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and had served as the Assistant Commissioner for the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

Reacting, Dr. Ige said: “It is a distinct honor to serve the city of Chicago in this role. Through collaboration with the Johnson Administration and with community members in Chicago, I am confident that we can improve the health outcomes for all Chicagoans.

I have spent my entire career in the public health field, and I look forward to bringing all that I have learned to CDPH.”

Congratulating Dr. Ige on Sunday, a statement signed by Chairman/CEO, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Abike Dabiri-Erewa described her milestone as “extraordinary”.

Dabiri-Erewa said Ige’s appointment has once again confirmed that Nigerians in the Diaspora are excelling and impacting positively wherever they find themselves.

The NIDCOM boss urged Ige to live up to expectations while motivating other young Nigerian professionals to also be good ambassadors of Nigeria in their chosen career.

From 2020-2023, Dr. Ige served as the Assistant Commissioner for the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

In her role as Assistant Commissioner, Dr. Ige advised New York City’s health and human services executive leadership team including the Commissioner of Health, Vice-President of Health and Hospitals, and the Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services.

During her time at the NYC Department of Health, Dr. Ige developed a community health worker program focused on outreach and engagement with Black communities and she spearheaded efforts for vaccine equity across the city.

Dr. Ige worked closely with community-based organizations, faith-based organizations, academic institutions, and other partners to advance equitable health outcomes for all New Yorkers.

Prior to her time in New York, Dr. Ige served as the Executive Director of Global Health for the General Board of Global Ministries, where she successfully led health initiatives across the United States and 30 other countries.
https://thenationonlineng.net/olusimbo-ige-nigerian-woman-becomes-first-black-female-commissioner-in-chicago/

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by Apology19978: 2:18pm On Dec 17, 2023
She for dey sell agidi if she stayed back in the sad wasted region

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by WhisperedNoise: 2:20pm On Dec 17, 2023
Great feat.

I think we can pick a lesson from this. Nigerians travel abroad and get into positions of power even with all the racism, but here in Nigeria, those same people might find it difficult to get appointed because of tribalism, ethnicity and religious bias. This is a wake up call to us. We need to do better as a country.

Just look at how old people are disgracing themselves below 👇... Everything is a tribal war to them. Very sad.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by Helpfromabove1(m): 2:22pm On Dec 17, 2023
This will as usual turn to tribal war

Omoluabi vs Igbo Amaka

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by misko: 2:22pm On Dec 17, 2023
Wonderful. Another Nigerian woman shining in the diaspora

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by securitywatch50: 2:27pm On Dec 17, 2023
The original celeb but thank God she is over there.
If not she will have ten children from ten men grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by SSFeedsNigeria: 2:30pm On Dec 17, 2023
Apology19978:

She would have been selling agbo just like millions of other yorobbers. The number of Yoruba girls and women invading East to sell agbo has become alarming.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by Holluwhakemmy(f): 2:44pm On Dec 17, 2023
Apology19978:
same with your people who are selling fake accessories at Alaba market

70 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by Holluwhakemmy(f): 2:44pm On Dec 17, 2023
Congratulations Omoluabi

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by Holluwhakemmy(f): 2:46pm On Dec 17, 2023
securitywatch50:
The original celeb but thank God she is over there.
If not she will have ten children from ten men grin
The same way your mother had 10 children for ten men

47 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by aderadio1: 2:49pm On Dec 17, 2023
Yoruba Amaka.

Make l beat chest like my ibo country men

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by SSFeedsNigeria: 2:50pm On Dec 17, 2023
Apology19978:

Sophistication

Sophisticated

Just imagine, yet you will see them insulting Fulanis and calling them cow fuckers as if they're any better.

Hypocritical and dirty tribe🥱
Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by Ballmer: 2:57pm On Dec 17, 2023

1 Like

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by LegendHero(m): 3:16pm On Dec 17, 2023
Congratulations to her. That is a great feat!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by MisterBanny(m): 7:19am On Dec 18, 2023
Congratulations. That's a great feat. If it were in Nigeria, her potentials and Dreams would have been truncated long ago. Nigeria is a dreamkiller

A Nairalander who can assist me with 5k to buy food for my family will be very appropriate. God bless the Giver

1 Like

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by MajorOvakporaye(f): 7:20am On Dec 18, 2023
She escaped selling agbo and Jedi on the streets of Onitsha. Na dia work.

2 Likes

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by obembet(f): 7:21am On Dec 18, 2023
Congratulations to her

4 Likes

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by mmafhew(m): 7:21am On Dec 18, 2023
wink
Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by SALLYBERRY01(m): 7:21am On Dec 18, 2023
love this
Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by Egalitarian1: 7:21am On Dec 18, 2023
Congratulations to her

2 Likes

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by Vinnie2000(m): 7:21am On Dec 18, 2023
Congrats to her. smiley

Her People still remain Intellectually endowed. smiley smiley

It's the Razaks, Kazeems, Sodiqs and Lateefs amongst them that creates Problems Everytime. undecided undecided

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by Max24: 7:21am On Dec 18, 2023
Apology19978:
But some of her mates are ministers in Nigeria, abi you know no say we get female ministers. Tinubu for still dey wash corpses for America for say he stayed there in Chicago.
Abroad is not Eldorado for some people's destiny but destiny killer. So, stop all these inferiority complex and brainwash by whites!

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by Metronomy(m): 7:22am On Dec 18, 2023
Congratulations

2 Likes

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by Ms202309: 7:22am On Dec 18, 2023
Omoluabi

Omo Odua

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by nstore: 7:22am On Dec 18, 2023

9 Likes

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by slowice(m): 7:23am On Dec 18, 2023
Holluwhakemmy:
same with your people who are selling fake accessories at Alaba market

As if you can afford original accessories 😏 they are helping you manage your well

2 Likes

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by Lovemeharder(f): 7:23am On Dec 18, 2023
Wow! I'm happy for her. Congratulations ma'am.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by Hezmatosky: 7:24am On Dec 18, 2023
I will have to call somebody living there to confirm this news first before I gree. Anything yoruba vs Chicago, i no dey believe again kiss

5 Likes

Re: Olusimbo Ige Becomes First Black Female Commissioner In Chicago by Lovemeharder(f): 7:24am On Dec 18, 2023
Hezmatosky:
I will have to call somebody living there to confirm this news first before I gree. Anything yoruba vs Chicago, i no dey believe again kiss

grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom: Gunmen Kidnap Justice Joy Unwana, Driver, Kill Orderly / Okonjo-Iweala To Senators: Focus On Project Implementation Not Cash / Clark Challenges IBB To Public Senility Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.