Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,590 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

Why Do So Many Keep Up With The Vacuous Kardashians? Read More: Http://www.smh. - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Why Do So Many Keep Up With The Vacuous Kardashians? Read More: Http://www.smh. (1538 Views)

This Girl Danced With A Guy, See What He Did To Her Clothes – SMH PHOTOS / SMH: Nollywood Actress Ini Edo Forgets To Wear Bra Mistaking Display Her Nipple / So She Actually Went To The Grammy Awards Naked?... Just SMH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Do So Many Keep Up With The Vacuous Kardashians? Read More: Http://www.smh. by usbcable(m): 8:28am On Nov 02, 2011
Kim Kardashian and her clan (or should that be klan?) only came on my radar during the most recent school holidays when I discovered my teenagers glued to the television.

Frustrated by their inertia, I inquired as to what was keeping them indoors. Keeping Up With The Kardashians, I was told (as if I was a complete slowpoke). Up until that moment in my life, I thought Kardashians were fictional aliens on Star Trek. Now I know they are in fact a family of non-fictional nobodies from Los Angeles called Kim, Khloe, Kourtney, Kendall, Kylie and Kris who have their own reality television show.

Since my recent epiphany, I have come to realise that this family is strangely ubiquitous. In addition to the television show, I now regularly notice Kardashians on multiple magazine covers near the supermarket checkout and this week, pack-leader, Kim and one of her K-named sisters are in Australia to spruik their "fashion" label and attend, among other things, the spring racing carnival in Melbourne. One has to ask oneself, why do these women command so much of the world's media attention and why on earth are they famous?
Advertisement: Story continues below
The Kardashian sisters, Kourtney, Kim and Khloe in their reality series Keeping Up With The Kardashians. The family have made a fortune from being fabulous nobodies.

The Kardashian sisters, Kourtney, Kim and Khloe in their reality series Keeping Up With The Kardashians. The family have made a fortune from being fabulous nobodies.

It is extraordinary to witness the rise of voyeurism in our culture. Facebook and Twitter allow us to discreetly follow the sometimes inane ravings of our friends and acquaintances minute by minute, blow by blow. Reality television programs like Keeping Up With The Kardashians and their family spin off shows such as Khloe and Lamar, enable us to follow the day to day activities of complete nobodies. It seems the Kardashians are famous solely because, for some bizarre reason, they are prepared to live a significant portion of their lives in front of cameras. That alone has given them international celebrity status and, no doubt, pots of money.

Keeping Up With The Kardashians promotes the hollow notion of celebrity, over-the-top extravagant "fairytale" weddings and finding "Mr Right". It is about attending the opening of envelopes, of being given a diamond engagement ring that would feed and educate whole villages in Africa for a decade, surgical enhancements, and the importance of having a different designer handbag for every designer outfit. It is shameless, diabolical promotion of the kitsch, aspirational brand that is Kardashian. It is shallow, vicarious living, for the seriously vacuous (sorry kids) masses.

Speaking of kids, what do the Kardashians teach, by their actions and lifestyle, the millions of kids around the world who, like my own, choose to ingest this drivel? Do these dubious role models have young women believing that if they are pretty they might be invited to the Melbourne Cup one day, can expect to travel around the world first class, be "papped" constantly and might eventually hook up with a basketball star who will look after them for life, or perhaps 72 days. Do young men who watch these women think that in order to get the girl of their dreams they have to be at least six foot two and that providing her with anything smaller than 10 carats would be deemed a sign of failure?

There is no denying that in spite of the veil of shallowness, the Kardashian women are business savvy, thanks primarily to their omnipotent, mega-monster-manager-mother, Kris. The frustrating thing about the television show, the media hype and promotional palaver that follows them constantly is that not enough of the underlying rat-cunning intelligence that has led to their so-called stardom is immediately discernible. No doubt that is a very deliberate part of the media strategy.

Of course the simple answer is not to watch the show or read the articles. That's all good and well, but the reality is that millions of people follow the lives of the Kardashians. I take my hat (and fascinator) off to them for successfully and ruthlessly feeding the insatiable appetite of an audience hungry for news and information about a bunch of fabulous nobodies.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/why-do-so-many-keep-up-with-the-vacuous-kardashians-20111101-1mt2m.html
Re: Why Do So Many Keep Up With The Vacuous Kardashians? Read More: Http://www.smh. by BootyOnMe: 5:51pm On Nov 02, 2011
They are facinating and beautiful.
The intrigues and the family dynamics.
They are real and do not hesitate to tell it all!

I don't follow them. . . .but any time I get the chance to get a glimpse of them, I JUMP at it.
I love that 'Brady Bunch' of family.
Boy! They are GORGEOUS!!! kiss

(1) (Reply)

Actress, Stella Damasus Returns As The Bitch / Most Beautiful Nigerian Women In America / Why Sade Is Bigger In The US Than Adele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.