Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,855 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer (11813 Views)

Ibrahim Babangida (IBB's) Message To Igbos / Ibrahim Babangida Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today / Abiola: 'Jail Babangida' - I Go Dye Writes Buhari (2) (3) (4)

Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Morbeta11(m): 3:52pm On Dec 25, 2023
Former Military President, Gen. Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, IBB, has said that his initial plan in life was to become a civil engineer. He noted that the decision by the then government of Northern Nigeria that youths of his time should be enlisted into the Nigerian army changed the course of his destiny.

Babangida spoke in a live radio programme anchored by the Federal University of Technology, FUT, Minna campus radio, ‘Search FM’, on Saturday morning.

Babangida said on completion of primary education, he went to Bida Provincial Secondary School and, after six years, joined the Military Training College, Kaduna, almost immediately.
Responding to how joining the military shaped the rest of his life and what informed his decision to enlist as cadet officer, IBB said: “Well, maybe to understand the background, at about that period there was a deliberate government policy.

“At that time there were not a lot of people from the North who were in the military. So it took a deliberate policy to go around and invite the younger generation from secondary schools, (government colleges) to come and join the military. And that’s what started our career in the military.”

The Civil War

On the experience and lessons of the Nigerian civil war, the former President said: “It’s not a very nice experience, I must say.

“First of all, you had people you went to school with, people you trained with, people who were your friends, suddenly, as a result of the war, you find yourselves facing each other on opposite sides.

“So that’s the uniquely sad aspect of a civil war and I pray it never happens again.”

“I wanted to be a civil engineer”, Babangida replied when asked what he would have become if the deliberate policy by the northern government did not alter his plans.

On his leadership style that has attracted, and still attracting both good and bad compliments IBB said: “Just like any other style, you are placed in a leadership position your job is to lead people.

“You develop a situation where people look up to you to provide certain solutions to their problems or to their fear; whatever it is.

“And you stand out as the person who will be able to do that. So you have to study human beings, you have to read about them and you have to be very compassionate.

“It is not very comfortable but then we had to do it. The purpose was to unite the country to keep it as one not to break it.

“Sometimes ruthlessness gets things done but there are a lot of ways you have to develop so that you’ll be able to achieve certain things. Others you plead with, some you coerce and so on and so forth”.,

He added that leaders and leadership is all about taking responsibilities for perceived rights and wrongs in the administration.

“What I want to be remembered for”
Babangida said part of what he would wish to be remembered for “is that I served the country the best I could.

“It may not be to your satisfaction but to the best that I could. I leave that to history to judge and I related fairly well with the people of the country. I had no problems with them and I got to know the country more as I was well travelled. I made friends all over the country and I thought that was one of the greatest achievements”.

Recall that IBB led the country as a Military President from 1985 to 1993. He, thereafter, “stepped aside” after the debacle of the 1993 presidential election.

… youths
The former leader adviced younger generations on the need to try as much as possible to know and understand the country, Nigeria because they are going to lead the country in the future.

“You have an opportunity now as young people, get to know the country, study the country, the people and if you are able to do that or to understand that, basically I think that will go a long way to prepare you for the eventual leadership of the country”.

Speaking on whether or not the biopic, ‘Portrait of a General’ by Nollywood is an accurate representation of events of his time, IBB said, “Well, as a military man a man who practiced both in war and peace time I would have corrected one or two places.

“But I think what they (Nollywood) are trying to project is a food for thought that could give us the room for improvement.”

Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, IBB, commended the entire Search Media crew and the management of FUT, Minna led by the Vice Chancellor, Prof. Farouk Adamu Kuta for setting the pace for campus radio to thrive in Niger state.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/12/i-wanted-to-be-a-civil-engineer-ibb/

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Chicagograduate(m): 3:57pm On Dec 25, 2023
Baba wey no go University wan be civil engineer.Abi ba Pon pon he mean to say?

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Ololade1999: 4:03pm On Dec 25, 2023
It is not only history that will judge you sir, your conscience will do that too. Moreover, remember one thing sir, that one day we will all give account of everything we do on earth before our creator. It is better you make peace with your God and Nigerians before you pass on.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Roboto11: 4:06pm On Dec 25, 2023
Will you sharap?

17 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Toosure70: 4:09pm On Dec 25, 2023
You come became civil warrior

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by dododawa1: 4:26pm On Dec 25, 2023
BUHARI EMEFELIE and BABAGIDA

Will riot in pot of Hilda

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by GanagiBitrus: 4:31pm On Dec 25, 2023
Naija sabi change people destiny.
So many that wanted to become Medical Doctors ended up being Native Doctors or even Bus ConDoctors.
All na Doctor sha. smiley

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by LeoDeKing: 4:53pm On Dec 25, 2023
Chicagograduate:
Either literacy or comprehension.

One of these two or both is/are missing here

Anyone with both cannot type this dogshit after reading the article, impossible.

I know where you come from, but let me just keep quiet.

Meanwhile, how is Alaigbo?

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Beremx(f): 4:59pm On Dec 25, 2023
Baba enjoy your old age before Nigerians will drag you to your grave. You're one of the people who destroyed Nigeria so Baba respect yourself.

Civil engineer ko, military scientist ni!!

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by LeoDeKing: 5:09pm On Dec 25, 2023
Beremx:
Baba enjoy your old age before Nigerians ipob miscreants will drag you to your grave. You're one of the people who destroyed Nigeria so Baba respect yourself.

Fixed.

Meanwhile, you want to drag an old man to his grave because he answered questions thrown at him. Is that how you were brought up?

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Beremx(f): 5:11pm On Dec 25, 2023
LeoDeKing:

Fixed.

Meanwhile, you want to drag an old man to his grave because he answered questions thrown at him. Is that how you were brought up?
I never get your time. Wait till first week of January when the holidays are over.

Oni yeye

18 Likes

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by NewDea4: 5:42pm On Dec 25, 2023

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Solofresh2: 5:42pm On Dec 25, 2023
That is your problem sir

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Morbeta11(m): 5:43pm On Dec 25, 2023
Baba is talking like he wants to take a bow......
Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by johnmartus(m): 5:57pm On Dec 25, 2023
You yourself know that it will never be well with you. You have been living in pain and a serious agony and that is how it will be for you forever. Useless thing thief.

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by santity100: 2:01am On Dec 26, 2023
Nigeria’s problem started from its leadership deliberately creating poor institutions and this cascaded to its citizen.

Our Leaders are lucky and grateful that it’s citizens are very forgetful

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Houseofglam7(f): 2:07am On Dec 26, 2023
🫤
Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Sillymoderators: 2:07am On Dec 26, 2023
This bastard is still talking. The man that institutionalized corruption in Nigeria! Oloriburuku!

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by BitterTruth0001: 2:15am On Dec 26, 2023
Beremx:
I never get your time. Wait till first week of January when the holidays are over.

Oni yeye

He’s a Yoruba Muslim .
Not worth one joule of your energy

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Thundafireseun: 2:27am On Dec 26, 2023
If only God could make me the minister of Thunder

This man will have been in Heaven by now

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by FireUpNow(m): 2:37am On Dec 26, 2023
You became a president at last
Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Magicdon(m): 2:39am On Dec 26, 2023
Chicagograduate:

I de laff you Babangida is well educated, he is intelligent, very intelligent, he is a genius if you dont know

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Magicdon(m): 2:41am On Dec 26, 2023
Beremx:
Baba enjoy your old age before Nigerians will drag you to your grave. You're one of the people who destroyed Nigeria so Baba respect yourself.

Keep quiet, we have engineers, scientists, medical doctors, lawyers as soldiers or in the military

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by judedwriter(m): 3:11am On Dec 26, 2023
That's the mystery of life...

We don't always become what we preferred to be but what destiny has charted for us.

However, babangida and his regime remains infamous to many Nigerians.

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Maj196(m): 3:30am On Dec 26, 2023
You can go back in time sir
Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Creamypie(m): 3:33am On Dec 26, 2023
E say *the youths will lead tomorrow". When na same buhari who was governor and petroleum minister between 1975-79 still be president between 2015-23.very irritating

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Femisol(m): 3:46am On Dec 26, 2023
Maradona has been talking lately.

He has always lived heaven on earth right from his 30’s. He single handedly made a woman the richest black woman

Imagine him making heaven, Nigerian masses get sense for once grin

I pity those Federal workers facing sufferness pro max grin
Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by unity004(m): 4:01am On Dec 26, 2023
U end up becoming a civil thief grin grin grin

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Kingrshd3: 4:17am On Dec 26, 2023
K
Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by broadman20: 4:24am On Dec 26, 2023
dododawa1:
BUHARI EMEFELIE and BABAGIDA

Will riot in pot of Hilda

Then Tinubu will face firing squad ABI?

Re: Ibrahim Babangida: I Wanted To Be A Civil Engineer by Irupetepete: 4:55am On Dec 26, 2023
Wait, who dey motivate babangida to talk these days self?
Seeing how the country is bastardized, he will be full of regrets now...
If he had set a good standard that others can emulate, the countrt would have been a better place..
If the foundation is faulty, your house is sure heading for disaster..
He is one of the useless engineers that set the foundation of this faulty country...

I dedicate - - if I can turn back the hands of time by R-KELLY to him, great jam...

Be like say dem don lock that werey song dedicator for nairaland prison, that dude is fucking annoying...

86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners / Jonathan Is Clean And Honest – El-Rufai In 2007 / Ebonyi Killings: We Are Not The Attackers - Agila People