Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? (11004 Views)

Check Out This Marriage Picture. / Can I Survive This Marriage / Twice Unfaithful And Lazy Husband: Should I End This Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by missgstar2: 1:28pm On Nov 02, 2011
Hi guys

I'm writing from London. I'm due to be getting married next year, and this is my 'list' I don't really know the current prices of things in nigeria, and need to come up with a budget with my fiance.

BTW, my family are from Abia state.

How much do you think the whole list will be

MARRIAGE LIST

1). NMAYI NKUTU AKA: ONE BOTTLE OF SCHNAPPS

2). NMAYI IHE AVURU: ONE BOTTLE OF SCHNAPPS

3). NMAYI MKPARI UBUBO: ONE BOTTLE OF SCHNAPPS/BRANDY/WHISKY

4). NMAYI AJUJU NKE NNA NKE NNE:
A). SIX (6) BOTTLES OF ASSORTD HOT DRINKS (THIS INCLUDES 1-3 ABOVE)
B). TWO (2) GALLONS OF PALM WINE
C). AKA NA UTAKU (ONE HAND AND A LEG OF MEAT) – (SHORT FALL MEN N 3K / SHORT FALL WOMEN N3K)
D). 4 X N5 NOTES
E). NATIVE KOLANUTS, GARDEN EGGS AND BITTER KOLA
F). ONE CREATE OF MINERAL

5). U ONU AKU: (BARGAIN OF DOWRY – ONE BOTTLE OF WHISKY)

6). IWU OKWU MMIRI (REACHING ACCORD / SETTLEMENT) – ONE BIG BOTTLE OF WHISKY/BRANDY (THREE IN ONE).

7). BU NMAYI NWANYI:
A). NKOI AKPA N3K (NGWA ATO)
B). AJU ISII N1,500.00
C). NKPO ISII
D). OKWA ISII
E). THIRTY SIX (36) GALLONS OF PALM WINE
F). N120.00 (FOR THOSE TO CARRY THE PALM WINE)
G). EKOT INEM KE-MEN N3K
H). EKOT INEM KE-WOMEN N3K
I). A BIG BOTTLE OF GROUND SNUFF
J). ONE ROLL OF CIGARETTES (BENSON & HEDGES / ST. MORRIS)
K). TWO (2) BIG PACKETS OF MATCHES (TEN IN ONE)
L). IKPEGHE OGBITI / ULO NTA N200.00
M). IKPEGHE ONU-NKPU N2,000.00
N). KOLANUTS, GARDEN EGGS, BITTER KOLA (IN LARGE QUANTITY)
O). TRANSPORT TO BRING OUT THE BRIDE – WOMEN N5,000.00

. NMAYI NGANGA (APPRECIATION)
A). TEN (10) CARTONS OF ASSORTED BEER, INCLUDING TWO (2) CRATES OF SMALL STOUT
B). TEN (10) CRATES OF ASSORTED MINERALS INCLUDING AT LEAST THREE (3) CRATES OF MALTINA

9). FATHER’S LIST
A). ISI AGU / INYINYA MATERIALS FOR CHIEFTAINCY DRESS
B). SIX (6) PIECES OF PLAIN MADRAS (GEORGE)
C). HAT
D). A PAIR OF CUT SHOES
E). GENTS UMBRELLA
F). WALKING STICK
G). GENTS WRIST WATCH
H). HANDKERCHIEFS
I). TOWEL

10). MOTHER’S LIST
A). ONE (1) HEAVY PIECE OF MADRAS (GEORGE)
B). FOUR (4) PIECES OF PLAIN MADRAS (GEORGE)
C). ONE (1) PIECE OF UKPO (REAL DUTCH WAX)
D). HEAD TIE (TWO YARDS)
E). LADIES UMBRELLA
F). CORDLESS BLOUSE MATERIAL
G). A PAIR OF SHOES
H). LADIES WRIST WATCH
I). TOWEL
J). COMPLETE SET OF G. L. CHAIN
K). LADIES HAND BAG
L). HANDHERCHIEFS
M). ONE (1) CARTON OF TOILET / BATHING SOAP
N). ONE (1) CARTON OF BAR SOAP
O). ONE DOZEN OF ASSORTED BODY CREAM
P). SIX (6) ASSORTED TALCUM POWDER

11). DANCING: FOR THE BRIDE TO DANCE WITH THE GROOM N2,000.00

12). COOKING MATERIALS:
2 BAGS OF RICE, 1 COW, 40 BIG TUBERS OF YAM, 2 LONG TAILS OF STOCK FISH, 2 STICKS OF DRY FISH, 6 HEADS OF STOCK FISH, ONE BAG OF GARRI, 30 CUPS OF EGUSI, 2 CUPS OF ACHI, 5 CUPS OF DRIED PEPPER, 1 TRAY OF CRAYFISH, 2 BAGS OF SALT, A BASKET OF FRESH TOMATOES, A TRAY OF ONIONS, A TRAY OF FRESH PEPPER, 1 CARTON OF TINNED TOMATOES, 1 TIN OF MAGGI (ROYCO), 2 BOTTLES OF CURRY POWDER, 2 BOTTLES OF THYME, 1 TIN OF GROUNDNUT OIL, 1 TIN OF PALM OIL, 1 MAT (HAUSA TYPE), 1 BIG BASIN (ERICO) AND 3 NUT MEGS.

13). FOR THE PEOPLE THAT DO THE COOKING:
A). A CRATE OF MINERAL
B). A CARTON OF BEER
C). A PACKET OF CABIN BISCUIT
D). A BOTTLE OF SCHNAPPS
E). A GALLON OF PALM WINE
F). KITCHEN SUPPORT N2,000.00

Thanks!
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by Dyt(f): 1:58pm On Nov 02, 2011
3thousand pounds
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by ronkebp(f): 2:32pm On Nov 02, 2011
Chei!!!!!!!!!!!!see list.l shocked shocked shocked shocked how many of the daughters are you marrying?? abi na just for one person? grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by WAVixen: 2:47pm On Nov 02, 2011
A calculator willbe in order to get the figures you require. grin
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 02, 2011
Are you male or female? There will be no divorce after this list, even if the thought crosses his mind(I assume you are female) by the time he remembers this list and the money he spent, he will cool down his temper.

1 Like

Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by missgstar2: 4:02pm On Nov 02, 2011
Hi guys

Thanks for your responses.

@jennykadry, yes I am female. This marriage will indeed be forever! lol!

@ronkebp, It's just one daughter!
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by ronkebp(f): 5:44pm On Nov 02, 2011
hmmmm!!!!!!!!!all this list would not be less than n250,000.00
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by Nobody: 3:59am On Nov 03, 2011
I will never give that to anyone. That's why i'll probably marry a white woman.
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by femmy2010(m): 6:23am On Nov 03, 2011
I see it also has 1 cow.lol.
A budget of N400k should get it done.
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by ifyalways(f): 7:14am On Nov 03, 2011
@OP,which part of your Abia state speaks Ibibio?what's Ekot Inem ke ?

Is this not the same poo list that have been re-cycled here by closet tribalists that it's gotten bloody boring ?
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by SHABZ: 9:47am On Nov 03, 2011
wot da hell r they using 1 cow for? d list is too expensive jorrr. 'im beginning to eye that family'
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by scribble: 9:56am On Nov 03, 2011
It will cause cancer for the father.

I see he has requested a carton of benson. cool

this is why there should be list consultants and marriage shoppers.

I mean I cant see myself running around to fetch all those things and deliver to the east.

actually wouldnt they be cheaper in the East?
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by missgstar2: 10:02am On Nov 03, 2011
scribble:

It will cause cancer for the father.

I see he has requested a carton of benson. cool

this is why there should be list consultants and marriage shoppers.

I mean I cant see myself running around to fetch all those things and deliver to the east.

actually wouldnt they be cheaper in the East?

That's the plan - hand over the money for most of the stuff - especially food to be bought in the east,
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by seedord247(m): 10:04am On Nov 03, 2011
I don die . , . . .

I got to tell my Igbo girl-friend say i nor dey do again.

shey this one na first bill abi na second bill?

1 Like

Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by KacHemNaU(m): 10:10am On Nov 03, 2011
All this for one woman.
All in the name of culture, abi na sacrifice you won perform? @poster
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by kayalla(f): 10:11am On Nov 03, 2011
@poster, things don shange ooo, u can adjust the list if u want,  u dont have to allow ur hubby to spend all his saving marrying u and at then start scratching for comfort.

u can cut all the requested items in two and provide what u can, becos na the whole village de come chop and share all these things, its not as if its just for ur family.

so provide what u can.

1 Like

Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by seedord247(m): 10:12am On Nov 03, 2011
KacHemNaU:

All this for one woman.
All in the name of culture, abi na sacrifice you won perform? @poster

I wonder o  o o

even Okija sacrifice self no reach this one
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by missgstar2: 10:14am On Nov 03, 2011
kayalla:

@poster, things don shange ooo, u can adjust the list if u want, u dont have to allow your hubby to spend all his saving marrying u and at then start scratching for comfort.

u can cut all the requested items in two and provide what u can, becos na the whole village de come chop and share all these things, its not as if its just for your family.

so provide what u can.

Thank you! That was another thing we were planning to do. Not sure how my family will take that though,
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by Igosun: 10:17am On Nov 03, 2011
Beautiful since they are your people just talk to them and bring some things down or even remove because this is not all you will spend think of you and your hubby needs as well. All the best.
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by ONWARDBABA: 10:23am On Nov 03, 2011
give the contract i will get this done no stress
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by coogar: 10:25am On Nov 03, 2011
ronkebp:

hmmmm!!!!!!!!!all this list would not be less than n250,000.00

i doubt it will be up to 200,000 naira.

it's just a long list of petty stuffs.
i see snuff and benson n hedges(that's probably 50 naira).

the op should just send £800. she should let his dude pay £500 and support him with £300.
it's a tradition and it's no biggie. men cough out this amount on ordinary smart gadgets that they dump after 2 yrs, how much more a wifey.

£800 to £1000 should be enough to fix this list.
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by KacHemNaU(m): 10:34am On Nov 03, 2011
Igosun:

Beautiful since they are your people just talk to them and bring some things down or even remove because this is not all you will spend think of you and your hubby needs as well. All the best.
jor oh
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by Akingbiz: 10:53am On Nov 03, 2011
That list surplus oh.
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by nduchucks: 10:56am On Nov 03, 2011
nwannem, budget about N200,000 - 300,000 (depending on whether you buy imported drinks or Igbo made) since it appears you are marrying into a well-to-do family.  If you reside in London and have trouble raising  that much money then I'm afraid you are not financially ready for marriage - I'm sure you can handle the cost.

Good luck on your marriage.
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by udoka2: 10:56am On Nov 03, 2011
its not a big thing.  even with 100k, they will gladly accept and give their blessing.  You mustn't do everything in that list, during the process of bargaining, tell them u dont have, they will write it down that you are owing them, but who have gone back to pay such debt grin tongue  its just the fun of it.
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by Barrywhite8620: 10:58am On Nov 03, 2011
seedord247:

I don die . , . . .

[b][color=#000099]I got to tell my Igbo girl-friend say i nor dey do again.

shey this one na first bill abi na second bill?[/b][/color]

petrified? grin
Don't b bro(cuz i trust u)
cool
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by oladayo042: 11:07am On Nov 03, 2011
lmao
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by Gbenge77(m): 11:27am On Nov 03, 2011
Quite a list youve got there.Definitely hundreds of thousands
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by ugotuf(m): 11:32am On Nov 03, 2011
my sister,there is nothing to be frightened about there.it is not a do or die thing,you and your man should cut your coats according to your clothe,no body will chase him away on that day for not coming with ALL on that list.there definitely will be bargainings and compromises here and there,there is a lot of fun in it.just lay back and don't let any one instil fear in you,encourage your man and give him all the support in the world.once more, there is no hard and fast rule on how it is done.we all went through it after all.Remember that that day will surely come to pass.you and your man will enjoy it.cheers.
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by Xionez(m): 11:35am On Nov 03, 2011
This list shouldn't be a problem really. Highest, a million naira will do and you will have spare change to make them all proud and happy.

Most items you posted in English, like Wristwatches, soap, green umbrella (made me laugh, why Green undecided), towel (God knows the condition of the one they have been using), jewellery, Schnapps and all that can be gotten where you are based if you want. It even gives them the impression that these items are not fake, are very 'original' ( you gotta love the Nigerian mentality grin) and you couples are trying your best to make sure that they get the best of the best.

The remaining items in our native native tongue needs to be obtained in Nigeria, and [b]you lovebirds have to be present when these items are being purchased [/b]so that the cash doesn't go down the drain. I wouldn't want you to join the unfortunate couples who just shipped money and at the end of the day, there was nothing to show for it. I'm being serious here because i have witnessed such occurrences. If your unable to, i suggest you get someone, a  VERY close aunt or something, who knows Nigerian market mentality and its innards well enough. Mind you, it shouldn't be any random someone.

Good luck in your search and i hope the marriage will be a successful one.

PS. Don't forget to send me my Invitation Card *starts dusting his attire for the purpose* cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by Yankee01: 11:38am On Nov 03, 2011
As thefamily spoke's man, i say,

Just bring #1m. we will manage am. grin grin grin
Re: Help! How Much Will This Marriage List Cost? by Yankee01: 11:45am On Nov 03, 2011
seedord247:

I wonder o o o

even Okija sacrifice self no reach this one

LMAO!

funny

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long / Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? / First Son Named After Wife's First Love.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.