Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language (513 Views)

Buhari Extends Gradual Ease Of Lockdown In Lagos, Abuja, Ogun By 2 Weeks / Implementation Guidelines For Gradual Easing Of Lockdown / FG To Look Into Gradual Removal Of Fuel Subsidy - Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by nairalandankrah: 8:11am On Dec 27, 2023
Vicar of Saint John’s Anglican Church, Ijebu-Igbo, Ogun State, Venerable Lawrence Otegbola, has expressed concern over what he described as gradual extinction of the Yoruba language.

The cleric said this in his sermon during a thanksgiving service marking the 32nd edition of the Owu National Convention, held at Ijebu Igbo, headquarters of Ijebu North Local Government Area of Ogun State.

He lamented that the current generation of Yoruba children and youth no longer understand, and as well as speak the language proficiently.

To appreciate the beauty of the rich tradition and cultural values of Yoruba, he stressed the need for parents to begin to encourage the speaking of the language in their various homes among their children.

According to him, speaking and understanding the language would preserve it and save it from going into extinction.

Otegbola urged Nigerians to live in harmony with their neighbours irrespective of their tribes.

He particularly urged Owu people to see their diversity as a major advantage capable of transforming the economy of the people and ensuring peaceful co-existence with others.

Otegbola called on traditional rulers in the country to lead the crusade of unity among Nigerians, for the socio-economic and political development of the country, calling on Nigerians to live in harmony with their neighbours irrespective of the tribes.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/12/anglican-priest-laments-gradual-extinction-of-yoruba-language/

Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by olisaEze(m): 8:13am On Dec 27, 2023
I don't need anyone's stats to know that the Yoruba language is in no immediate danger of extinction when compared to others in Nigeria. No matter where they're born, it is rare to see a Yoruba man that does not speak his language. Everything doesn't have to be politicized, give kudos when it is due. I believe they're closely followed in that Dept by the Edo people. A fair amount of Italians who don't even know which direction Africa is facing are walking around Europe, blowing pure Igodomigodo & pidgin along with their italo, because of an adventurous ma/grandma! grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by SSFeedsNigeria: 8:25am On Dec 27, 2023
But their god Reno Omokri told them it’s Igbo language that will go extinct and they were all excited. Yet they forgot their own language was already becoming extinct. If hypocrisy was a tribe…

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by Beremx(f): 8:31am On Dec 27, 2023
Then something should be done about it . When an indigenous language begins to go extinct, it calls for concern.

But how did the fool called Reno Omokri and the Bishop know that Igbo and Yoruba languages are going extinct when they don't have facts to back it up?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by johannu(m): 8:35am On Dec 27, 2023
The configuration of Nigeria doesn't help matter. Until Nigeria is re-configured, many cultures and languages will go extinct.
Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by abdeefggh: 8:40am On Dec 27, 2023
The Anglican pastor is high
Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by LegendHero(m): 8:52am On Dec 27, 2023
Beremx:
Then something should be done about it . When an indigenous language begins to go extinct, it calls for concern.

But how did the fool called Reno Omokri and the Bishop know that Igbo and Yoruba languages are going extinct when they don't have facts to back it up?

Don’t mind the Bishop, baba just dey cap.

No Yoruba language is going extinct, I don’t know where these guys are hearing the nonsense.

For here where I dey, even as far as it is from Nigeria, most Yoruba I see speak Yoruba every damn time we meet and even those that never been to Nigeria speak it well to their kid let alone Yorubaland itself.

Go to Ibadan and ALL part of Yoruba cities, na so so Yoruba go dey fly around. Yet all these alarmist want us to believe a language like that will go extinct suddenly.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by princemillla(m): 8:59am On Dec 27, 2023
I strongly disagree with this.
He chooses the wrong topic to stay relevant honestly.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by Bulldozer90: 9:31am On Dec 27, 2023
Lol
Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by YoungBlackRico(m): 9:38am On Dec 27, 2023
Yeah maybe in his own domain...there's no cause for concern when it comes to Yoruba language

1 Like

Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by YoungBlackRico(m): 9:39am On Dec 27, 2023
LegendHero:

No Yoruba language is going extinct, I don’t know where these guys are hearing the nonsense.

For here where I dey, even as far as it is from Nigeria, most Yoruba I see speak Yoruba every damn time we meet and even those that never been to Nigeria speak it well to their kid let alone Yorubaland itself.

Go to Ibadan and ALL part of Yoruba cities, na so so Yoruba go dey fly around. Yet all these alarmist want us to believe a language like that will go extinct suddenly.

No mind am...even on all these video sharing platforms you see other tribes getting mad 'cause Yorubas are speaking what they can't hear.

3 Likes

Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by OmoFiditi: 9:40am On Dec 27, 2023
SSFeedsNigeria:
But their god Reno Omokri told them it’s Igbo language that will go extinct and they were all excited. Yet they forgot their own language was already becoming extinct. If hypocrisy was a tribe…

grin grin
Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by OmoFiditi: 9:41am On Dec 27, 2023
Beremx:

We leave the boil wey dey our nose, dey comot pimple for another man face. grin

1 Like

Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by OmoFiditi: 9:42am On Dec 27, 2023
LegendHero:

But na Ibo go go extinct abi.. grin
Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by LegendHero(m): 9:44am On Dec 27, 2023
OmoFiditi:

You can ask Igwe of Onitsha. Na him go fit talk that one.

This is a Yoruba discussion. When it’s time to for Ibo own, we will call you

4 Likes

Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by jmoore(m): 9:50am On Dec 27, 2023
LegendHero:

Hypocrisy on display. E don reach your turn, you are saying they should visit Ibadan. But you were the one saying Igbo people are on the brink of extinction. Did you visit Onitsha main market, Ariaria market, Nnewi before you reached such a ridiculous statement?
Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by LegendHero(m): 9:57am On Dec 27, 2023
jmoore:

Hypocrisy on display. E don reach your turn, you are saying they should visit Ibadan. But you were the one saying Igbo people are on the brink of extinction. Did you visit Onitsha main market, Ariaria market, Nnewi before you reached such a ridiculous statement?

I don’t remember saying that except if during banter of drug trafficking.

Can you provide me where I said Igbo people will go extinct because of language?

1 Like

Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by OmoFiditi: 10:13am On Dec 27, 2023
LegendHero:

You can ask Igwe of Onitsha. Na him go fit talk that one.

This is a Yoruba discussion. When it’s time to for Ibo own, we will call you

But all your comment and thread na about Awon omo Ibos? With 10 years experience on Ibo matters, you suppose fit chook mouth for Ibo language extinction matter. grin grin
Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by LegendHero(m): 10:16am On Dec 27, 2023
OmoFiditi:

But all your comment and thread na about Awon omo Ibos? With 10 years experience on Ibo matters, you suppose fit chook mouth for Ibo language extinction matter. grin grin

Are you suffering from PTSD? It’s like you’re begging for Ibo dragging.

In the spirit of Christmas, I’ll just let it go.

4 Likes

Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by EmperorCaesar(m): 10:17am On Dec 27, 2023
You must be a joker if u believe this

Yorubas wey fit speak their language anywhere,anytime so tey, even those wey dey use only Yoruba sing dey blow

Same guys that complained that Yorubas speak their language to random people in Lagos streets as if only Yorubas live in Lagos, same guys would come here to say Yoruba language is truly going extinct

Their father is Hippocrates and they are Hypocrites cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by EmperorCaesar(m): 10:19am On Dec 27, 2023
OmoFiditi:

Nobody is even talking about Igbos here yet u somehow brought in that name

No be u dey form fake Yoruba boy that time...I dont have issues with if u side with ibos or not but if in a thread like this u still cant defend your adopted Yoruba tribe with facts, then I know the shape of your head cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by OmoFiditi: 10:23am On Dec 27, 2023
EmperorCaesar:

Nobody is even talking about Igbos here yet u somehow brought in that name

No be u dey form fake Yoruba boy that time...I dont have issues with if u side with ibos or not but if in a thread like this u still cant defend your adopted Yoruba tribe with facts, then I know the shape of your head cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

You go explain tire. grin
Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by OmoFiditi: 10:24am On Dec 27, 2023
LegendHero:

Are you suffering from PTSD? It’s like you’re begging for Ibo dragging.

In the spirit of Christmas, I’ll just let it go.

My dear brother, if we no drag awon omo ibo, how we go do?
Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by christejames(m): 10:26am On Dec 27, 2023
He could be right though, all these Gen Z guys don't take local culture serious they care more about woke culture just to keep up with the Jones. undecided
Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by Holluwhakemmy(f): 10:28am On Dec 27, 2023
Arakunrin yen o mo kan tan so lenu Yoruba language wo lo n go into extinction. Yoruba language ti America ti adopt ati orile ede miran

2 Likes

Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by Holluwhakemmy(f): 10:31am On Dec 27, 2023
SSFeedsNigeria:

Ma a tan ara e ta lo mo igbo language. When we are talking about language Igbo language should just lie low
Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by Splashme: 10:33am On Dec 27, 2023
Ok
Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by Holluwhakemmy(f): 10:35am On Dec 27, 2023
princemillla:
I strongly disagree with this.
He chooses the wrong topic to stay relevant honestly.
don't mind him he was just saying nonsense to be relevant
Re: Popular Anglican Priest Laments Gradual Extinction Of Yoruba Language by Vinnie2000(m): 11:56am On Dec 27, 2023
When I once made a post of our Nigerian languages going extinct,
Some Pple were Arguing Yoruba would not go extinct. 😒😏

Wizkid, Davido, Tiwa Savage, Olamide and other many YORUBAS of Today are NOT teaching their kids Yoruba.😐

So who will now be Speaking Yoruba in 30years time? 🙁🙁

(1) (Reply)

Bourdillon, Almajiris And Poverty In Yorubaland / North Vs South - The Lies Of A Nation. / Awka, Anambra State Capital Must Be Clean, Prince Ndigwe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.