Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,286 members, 7,815,491 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Does It Matter The Day We Worship? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does It Matter The Day We Worship? (3817 Views)

When We Worship God Because Of Fear Of Hell / No Matter The Economy Of The Jungle.i Can Never Eat Grass...it Is Not Pride... / We worship one TRUE GOD not a TRINITY - A Provocative discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by dreamnaira(m): 3:35pm On Sep 16, 2007
I have had a lot of people saying it doesn't matter the day you keep holy or worship, but going through the scripture which we christians use as our standard, i discovered the seventh the to be on sarturday but the question should be; why are we worshiping on the first day of the week instead of seventh commanded by God?
On this question i haven't get any conviencing answer.

And second question is what is the significance of that seventh day we were commanded to worship?

Why did God in the fouth commandment used "REMEMBER" instead of "THOU SHALL'' He used on the other nine?

I'm always afraid when i read {Mark7:7,8} i wonder whether one after strugle here to worship God could in return have such a rebulk ' in vain you worship me keeping the commandment of man'. I need a sound reponse whether Sunday abservance could not be regarded by God since it is the firet day of the week.

Please any body that want to comment should consider these three things done by God on the seventh day; He rested on it, He blessed it and hallowed it.
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by Bobbyaf(m): 6:16pm On Sep 16, 2007
@ dreamnaira

I have had a lot of people saying it doesn't matter the day you keep holy or worship, but going through the scripture which we christians use as our standard, i discovered the seventh the to be on sarturday but the question should be; why are we worshiping on the first day of the week instead of seventh commanded by God?
On this question i haven't get any conviencing answer.

This topic has been one of hot debate, and its not new to the forum at all. A lot of people will say this and that, but the truth lies only in the scriptures. Its good to know you're searching the scriptures as Jesus recommended. I would like to say this however, that its not so much a question of worshipping on a day, since on all days we worship God, including all the other six days. Its a question of keeping His day holy by resting from one's work. Its a question of being obedient to God's command.

And second question is what is the significance of that seventh day we were commanded to worship?

The significance lies in the commandmet itself. It siginifes who God is, and that is Creator. The seventh-day sabbath was designed by God for humans to commemorate His creative works. On every seventh-day mankind would rest from his works, just as how God rested from His works.

Why did God in the fouth commandment used "REMEMBER" instead of "THOU SHALL'' He used on the other nine?

Because he didn't want anyone to forget. grin

I'm always afraid when i read {Mark7:7,8} i wonder whether one after strugle here to worship God could in return have such a rebulk ' in vain you worship me keeping the commandment of man'. I need a sound reponse whether Sunday abservance could not be regarded by God since it is the firet day of the week.

I have presented arguments indicating that Sunday observance is strictly man made. God had absolutely nothing to do with it as far as it being an accepted day of worship. God's law of 10 commandments is immutable and unchanging, and so logically speaking its futile even thinking that God would see the need to initiate a change.

Please any body that want to comment should consider these three things done by God on the seventh day; He rested on it, He blessed it and hallowed it.

I agree.

I recommend you study this site:

www.amazingfacts.org
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by dreamnaira(m): 3:09pm On Sep 17, 2007
bobbyaf

you seem to be logical though your answers to the three questions were very clear
and sensible but does it mean that since sunday is man made and law of God Immutable as you rghtly said and as you points out that it's should be a commemoration of God as our creator, does it mean that worshipping on sunday{man made] is wrong?]

And when God used 'REMEMBER' could it be that He forsaw the time when people wll no longer keep the seventh day sabbath?

Thanx for the sitelink.

Pls, more contributions from those that held the Bible as their standard of faith.
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by pilgrim1(f): 3:31pm On Sep 17, 2007
dreamnaira:

Please, more contributions from those that held the Bible as their standard of faith.

Hi dreamnaira,

It's often quite quizzical that many who suppose they hold the Bible as their standard actually have not taken time to study it for themselves. On the issue of the sabbath, let's understand why God asked the Jews to "remember" that day. There were TWO reasons why He gave them that Law/commandment on the sabbath --

(1) [list][li]Exodus 20:8 & 11[/li][/list]
[list]- to celebrate God's awesomeness in CREATION[/list]:

[list]"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. . . For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."[/list]

(2) [list][li]Deuteronomy 5:15[/li][/list]
[list]- to celebrate God's DELIVERANCE of Israel from their Egyptian slavery:[/list]

[list]And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day. "[/list]

The problem with many people when dealing with issues like this - especially when it apperatins to the Sinaitic LAW - is that they base all their thinking and hope on the OLD creation and OLD covenant. That is why they carry that thinking and mentality into the NEW creation and the NEW convenant - and thereby miss the PURPOSE of the Sabbath Law. Take the time to understand the huge import of why the sabbath law was given.

You will be blessed to know that it simply speaks of a glorious rest for the soul of those who enjoy: (a) the blessing of the NEW CREATION; and (b) the blessing of true DELIVERANCE in Christ.

This can be seen in the simple statement the apostle makes in Hebrews 4:10 -

[list]"For he that is entered into his rest,

he also hath ceased from his own works,

as God did from his."[/list]

That glorious rest is found by faith in Jesus Christ. It has nothing to do with an old creation and old covenant understanding. Christ is the TRUE REST, and He truly gives that rest for the soul >>

Matt. 11:28 & 29 - "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."

Cheers. wink
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by dreamnaira(m): 8:12pm On Sep 17, 2007
Pilgrim.1

if the sinai law had be done away wth, why is killing, adultry etc. sin?
The word REMEMBER used by is not a mistake by God. Bible or God is a master of semantics. The used used of that word by God was to remind them of what had being into existence. sabbath commandment was not giving as a result of sin just like all others and wll not be eradicated wth sin. Read [Isa66:21-23]. The observance of the sabbath is the only law that had the seal of God {The Creator] and if one need to understand why it is the object of satan's attack.

The controversy b/w God and satan is who to worship, no worder satan counterfeited any thing done by God. It is the same reason he{satan] introduced counterfeit sabbath.
God called out the the Isrealite only to establish His worship so that through the people of isreal as God promise to Abraham, the whole world wll come to know God and worship Him.

The issue of OLD and NEW covenant people hold on taday as the reason the sabbath is no more of effect is a misconception and misrepresentation of issues. mixing the DECALOGUE wth the LAW OF ORDINANCES or CEREMONIAL LAW is wrong. The former was written by God on two tablets of stone and kept inside the Ark while the later was written by Moses on a scroll{paper] and was placed beside the Ark.[Duet31:26}

The ceremonial law was law that Hebrew refered to as the shadow of things to come{Christ] . Crermonial law goes wth many ordinances both ceremonial sabbaths which was the law that was nailed to the cross by christ {col2:13-16}
It was the law of ordinances that was nailed on the cross {col2:14-16, Eph2:15, 1peter2:34, Heb8:13] see {lev23:2-44]. see also the law that was against us {Duet31:26]

Key for thought: [1] written by God {Duet10:4}
                          [2] written on tablet of stone {Deut10:4]  by God
                          [3] placed inside the Ark {Deut10:5}

{1} written by Moses {Deut31:24}
                          {2} written on paper {Deut31:24}  by Moses
                             {3} placed brside the Atk {Deut31:26}

position of Jesus regarding the law {matt5:17-19] here the law Christ was refering to is the DECALOGUE. Jesus while here on earth Kept the sabbath {luk4:16'} Jesus when confronted by a pharisee law the Greatest of the commandment, Jesus here summarized the law in two; your duties to God {Ex 20:3-11} the 1st and your duties to your fellow man the second {Ex 20:12-17}

I believe simple reasoning wll understand the position of the law even as paul put it in his letter to the Romans {Rom7:7}
The law on its own can not set any body free, but we keep the law as christians because it is the character of God which as christians{christ like] should emulate.
The sabbath law on its own is the only law that has the seal of God: His Name, his jurisdiction and His seal. No doubt satan had been attacking it!

Sabbath is the sign b/w God and His people {Ez 20:12, 20}
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by pilgrim1(f): 12:14am On Sep 18, 2007
@dreamnaira,

Glad to read yours; and you presented matters that would necessitate a detailed rejoinder, because I would really like you to grasp the points I raise. The issue here is a very small matter - and the mistake people often make is to assume a perpetuity of "legal application" of the Sinaitical Law. Let's sift through yours:

dreamnaira:

if the sinai law had be done away wth, why is killing, adultry etc. sin?

A
You would imagine that the Decalogue alone defines the whole Law of God; but that is simply ignoring the whole scope and purpose of the Law. What you need to understand is that the Sinatic Law has a twofold import:

(a) it was given to the Jews alone - Deut. 5:2 & 3 (see also Rom. 3:1 & 2; 9:4)

"The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb.
The LORD made not this covenant with our fathers,
but with us, even us, who are all of us here alive this day."

(b) it was ratified by blood, without which it would be ineffective and inoperative:

"And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said,
Behold the blood of the covenant, which the LORD hath made with you
concerning all these words. " (Exo. 24:8)

The basic question you need to ask yourself is under what covenant did God give the Sinaitic Law? Remember that a covenant (or "testament" as in the KJV) is "of no strength at all while the testator liveth". Thus, if you're arguing to make the Sinatic Law a matter of Christianity, then you would have to predicate Christianity upon the blood of the old covenant - the blood of bulls and goats:

"For when every commandment of the law had been declared by Moses
to all the people, he took the blood of calves and goats, with water and
scarlet wool and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book itself and all the people,
saying, "This is the blood of the covenant that God commanded for you."
(Heb. 9:17 & 18 - ESV)

Now are we saying that the Law against murder, adultery, stealing, etc have been done away so that Christians can live carelessly and not worry about what the Law says? Not at all. The point is that we need to understand the basic principle of the Law - its intrinsic value. The apostle Paul indeed argued: "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law" (Rom. 3:31). However, he also noted that "the law is spiritual" (Rom. 7:14) - and that is where many people miss the key to understand the Law. They are looking for a legalistic, outward, rigid, purpose of the Law; whereas by so doing, they completely miss the real value of the Law.

The Sinatic Law demonsrates the principle of holiness - but it does not give life (Gal. 3:21). It only tells you what is "right" and "wrong"; but it does not provide you with the power to live "righteously" before God (Rom. 8:3 - "For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh"wink.
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by pilgrim1(f): 12:15am On Sep 18, 2007
B

dreamnaira:

The word REMEMBER used by is not a mistake by God. Bible or God is a master of semantics.

I don't remember ever saying God made a "mistake" anywhere; and NO, God is not interested in our semantics more than His desire for us to understand Him in all matters of the Faith. What I tried to point out to you as regards the word "REMEMBER" is that God gave them the sabbath law to celebrate TWO things rather than only one; and not until we come to the New Testament do we understand the purpose of that Law.

dreamnaira:

The used used of that word by God was to remind them of what had being into existence. sabbath commandment was not giving as a result of sin just like all others and wll not be eradicated wth sin. Read [Isa66:21-23]. The observance of the sabbath is the only law that had the seal of God {The Creator] and if one need to understand why it is the object of satan's attack.

You're making a doubly grave mistake here. Let's bring you round to three important matters:

(a) The sabbath law has been used by legalistic men to accuse others while supposing that they themselves are pleasing God in their mistaken zeal. The idea that Satan is "attacking" the sabbath law is really a weak assumption - for the very object of satanic attack is Christ Himself. That is why legalistic men who complained so much about the "sabbath law" were the very ones who killed the Son of God! First, they accused him of being a "sinner" while they "praised" God (John 9:16 & 24 - "This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day . . Give God the praise: we know that this man is a sinner"wink. Satan desires to hold men bound to religious systems - especially with a legalistic badge; but when you present Christ Himself, the foundations of hades are threatened.

(b) Please, don't make that heretical mistake of supposing that the seal of God is the observance of the sabbath law! If you carefully listen to the WORD, you will find that God's seal is the very Spirit of God - which He has given to every believer to mark them out as His own! Here:

>> (i) under the economy of the OT, "circumcision" the seal of those who walked with God -
"And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith
which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe,
though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also"
(Rom. 4:11)

>> (ii) in the NT economy, God's seal is the Spirit Himself given to mark out every believer -

"Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts."
(2 Cor. 1:22)

"In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth,
the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed,
ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise"
(Eph. 1:13)

"And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed
unto the day of redemption. "
(Eph. 4:30)

(c) the Isaiah 66 text you quoted boldly declares matters appertaining to the Old Covenant worship - that's why the mention of priests and Levites in vs. 21! The verses you quoted should not be snatched out of their contexts - for they are not speaking in literal terms, but rather in prophetic symbolism. If you doubt this, then please read from verse 20 where it says that all nations shall go to Jerusalem to worship the LORD! Is that literal also - especially in regards to what the Lord Jesus Christ said in John 4:23 - "Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father"?  No, the prophecy in Isaiah 66 is not proof text for a seventh day sabbath observance - and we cannot dribble that idea into the text midway and play games to apply different rules to other verses in that chapter out of context.
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by pilgrim1(f): 12:16am On Sep 18, 2007
C

dreamnaira:

The controversy b/w God and satan is who to worship, no worder satan counterfeited any thing done by God. It is the same reason he{satan] introduced counterfeit sabbath.

What is the "counterfeit" sabbath? Let's be careful in using words just to justify what we can't defend from God's WORD.

dreamnaira:

God called out the the Isrealite only to establish His worship so that through the people of isreal as God promise to Abraham, the whole wll come to know God and worship HIm.

Is that calling predicated upon a "sabbath Law"?

dreamnaira:

The issue of OLD and NEW covenant people hold on taday as the reason the sabbath is no more of effect is a misconception and misrepresentation of issues. mixing the DECALOGUE wth the LAW OF ORDINANCES or CEREMONIAL LAW. The former was written by God on two tablets of stone and kept inside the Ark while the later was written by Moses on a scroll{paper] and was placed beside the Ark.[Duet31:26}

Lol. . . you make me laugh! grin The Decalogue and the ceremonial ordinaces do not define the new covenant. Go check it out for yourself!

dreamnaira:

The ceremonial law was the the refered to as the shadow of what to come{Christ] mentioned in Hebrew. Crermonial law goes wth many ordinances both ceremonial sabbaths which was the law that was nail to the cross by christ {col2:13-16}

The sabbath Law was just one - not many! Of course you read of "sabbaths" (Lev. 26:2) - but that is a term that also included the Sinatical Law of the sabbath. Crafty men who have knotted themselves on their mistaken ideas on this point have tried to make a division between "Decalogue sabbath" and "ceremonial sabbaths" - as if God gave one set of sabbath law for perpetuity and another set of sabbath law which could be dispensed with! The sabbath Law was simply one - but the "sabbaths" were indicative of the "details" of that Law.

dreamnaira:

It was the law of ordinances that was nailed on the cross {col2:14-16, Eph2:15, 1peter2:34, Heb8:13] see {lev23:2-44]. see also the law that was against us {Duet31:26]

It is amazing that you would quote Leviticus 23:2-44 as indicated of the law of ordinances that was nailed to the Cross! Did you take time to see that verse 3 was saying precisely the very same thing as the Sabbath Law given in the Decalogue?!? Here - compare them for yourself:

(a) "Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God:
in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son,
nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant,
nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates"
- - - (Exodus 20:9 & 10)

(b) "Six days shall work be done:
but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation;
ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings."
- - - (Leviticus 23:3)

What you have just done is to effectively destroy the very same sabbath Law that you're trying to preserve!!
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by pilgrim1(f): 12:17am On Sep 18, 2007
D

dreamnaira:

Key for thought: [1] written by God {Duet10:4}
                          [2] written on tablet of stone {Deut10:4]  by God
                          [3] placed inside the Ark {Deut10:5}

{1} written by Moses {Deut31:24}
                          {2} written on paper {Deut31:24}  by Moses
                             {3} placed brside the Atk {Deut31:26}

Lol. . . that which is written both on PAPER and on STONE cannot be compared with that which is written upon the HEARTS and MINDS of believers. Here are the key thoughts in the New Testament:

* (a) "And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount,
and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law,
and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them."
- - - (Exo. 24:12)

* (b) "Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ
ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God;
not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart. . . For if that which
is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious."
- - - (2 Cor. 3:3 & 11)

Christians are not called to look unto that which is written or engraven in stone - but the new convenant is a matter of the Spirit's liberty operating in the heart of the believer into the glorious rest found in Christ.

dreamnaira:

position of Jesus regarding the law {matt5:17-19] here the law Christ was refering to is the DECALOGUE. Jesus while here on earth Kept the sabbath {luk4:16'} Jesus when confronted by a pharisee law the Greatest of the commandment, Jesus here summarized the law in two; your duties to God {Ex 20:3-11} the 1st and your duties to your fellow man the second {Ex 20:12-17}

It would surprise you that in His answer in Mark 12 to the scribe's was not taken from the Decalogue! That is the mistake people often make. The scribe asked Him: "Which is the first commandment of all?" And it would have been easy enough for the Lord Jesus to have quoted Exodus 20:3 or Deuteronomy 5:7 and recited the first of all the commandments - "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." But no - He did not do that.

Rather, His first answer was from Deuteronomy 6:4-5 -- "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." As pertaining to the second, He quoted from Leviticus 19:18 - "thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself". By these He demonstrated that enslavement to the Decalogue is simply not what God intended - for to be fastidious to the Ten Commandments was to miss its import while trying to make a neat division of the Decalogue into "duties to God" and "duties to man".
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by pilgrim1(f): 12:18am On Sep 18, 2007
E

dreamnaira:

I believe simple reasoning wll understand the position of the law even as paul put it in his letter to the Romans {Rom7:7}
The law on its own can not set any body free, but we keep the law as christians because it is the character of God which as christians{christ like] should emulate.

Sorry, I'm not one of those who supposes that the Law is the "character" of God - it is simply not so! There are basically two reasons why I don't believe it to be so:

(a) the Law has its limitations - "what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh" (Rom. 8:3)

(b) the Law could not give life - ". . for if there had been a law given which could have given life,
verily righteousness should have been by the law" (Gal. 3:21)

Those who often speak of the Law as the "character" of God have failed to see the point that God's character is not "weakness" and "limitations". Like I said earlier, the Law demonstrates the principle of holiness - but it does not give you the POWER to live that life before God! That which speaks of a limitation and weakness is not a demonstration of the "character" of God. Only in Christ do we see God revealed.

dreamnaira:

The sabbath law on its own is the only law that has the seal of God: His Name, his jurisdiction and His seal. No doubt satan had been attacking it!

Lol. . . there again, you're mistaken, my dear friend. The sabbath law is the 4th commandment amongst the 10 in the Decalogue. The very 1st commandment declares the Name of God - "I am the LORD thy God. . . Thou shalt have no other gods before me" (Exo. 20:2 & 3). Also, the 3rd commandment has God's Name to it: "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain" (vs. 7).

Secondly, to assert that the sabbath Law is the "only law" that has the seal of God, is at once the same thing as rubbishing all the other 9 commandments! God's Name is connected to His WORD - and to make any matter in His express command a question of 1 out of 9 is to fall into the error that Christ warned against in Matthew 5:18-19!

You seem to have been holding on to ideas pandered about by many - they often do that without carefully checking the WORD of God to ascertain their claims. It is important that we don't swallow everything that people teach without exercising the discipline to seek God Himself in His WORD.

dreamnaira:

Sabbath is the sign b/w God and His people {Ez 20:12, 20}

Lol. . . indeed the sabbath was one of the signs between God and the children of Israel unto the generations (Exo. 31:17). The other sign was "circumcision" (cf. Gen. 17:10, 11, 13). But even so, did God give the sabbath Law as a sign between Him and the Gentiles? Remember that in the Body of Christ, there is "neither Jew nor Greek" (Gal. 3:28 and Col. 3:11) - so could anyone be quoting what appertained to Jewish rites and make that a matter of Christians under the new covenant?

I appreciate the arguments you offered; but from all counts, they really don't make a strong case for an old covenant sabbath law unto new covenant believers in Christ. The true rest is not a "day" - it is rather a Person: the Lord Jesus Christ Himself.

Cheers.
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by dreamnaira(m): 8:17pm On Sep 18, 2007
Pilgrim.1

I'm very proud of you and how you recite Bible as if you wrote them but there is one thing thy lackest. Having gone through your reply of a post, i understood  you knew that following man's tradition wll lead one no where as you rightly put it; 'will  you continue to reject His word in order to keep the traditions of catholicism'. If i should ask you this question ' sunday observance isn't catholic tradition?' Please before you answer that question first make your reseach.

i don't stand for argument but truth, you may present fact but remember before God there is nothing like 99% truth. Is either is the truth or not.

The most dangerous falsehold, is the falsehold mingled with Truth. Wth this satan decieved angels, wth this he works today. satan is a crafty being, his snares we may not understand unless the scripture.
satan never present 100% lies to decieve but 'thou shall not surely die' when God had said you will die if you eat off the forbidden fruit. think about it.

cheer and God bless
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by pilgrim1(f): 8:27pm On Sep 18, 2007
@dreamnaira,

Thank you for your replies. I was hoping you would bring up the issue about Christians worshipping on Sunday being a Roman Catholic invention. I'm sorry, the facts I have before me do not lead to that inference! I wait to see how those who have alleged it so can defend their case - and I would have to refer them to the same sources where they harvested their research from to re-engineer the idea that Sunday is an RCC invention.

I'm not a Catholic, and I don't agree with Roman Catholic tenets. Many people have such a passionate hatred against Catholicism that they let it spill over to hate against Catholics themselves. I'm not one of those - and I always try to main a clear distinction between issues and people, for they are not the same thing. However, even where I do not agree with Catholic teachings, I am not one of those that would blindly blame the Catholic Church for just about anything we worry over. That would simply put us in a sorry position as those who pretend to puruse "truth", but only end up weaving 3-dimensional cartoons to sell falsehood. (Sorry about my language, but it's true - because I've seen some very dishonest reports by non-Catholics floating on the internet).

All the same, I'm more interested in discussing this and other topic from a Biblical perspective. And on that, I wait.

God bless you plenty. wink
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by dreamnaira(m): 9:25pm On Sep 18, 2007
Pilgrim.1
For more fact about the change of the sabbath from sarturday to sunday look the following ' The SUNDAY law of Contantine' march, 7 321 AD._ Joseph Cullen Ayer, A Source Book for Ancient Church History [New YOrk: Chales Scribner's Sons. 1913], div,2, per. 1 ch. 1, sec. 59, g, 285.

The latin original is in the Codex Justiniani {Codex of Justinian}. lib. 3, title12, lex. 3. the law is given in latin and the English translation in Philip Schaff's History of the christian church, vol. 3 3d period. Ch, 7. sec. 75, p.380, footnote 1; and in James A.Hessey's Bampton lectures, Sunday, lecture3,par. 1. 3d en., Murray's printing of 1866, p. 58. See discussion in Schaff,as refered to; in Aibert Henry Newman, A Manual of church History [Philadephia: The American Baptist Publication Society, printing of 1933].rev. ed, vol. 1, pp. 305-307; and in Leroy E. Froom, The Prophetic Faith of Our Fathers {Washington, D.C : Review and Herald publishing Assn.,1950}. vol. 1, pp 376-381.

To see where the Bible Predicted the change, [Dan 7:23-25]
Catholic church changed the sabbath from sarturday to sunday{law}
Catholic church changed the time reckoning from sundown to sundown to 12midnight to midnight {time}

catholic til date never deny this facts as you can also see their CATHECHISM for more facts.
Think you and God bless
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by Horus(m): 10:09pm On Sep 18, 2007
If God went to sleep on the seventh day and Christ is worshipped on Sunday then who are they (Sunday churchgoers) praying to? Because God is sleeping, unless you are trying to wake him up and serve him on his day of sleeping . . . God worked a whole six days and now on Sunday morning he’s laying in his bed. This is how he makes this sound.
God is sitting in his chair, or laying in his bed he goes to sleep on Sunday morning, and you go to church on Sunday morning and go, “oh God, oh God, oh God.” Then you’re wondering why your prayers are not being answered. The reason why your prayers are not being answered is quite simple; because God sleeps on Sunday. You have to change the day – try Wednesday when God is up working. Have you ever tried to disturb your mother and father when they were working (or sleeping)?
You don’t thank God for health and the gifts that you have. You’re in church on Sunday begging for more stuff.
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by mrpataki(m): 10:36pm On Sep 18, 2007
Horus:

If God went to sleep on the seventh day and Christ is worshipped on Sunday then who are they (Sunday churchgoers) praying to? Because God is sleeping, unless you are trying to wake him up and serve him on his day of sleeping . . . God worked a whole six days and now on Sunday morning he’s laying in his bed. This is how he makes this sound.
God is sitting in his chair, or laying in his bed he goes to sleep on Sunday morning, and you go to church on Sunday morning and go, “oh God, oh God, oh God.” Then you’re wondering why your prayers are not being answered. The reason why your prayers are not being answered is quite simple; because God sleeps on Sunday. You have to change the day – try Wednesday when God is up working. Have you ever tried to disturb your mother and father when they were working (or sleeping)?

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Yeshua man,

I have not forgotten you. Have you not read in the scriptures, that He neither sleeps nor slumbers cheesy cheesy

Good parents who care about their children will wake up at whatever time it is to listen to the heart cry of their child! Your analogy is purely rubbish!
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by tamby(f): 10:47pm On Sep 18, 2007
wats dat?dont u know d diff btw slp n rest?it was recorded dat he restd.even dough he slpt,do u do 1 thing all ur life?he slept a long,long time ago b4 ur greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat grand parents were even tot of.
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by pilgrim1(f): 7:24am On Sep 19, 2007
@deamnaira,

dreamnaira:

Pilgrim.1
For more fact about the change of the sabbath from sarturday to sunday look the following ' The SUNDAY law of Contantine' march, 7 321 AD._ Joseph Cullen Ayer, A Source Book for Ancient Church History [New YOrk: Chales Scribner's Sons. 1913], div,2, per. 1 ch. 1, sec. 59, g, 285.

The latin original is in the Codex Justiniani {Codex of Justinian}. lib. 3, title12, lex. 3. the law is given in latin and the English translation in Philip Schaff's History of the christian church, vol. 3 3d period. Ch, 7. sec. 75, p.380, footnote 1; and in James A.Hessey's Bampton lectures, Sunday, lecture3,par. 1. 3d en., Murray's printing of 1866, p. 58. See discussion in Schaff,as refered to; in Aibert Henry Newman, A Manual of church History [Philadephia: The American Baptist Publication Society, printing of 1933].rev. ed, vol. 1, pp. 305-307; and in Leroy E. Froom, The Prophetic Faith of Our Fathers {Washington, D.C : Review and Herald publishing Assn.,1950}. vol. 1, pp 376-381.

Thanks for the resources recommended. Admittedly, I haven't come across a few of them; but others I'm quite familiar with - and it's all the same forced inference that has no basis in the original statement Constantine delivered as regards Sunday. Perhaps you might want to go over to another thread and see a summary sketch already given: (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-55857.0.html#msg1167803). I'll reproduce it here below:

. . . and here is an excerpt of an article in the Encyclopedia Brittannica (15th Ed., Vol. 11, pg. 392):

Sunday, first day of the week; in Christianity, the Lord's Day, the weekly memorial of Jesus Christ's
resurrection from the dead. The practice of Christians gathering together for worship on Sunday dates
back to apostolic times, but details of the actual development of the custom are not clear. Before the
end of the 1st Century AD, the author of Revelation gave the first day its name of the "Lord's Day"
(Rev. 1:10). Saint Justin Martyr (c. 100-c. 165), philosopher and defender of the Christian faith, in his
writings described the Christians gathered together for worship on the Lord's Day: the gospels or the
Old Testament was read, the presiding minister preached a sermon, and the group prayed together and
celebrated the Lord's Supper. The emperor Constantine (d. 337), a convert to Christianity, introduced the
first civil legislation concerning Sunday in 321, when he decreed that all work should cease on Sunday,
except that farmers could work if necessary. This law, aimed at providing time for worship, was followed
later in the same century and in subsequent centuries by further restrictions on Sunday activities.

However, before even the birth of Emperor Constantine, church fathers who lived and wrote earlier on Church history have stated clearly that Sunday was being observed by Christians. There are several translations of the early Church Fathers' writings; but the gists are the same in substance.

Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch in Syria wrote in his epistle to the Magnesians (c. A.D. 110):

8. Do not be led astray by those erroneous teachings and ancient fables which are utterly worthless. Indeed,
if at this date we still conform to Judaism, then we own that we have not received grace. Why, the Prophets,
those men so very near to God, lived in conformity with Christ Jesus. . .

9. Consequently, if the people who were given to obsolete practices faced the hope of a new life, and if these
no longer observe the Sabbath, but regulate their calendar by the Lord's Day, the day, too, on which our Life rose
by His power and through the medium of His death--though some deny this; and if to this mystery we owe our
faith and because of it submit to sufferings to prove ourselves disciples of Jesus Christ, our only Teacher: how,
then, can we possibly live apart from Him of whom, by the working of the Spirit, even the Prophets were disciples
and to whom they looked forward as their Teacher? And so He, for whom they rightly waited, came and raised them
from the dead.

10. . . .It is absurd to have Jesus Christ on the lips, and at the same time live like a Jew.

Justin Martyr (c. 100-165 A.D.) in his First Apology of Justin, Chapter 67 wrote:

"And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place,
and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; . . .
But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which
God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Savior
on the same day rose from the dead."

Eusebius writing in his Ecclesiatical History, Book 1, Chapter 5 (c. A.D. 315) stated:

For as the name Christians is intended to indicate this very idea, that a man, by the knowledge and
doctrine of Christ, is distinguished by modesty and justice, by patience and a virtuous fortitude, and
by a profession of piety towards the one and only true and supreme God; all this no less studiously
cultivated by them than by us. They did not, therefore, regard circumcision, nor observe the Sabbath,
neither do we; neither do we abstain from certain foods, nor regard other injunctions, which Moses
subsequently delivered to be observed in types and symbols, because such things as these do not
belong to Christians."

The same Eusebius wrote earlier in A.D. 312:

"They did not care about circumcision of the body, neither do we. They did not care about
observing Sabbaths, nor do we
. They did not avoid certain kinds of food, neither did they
regard the other distinctions which Moses first delivered to their posterity to be observed as
symbols; nor do Christians of the present day do such things" (Church History 1:4:8 ).

Perhaps you may want to verify the real gist in the sources above. smiley
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by pilgrim1(f): 7:31am On Sep 19, 2007
dreamnaira:

To see where the Bible Predicted the change, [Dan 7:23-25]
Catholic church changed the sabbath from sarturday to sunday{law}
Catholic church changed the time reckoning from sundown to sundown to 12midnight to midnight {time}

Daniel 7:23-25 has been used often times by seventh-day sabbatarians to arrive at an interpretation against the Catholic Church. Careful study of those verses, however, reveal they are not correct in their inferences. Besides, even in Scripture time has been reckoned from morning to morning (sunrise to sunrise) before the supposed period of fulfillment for Daniel 7:23-25.

dreamnaira:

catholic til date never deny this facts as you can also see their CATHECHISM for more facts.
Think you and God bless

The Catholic Church has always claimed so many things - and they don't deny some of those claims even though they are unfounded.

Cheers.
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by dreamnaira(m): 10:47pm On Sep 19, 2007
Pilgrim.1

I don't know how far you understand the book of Daniel and Revelation, that would have guide you more about the endtime events and prophecy about Catholicism.

And mind you, catholic never claim what it had not done.
If your re current you would know of Pope John Paul II's apology on 1st January,2000. about more than 50million christians martyred by catholic church during the Dark Ages. read [Dan7:23-25] to see who fulfilled that prophecy.

I really admired the way you defend you points but it's purely based on sophistry.
I will like you to pray for God to grant you THE SPIRIT OF PROPHECY.

lest i forget, remember that catholic martyred christians during Dark Ages and wll still do it again. Is either your catholic or face martyr {WHAT BEHIND THE NEW WORLD ORDER}

God bless
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by pilgrim1(f): 11:58pm On Sep 19, 2007
Hi dreamnaira,

dreamnaira:

I don't know how far you understand the book of Daniel and Revelation, that would have guide you more about the endtime events and prophecy about Catholicism.

If the sabbath issue was discussed in Daniel and the Revelation to show that the Catholic Church is at the center of it all, then I am willing to consider the argument as such. However, I don't think that people should just make inferences by snatching verses from those books of the Bible just to weave Catholicism to fit the mold.

dreamnaira:

And mind you, catholic never claim what it had not done.
If your re current you would know of Pope John Paul II's apology on 1st January,2000. about more than 50million christians martyred by catholic church during the Dark Ages. read [Dan7:23-25] to see who fulfilled that prophecy.

Lol, many people often see only the atrocities of the Catholic Church - but they little realize that those who often accuse others also have issues to settle in the same vein. Indeed, Catholicism has its hands full of blood; but are we forgeting that major divisions within the Protestant community has done the same thing in smaller measures?

dreamnaira:

I really admired the way you defend you points but it's purely based on sophistry.
I will like you to pray for God to grant you THE SPIRIT OF PROPHECY.

It would be easy enough to point out the flaws in my arguments if they are based on sophistry. I often come across people who are not confident of their convictions - and such remarks only betray their weakness.

dreamnaira:

lest i forget, remember that catholic martyred christians during Dark Ages and wll still do it again. Is either your catholic or face martyr {WHAT BEHIND THE NEW WORLD ORDER}

Hehe. . . please go through the relevant texts and see what is stated in them. It is not enough for people to just be accusative simply because everyone has something negative to say about the Catholic Church. I am not Roman Catholic; but I don't think it's healthy to just blame every negative issue on Catholics - that's not what Scripture presents to us as regards the issue of the seventh-day sabbath.

Cheers.
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by Ndipe(m): 7:45am On Sep 20, 2007
Col. 2: 16-17 should be read by all who condemn religious worships outside the Sabbath day.
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by ricadelide(m): 8:13am On Sep 20, 2007
Ndipe:

Col. 2: 16-17 should be read by all who condemn religious worships outside the Sabbath day.
Most definitely. And also, for balance, Rom. 14.5 for all.
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by MP007(m): 8:25am On Sep 20, 2007
It really doesn't matter but Sunday/Saturday(depending on which one is actually the 7th day) is very improtant be-cos its regarded as the day of the lord,
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by dreamnaira(m): 8:55am On Sep 20, 2007
Ndipe
   The col2:16-17, you quoted is talking about a different thing, to be sure of that, read from th same col 2:13-17. There is diferent b/w ceremonial sabbaths and the sabbath of the DECALOGUE.

Read COL 2: from verse 14. It says 'blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, nailing it to his cross;' the cross reference of what Paul was saying see {Duet 31:24-26] 'When Moses had made an end of writting the book of the law in a book, untill they were finished'. verse 26, ', that it may be witness against thee'. Cross check these two to know what Paul was saying. The sabbath of the DECALOGUE is not handwritting of Moses and was not written in a book. The Sabbath of DECALOGUE was written by God on two tables of stone. It was not ORDINANCE sabbath and was not against us. It is a commemoration of God as your CREATOR.

The sabbath of the DECALOGUE was not given as a result of sin unlike the other commandment but had being before sin and wll never be destroy with sin. See {Isa 66:22,23} even in new heaven the sabbath wiil be holding because we re not going there to do any other thing than worship.

God Bless
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by pilgrim1(f): 9:11am On Sep 20, 2007
Hi @dreamnaira,

I've a few questions as regards the assumptions you often make on the subject of the sabbath:

[list][li]What really is the difference between what you call "ceremonial sabbaths" and "sabbath of the Decalogue"?[/li][/list]

[list][li]In what ways do they differ?[/li][/list]

[list][li]What are the significances of these two types of "sabbaths" you are trying to distinguish?[/li][/list]

[list][li]What really are the reasons why you think one is more important than the other?[/li][/list]

Thank you, and hope you'll be able to offer some pointers to these issues.

Cheers.
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by Ndipe(m): 9:22am On Sep 20, 2007
Dreamnaira, are you affiliated with seven day adventist? Abeg, dont misconstrue Biblical verses for your organizations/personal gain. If the Holy Bible has clearly stated that we cant be judged on the days we choose to worship God, then, you dont have any legal right to judge we, who worship on Sunday. The most important message is that Jesus Christ came to die for all of us, for our eternal salvation, so worshipping God either on Sunday or Saturday is irrelevant. I have noticed that the religious body that attempts to affirm, or even suggest that the Sabbath is the right day of worship, are typically those who are at loggerheads with the Roman Catholic Church. While I dont agree with some of their beliefs, then again, for worshipping on Sunday however is not wrong. I browsed through one site that stipulates that the Sabbath day is the only prescribed day of Worshipping God, and they listed the reasons. Though I have to admit that I did a cursory glance at those reasons, there was no mention of the Biblical Verse that I cited that has refused to condemn non adherents of the Sabbath day as the rightful day of Worshipping the Supreme Being. Lets pray to God to open our eyes and direct us in His Paths, which can only be accomplished in the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by dreamnaira(m): 9:40am On Sep 20, 2007
Pilgrim.1

The different b/w sabbath of the ordinance and the sabbath of the DECALOGUE is simple to understand. The sabbath of the ordinance eg. sabbath of the PASSOVER was antitype of the Children of God passingover to the heavenly Caanan which Christ was the fulfillment. The lamb used on this ceremony was pointing ro christ {the llamb of God that was slained before the fundation of the world}. While on the other hand the sabbath of the DECALOGUE was given man through out there generation to acknowledge God as their CREATOR.
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by pilgrim1(f): 9:46am On Sep 20, 2007
@dreamnaira,

I'm sorry to take that explanation as treating matters only on the surface - especially because I don't see how you have actually distinguished between both types of "sabbaths" you're trying to distinguish. Could you please provide some references to articulate how they are distinguished or delineated into

* sabbath of the ordinance (or 'ceremonial sabbaths')
* sabbath of the Decalogue?

What precisely did either of them involve that we could not find in the other? And what are the reasons why you think one was more important than the other?
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by dreamnaira(m): 1:25pm On Sep 20, 2007
Pilgrim.1

Going through my previous posts you will see the differences of the two sabbaths and the importance of the seventh-day sabbath to the ceremonial sabbath few references i provided to guide you, so telling me to delineate it again for me seem to be perambulating over issue that had been treated.
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by pilgrim1(f): 1:29pm On Sep 20, 2007
@dreamnaira,

Lol. . . when you made reference to the two types of "sabbaths", I replied to show that there was no such thing. For you to have repeated the same thing only meant that it was necessary that you defend the same ideas by pointing them out in Scripture - and then showing what distinctions there are, if any, between them.

Could you help us do that? Thank you.

If, however, you may not be able to do that, then we take it that you made an inference which is not taught in the Bible. All the same, no wahala - enjoy.

Grace. cheesy
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by dreamnaira(m): 2:37pm On Sep 20, 2007
Pilgrim.1

Do we continue in sin that grace shall abound?
Through christ who trengthen me i can do all things.
Do we then say the law is sin? {Rom 7:7}

The THREE ANGEL MESSAGE which is message for this our generation goes thou  'And i saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the EVERLASTING GOSPEL to preach unto them that DWELL on the EARTH, and to EVERY NATION, KINDRED, and TONGUE and PEOPLE. saying wth a loud voice, FEAR GOD AND GIVE HIM GLORY, THE HOUR OF HIS JUDGEMENT IS COME: AND WORSHIP HIM THAT MADE HEAVEN AND EARTH, THE SEA AND FOUNTAINS OOF WATERS.'

That is my message to WORSHIP HIM THAT MADE HEAVEN AND EARTH. f or those of you that say it doesn't matter, no it that it does matter because sabbath is to acknowledge Him that made heaven and earth. Remember the controversy b/w christ and satan is not who is stronger, but who to worship; who is saying the truth?

You can observe any day but remember the seventh day to commemorate God as your creator. 'If the years should make wrong right the devil would well deserve to be the most just one on earth for he is now over five thousand years old' said by Martin Luther.
That you have been keeping sunday for more than a thousand years can't make it right since you can't find support in the Bible for keeping it.
Or you can make me a liar if you can give only one Bilble verse that says we should worship on sunday.
Re: Does It Matter The Day We Worship? by pilgrim1(f): 2:46pm On Sep 20, 2007
@deamnaira,

I don't think there's any need to beat this subject further if it's not yielding good returns. The question here is not about whether or not to "worship" God; but rather it matters that such worship should be done on a particular day. Seventh-day sabbatarians insit it MUST be Saturday according to the Sinaitic Law; but my replies are simply to show that such an insistence misses the whole point of what the Law points out.

Now, if the message of the angel in Revelation you hinted above is about the "sabbath" Law, could you help us see the point? But if it is not so, what then should we make of your replies?

I'm interested in the topic of this thread; and look forward to whatever is being contributed that would be of substance to further our understanding thereto.

Regards.

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Atheists Who Lost Faith In Atheism / A Woman's Place In The Church And The Weak Church Elder / Husband / Short Time Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.