Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,106 members, 7,818,305 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria (611 Views)

ASUU Strike: Committee Of VCs Recommend ₦800,000 For Profs, To Resolve Deadlock / Sexual Misconduct: OAU, UNIABUJA Dismiss Four Profs, 14 Others / Letter Of Acceptance For A Lecturing Job Offer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by Stupidanimal: 5:04pm On Dec 28, 2023
My father has been disturbing me to enroll for masters degree, even promising me heaven and earth that, he would without fail, get me a lecturing job. We have been on it since 2017. This is not a thread for that and I don't want response to that end.

My question is, how do people get a lecturing job. Say I want a Federal University, then how would I go about it? The approach is going to be a bit different for state instituions but I guess that both of these would require a job Opening by the institution in one or more newspapers and a qualifying exam.

Would it be easier in Kebbi state university if my father is friends with let's say kebbi state governor?

Another question is, do you think it is worth the stress and haggle pursing a masters degree in hope of a lecturing job? Because, obviously, a masters is only useful to that end. Put differently, how hard is getting the job with or without connections. Do you think if one has the money then getting a federal job isn't going to be difficult
Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by Owutuotuo(m): 5:22pm On Dec 28, 2023
First, a Master’s isn’t to the end that you get a lecturing job. It just helps tailor your academic interest, which may in turn be very helpful in a professional evironment. But of course, you need a Master’s degree to get a lecturing job.

The most I’ve seen of becoming an academic staff is through man-know-man and/or finishing top of the class. Albeit the department’s interest in bringing you on bird base on either or both of those two factors, a formal application will be required.

My opinion (subject to correction based on others’ experiences).

2 Likes

Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by Stupidanimal: 6:19pm On Dec 28, 2023
Owutuotuo:
First, a Master’s isn’t to the end that you get a lecturing job. It just helps tailor your academic interest, which may in turn be very helpful in a professional evironment. But of course, you need a Master’s degree to get a lecturing job.

The most I’ve seen of becoming an academic staff is through man-know-man and/or finishing top of the class. Albeit the department’s interest in bringing you on bird base on either or both of those two factors, a formal application will be required.

I agree. It's man-know-man.

Statistically, what are the odds of a brilliant randomie securing a lecturing job in 2 yrs time - in present Nigeria?

I'm so concerned. Why would I waste another 18 month for something that's not sure at all. Is there a shortage of lecturers vis-a-vis the number of masters degrees holder applying for these jobs in Nigeria?

Like secondary schools and their constant lookout for teachers, can the same be said of private, state and public institutions?

1 Like

Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by Stupidanimal: 6:23pm On Dec 28, 2023
If you have written qualifying exams for the position of a lecturer in our institution, how many applicants wrote the exams with you?
Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by Stupidanimal: 8:55pm On Dec 28, 2023
Is this the right section to post this?
Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by DyingFetus: 5:35am On Dec 29, 2023
Get a PhD and contact me

I'll help you get one for free
Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by honour7: 7:59am On Dec 29, 2023
Stupidanimal:
My father has been disturbing me to enroll for masters degree, even promising me heaven and earth that, he would without fail, get me a lecturing job. We have been on it since 2017. This is not a thread for that and I don't want response to that end.

My question is, how do people get a lecturing job. Say I want a Federal University, then how would I go about it? The approach is going to be a bit different for state instituions but I guess that both of these would require a job Opening by the institution in one or more newspapers and a qualifying exam.

Would it be easier in Kebbi state university if my father is friends with let's say kebbi state governor?

Another question is, do you think it is worth the stress and haggle pursing a masters degree in hope of a lecturing job? Because, obviously, a masters is only useful to that end. Put differently, how hard is getting the job with or without connections. Do you think if one has the money then getting a federal job isn't going to be difficult

Since 2017, u are not serious masters by now would have been done and dusted and you would have been 3 years into your PhD. by now.

All u need is to have graduated with a 2:1 and make more than 60percent in your masters, 65percent is nice, apply for PhD. with that you can apply for lecturing Job. If you made a 2:2 you have to complete your PhD. to get a lecturing job in a federal institution

1 Like

Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by Stupidanimal: 11:37am On Dec 29, 2023
honour7:

Since 2017, u are not serious masters by now would have been done and dusted and you would have been 3 years into your PhD. by now.

All u need is to have graduated with a 2:1 and make more than 60percent in your masters, 65percent is nice, apply for PhD. with that you can [b]apply [/b]for lecturing Job. If you made a 2:2 you have to complete your PhD. to get a lecturing job in a federal institution

It seems to me that you don't know how these things work. You don't apply for federal government job. In fact, you don't apply for government work, whether at federal or state level. The institution notifies the federal or state government of a shortage in available manpower, then the government gives a go-ahead to hire and it doesn't happen often. That is how it is done. And then, I am not even talking about applying and passing the school's qualifying exams which is still not a guarantee because there are quite a number of prospective applicants jostling for these positions. Do you think masters degree holders have it easy securing lecturing jobs?
Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by Stupidanimal: 12:00pm On Dec 29, 2023
Owutuotuo:

Do people apply for lecturing jobs?

Some years ago while I was still serving in Taraba state, I went to the state teaching board to plead with them for employment into any of their secondary schools. They told me their hands are tied, that there is nothing they could do to help, and that I would have to wait for an opening by the state government for teachers. It seems to me that the same is applicable in all federal and state government jobs. Jobs are not gotten by application.

The institution (whether a secondary sch, a polytechnic or a university) first notifies the federal or state government of a shortage in available manpower, then the government gives them a go-ahead to hire (which is usually published in newspapers under the guise of transparency) and it doesn't happen often. That is how it is done, or is it done differently?
Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by Stupidanimal: 12:41pm On Dec 29, 2023
honour7:

All u need is to have graduated with a 2:1 and make more than 60percent in your masters, 65percent is nice, apply for PhD. with that you can apply for lecturing Job. If you made a 2:2 you have to complete your PhD. to get a lecturing job in a federal institution

I had a 2:2 though, but I want to ask you, did mortal man come to this life only to spend a very large part of it pursuing western education? Pursuing a PhD would take you another 5 or 6 years.

The number of years spent in school is as follows:
6--3--3--4--1.5(18 months)--5

If you take 23 years from a man's life, you know how far gone that would be?
Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by honour7: 12:45pm On Dec 29, 2023
Stupidanimal:

It seems to me that you don't know how these things work. You don't apply for federal government job. In fact, you don't apply for government work, whether at federal or state level. The institution notifies the federal or state government of a shortage in available manpower, then the government gives a go-ahead to hire and it doesn't happen often. That is how it is done. And then, I am not even talking about applying and passing the school's qualifying exams which is still not a guarantee because there are quite a number of prospective applicants jostling for these positions. Do you think masters degree holders have it easy securing lecturing jobs?

Oga, them dey apply dey get am, in federal Uni government long leg is for non academic positions. For lecturing long leg is like 30percent of employment, especially now that people have japa finish there are lots of vacancies.

The scope to get lecturing job is 1. Get masters look for private uni to be gaining experience while doing PhD with publications, once u can finish your PhD. You can apply to federal uni.

Look for a PhD. Supervisor that is a real authority like an old prof. their recommendation hold water and most times when any uni need staff in a particular area, they do notify these profs to send/ recommend candidate for them, you can be lucky.

Don't wait for vacancies, go to the department you wish to apply in any Uni, drop Cv. That is if u have a good result, speak to the HOD very important, if u do well, if there is any vacancies you will be notified.

Lastly not to be under estimated, do research for your tribes person that is a prof, if you have a good result beg am with your dialect, before you do like 5, one will recommend u.

Note don't be too desperate all else u no go know when you join cult, God's time is the best, I stayed home doing small business b4 I got a good job after 13years post graduation but when God's time came it came big.

1 Like

Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by honour7: 12:56pm On Dec 29, 2023
Stupidanimal:

I had a 2:2 though, but I want to ask you, did mortal man come to this life only to spend a very large part of it pursuing western education? Pursuing a PhD would take you another 5 or 6 years.

The number of years spent in school is as follows:
6--3--3--4--1.5(18 months)--5

If you take 23 years from a man's life, you know how far gone that would be?

Guy man must do what he must do oh, na who give up fu.k up

if you have someone to sponsor u do it oh, na I wish say I do am nai worst pass.
You can be doing any work you find and live your normal life while doing your PhD not compulsory you must not be working or be in laboratory or field 24 hours just plan your time.
Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by Stupidanimal: 1:06pm On Dec 29, 2023
honour7:

Oga, them dey apply dey get am, in federal Uni government long leg is for non academic positions. For lecturing long leg is like 30percent of employment, especially now that people have japa finish there are lots of vacancies.

The scope to get lecturing job is 1. Get masters look for private uni to be gaining experience while doing PhD with publications, once u can finish your PhD. You can apply to federal uni.

Look for a PhD. Supervisor that is a real authority like an old prof. their recommendation hold water and most times when any uni need staff in a particular area, they do notify these profs to send/ recommend candidate for them, you can be lucky.

Don't wait for vacancies, go to the department you wish to apply in any Uni, drop Cv. That is if u have a good result, speak to the HOD very important, if u do well, if there is any vacancies you will be notified.

Lastly not to be under estimated, do research for your tribes person that is a prof, if you have a good result beg am with your dialect, before you do like 5, one will recommend u.

Note don't be too desperate all else u no go know when you join cult, God's time is the best, I stayed home doing small business b4 I got a good job after 13years post graduation but when God's time came it came big.

There are two ways to get a government job -- which is, man-know-man and by merit.

I have reiterated my position based on merit, not man-know-man or connections. Now, if I get you correctly, you are talking based on long leg or man-know-man. Not necessarily that you have worked as a lecturer but do you have acquaintances who are working as lecturers?

[quote author=honour7 post=127679338]
[quote]

You seem to be making a point here that getting a lecturing job with a masters degree is a bit difficult because everyone now has it.

[quote author=honour7 post=127679338]
[quote]

So it is now a subject of being lucky. Hmm. You comments have been very helpful though, but dropping CV in a university almost never works.
Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by Stupidanimal: 1:09pm On Dec 29, 2023
honour7:

Guy man must do what he must do oh, na who give up fu.k up

if you have someone to sponsor u do it oh, na I wish say I do am nai worst pass.
You can be doing any work you find and live your normal life while doing your PhD not compulsory you must not be working or be in laboratory or field 24 hours just plan your time.

Not in this country boss. I would never regret not pursuing further qualifications as long as Nigeria continues to be the way it is.
Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by Stupidanimal: 1:13pm On Dec 29, 2023
DyingFetus:
Get a PhD and contact me

If you have a job for me in a federal institution in this country then it means that you have a job for me in other federal institutions and agencies. Should I contact you? I am not interested in lecturing.
Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by honour7: 3:26pm On Dec 29, 2023
Stupidanimal:

There are two ways to get a government job -- which is, man-know-man and by merit.

I have reiterated my position based on merit, not man-know-man or connections. Now, if I get you correctly, you are talking based on long leg or man-know-man. Not necessarily that you have worked as a lecturer but do you have acquaintances who are working as lecturers?

I don't know if u are in the medical field or not, it's very easy to get a job in Nigeria if u have a PhD in any of the pre clinical courses, as I said before I got a good job after 13years post graduation, just because I did not rest as I was looking for a job I was doing business on the side, and going to school, though I had a sponsor so I was augmenting. Now my salary is almost 10 times a normal BSc. Salary. I have 2 adjunct lecturer position with 2 different schools and a full time supervisor role for a company,

from no job to 3 jobs. My 1 year salary wiped out the tears of the last 13 years. I say it again if u have a sponsor continue schooling, sorry to say your Dad will not be around forever grab what u can grab now or later you may regret it. This is what I always tell my self to give me motivation, when God's favour comes and I get a job wouldn't it be better I get a PhD job than a BSc. Job.
Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by Stupidanimal: 4:24pm On Dec 29, 2023
honour7:

I don't know if u are in the medical field or not, it's very easy to get a job in Nigeria if u have a PhD in any of the pre clinical courses, as I said before I got a good job after 13years post graduation, just because I did not rest as I was looking for a job I was doing business on the side, and going to school, though I had a sponsor so I was augmenting. Now my salary is almost 10 times a normal BSc. Salary. I have 2 adjunct lecturer position with 2 different schools and a full time supervisor role for a company,

from no job to 3 jobs. My 1 year salary wiped out the tears of the last 13 years. I say it again if u have a sponsor continue schooling, sorry to say your Dad will not be around forever grab what u can grab now or later you may regret it. This is what I always tell my self to give me motivation, when God's favour comes and I get a job wouldn't it be better I get a PhD job than a BSc. Job.

Thank you. You talk of a PhD job as though there are jobs that require a PhD for a start, or jobs that would only take PhD holders.

Sure, there are not many PhD holders because it takes a lot of time to be one, but I can tell you for free that a PhD holder is not much better off in the Nigerian labour market than a B.Sc holder. Of course, save in the field of academia which is not up for dispute.

Would I want to spend another 5 years of my life fighting it off to obtain this PhD certification that is only useful in higher institutions? NO! Thank God for your life.Thank God! God has been merciful to you, but I am very sure you didn't get the supervisor role because you had a PhD or even an Msc.

If I had that supervisor role and I was getting paid let's say 120k, maybe I wouldn't be here discussing with you.
Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by honour7: 6:17pm On Dec 29, 2023
Stupidanimal:

Thank you. You talk of a PhD job as though there are jobs that require a PhD for a start, or jobs that would

If I had that supervisor role and I was getting paid let's say 120k, maybe I wouldn't be here discussing with you.

Well just follow your heart and pray about it, cause I believe the heart sees what the normal eyes cannot see. It's true that what worked for me may not work for you
Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by Stupidanimal: 6:19pm On Dec 29, 2023
honour7:

Well just follow your heart and pray about it, cause I believe the heart sees what the normal eyes cannot see. It's true that what worked for me may not work for you

My oga.
Re: Profs In Da House. Serious Question: How Does One Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria by profisraelight: 3:40pm On Jan 25
DyingFetus:
Get a PhD and contact me

Getting a PhD requires a lot of resources. It was because of this above statement that made me use all my savings to pursue a master's degree and now there's still no Job.
I met some persons whom I believe were connected and they told me to get a master's degree and I would be sure of getting a job. As it is now, I don't even know what to do next. Lecturing has been a passion for me but unfortunately I don't have the right connections, nobody seems ready to help.

(1) (Reply)

Bauchi State Banned Mix Education .( Boys And Girls). / "so It's This Easy To Succeed In Nigeria" / Ui 2008/2009 Post Ume Exams Part2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.